Sign in to follow this  
Jonas

(MOC) Battle of Roswell

indexed.gif

Here is my contribution to the Wild West theme.

Rosevell, Arizona, around 1865

Morning sun just got over the horizon and its first rays touch the station in Rosewell, …

01-rosewell-morning-station.jpg

… the biggest building in the city – saloon, …

02-rosewell-morning-saloon.jpg

… and the streets with many bodies of those who did not survive yesterday’s gunfire.

03-rosewell-morning-street.jpg

The bandits hide themselves in the saloon and they shoot on anything that is moving.

10-rosewell-saloon-guns.jpg

The besiegers, railroad workers led by several experienced adventurers, repeat fire from outside, using barrels, chests …

12-rosewell-besiegers1.jpg

… wagons …

14-rosewell-besiegers2.jpg

… and railroad buildings as improvised hideouts.

14-rosewell-besiegers4.jpg.

Listen! What’s that? Locomotive whistle?

20-rosewell-locomotive-coming1.jpg

Yes, it is coming … and it does not stop in the station.

22-rosewell-locomotive-coming2.jpg

Its speed even increases and the driver leaves the engine.

24-rosewell-driver-jumping-off.jpg

Now, the bandits can see what caused the strange sounds during the last night. The railway workers have moved the tracks …

25-rosewell-track-moved.jpg

… so that the rails head straight to the saloon.

28-rosewell-locomotive-before-crash2.jpg

Big bang, explosion and the building crashes down.

30-rosewell-movie-crash.jpg

The native Americans are watching the scene. Eventually, it will be them who will be the ultimate winners in the battle of Rosewell.

40-rosewell-indians-watching.jpg

END

I hope that at least some older European EB members will remember this classic movie.

-----------------------------------------------

If you liked my story, here is the complete MOC:

50-rosewell-diorama1.jpg

52-rosewell-diorama2.jpg

54-rosewell-diorama3.jpg

60-rosewell-saloon.jpg

This is my first Western MOC and I should say that I have learned much from the Masters, like Kris Kelvin, TheBrickster and many others.

Howgh!

AWESOME 'Jonas' just simply AWESOME ! :grin:

The station, hotel and that train......oh, it's too much.....just wait see when 'Klaus' see's it - 'Jonas' you design is one of the best western MOC's I have ever seen !

I'm a conformist! 'Jonas' I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

This is awesome, Jonas! :oh: The story has been brought in picture very well, great photographs. The creation itself is amazing, very nice diorama. The saloon looks great, I especially like the walls and the station is also lovely. The colours are really well chosen. The train looks good too. The scenery is also very nice with all the minifigs hiding, and with the spots of greenery it looks like a real desert town. Great job! :thumbup:

This is one of the "best westerns" I have seen in quite a while. The fact that you've built up the walls horizontally rather than vertically shows how much thought you have put in, and the look pays off too. You have made those blocky two-stud-deep prefab windows which I have never previously admired look much so much better with their new dimensions (as well as more useful - I've seen very few traditionally paned windows that are wider than they are tall). I also admire so many of smaller details including the frames for the prefab doors (again, huge improvement), the chimneys perfectly aligned to protrude, the black hinge plate for the transom/cornice above the window in the first photograph, and the fact that you've placed a group of basic bricks between the log bricks where a window ought to be so that it appears that a window was actually removed in the building's fictional past and "plastered up" as it would be by standard of the time.

As for the films, the only European Westerns I know are the gritty Spaghetti, though this premise seems ridiculous boarding on satirical - after all, this train must not have been the last to crash in Roswell?

Well done indeed, your building techniques and communication of the story are excellent! I love the way you lined up the figures, and all the different buildings look excellent. Good job mate, and keep bricking :thumbup:

That's a totally awesome Western MOC, Jonas! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

It looks absolutely realistic and the details are stunning! :oh:

The saloon as well as the train station as well as the undertaker's office are desigend perfectly. And the Western locomotive looks brilliant, too. So does the landscape.

Very, very well done! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Btw:

Is this scene from a Karl May Western? I mean to remember that there was one scene in one of those excellent movies, but since it's regrettably minimum five years ago that I watched them the last time, I regrettably do not remember.

But if it was one of the Karly May Western, I'd go either for Winnetou 2 or 3 or Old Surehand 1 or 2.

Klaus-Dieter

For those who try to guess the movie and compare it to my rendering, I add three more screen-shots:

rosewell01.jpgrosewell06.jpgrosewell07.jpg

Great job on rendering the scene! :thumbup:

I especially like the way you build the saloon and modded the Emerald Night into a western loco.

Only the diagonal bars on the water tower could be made better, the levers there look a bit strange IMO.

On my Brickshelf you can find larger pictures now.

Only the diagonal bars on the water tower could be made better, the levers there look a bit strange IMO.

I agree with you. I was not able to mimic the true diagonal supports with the bricks I had at home. So, I tried this approximation.

For those who try to guess the movie and compare it to my rendering, I add three more screen-shots:

Still can not guess the movie. Even Google no help. You can PM me the answer. :wink:

OK. First, thanks all of you for the positive responses.

About the movie. I really wondered how many people knew the movie that once (in 1960s and 1970s) was so popular, mainly in Europe. The movie was produced by German moviemakers in co-production with several other European countries. Its exteriors were filmed in former Yugoslavia, in particular in Croatian famous national parks (e.g. here). Because of very large success of the first movie, the moviemakers made several sequels later.

The scene depicted in my MOC is probably the most iconic one from the first movie, the one named Winnetou (in other countries known also as Winnetou, the Warior, or The Apache Gold). You can see the scene in the trailer which is available on YouTube. If you just want to watch the train crash scene, it starts approximately at 4:00.

I have also placed some higher-resolution pics on my Brickshelf.

There was a similar scene in "Joe Kidd", starring Clint Eastwood.

People should stop building saloons over old railroad tracks.

(edit-I almost forgot to say it, great MOC! I'm glad we can edit )

Ahab out..................

Edited by AhabDarab

Great Western scene Jonas. I really like the way the Saloon walls look, and the tension of the shootout is great, you can even catch a peek at the guys hiding inside. You recreation of the movie is fairly faithful, though as others have mentioned the use of gear levers on the tower is distracting when some tiles laid diagonally may have been better etc. Even though the train is accurate to the movie colour scheme, the colours are pretty garish to me, the green, yellow and red don't work well in my opinion. Great narration of the story as well and a very good effort for a first western MOC.

Cheers

ISC.

Wow! This is amazing... it has everything a great wild west scene needs! And just enough details without cluttering!

Simply great work and it inspires me to make a wild west moc of my own.

Thanks!!!

A very dynamic scene, congratulations~

I don't remember seeing such a living western MOC default_thumbup.gif