LuxorV

Let’s go Cosplay! - Minifig Customization Workshop Contest 2010

...This is the contest I've been waiting for. :oh:

Unfortunately, I've just gone to college and most of my lego is back at home. :hmpf:

Just to clarify, when you say "Your custom figure must be showcased in an 8x8 vignette, showing how it blends into the LEGO world."

Do you mean how the character's cosplay would fit into a real world situation, or how his cosplay would fit into a cosplay situation?

Or do we have to show the character in his daily life; and then in a cosplay situation?

Edited by tin7

This sounds fun! Looks alike I'm gonna join my first contest. I sense a lot (if not all) anime-based entries - since obviously Cosplay was 'invented' by the Japanese Anime-fans.

Yep, cosplay can be really fun, even if it's not very obvious that it's home made costume and the make-up is as good as a professional one. Note the one to the left! :wink:

NYCC_Harley_500.jpg

batman_family.jpg

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Just to clarify, when you say "Your custom figure must be showcased in an 8x8 vignette, showing how it blends into the LEGO world."

Do you mean how the character's cosplay would fit into a real world situation, or how his cosplay would fit into a cosplay situation?

Or do we have to show the character in his daily life; and then in a cosplay situation?

Ideally, I mean you have to make a vig in which your minifig interacts with other LEGO elements as if it was at a cosplay event. But you can make it other ways, as long as the vig fits the character, much like the Collectable MF ones.

Hi LuxorV,

This opens up an interesting amount of possibilities. I am assuming that the things central to the competition brief are the custom minifig itself, and his/ her back story. So would it be okay to present the finished figure with more than one vignette?

I am currently thinking that it'll nice to show the character before the cosplay event, and of course at the cosplay event. So two Vigs in total — for me at least.

Hi LuxorV,

This opens up an interesting amount of possibilities. I am assuming that the things central to the competition brief are the custom minifig itself, and his/ her back story. So would it be okay to present the finished figure with more than one vignette?

I am currently thinking that it'll nice to show the character before the cosplay event, and of course at the cosplay event. So two Vigs in total — for me at least.

Yours is an interesting idea, and of course you can try it. Just remember that only the 'event' MF version and vig will be judged. Be sure to make clear which is what in the entry thread, and stay within the pictures' limit indicated in the rules.

Actually, that's a good point. So we can we post our figs in other positions, clothes, etc... Good, goog. ) :classic:

Another question, please: are other figs allowed in the vignette? ) :sweet:

Actually, that's a good point. So we can we post our figs in other positions, clothes, etc... Good, goog. ) :classic:

Yes, you can. But they won't be eligible for the voting. Please make clear which is the actual entry. If things become too complicated, you'll be asked to move the 'other versions' to separate topics.

Another question, please: are other figs allowed in the vignette? ) :sweet:

You can use other figs in the vignette, as long as they are normal (made of only official LEGO parts) minifigures.

To sum up: only one custom per entry!

Thanks everybody for pointing out these details.

Yes, you can. But they won't be eligible for the voting. Please make clear which is the actual entry. If things become too complicated, you'll be asked to move the 'other versions' to separate topics.

Oh, of course. ) :classic:

You can use other figs in the vignette, as long as they are normal (made of only official LEGO parts) minifigures.

To sum up: only one custom per entry!

Thanks everybody for pointing out these details.

Thanks for clearing that point. :thumbup:LuxorV, you amaze me with the speed you answer our questions! :laugh:

I have considered entering, as I love me some BrickArms stuff, and I already have an idea of what I'd do. (Something slightly out of the box!) The hardest part is going to be the actual customisation as I don't have the fingers for details.

Right now I'm thinking about how to fit my idea exactly within the 8 x 8 boundary. I assume this means that nothing can appear outside of the 8 x 8 area?

Sounds very interesting and fun! A very original idea for minifig contest indeed. I have a question regarding the pictures. We are allowed 5 so overall vignette, front, side and back of the figure, and one of our choice. If using an idea such as raymans with more than one vig can our own picture be of the vig not being judged? If our own picture is taken of the vig being judged again (a close up or different angle) can we move anything in the second shot? And finally are the pictures of your custom figs supposed to be shot together?

Edit: Sorry I read some of the rules wrong I think. I thought we were supposed to make two minifigs, one with and one without a costume but I don't think that is the case.

Edited by Leper

I have considered entering, as I love me some BrickArms stuff, and I already have an idea of what I'd do. (Something slightly out of the box!) The hardest part is going to be the actual customisation as I don't have the fingers for details.

Right now I'm thinking about how to fit my idea exactly within the 8 x 8 boundary. I assume this means that nothing can appear outside of the 8 x 8 area?

Unlike many other vig contests, I'd like you to stay exactly in the 8x8 limit.

Sounds very interesting and fun! A very original idea for minifig contest indeed. I have a question regarding the pictures. We are allowed 5 so overall vignette, front, side and back of the figure, and one of our choice. If using an idea such as raymans with more than one vig can our own picture be of the vig not being judged? If our own picture is taken of the vig being judged again (a close up or different angle) can we move anything in the second shot? And finally are the pictures of your custom figs supposed to be shot together?

Edit: Sorry I read some of the rules wrong I think. I thought we were supposed to make two minifigs, one with and one without a costume but I don't think that is the case.

Let's see these in order:

- the 5th picture can be that of your 'alternate version' of the minifig;

- any detailed pictures of the entering vig can still be showcased via a link to a folder on Brickshelf, Flickr or whatever photo-sharing site you prefer;

- As you said in the 'Edit', the rules require just one custom fig: the one with the costume; any other figs will not be considered part of the entry.

I hope things are a bit less foggy now :wink:

Sorry that I don't really understand, but can it be a nerdy fan of someone in Star Trek or Star Wars? Thanks.

-Santhor

Sorry that I don't really understand, but can it be a nerdy fan of someone in Star Trek or Star Wars? Thanks.

-Santhor

Yes, it can:

It can be anything, from anime, manga or films/movies.

:wink:

Unlike many other vig contests, I'd like you to stay exactly in the 8x8 limit.

Let's see these in order:

- the 5th picture can be that of your 'alternate version' of the minifig;

- any detailed pictures of the entering vig can still be showcased via a link to a folder on Brickshelf, Flickr or whatever photo-sharing site you prefer;

- As you said in the 'Edit', the rules require just one custom fig: the one with the costume; any other figs will not be considered part of the entry.

I hope things are a bit less foggy now :wink:

Thanks! that does help a lot :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand of the rules is the main goal is not to create the perfect Cosplay custom minifig but to create an imperfect but realistic Cosplayer minifig, right? By 'imperfect' means the Cosplayer should have like an amateurish costume, not very well done make-up, hair, and the like?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand of the rules is the main goal is not to create the perfect Cosplay custom minifig but to create an imperfect but realistic Cosplayer minifig, right? By 'imperfect' means the Cosplayer should have like an amateurish costume, not very well done make-up, hair, and the like?

This is a most perfect description of what you have to do!

I'll implement the first post with your definition :thumbup:

This is a most perfect description of what you have to do!

I am sure with this well-defined definition, it will helps LuxorV in his FAQs. :tongue:

Alright, I have a great idea. I've been thinking about one for the last couple of days, but it was right in front of my eyes when watching a few clips (after listening to the soundtrack the whole week) of a great film. The idea is great, now I just have to hope things work out great also. :look:

And thanks to the ones who managed to bring in such great prizes, wow! *huh*

Shouldn't there be a pinned contest entry subtopic where the entries can be posted? Just like in the other themes' contests? Or it's just ok to post in down there (regular topics)?

Shouldn't there be a pinned contest entry subtopic where the entries can be posted? Just like in the other themes' contests? Or it's just ok to post in down there (regular topics)?

From the first post in this thread:

Entries are to be posted within the Minifig Customization Workshop and type "MCW Contest 2010 Entry" in the topic description line.

:laugh:

From the first post in this thread:

:laugh:

Yeah, I know that already. :classic: I just wondered why in the other themes there is a separate pinned subtopic where the contest entries can be posted and not on the regular topics below. Anyway, don't mind my curiosity and I'll just post my entry on the regular topics (when I'm done.) :wink: