I started with LDD/LDU

Then recently i tampered with ldraw and MCLAD.

I love the idea of MCLAD and what you can do with the bricks.

I was under the impression as well that there were hardly no bricks missing.

I was surprised to find that I was quite wrong.

Brick # (in LDD) 52036 4x12 baseplate isnt in the ldraw library!

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!!

While we are on the subject,how many parts does ldraw have actually VS LDU

Thanks,

I'm not sure of the exact parts counts for either program. Something I'm curious about myself.

I do know LDraw has mostly older parts whereas LDD LU has many newer ones. It really depends on what you're building. For today's elements and building techniques employed by sets, LDD is currently better, but LDraw has an advantage in that you don't have to wait for TLG to update the parts library. If you really really really need that brick, you can try modelling it yourself. (although I have no clue as to how that is done)

Thanks a bunch Philio.

I thought all the parts would be in the install file that they created(but it seems that only has 2006 parts)

I knew my gut feeling was right!!!

I thought all the parts would be in the install file that they created(but it seems that only has 2006 parts

Mmhhh... looks like we need to either update the installer or to put a big warning there!

As for parts count, LDD has about 1800 parts while LDraw is around 6500 (including unofficial parts). But these raw figures are very unfair, as each patterned piece count as a part in LDraw, while 1800 LDD parts figure mean 1800 different shapes.

Almost missed this topic.... the all-in-one installer at LDraw.org is definitely not the best way to get started. Not only is the parts library out of date, but the programs included have evolved a lot since then. LDview has added many new functions, LSynth has changed to the point where it is almost a different program and MLCad needs an up to dat MLCad.ini to be able to take advantage of those new features.

Because of this, I recently posted a short tutorial on getting a working set of LDraw tools on your PC at TechnicBRICKS. A slightly longer version of the same tutorial will be in Hispabrick Magazine 010 which will be out early next month.

I'm just starting using MLCad and am trying to build something relatively simple, a replica of the new off-roader, 8066.

I'm a bit stuck trying to find a couple of parts, specifically the small steering wheel, listed as 4211701 in the build docs and the small balloon tyres, listed as 4506553.

I think I've downloaded and scanned the latest Unofficial parts but am still struggling. I don't know if they're there and I just can't find them; or they're not and I don't know how to know that they're not.

Can anyone give a few pointers on how to install a specific part if you only know its part number? And how to find it in the MLCAD parts inventory list/tree once installed?

Thanks.

The part numbers you are using are LEGO part numbers and are not much use for anything but ordering stuff from LEGO. Have a look at the inventory on BL or Peeron and use the numbers you find there to locate the parts with the search function included in MLCad (Ctrl+F).

Almost missed this topic.... the all-in-one installer at LDraw.org is definitely not the best way to get started. Not only is the parts library out of date, but the programs included have evolved a lot since then. LDview has added many new functions, LSynth has changed to the point where it is almost a different program and MLCad needs an up to dat MLCad.ini to be able to take advantage of those new features.

Because of this, I recently posted a short tutorial on getting a working set of LDraw tools on your PC at TechnicBRICKS. A slightly longer version of the same tutorial will be in Hispabrick Magazine 010 which will be out early next month.

Excellent tutorial! I'll put a link in the index topic

I'm just starting using MLCad and am trying to build something relatively simple, a replica of the new off-roader, 8066.

I'm a bit stuck trying to find a couple of parts, specifically the small steering wheel, listed as 4211701 in the build docs and the small balloon tyres, listed as 4506553.

I think I've downloaded and scanned the latest Unofficial parts but am still struggling. I don't know if they're there and I just can't find them; or they're not and I don't know how to know that they're not.

Can anyone give a few pointers on how to install a specific part if you only know its part number? And how to find it in the MLCAD parts inventory list/tree once installed?

Thanks.

I don't want to say mlcad is bad, but (especially) for technic models you can better use SR3d builder. It's a mix between ldd and mlcad/ldraw. It's :thumbup: :thumbup: .

Mmhhh... looks like we need to either update the installer or to put a big warning there!

Looks like the warning won and a link to the tutorial at TBs has been added!! :sweet:

Looks like the warning won and a link to the tutorial at TBs has been added!! :sweet:

Hi Jetro,

Sorry, I updated the page at LDraw but forgot to keep you in touch. Now it would be even better to put your tutorial directly on LDraw website... :wink:

Hi Jetro,

Sorry, I updated the page at LDraw but forgot to keep you in touch. Now it would be even better to put your tutorial directly on LDraw website... :wink:

You're welcome to do it.

The part numbers you are using are LEGO part numbers and are not much use for anything but ordering stuff from LEGO. Have a look at the inventory on BL or Peeron and use the numbers you find there to locate the parts with the search function included in MLCad (Ctrl+F).

Perfect, many thanks.

First effort

Parts were

"Tyre 37 18R" which was right next to the one I'd chosen, blind! and

"Car Steering Wheel Large" which there's no way I'd have found on my own.

Thanks again.

Rather than start a new thread, I hope it's ok to add to this one.

I'm struggling with the same issue - 32019, 32020 in LDD (62.4 x 20 S wheel + tyre) is in LDD and SR3D but I can't find it for LDraw/MLCAD, and I really struggle to use SR3D at all effectively.

Rather than start a new thread, I hope it's ok to add to this one.

I'm struggling with the same issue - 32019, 32020 in LDD (62.4 x 20 S wheel + tyre) is in LDD and SR3D but I can't find it for LDraw/MLCAD, and I really struggle to use SR3D at all effectively.

If you're willing to use unofficial parts, here's parts 32019 and 32020 for .ldr programs.