legokuate

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 4 discussion

See, I don't even consider it blind packaging when there are very easy-to-use charts around to get the figs you want. The barcodes were annoying but the bumps are very easy to see.

And what exactly is a "filler" minifig? They're all useful! I may not like all of them but they all have a unique purpose.

personally I have a helluva time with the dots and much prefer the barcodes.

But that still doesn't make it blind packaging.

That's most likely a cultural problem, as our information-driven and text based culture puts strong emphasis on visual perception, whereas other senses, as the tactile one used for feeling those dots, are underdeveloped in most people. Simply because there's no need to use it on a regular basis to clearly distinguish textures and the like. By this light many people would prefer barcodes or any other kind of indicator they could see.

So in the end it is a matter of training and getting used to it. :-)

Be well all!

Cutty

Or 12. But I agree, 16 is too many.

12 would be a good number, particularly to go with those minifigure collection cases.

I don't think 16 is too many, it allows us to have variety and increases the chances that we'll each get something we want. I would, however, prefer for the series to be available for longer, perhaps even overlap other series.

The thing that bothers me is that we don't know which figures we are buying. I wanted quite a few of the series 2 figures but kept getting ones I already had or didn't want, so rather than keep going I stopped buying. I am now an unhappy customer, having spent lots of money on things I don't want. I would be prepared to go out and buy all the figures I like, including ones I only half-like. However, I'm not willing to pay for items I'm not guaranteed to get if I don't like them 100%.

Just got the square 2011 (Jan-May) catalog from a local shop here in Germany – it confirms April as a release date for the orange-wrapped Series 4 (and January for Series 3). Good to know we (probably) won't have to wait longer here this time. :)

I don't think 16 is too many, it allows us to have variety and increases the chances that we'll each get something we want. I would, however, prefer for the series to be available for longer, perhaps even overlap other series.

The thing that bothers me is that we don't know which figures we are buying. I wanted quite a few of the series 2 figures but kept getting ones I already had or didn't want, so rather than keep going I stopped buying. I am now an unhappy customer, having spent lots of money on things I don't want. I would be prepared to go out and buy all the figures I like, including ones I only half-like. However, I'm not willing to pay for items I'm not guaranteed to get if I don't like them 100%.

I couldn't agree more. I liked the s1 skateboarder at the start, but I stopped because I kept getting loads of him, and none of the ones I wanted. I only got 10 unique figs from s1, and most of them were from my friend.

Also, does anyone know if s3 are available in Argos and WHSmith in the UK yet, or are they just in Lego stores?

Edited by Ravenclaw2010

does anyone know if s3 are available in Argos and WHSmith in the UK yet, or are they just in Lego stores?

Only at Lego stores until January, word is.

Saying it will "burn out soon" is a big assumption that people have been making since Series 2, and from what I've seen nothing's come of it. Also, "filler minifigs" is a very subjective matter. Some people disliked the Space Villain and would have considered it "filler" and an excuse to throw around mismatched pieces, while other people (like myself) were nuts about it and considered it one of the most brilliant figs of Series 3.

It would probably burn out not because lack of creativity from TLG but because of consumer exposition. Series 3 have not even arrived all countries and we are already know all about series 4, I am starting to think series 5 pics will start appearing soon and that's 48 minifigs to worry about, in a year when the figs finally arrive my country, I will have 64 figs to collect in a single pair of months. This year it was precariously doable 32 figs, but 64 will be crazy, In my opinion this sort of over exposition will discourage people.

The blind packaging, of course is a real factor that makes less minifigures better (for the buyer, anyway). A 1-in-8 chance of getting the fig you want is a lot better than a 1-in-16 chance. And with 8 figs you stand to get the full collection in far fewer purchases (vexorian, was that you who calculated the average amount you'd have to buy randomly to complete a full collection? Or am I confusing you with someone else?).

For series 2, you needed 58.1549 purchases to complete a set, if we were to imagine that the amounts for rarity group were divided by 2, it is not very accurate because of odd numbers, but how about: 25% chance to get one fig, 40% chance to get one of 3 figs and 40% chance to get one of 4 three figs, the number of purchases is 26.088, but it is very speculative because we wouldn't know what probability distribution TLG would use for 8 figs. For example, if they made each of the figs equally likely, it would be 21.7429, and if they made one minifig VERY rare (1/60) and the other equally likely, the average required purchase would be 63.0134, so TLG has a lot of freedom there. What I can tell you is that less minifig types per wave would increase availability, unless TLG also moved to 30 figs per box.

Of course, there's no telling whether this is a concern LEGO has. Certainly the factor I mentioned in my last post might have a greater impact on sales than buyers LEGO can already count on to try and complete a whole collection. If you're already trying to complete a collection from each series, then you're essentially telling LEGO that they can still get your money from a sixteen-figs-per-series sales model. So it would be hard to convince them that an eight-figs-per-series sales model would be more profitable. The best way for them to guarantee the maximum profit would be to appeal to the people who aren't dead-set on a full collection-- people who are only interested in a smaller gamble, with a few particular figs grabbing their interest.

I am not trying. I didn't even get a chance. I was lucky to even get 6 figs of series 1. If I could have do it, I would have tried for series 1 and 2, but that's the sort of interest that would easily burn out with so many figs per year. In 2010 it was simple with 32 figs, 64 figs next year and I don't think so...

Edited by vexorian

For series 2, you needed 58.1549 purchases to complete a set

No you don't, you only need 16 purchases to complete the set, that's what the cheat sheets are for. :)

I'm assuming the trick works for all countries not just the US though, I don't know if everyone has the luxury of having identifying marks like our packets :wacko:

Doubt that will happen

Agreed. These are completely different from Bionicle, because they appeal to a much, much larger fanbase (AFOLs, TFOLs, and children), whereas Bionicle (for the most part) appealed to children. Plus, TLG can barely keep these on the shelves. As long as they keep coming up with good ideas, I don't see these decreasing in number per series, ever, even if it will end eventually.

I would have to agree that 16 minifigs per series, and 4+ series per year, is too much. While plenty of AFOLs have a lot of money to spend on LEGO, at $3 or $4 a pack (because EVERYONE is marking these up) x 64 unique minifigs is nearly $300 with tax if you are looking at collecting them all. I can see how this is intended to be like a collectible card game, which also get expensive, but I'd rather have the series in production longer, even if that means the series overlap.

these minifigures should be seen as collectible items, 16 isn't so bad! Look at other collectible items, like pokemon wants us to collect all 500 cards or bakugan also has hundreds of those different balls to collect! If you look at it as a Lego product yes it might seem kinda too much but its supposed to be collectibles..

these minifigures should be seen as collectible items, 16 isn't so bad! Look at other collectible items, like pokemon wants us to collect all 500 cards or bakugan also has hundreds of those different balls to collect! If you look at it as a Lego product yes it might seem kinda too much but its supposed to be collectibles..

When I buy, I just pick the couple I think are the best cuz I don't have a City.

So the release date is set for April, but the Series 3 were set for January and I got a full set on the last day of November. Would it be possible to see these in early March?

I have so many MOC ideas that incorporate these! :wub:

I also can't wait for the Eurobricks contest :grin:

What Eurobricks contest? :wacko:

Lord Embo

Eurobricks held a contest for series 1 and 2. You need to make a vignette about a figure. :classic:

Maybe EB will do one for series 3 and 4 :classic:

Eurobricks held a contest for series 1 and 2. You need to make a vignette about a figure. :classic:

Maybe EB will do one for series 3 and 4 :classic:

If they do a contest for series 3, I may make a vignette using the Baseball Player.

Lord Embo

Edited by Lord Embo

What Eurobricks contest? :wacko:

Ah, sorry I didn't specify that there is no contest announced, I'm just assuming there will be one as the first two series each got one and members were quite excited about them. :classic: