Superkalle

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 4 Bugs and brick errors

Can someone confirm that the 6942 Lamp Shade has a hole also in the old SCALA sets from the late 90's. Otherwise we might be looking at two DesignID's - one with, and one without the hole.

The part is used in many SCALA sets, as well as the Battle Of Endor. In BoE, it is a trans-clear stand with a trans-clear bar attached to the top.

With the wide, open side of the dish on the floor, the bar cannot be attached.

The part is used in many SCALA sets, as well as the Battle Of Endor. In BoE, it is a trans-clear stand with a trans-clear bar attached to the top.

With the wide, open side of the dish on the floor, the bar cannot be attached.

Yes, I know the dish that is in the BoE has a hole, but does the 6942 that was in the old SCALA sets also have a hole?

1024x768 is my resolution :classic:

OK, I see it too. I guess the work-around is to hide the Windows status-bar :classic:

Yes, I know the dish that is in the BoE has a hole, but does the 6942 that was in the old SCALA sets also have a hole?

I've no idea. They're listed as the same part on Bricklink, so I guess it does also have a hole.

Also, some technic pin parts do not allow bars to be pushed in such as 'Module bush' and 'Stub w friction bush 3 m'

32138 and 41532 should most likely allow 3.2 bar in one module, but as you've pointed out this is not supported in LDD4. Does anyone know if this a technique that has been used in any official set for these two parts?

Regarding bushes and 3.2 mm bar in general, here's what's LEGO legal (and it now also work like this in LDD):

Allows the bar completely through

2780, 4274, 32002

Allow bar one module in

32556, 3673

Does not allow bar in at all (physcial stop at end)

6558, 32054

See attached LXF. I've used a red bar to signal that it can't go through, orange for one module, and green for all the way through. Neat, huh :laugh:

TechnicPinsand32mmbar.zip

post-4755-12883426123.jpg

32138 and 41532 should most likelky allow 3.2 bar in one module, but as you've pointed out this is not supported in LDD4. Does anyone know if this a technique that has been used in any official set for these two parts?

Regarding bushes and 3.2 mm bar in general, here's what's LEGO legal (and it now also work like this in LDD):

Allows the bar completely through

2780, 4274, 32002

Allow bar one module in

32556, 3673

Does not allow bar in at all (physcial stop at end)

6558, 32054

See attached LXF. I've used a red bar to signal that it can't go through, orange for one module, and green for all the way through. Neat, huh :laugh:

Cool the bar can now go through friction pin like it should!

Ok, after 1 day of testing LDD, let's share my experience:

The new features (color filters, angle box in hinge tool, piece count, invert selection, brick outlines, ...) are fantastic! Great improvement comparing to previous versions. Didn't realy check all the new parts, tbh, if there isn't one, i just make something similar with the existing parts, so i'm not realy bothered by that.

But let's get to the part that realy annoys me in the new version, which is the magic dissapearing of LDD. It could at least throw an exception or a message... anything, just not "puff", ups, where's LDD?!?!

I tried it on 4 computers and it happens in this situations:

1.) Right after starting, on the Theme selection screen: If i click anything else then Free Build, it's gone (2 computers). If i click an LXF that wasn't made in 4.0, it's gone too (see 2.))

2.) If i open a file made in 3.x, it's gone (all 4 computers). If do an import and load a previous LDD version file and save it, then reopen it, it's ok

3.) Change of the theme. Puff.. gone (sometimes on 2 computers).

I'm thinking it has something to do with graphics cards and hardware graphics extensions, thou loading of old files shouldn't be in that domain (as my computers are not that new - none DX10 graphics).

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Computers are 2 notebooks IBM T42 & T42p, desktop pc with Geforce 7600gt and desktop pc with onboard graphics.

The minifig legs still have long toe syndrome :tongue:

I found it stood fine when i tested it?

@Bojan Its never crashed on me no mater what i do even big lxf's. I run windows 7 with DX10 though

But let's get to the part that realy annoys me in the new version, which is the magic dissapearing of LDD. It could at least throw an exception or a message... anything, just not "puff", ups, where's LDD?!?!

Hello Bojan. Good to hear from you :classic:

Anyway, haven't noticed this problem, and haven't heard anything about this sort of serious bug. Could it be a localisation problem? I suppose you have your own language set? And what happens if you lower the graphics details in Edit > Preferences?

I'm sure you've tried the above, but I got to ask :wink:

The minifig legs still have long toe syndrome :tongue:

How do you mean. It seems fixed according to this post

Anyway, haven't noticed this problem, and haven't heard anything about this sort of serious bug. Could it be a localisation problem? I suppose you have your own language set? And what happens if you lower the graphics details in Edit > Preferences?

I'm sure you've tried the above, but I got to ask :wink:

Hey ;) Well, i did try all different graphics detail modes, it doesn't matter. The thing that's wierd is that i can't open old files unless i import them. After that (saved in the new format), they work.

I'll try localisation settings.

These 2 gears bug were discovered while buidling 8047.

First one doesnt allow the 8 tooth gear to be placed near the connector.

gearbug1.png

Second one doesnt allow the 24 tooth crown gear to be rotated in this setup:

gearbug2.png

I am not able to access the "outline on bricks" checkbox or the advance shading options any ideas why..?

I am not able to access the "outline on bricks" checkbox or the advance shading options any ideas why..?

I tried the "outline on bricks" checkbox and it made LDD run slowly (and even crash once). So they probably won't work for all computers.

If you're having trouble finding them, click Edit>Preferences at the top of the window. They're among the options there.

I tried the "outline on bricks" checkbox and it made LDD run slowly (and even crash once). So they probably won't work for all computers.

If you're having trouble finding them, click Edit>Preferences at the top of the window. They're among the options there.

I know where the preferences are just wont let me check the box maybe my computer just isnt up to par

Where has the 'hide colors' option in LDD gone? The option hid duplicate identical bricks that were different colors in the previous version of LDD, why oh why did they take it out?:thumbdown:

I used to like being able to build with the colors hidden so I didn't have to scroll through all the available parts!

In LDD 4 it's gone, I wish they'd bring it back!

It won't let me do it either. It's grayed out. I guess I just need a better box. I was hoping to use the advanced shading for brick... oh well.

Where has the 'hide colors' option in LDD gone? The option hid duplicate identical bricks that were different colors in the previous version of LDD, why oh why did they take it out?:thumbdown:

I used to like being able to build with the colors hidden so I didn't have to scroll through all the available parts!

In LDD 4 it's gone, I wish they'd bring it back!

Found it hiding in the color palette itself! Apparently, they haven't forgotten it, just moved it. I really wish that they would document changes like this, it's confusing when something you're used to changes and they don't tell you what changes there are!

I think we should try to document what has changed regarding the interface in LDD, if you find other changes to LDD's interface please document them here.

Found it hiding in the color palette itself! Apparently, they haven't forgotten it, just moved it. I really wish that they would document changes like this, it's confusing when something you're used to changes and they don't tell you what changes there are!

I think we should try to document what has changed regarding the interface in LDD, if you find other changes to LDD's interface please document them here.

Adding decals has been moved to the paint menu. And might I say, the added colors in LU mode are phenomenal. I have more reds and metalics now than I know what to do with. =O

Probably inconsequential as I doubt many of us are using these, but the large rock and lava monsters only take arms on one side of the body. Also, the flame rows, that are meant to embed specifically in the lava monster's back, absolutely will not.

To clarify: the parts know where I'm trying to put them. but they stay see through as if there's a collision

How do you mean. It seems fixed according to this post

skis still aren't compatible EDIT: no I'm a moron, they work just fine now. Bug fixed!

Here's another thing - tried the hinge tool on one end of the flex enabled rope (both ends connected to a plate, making the part an approximate U shape.)

the end alone was highlighted, as I expected, but when I budged the rotation wheel, the program crashed

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

I'm not sure if it's just my computer or what, but my hinge tool doesn't seem to like to work as well as the one in 3 did. There have been a few times I tried to rotate something and it flat out won't - even though I couldn't see anything that would prevent it. It may be my computer is too weak to handle the rotation, but a these all rotated just fine for me in LDD3 so I'm not sure what's up...

As for brick errors, I found this oddity:

lddscreenshot43.png

The Cowboy hat isn't modelled right, it seems. It doesn't have any actual indent for the fig's head, just the stud on top; so it doesn't cover their head enough. I don't know if this was some later version of the hat, but all my Cowboy hats fit much better and don't look like this underneath.

Outline of bricks is not available on my old computer. The option is gray and can't be selected.

I use an Pentium D 3.0GHz processor and a Geforce 7650GS graphical card.

LDD4 on it self works perfect.

Another strange thing: on my old computer the Universe mode was activated on the first start of the program, without changing any ini-files. Probably it remembered this mode was activated in LDD3

I'm not sure if it's just my computer or what, but my hinge tool doesn't seem to like to work as well as the one in 3 did. There have been a few times I tried to rotate something and it flat out won't - even though I couldn't see anything that would prevent it. It may be my computer is too weak to handle the rotation, but a these all rotated just fine for me in LDD3 so I'm not sure what's up...

Exactly the same for me. You have to remove the things connected to the hinge, turn it and then put everything back on.

It's quite annoying. :sceptic:

Exactly the same for me. You have to remove the things connected to the hinge, turn it and then put everything back on.

It's quite annoying. :sceptic:

Yeah, what was even worse was when I was trying to update my custom 30298 part the hinge wouldn't rotate, even if I took all the un-needed bricks off. I'm not entirely sure what's causing these rotation errors, but it is a bit of an annoyance to deal with. :sadnew:

Hello all.

My first post, so take it a little but easier :)

Btw my i'm not very good at writing in english so there will be some mistakes.

I'm from Estonia. (38y old)

I started doing the new Tower Bridge 10214 and so far find 2 problems.

Things that is not possible to do using the LDD 4.0 but described in official

building guide.

1. This is not doable the four wheels cant fit in that space because the

blue pins cant go in as deep as needed 4185 wheel 4274 pin (the same is the black pins)

post-13960-128845745455.jpg post-13960-128845746842.jpg

2. I can't find the the way to do this in LDD also. Is it legal building or not. I assume if it

not legal then it not printed in official building instruction.

post-13960-128845801466.jpg