WhiteFang

Eurobricks Collectable LEGO Minifigures Series 2 Building Contest

Hope to get my entries photographed tomorrow but I just wanted to say that I love the design of Optimus's spaceship in category B. The shape and color scheme fit the spaceman minifig perfectly. If I had the parts, I would so try to make my own.

Theme:Xtreme Sports

Minifig:Surfer

Made in a huge rush

4971934921_f101a16819.jpg

4971939729_190afdbeda.jpg

4972549632_cfa8c25fae.jpg

Nahdar shows us how it's done. (He's only there to show how that 1x2 flat holds up the minifig)

Not to be cranky or anything but your not allowed a placeholder minifig.

What your doing with nahder is against the rules.

Could you perhaps modify it a bit, so nahder isn't placeholding?

You can still use him, but not where skier is going to go.

Otherwise your entry might be deleted.

Sorry for any inconvenience!

Edited by legowill1

Please post these things in the general thread.

You can offer advice to the participants but you are not allow to warn them of their entry eligibility. Please write your comments in a polite manner. Thanks.

Furthermore, please post your comments in the right topic.

... Okay, I've changed my mind about entering! I'll be a Simon Cowell-eque judge instead.

Dude, will you chill out a bit please? If you'll remember correctly, that entry was posted before the rule was finalized, and he's probably just not gotten around to fixing it yet. Also, I think Whitefang has sufficient vision ability to spot small mistakes like that without your help :wink: . Please leave the Modding to the Mods.

(Sorry for that.)

Ok, i'm a bit confused with myself. :wacko:

My catagory A entry, Witch's Castle, doesn't seem to be that good.

I might delete it cause i'm really not convinced people will like it.

Will somebody please take a look at it and tell me, honestly, what they think.

Also Whitefang mentioned that it could be disqualified.

This pushes me towards deleting it.

It's not bad. The motorization is a neat feature, but doesn't really add to the entry. The top looks a bit weird; it should look more like a castle tower. And what WhiteFang is referring to, I think, is that you deeplinked a video which is not allowed. If you think you can do better, go for it.

I must say, I'm really loving Optimus' entries! They are original, built very well, and incorporate sci-fi elements into a past setting nicely! It's gonna be hard to beat those!

In general, all the Category B entries are looking great so far! Except Yatkuu's maybe... that one is kinda awkward with that Star of David... :look:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

I think, is that you broke two rules (using a S1 minifig, deeplinking a video).

The series 1 minifig should be ok as the rules state:

Please note Series 1 minifigures and parts are allow in this category

for both categories.

I hope so anyway, as my entry for category A (which I've yet to post) also uses a series 1 minifig.

Ok, i'm going to delete my entry and make a new one.

Could somebody take a look at my circus tent entry?

Then could you be honest and say your opinion? Thanks

It's not bad. The motorization is a neat feature, but doesn't really add to the entry. The top looks a bit weird; it should look more like a castle tower. And what WhiteFang is referring to, I think, is that you deeplinked a video which is not allowed. If you think you can do better, go for it.

Obviously you haven't seen mine because I have of video of a sweet feature! :grin:

I agree with Oky, have that motorized feature doesn't add a whole lot. Think "cool" as in maybe a revovling wall. Also, you didn't show you pressing the shelf which I actually would have liked to see...

Actually, what does everyone think of mine?

Edited by ThatGuyWithTheBricks

It's fine to give constructive criticisms to fellow participants to help improve their entry but please note that doing it in a harsh and impolite manner will make me feel extremely annoyed and will be subjected to further moderation. I am not blind to such stuff and if you think I miss it, kindly drop me a PM to inform instead of lashing it in the public.

I have been busy communicating with participants via PM whose entry does not meet the basic rules requirement and through this method, it's much effective for me to monitor the progress.

Also Whitefang mentioned that it could be disqualified.

LEGO PF motors are allowed.

I hope so anyway, as my entry for category A (which I've yet to post) also uses a series 1 minifig.

And,

Also, WhiteFang, I know the rules state that some reasonable overhang is ok.

I hope you don't mind that I've made the base fractionally larger by adding the tiled border (I had to find a way to hide the technic bricks that the base is made from), as the actual vignette is still 8 x 8. If this is a major problem I can remove it, but I can't see that it is any different than having an overhang within the actual vignette.

After looking at your entry and your explanation, I find it reasonable and is qualified for the contest. Good to see the Minifigs Series 1 participants joining in the fun including Lisgr too. :classic:

Ok, i'm going to delete my entry and make a new one.

You can't delete your entry. It's fine to do adjustments but too much of it can be a great annoyance. Make up your mind and stick to one entry.

What i'm going to do is make it alot taller.

I will also probably make more details, and move the motorization feature.

It will look alot more like a tower and will look better. :thumbup:

Actually, what does everyone think of mine?

I'll comment on your entry later today. :thumbup:

Oh, and I want some feedback on my entry too (category A)

I will like to emphasis and remind this rule again,

# No placeholder minifigure (Series 2) can be used to reflect the actual position in the entry.

It also means using any kind of LEGO minifigure to illustrate the imaginary LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 2 minifigure inside your entry. I permit and allow participants to add in the placeholder if required, by letting it exist as a link inside your entry submission. Anything more than that inside your entry or at least I find it obvious that its a placeholder will results in further query by me and may lead to disqualification.

Thanks.

WhiteFang

I'll give more advices and comments to the other newer entry-posters:

Category A

ThatGuyWithTheBricks- Nice build and play-feature, it makes the vignette look like a part of adventures set. I think that you should put dark grey (or random mixture of dark grey and dark bley) for the primary color, and light grey/bley for the secondary color, but only for the walls. The tiles should remain the same, but with a bit more dark grey. (The color change for the walls is optional, it's really similar to the existing color scheme, I offered it out of curiosity, but the color change for the tiles is more important to me). Also, a bit of dark green would be great. Can you take a picture/video from the side?

Ewok- The landscaping is great now. I like the river, the mushroom and the tree (to sum up, I like it).

CorneliusMurdock- Good color scheme, nice minifigs.

lisqr- I like the way you did the fence, the stars and the sun. If the black thing is supposed to be a shadow, so why is the head there? Shadows are in 2D, not in 3D. The SNOT decorations are a great idea, much better than tiles.

Darkblane- Good idea! The closet, the chair and the pole (I think it has it's own name, but I don't remember) are really good.

Erynion- The build is good, and I like your vignette, but I think that a 8x8 limit made difficult for you- with a 10x10 vignette (which you couldn't have built due to the rules) you could have made a white exterior and a dark grey interior to the cave. (which would look much better)

Jippon- The decorations on the top of the wall are great, and so is the "wanted" sign, but there are too many colors in the wall- when building a wall, you should decide what colors you want (one primary, one secondary) and in every second layer of bricks, put a random 1x1 of your secondary color. The circular column in the corner is nice.

more coming soon...

Morellos- Nice and simple vignette, good color scheme.

Category B

CorneliusMurdock- Very original idea! The evil wizard's furniture and his "dark magic items" are really great, and so is the throne. Putting tiles on the top of the walls and on the floor would make your vignette even better.(By the way, you can make drawers by SNOT-connecting "jumper plates". (If you don't understand, I'll PM links)

lisqr- A great combination of jungle-landscaping with neat sci-fi building. I like the cave (it looks really realistic) and the greebles. The crash-area is also great.

Edited by noname

I'll give more advices and comments to the other newer entry-posters:

Category A

lisqr- I like the way you did the fence, the stars and the sun. If the black thing is supposed to be a shadow, so why is the head there? Shadows are in 2D, not in 3D. The SNOT decorations are a great idea, much better than tiles.

It's suppose to be the vampire coming out of the shadow. :devil: I guess it's not very intuitive.

It's suppose to be the vampire coming out of the shadow. :devil: I guess it's not very intuitive.

Oh, now I get it. If you want that more people will understand it, edit your original post.

(I don't know if you saw it, but I've commented on your category B entry too.)

Edited by noname

Oh, now I get it. If you want that more people will understand it, edit your original post.

(I don't know if you saw it, but I've commented on your category B entry too.

I made the edit, thanks for the comment.

I saw your other comment too. I was going to put a rock monster under the capsule, but it doesn't fit.

I made the edit, thanks for the comment.

I saw your other comment too. I was going to put a rock monster under the capsule, but it doesn't fit.

You're welcome.

Rock monster there would make more sense (because of the crystals) but you could also put carrots and a bunny... And a lot of nice trans red tiles... Muhahahahaw!

Edited by noname

CorneliusMurdock- Very original idea! The evil wizard's furniture and his "dark magic items" are really great, and so is the throne. Putting tiles on the top of the walls and on the floor would make your vignette even better.(By the way, you can make drawers by SNOT-connecting "jumper plates". (If you don't understand, I'll PM links)

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, the adventures of the magician and the mime should be the next action theme lego makes. :laugh:

I would really have loved to tile the floor but unfortunately don't have enough tiles of the same color for the whole floor or even a combination for a pattern on the floor. Maybe someday I'll have the money to purchase some but my Lego budget has been pretty much spent this year.

As for the drawers, I know what you're talking about but I don't think I would have the room to put them in without it looking cluttered.

cralegoboy: The idea of the melting which is great, but this vignette doesn't back it off. Just a plain floor with a minifig on it. :sceptic:

cralegoboy- The idea is great, but try to make brown or dark brown tiles, and an old, grey (not bley) dampened wall. (And maybe a spiderweb). Two 1x1 red plates would work better as shoes, because then you'll be able to change to position of the legs.

Okay you two, I've edited my entry to try to satisfy your complaints (suggestions, whatever.)

I didn't have two 1x1 red plates, though. Sorry.

Okay you two, I've edited my entry to try to satisfy your complaints (suggestions, whatever.)

I didn't have two 1x1 red plates, though. Sorry.

Not to jump on the bandwagon, here, I hope these are useful comments and suggestions, as someone who is also submitting a witch MOC for category A (I built it last night, but need to take pictures).

First, while you're not allowed to use the witches hat (which is a new version of the wizard hat), you could use an older wizard hat (in black) sitting on the pile of goo... that shouldn't violate the rules:

6131.jpg

EDIT: Second, while I like your MOC a lot, it seems to me to not really be in the spirit of the competition... one of the site moderators might get on my case for saying so, so they should consider this as more of a question than a complaint... it seems to me the MOCs are something that, given the figure, you'd put it in and it would be "at home" in the MOC. IOW, with the witch already melted, there's really no place to put the Series 2 Witch in that scene.

After re-reading the rules, it just must "relate" to the character, so I guess there's no question.

EDIT: BTW, I think it's a really awesome MOC... when the dust is all settled after this, if you do have the witch, you could put the torso on the green and have her in mid-melt.

Edited by fred67

Not to jump on the bandwagon[...]

Are you saying that the critique and the advices is a bad thing?

Because:

[...]

If we listen to the community, then we have a better chance of winning, since it'll be the community voting :wink:.

It also means that you can (and should, IMO) offer your help too.

Edited by noname

EDIT: Second, while I like your MOC a lot, it seems to me to not really be in the spirit of the competition... one of the site moderators might get on my case for saying so, so they should consider this as more of a question than a complaint... it seems to me the MOCs are something that, given the figure, you'd put it in and it would be "at home" in the MOC. IOW, with the witch already melted, there's really no place to put the Series 2 Witch in that scene.

After re-reading the rules, it just must "relate" to the character, so I guess there's no question.

EDIT: BTW, I think it's a really awesome MOC... when the dust is all settled after this, if you do have the witch, you could put the torso on the green and have her in mid-melt.

Point one:

The witch is not already melted. Half of her will be sitting on top of the goo, arms flailing.

Point two:

I have the witch, and it looks really awesome on top of the pile of goo. I'll take a picture and post it after the contest is over.