Bonaparte

Survey: New parts and new colors

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

It would be nice to have part no.18988 (pictured below) made in either Trans. Fluorescent Green or Trans. Bright Green to use for Green Lantern energy construct MOCs.

6097549.jpg

Hasn't that been made in trans for a Super Hero set?

Just now, mocbuild101 said:

Hasn't that been made in trans for a Super Hero set?

Yes, it was used in the 2015 Gorilla Grood  set for the Invisible Jet, and is being reused for another Invisible Jet in a summer DC Girls set.

Oops, I didn't read your post correctly :blush:, you probably should have put Trans-green instead of Trans. green :wink:.

Edited by mocbuild101

As far as colors go, one particular blank spot in Lego's color spectrum I think needs to be filled is a solid reddish orange color (example pictured below) that sits in between Bright Orange and Bright Red. It would be the darker equivalent of Flame Yellowish Orange, which sits between Bright Yellow and Bright Orange on the spectrum.

color-0658-Orange-red.jpg

Taking the risk of being accused as a heretic, i'd like to suggest some changes or additions to the standard minifigure.

• I'd LOVE to have them ball-joints at the shoulders and legs, so you could pose them more like shown on some Video Games and comics. (It doesn't need to be 180° in every direction, a much smaller amount would be more than enough. I belive another Brand did a similar thing IIRC.)
  • Another thing would be alternate Torsos, additionally to the normal ones. There could be ones with wider shoulders or some more feminine shaped. This would make Minifigs look much more diverse and interesting imho.

Personally, I'd like to see the following new mold parts get made:

• 3x3 Flat Tile (since there already is a 3x3 plate)
  • 1x1 Triangular Flat Tile (a square 1x1 flat tile cut diagonally so you could combine two to make a square!)
  • 1x1 Round Plate with studs on both sides (to connect bottoms of parts together)
  • 1x1 Square Plate with a hole in the stud (similar to Part 85861)
Edited by MatthewRC

Just now, Murrig Icehammer said:

Taking the risk of being accused as a heretic, i'd like to suggest some changes or additions to the standard minifigure.

• I'd LOVE to have them ball-joints at the shoulders and legs, so you could pose them more like shown on some Video Games and comics. (It doesn't need to be 180° in every direction, a much smaller amount would be more than enough. I belive another Brand did a similar thing IIRC.)
  • Another thing would be alternate Torsos, additionally to the normal ones. There could be ones with wider shoulders or some more feminine shaped. This would make Minifigs look much more diverse and interesting imho.

I like the wider shoulder idea, I've envisioned a similar concept with a new torso with the same angle as sides of the traditional torso, but they would flair outwards, resembling somewhat an upside down traditional torso. Something like that could have used for Mr. Incredible or Syndrome, that cartoonish oversized upper body look.

18 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As far as colors go, one particular blank spot in Lego's color spectrum I think needs to be filled is a solid reddish orange color (example pictured below) that sits in between Bright Orange and Bright Red. It would be the darker equivalent of Flame Yellowish Orange, which sits between Bright Yellow and Bright Orange on the spectrum.

color-0658-Orange-red.jpg

Isn't that the same as regular orange?

17 hours ago, Murrig Icehammer said:

I don't like these ideas, because they would make minifigures too different - take the Friends mini-dolls for example. 

1 hour ago, mocbuild101 said:

Isn't that the same as regular orange?

4153825.jpg

Bright Orange is a pretty yellowish shade of orange, while this proposed color would lean more towards Bright Red. It would be for solid colors what Transparent Fluorescent Reddish Orange is to Transparent Bright Orange.

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Bright Orange is a pretty yellowish shade of orange, while this proposed color would lean more towards Bright Red. It would be for solid colors what Transparent Fluorescent Reddish Orange is to Transparent Bright Orange.

I see... but I still doubt that Lego would make such a similar color.

7 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

I don't like these ideas, because they would make minifigures too different - take the Friends mini-dolls for example. 

Not necessarily, as long as you keep the general blocky characteristic shape of a minifigure, i don't see a reason why there couldn't be some variations. The important thing is they shouldn't look too different, but also different enough to allow a greater degree of individuality for each minifigure than now.

Just look at the huge amount of non standard head molds (star Wars for example) we have already, and they mostly still look like Lego, because they are designed so well. If ball joint limbs and wider/more feminine Torsos where designed just as well and kept at the same scale and style as a standard Minifigure, they would be a great addition imho.

But then all the limitations of minifigures - and the creative solutions Lego fans have made - would be lost...

On 5/28/2017 at 6:41 PM, MatthewRC said:

1x1 Triangular Flat Tile (a square 1x1 flat tile cut diagonally so you could combine two to make a square!)

I don't think it is possible; there would be no clutch power on these.

The round corner 1x1 is already a little weak for that.

On 5/29/2017 at 0:16 PM, mocbuild101 said:

or worse, Jack Stone series :D

On 5/29/2017 at 1:01 PM, Murrig Icehammer said:

Not necessarily, as long as you keep the general blocky characteristic shape of a minifigure, i don't see a reason why there couldn't be some variations. The important thing is they shouldn't look too different, but also different enough to allow a greater degree of individuality for each minifigure than now.

Just look at the huge amount of non standard head molds (star Wars for example) we have already, and they mostly still look like Lego, because they are designed so well. If ball joint limbs and wider/more feminine Torsos where designed just as well and kept at the same scale and style as a standard Minifigure, they would be a great addition imho.

I'm pretty sure this would never happen. Minifigures have changed a bit here and there on the inside structure of the torso and head, but the out side appearance remains the same. Quite frankly, the posability of minifigs is actually quite iconic as well as the fact that the same torso can be male or female.

2 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Quite frankly, the posability of minifigs is actually quite iconic

Agreed! It's what makes them so likeable.

I'm in the progress of building another minifig sized vehicle... And it occured to me I'd like to see a smaller Towhook/towball. :classic:

30395.png

This looks too big on a Minifig scale Jeep, the proportions are off when attached to a winch.

30082.png

This oldschool one is perfect size wise, but the color is 'old'.

Other than that it's either a grappeling hook, or even older styled and colored hooks... :sceptic:

10 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

I'm pretty sure this would never happen. Minifigures have changed a bit here and there on the inside structure of the torso and head, but the out side appearance remains the same. Quite frankly, the posability of minifigs is actually quite iconic as well as the fact that the same torso can be male or female.

That may be so, but please let a old man dream... :blush:

Seriously, i think it wouldn't hurt to have a few different shaped torsos, without replacing the classic one of course. Even most drawings and animations show more flexibility, so why not? You see i'm using Lego mostly for RPGs and it would be quite nice to be able to have some bulky and also some feminine looking ones or even more flexible limbs, just for the sake of diversity. I know that Lego won't start designing and releasing a new mold tomorrow, just because i was suggesting it. :grin:

But i was hoping the idea could be put on the table without having it instantly getting ripped apart by a big NO hammer. :classic:

EDIT: Also, i'd love to see a hip attachable scabbard (unlike the shoulder strapped one) introduced and getting standard for every minifigure set that features a minifigure wielding a sword. I always found it a bit inappropriate for a minifigure to have a sword 100% of the time in their hand, instead of wearing it on the side.

Edited by Murrig Icehammer

Before we get another yellow/orange or whatever color (not mentioning the millions shades of blue which no one needs) we need to get sand red back or introduce a sand brown. :)

10 minutes ago, peedeejay said:

Before we get another yellow/orange or whatever color (not mentioning the millions shades of blue which no one needs) we need to get sand red back or introduce a sand brown. :)

Yes, definitely! Red should get much more attention than it does already. The thing is though, how do you make other red hues without them turning into pink or orange? I mean look at this for example.

color-thesaurus-10.jpg

:sceptic:

Now compare to blue.

blue-colors-1024x946.jpg

*oh2*

Lot more options. But then again, were just asking for sand red. That can't be hard right? 

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

30 minutes ago, peedeejay said:

I fully agree, I miss the sand red :(

It was a good color for grounds/bricks/roofs

On 5/28/2017 at 0:34 PM, Murrig Icehammer said:

Heretic!

But seriously, the second idea here of different torsos wouldn't be completely bad.  I mean, there have been a wide variety of heads and legs, I don't see why a couple of different torsos would hurt much.  And there are already a few, like Axl from Nexo Knights, or the Ninjago double torso.  Also, don't forget the new arm pieces like the robotic arm, the bird wings, and shark fins.  Now, I'm not sure wide shoulders or feminine shapes are necessary, but some additional variations could be fun.

9 hours ago, antp said:

I fully agree, I miss the sand red :(

It was a good color for grounds/bricks/roofs

Thirded, and give me sand purple for the hell of it too. :thumbup:

I've mentioned this on the 2017 City thread also, but it would be great to have a four wide version of this new part pictured on the left introduced in this year's 60154 Bus Station.

33869712244_5d148685a5_b.jpg

On 6/1/2017 at 5:40 PM, Umbra-Manis said:

I would like to see Sand Purple reintroduced also. It seems like it should be a necessary color in Lego's current color palette.

On 6/1/2017 at 5:40 PM, Umbra-Manis said:

Heck, their are a lot of sand colors we could get that would be awesome, but sand colors might be deemed "drab" and "not colorful enough". This is understandable for the kiddies, but what about us AFOLs who want something a little more realistic? Hopefully we'll get some of these colors in future modulars.