Sign in to follow this  
AncientCiv

Most likely new licensed themes of 2012

List of the movies releases coming out in 2012 (or December 2011) most likely to see a LEGO licensed theme.

1) Brave (set in mythic Scotland)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_%282012_film%29

2) John Carter of Mars (Martian theme)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_of_Mars_%28film%29

3) The Lone Ranger (Western Theme)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lone_Ranger_%282012_film%29

4) Unbound Captives (Western Theme)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unbound_Captives

5) National Treasure 3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Treasure_%28franchise%29#National_Treasure_3_.282011.29

6) Clash of the Titans (set in mythical Ancient Greece)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_the_Titans_%282010_film%29

Which would you like to see created into a LEGO theme?

Me, I'd love Clash of the Titans. We'd finally have a theme set in Ancient Greece! Sadly, this is also the theme least likely to happen since it is not Disney and the first movie was PG-13. Not a kid friendly movie I guess, which obviously isn't good since LEGO is a toy mostly marketed toward kids.

If I had to guess, I'd say The Lone Ranger is the front runner...

You forgot to list The Avengers... it's being produced by Marvel Studios, and released through Walt Disney Pictures.

But from your list, the most reasonable seems to be National Treasure 3 assuming it ever gets made.

Since Brave would conflict with Kingdom themes; John Carter would conflict with space themes, The Lone Ranger and Unbound Captives are unlikely, though they are made by Disney, their fanbase wouldn't be as large as the other series. And finally, Clash of the Titans belongs to Warner Bros. a competitor of Disney.

~t7_c

What a great idea for a thread. WB also has Harry potter don't forget so don't tule it out completely.

There has to be something to appeal to Lego in terms of the scope it gives them to produce sets. Vehicles, playsets, and a theme consistently popular with boys.

I'd love clash of the titans but i just don't see it happening. Avengers is a real possibility to me but i actually hope that with Lego preferring to concentrate on less themes, that they decide there is nothing new worth pursuing and so continue with the PotC and HP ranges.

Wishful thinking though!

My two cents worth here......Lone Ranger......reason, well two reasons.....1. Disney and 2. JD is in it !

Plus as AFOL's have been waiting a long time for the Western theme to make a comeback....'Klaus-Dieter' would be very happy if it did !

Brick On Everyone !

to be honest I dont think any of these would make the lego sets.

Just because we got Prince of Persia, Toy Story, and POTC doesn't mean that we will get a new one next year.

But if we did, I would love to see national Treasures for his treasures, Clash of the titans for his mystical creatures, or unbound because we haven't had a western set in ages.

Clash of the Titans would be an awesome range. I'm hoping for a new Batman re-release in late 2012 to crank up the momentum for the next Batman movie.

Hi there,

Western - I think that the western would be great, especially if it isn't licensed as we'd get yellow heads yay :laugh:

We have been waiting a very long time for this and hope this does come to fruition, fingers crossed.

Space - Lego already has Alien Conquest coming out in July which I'd imagine will continue through 2012.

National Tresure 3 - I'm looking forward to the movie but TLG already has Pharoh's Quest which may have subthemes for 2012 I hope.

Clash of the Titans - I'm all for a greek/roman theme but I think it's too early, I'd imagine this could be possible with the discontinuation of Kingdoms theme so the 2 don't 'clash'.

:laugh:

Cheers.

If they are all suitable for children, then I'd say any could be a new theme. Personally, I'd like to see the mythical Scotland one, National Treasure, one of the western films and the Clash of the Titans. Although, are you sure there's going to be a Clash of the Titans? Wasn't there one made in 2010?

Although, are you sure there's going to be a Clash of the Titans? Wasn't there one made in 2010?

You're quite right Gregorovitch. Clash of the Titans already came and went in 2010. Even the link you provided AcientCiv, is a link to the Wikipedia page for the 2010 film. Why did you include that when it's an already released film and doesn't correspond to your topic?

Clash of the Titans already came and went in 2010. Even the link you provided AcientCiv, is a link to the Wikipedia page for the 2010 film. Why did you include that when it's an already released film and doesn't correspond to your topic?

Apparently there's a sequel in the making, scheduled to appear in March 2012. The first film wasn't that successful though, so I'd say it's nigh unthinkable that Lego would bother a licence theme, especially considering that the film series is not aimed towards Lego's target demographics (neither was PoP, admittedly). If they really wanted to do a theme based on Greek mythology, they could easily do it on their own as a non-licenced, more playable and more kid-oriented theme. The producers of the films can't really claim copyright on thousand-year-old legends, after all.

I am amazed Lego haven't already explored the ideas of Ancient greek mythology or 1001 arabian nights more fully yet. There is a sequel planned for Clash of the titans but I don't see it happening. Besides the original is still better!

Licence?

Licence?

Who needs a licence when you got a LEGO movie coming in 2012.....

http://lego.movie-trailer.com/

But with Indy 5 and PoP 2 i think those lines will continue for a while.

As for a new theme/licence... mm difficult I'd love to see Mass Effect LEGO :tongue: (Also movie coming 2012), most likely...

The Avengers i think, allthough a new western theme would be cool.

Edited by BasOne

Im hoping its the Lone Ranger as

1. Disney has revealed how successful theyve been with Lego, and this movie seem likely

2. Johnny Depp is in it so it would deffinately be one of the stand out movies

3. We havent seen Western for a LONG time and it would be lovely to see it return :laugh:

Sets based on Greek mythology would be cool but why bother licensing it as Clash/Wrath of the Titans?

'snip'

Indiana Jones (Hopefully)

Agreed.

But with Indy 5 and PoP 2 i think those lines will continue for a while.

Can see Indiana Jones continuing but think they will steer clear of any more POP sets as the first ones didn't sell as well as TLG would have liked, hence them now on discount almost everywhere they're for slae.

Why not The Hobbit!? It would lead to Lord of the Rings sets! That would be the best!

Don't forget The Dark Knight Rises leading to a possible revival of the Batman line in the summer. default_laugh2.gif

What, nobody likes John Carter anymore? I'd LOVE to see some John Carter Lego, but I think it's highly unlikely that it will happen.

The Hobbit would totally be my dream theme, but that doesn't seem likely to me either. It would probably cost TLG way too much money and conflict with Kingdoms or whatever the next Castle theme is going to be.

I think out of the movies listed, the Lone Ranger is probably the most likely. But I'm also hopeful for a Batman revival. Not too interested in the Lone Ranger, as a movie or a Lego theme.

You forgot to list The Avengers... it's being produced by Marvel Studios, and released through Walt Disney Pictures.

~t7_c

Thanks! You're right, I remember looking at The Avengers but forgot to add it to my list.

The Avengers is up there with the Lone Ranger as a top contender IMO, even though personally I'd rather not see it become a LEGO theme. Just doesn't interest me at all.

Why not The Hobbit!? It would lead to Lord of the Rings sets! That would be the best!

The Hobbit probably won't come out in theaters until at earliest 2013.

Don't forget The Dark Knight Rises leading to a possible revival of the Batman line in the summer. default_laugh2.gif

Good catch. I totally overlooked The Dark Knight Rises. If 2011 is the last year for Harry Potter sets (not sure if it is?) then it makes sense that a revival of the Batman theme will happen in 2012.

Based on the comments, I'd say that the following 3 movies are the most likely (of the ones listed above) to become LEGO licensed themes:

1) The Dark Knight Rises (Batman)

2) The Avengers

3) Lone Ranger (Western)

A batman revival is most likely, as TLG still owes us some new sets with ManBat, Mad Hatter, and Clayface, like the videogame!!! ;) i think they should make: The Hunger Games!! They probably won't, though, as it will be pretty gory.

A batman revival is most likely, as TLG still owes us some new sets with ManBat, Mad Hatter, and Clayface, like the videogame!!!

I agree! Every time I play LEGO Batman I wish there were actual Minifigures of those characters.

I just hope they choose to base the sets on the comics instead of the movies again if they renew the line. However, I wouldn't oppose to a Nolanverse Batman line if it came to that. A Dark Knight Joker minifig would be great. default_laugh_new.gif