Klaus-Dieter

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 3 discussion

Site updated with Series 3 bios. Collectible Minifigures.

I've never read the other bios, but I started reading through these. The Space Villain mentions numerous past Space series in his bio. I see references for Futuron, Spyrius, Insectoid, and MTron along with him being a Blacktron member. No mention of Ice Planet though. The Elf seems to reference the old map picture that lead lots of people to believe that elves were going to be another faction in the Castle Fantasy line, while seeming to blend in with Kingdoms as well. The Space Alien write up sounds like a SciFi Channel comedy in the making.

This. I don't see why everybody is in a frenzy over Series 3 Figs (especially considering the general consensus that this wave is fairly weak). It is widely established that Series 3 is going to see even greater production numbers, relative to the first two series, so paying double the MSRP seems pretty ridiculous to me. Just wait until mid-January and I can all but guarantee that you will find them in greater quantities, at MSRP. Patience is a virtue!

I wasn't aware of any such consensus until just recently, with so many posts in the Minifigure Series 4 thread mentioning things along the lines of "after the disappointment of Series 3" or "what an improvement Series 4 is over the previous series," but I still don't personally feel that way. I personally am as excited for Series 3 as for the series before and after, and want to get at least two of each figure.

That said, I do anticipate Series 3 staying around quite a bit longer because of the reportedly much greater production run. I could also see the removal of the barcodes and the resulting increased difficulty in "cherry-picking" minifigures having an effect on the availability, though I could see it affecting it either way (people buying them more slowly because they're less sure of what they're getting, or buying more at once to be sure they get the ones they want) - does anyone else have any idea which is more likely?

To be honest, I have a feeling that a lot of Series 3 figs are going to be 'shelf-warmers'. As Ogre mentioned, it is still relatively easy to find Series 2 figs, if you know where to look, and Series 3 will be in even greater numbers.

Indeed. Around here, Series 2 is gone from the big-box, mass-market retailers that carried them, but a couple of local smaller, independent toy / hobby stores still have quite a few.

I wasn't aware of any such consensus until just recently, with so many posts in the Minifigure Series 4 thread mentioning things along the lines of "after the disappointment of Series 3" or "what an improvement Series 4 is over the previous series," but I still don't personally feel that way. I personally am as excited for Series 3 as for the series before and after, and want to get at least two of each figure.

AFOLs are very susceptible to "The Cult of the New," meaning that we're easily impressed and distracted by whatever shiny new bits TLC puts out. I would guess that a lot of those negative comments regarding Series 3 stem from all those nifty new Series 4 pictures that just popped up. Series 4 is New, and thus has more appeal than Series 3. Once Series 5 hits, Series 4 will seem dull and drab.

For whatever it's worth, I got most of Series 3 at TRU last week, and I really like them. Even the ones that I wasn't all that excited about, like the Mummy and the Cyborg, really suprised me.

My brother and I recently located some Series 3 figs at the Toys 'R' Us in Fredericksburg, VA. There was a slight (25% off) sale, but due to the prices we just got three desired figs: one for each of us, and one for our little brother whom we're picking up from school later today. While we were in town we also checked the Borders and found no Series 3 figs, but two rather full-looking boxes of Series 2 figs! So any other American AFOLs who are in Virginia for the holidays might consider dropping by and catching up on figs you wanted from Series 2 but missed.

I don't have a full collection of Series 2 figs, but those I don't have aren't really ones I'm interested in. Specifically, the Traffic Cop, Ringmaster, and Mime. Other than those three, either I or my brothers have one of each Series 2 fig.

The Series 3 figures seem to be warming the shelf at Toys R Us with their $3.99 price tag. I've been to the Appleton WI TRU three times this week (Friday, Monday, Today), and every time there is a box of Series 3 sitting on the shelf. Either these aren't moving or they are restocking. Either way it looks like our minifig shortage has finally ended in the US, assuming you are willing to meet the TRU price.

Lego is going to eventually sell series 3 on S@H, right?

Lego is going to eventually sell series 3 on S@H, right?

Probably. I see no reason why they wouldn't. But having a January release date, I'm not surprised they're not up yet-- S@H isn't as snappy as Toys 'R' Us with most products.

My brothers and I opened our three figs today. All three (baseball player, elf, and space villain) are epic. Of course, the Space Villain's helmet still has the same problem that helmet mold always has with sitting too high on the head. Which is an example of design I find displeasing-- not an actual design flaw, since it was probably designed to sit how it does.

The Space Villain (that's the one I got) looks great with parts in 316 Titanium Metallic. Next to the custom Blacktron fig my brother and I built (black Exploriens helmet, yellow Atlantis visor, Rench's torso and legs from SPIII, an air tank, and Spy Clops's head from Agents), he looks mighty nice. Wish he had come with an air tank of his own, though. It would have made up for the lack of back printing. His legs also lack detail compared to the custom Blacktron fig, but then maybe the custom one needs unprinted legs (or a simpler print)-- Rench's don't really match the Blacktron aesthetic anyway.

Probably. I see no reason why they wouldn't. But having a January release date, I'm not surprised they're not up yet-- S@H isn't as snappy as Toys 'R' Us with most products.

My brothers and I opened our three figs today. All three (baseball player, elf, and space villain) are epic. Of course, the Space Villain's helmet still has the same problem that helmet mold always has with sitting too high on the head. Which is an example of design I find displeasing-- not an actual design flaw, since it was probably designed to sit how it does.

The Space Villain (that's the one I got) looks great with parts in 316 Titanium Metallic. Next to the custom Blacktron fig my brother and I built (black Exploriens helmet, yellow Atlantis visor, Rench's torso and legs from SPIII, an air tank, and Spy Clops's head from Agents), he looks mighty nice. Wish he had come with an air tank of his own, though. It would have made up for the lack of back printing. His legs also lack detail compared to the custom Blacktron fig, but then maybe the custom one needs unprinted legs (or a simpler print)-- Rench's don't really match the Blacktron aesthetic anyway.

Sounds great! the Space Villain and Alien are my two favourite figures, so I'm grateful for that little insight.

Judging by the fact you got three of the series' most desirable figures, am i right in guessing it wasn't luck but you instead used the patterns on the back to pick out your figures?

Will/Rocketbilly

.....A store I was at yesterday had SIXTEEN boxes in stock and their 'sister store' up the street a ways had EIGHT boxes in stock.....

Hey Ogre, what stores did you see them at? I have a complete set, but I know of people still searching for them in the GTA.

Thanks.

Sounds great! the Space Villain and Alien are my two favourite figures, so I'm grateful for that little insight.

Judging by the fact you got three of the series' most desirable figures, am i right in guessing it wasn't luck but you instead used the patterns on the back to pick out your figures?

Will/Rocketbilly

Nope. My twin brother and I just felt for the figs we wanted. I didn't even consider looking for the patterns-- and looking at the packaging now, I don't think I'd know where they were or what they looked like if I had wanted to take that option. :tongue: I much prefer feeling the bags anyway-- it lets me put my tactile experience with LEGO bricks to good use, and it's a strategy LEGO can't get rid of as long as they're using this type of packaging.

Edited by Aanchir

Nope. My twin brother and I just felt for the figs we wanted. I didn't even consider looking for the patterns-- and looking at the packaging now, I don't think I'd know where they were or what they looked like if I had wanted to take that option. :tongue: I much prefer feeling the bags anyway-- it lets me put my tactile experience with LEGO bricks to good use, and it's a strategy LEGO can't get rid of as long as they're using this type of packaging.

Agreed.

I recently wanted to get a vampire, and I only had a picture of it's a barcode that was almost impossible to see (I'd saved it on my PSP, but had to take a picture of the PSP screen showing the picture with my camera on my mobile phone resulting in a blurred mess) I got rather miffed and had to feel bags instead. Luckily it was the first one I picked up but I kept changing my mind whether it was a Vampire or the martial arts chap because they have the same hair and i couldn't quite feel if it was a bat or a trophy I was fiddling with. Despite looking a little shifty walking round the rest of the shop as my Dad got some supplies, I enjoyed the groping of the bag far more.

Will/Rocketbilly

I didn't even consider looking for the patterns-- and looking at the packaging now, I don't think I'd know where they were or what they looked like if I had wanted to take that option.

Just as an FYI, the telltale bumps are located along the bottom seal of the packaging, on the back side.

Just as an FYI, the telltale bumps are located along the bottom seal of the packaging, on the back side.

Cool. I don't plan on using them, but I'll keep an eye out for them the next time I plan on purchasing some of these, just so I can see if they're as hard-to-see as it seems or if I just wasn't looking hard enough. :tongue:

Cool. I don't plan on using them, but I'll keep an eye out for them the next time I plan on purchasing some of these, just so I can see if they're as hard-to-see as it seems or if I just wasn't looking hard enough. :tongue:

I used the bumps to narrow down the selection in the box and then felt for the specific pieces to get a better idea of what I was getting. It saved me some time having the bumps cheat sheet.

I've had a look at a packet I've recently received, and the bumps are barely visible.

Saw these at TRU for... $4.00? What the hell, Toys R Us? I picked up a Snowboarder for my sister and walked away crying after not finding an Elf :sad:

The bumps are pronounced on the two boxes I got a chance to rifle through, the Snowboarder is one of the easiest to identify.

I have memorized the bumps, but I still can't seem to learn braille, go figure!

Hey Ogre, what stores did you see them at? I have a complete set, but I know of people still searching for them in the GTA.

Thanks.

The store I was at that day was the Richmond Hill "Mastermind" (Hillcrest Mall). The one in Aurora (Bayview & Wellington) is the 'sister store' I mentioned.

Did more calling around yesterday and the boxes are going fast. Most stores are down to one box, though the lady my wife spoke to at Richmond Hill wouldn't actually SAY how many they had left.

The location in Pickering Town Centre still had quite a pile though. Seven unopened boxes at the time, plus two on the shelf and some on the rack that holds the watches. Not sure if that total still holds as of today though.

Tell those folks you know to get hopping! I have a feeling they're not going to last long!

*edit*

I certainly hope that $3.99 is NOT the new price for Series Three here in Canada. That's just nuts. I haven't looked to see if the price of 'impulse' sets has gone up too but, those were selling for $4.99(CDN) and you got more than just a fig.

"Making a decent profit" is one thing but "totally gouging the consumer" is something else.

I'll probably get my one complete set but, if that price hike goes through, I WON'T be getting the dozens of multiples that I bought from the first two series.

Being a 'fan' of LEGO is one thing. Willingly being 'bent over' is something else.

Edited by Ogre

A quick update that LegoLand CA has Series 3 minifigures for $3. I hope that wont be the price for other Lego stores.

LegoGalactus

I hate to tell you this but yes that's the new price for them.

POST 1,111!!!!!

I noticed something odd today...

I decided $2.99 was my buy at price... over $2.99 and I pass. Well because of all the coupons and BOGO sales at TRU I managed to get a full set plus a few extras all at or under $2.99.

The first ones I got seemed to match the dimple codes pretty well, though I had to do some "feel" to be pretty sure. After I got about 7 or 8 of the figs they vanished and I could not find them until a few days ago. The 25% off a purchase of over $50 on TRU with coupon last week put the price back at my 2.99 price point so I ventured out and picked up the rest of the series I was missing. I had a few figs that didn't seem to match the dots very well, especially a rouge pilot that I thought might have been an alien by the dots.

I then noticed something on the package had changed...

The first 8 or 9 figures I found had the number "537B0" stamped on the right half of the bottom of the package, but all the new ones I found have "238B0". The dots still seemed to mostly be in the same place, except for the pilot which wasn't even close.

What are the numbers stamped on the bottom of your packages? I bought my figs in a few different TRU's, but they all have either of those two numbers. Anyone have anything to report? Do we know what the numbers mean? Is this a known thing?

Happy hunting!

Edited by ZCerberus

Oh, bother...

For those saying that the Series 3 Minifigs are going to have higher prices, keep in mind that all of this originated from a single comment on Brickset posted by Sword2211.

Go to the Canadian, Eh? thread to read what I think about this rumour. Basically (edited for context):

Even though the minifigures are selling at $2.99 in the US, which would indicate a price of $3.99 in Canada, we don't know if A) the US MSRP was raised, or if B) stores are simply taking advantage of the heightened demand. Keep in mind that the minifigures were already very popular, and demand has only increased due to three things: the Christmas season, exclusivity to TRU & Fred Meyer and being brand new. Stores can charge extra, and people will still buy them. Personally, I think we are looking at situation B, and that prices will go back to the original MSRP once we see wider distribution.

As for the rumours regarding the employee at Legoland California, let's pray to the Lego Gods wait until we get more information. Keep in mind that there could have been a miscommunication, or that $2.99 is the sale price just for Legoland California (never been there, but since when has a theme park have cheap prices?). Besides, it raises the question: Why didn't Lego increase the US MSRP before they started to sell in the US?

No need to get upset about something that is not confirmed.

They shouldnt let you find out what your going to get. It gives you a suprise, and you have a possibility of gettiong something other than the pilot. I go ta fair few fighures, and I didnt see and dots.default_wacko.gif