Klaus-Dieter

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 3 discussion

Does anyone else find the choice of weapons for the elf and Native American Chief slightly unusual?

The elf has a shield and a bow. While Im not complaining as the shield is a beautiful piece, I would have thought it might ship with a sword too. An elf orientated longsword would be brilliant :)

I think that the elf's weapons are just perfect. Elves are more popularly depicted as archers, hence the bow and an additional shield. Adding another sword would be too much IMO (3 weapons, 2 hands?). I even think that elf is based on this very popular Poster Boy of the Elves. :grin:

BTW, I think another better alternative to the cape is the 'arrow container thingy' (forgot the right term). Though that's easily available with the Series 1 forestman and indian.

Edited by KielDaMan

just ordered a couple of fishermen and a rapper. Gonna build myself a fishing trawler with the world city hovercraft pilot as captain and a crew of this fisherman. he was really the only one out of the set that appealed to me. I only ordered the rapper for the boombox if truth be told but I hate his gold teeth grin o I'll have to find a suitable replacement head.

I might get parts from other figures at some point. sports accessories, microfig trophy. maybe I'll be tempted to get the sumo dude for his fat belly torso. I'm curious about the back of his hairpiece. wondering if it'll work as a female hair-do.

I think that the elf's weapons are just perfect. Elves are more popularly depicted as archers, hence the bow and an additional shield. Adding another sword would be too much IMO (3 weapons, 2 hands?). I even think that elf is based on this very popular Poster Boy of the Elves. :grin:

BTW, I think another better alternative to the cape is the 'arrow container thingy' (forgot the right term). Though that's easily available with the Series 1 forestman and indian.

you're thinking of a quiver. The shield piece reminds me of the foot troops from those films. now for someone to make custom helms and the battle for middle earth can begin! (once i dig out some old gammoreans :) )

I think they are overdetailed, some just dont seem legoisch to me

To me, they don't seem more detailed any other fig released the last 5 years.

Edited by vexorian

I don't like these figures at all. They just seem to be missing that "wow" factort that Series 1 and 2 had. I'm just gonna try to pick up a few elves and samurais and maybe the chief and thats it.

Would love to get some elves!!! But they would probably be all fingered gone by the time I get there.:hmpf_bad:

However, I would love to see some real LEGO sets with elves in it. LoTR fans missed out so much with the last Castle series.

I don't like these figures at all. They just seem to be missing that "wow" factort that Series 1 and 2 had. I'm just gonna try to pick up a few elves and samurais and maybe the chief and thats it.

yea, except for maybe 1 or 2, but there doesn't seem to be anything very special, I'm going to buy some, I'll just give the ones I don't like away. Hope TLG doesn't have series 4 like this, they should all be specially made with quite a bit of detail.

Besides, who is excited and hyped up about the next wave, kids or adults? Kids don't even know about it yet, because they don't browse the Lego forums looking for retailer catalog scans.

I keep hearing this logic, but kids have parents who browse LEGO forums and blogs and show their kids all of the new stuff that is coming out. So there are plenty of kids excited about the latest wave of minifigs. I'm not an AFOL, I'm a Parent Fan of LEGO (PFOL?). Every LEGO I've bought as an adult is either already in the hands of my kids, or spare parts that will be used to create something for my kids.

I keep hearing this logic, but kids have parents who browse LEGO forums and blogs and show their kids all of the new stuff that is coming out. So there are plenty of kids excited about the latest wave of minifigs. I'm not an AFOL, I'm a Parent Fan of LEGO (PFOL?). Every LEGO I've bought as an adult is either already in the hands of my kids, or spare parts that will be used to create something for my kids.

Whoa whoa whoa! No Peeing in the Pool! :P

Ah so does this series have bar codes? Or are we left to feeling up little bags of plastic for hours on end?

I want to know how the seller on ebay figured out which minifigure is which. As the page says they're sealed in the package. :wacko:

I want to know how the seller on ebay figured out which minifigure is which. As the page says they're sealed in the package. :wacko:

You can still feel the contents. With things like the elf, the gorilla, the alien and the space pirate it should be fairy easy. Hey, even the fisherman should make it easy if you get to feel the rod.

But I don't think he said 'sealed'

Edited by vexorian

here is the amount of minifigs per case:

•5 figs in the case – Sumo Guy, Alien with Raygun, Mummy with Scorpion, Octan Team Race Car Driver

•4 figs in the case – Mountaineer Guy, Samurai Guy, Man in Ape Suit with Banana, Baseball Player with Bat, Tennis Lady

•3 figs in the case – Native American Chief, Elfin Bowman, Terminator Space Guy, Rapper, Snowboard Chick, Hula Girl

•2 figs in the case – Fisherman

http://brickpop.com/2010/11/17/series-3-collectible-minifigures-the-unboxing-with-pictures-and-analysis/

You can still feel the contents. With things like the elf, the gorilla, the alien and the space pirate it should be fairy easy. Hey, even the fisherman should make it easy if you get to feel the rod.

But I don't think he said 'sealed'

True. But when I tried that with series one it didn't work to well. I think I may just buy a whole box and sell the ones I don't want.

Okay I see that now. It says he opened them to determine the figure.

:angry: Sharing a case with 3 AFOLs isn't going to work this way. I wouldn't have mind missing the barcodes at all in series 3 if the distribution was at least 3 of the same figs in a case. It would have been the perfect compromise for AFOLs: Avoid picking cases based on barcodes but still being able to get complete series easily, by splitting a case among three people.

When I first saw the preliminary pictures, I was not very impressed with Series 3. :hmpf_bad:

But after seeing these new pictures, I can't wait to pick up a complete set, plus a couple of extras! :classic:

I still maintain that Series 3 is significantly weaker than Series 1 and 2.

•5 figs in the case – Sumo Guy, Alien with Raygun, Mummy with Scorpion, Octan Team Race Car Driver

•4 figs in the case – Mountaineer Guy, Samurai Guy, Man in Ape Suit with Banana, Baseball Player with Bat, Tennis Lady

•3 figs in the case – Native American Chief, Elfin Bowman, Terminator Space Guy, Rapper, Snowboard Chick, Hula Girl

http://brickpop.com/...s-and-analysis/

:angry: :angry: :angry: (if this is the actual distribution and not a fluke/tampered box)

Lego should reduce the amount of minifigs per wave to 15 and instead place four of each inside each box. Especially now that the barcodes have been removed.

When I first saw the preliminary pictures, I was not very impressed with Series 3. :hmpf_bad:

But after seeing these new pictures, I can't wait to pick up a complete set, plus a couple of extras! :classic:

I still maintain that Series 3 is significantly weaker than Series 1 and 2.

:angry: :angry: :angry: (if this is the actual distribution and not a fluke/tampered box)

Lego should reduce the amount of minifigs per wave to 15 and instead place four of each inside each box. Especially now that the barcodes have been removed.

yes this was a unopened case.

http://brickpop.com/2010/11/17/series-3-collectible-minifigures-the-unboxing-with-pictures-and-analysis/

That's just whack... that's worse than the other series.

it should be randomised. no two cases should be alike. that way it's much fairer on everybody. that and the blind packaging should deter hoarders. everyone getting the same chances of finding figures and increasing the swappable nature of the spares you don't want which is how it seems to me that Lego wanted this to go. Hence the reason for removing the barcodes. It isn't supposed to be easy. it's supposed to be fun and fair and encourage interaction between Lego fans. Not divide them orleave them aggravated because someone snaffled all the best figures from a case.

Average random bags before you get :

One of each: 61.6506 bags (It is much better to either cheat by feeling the contents or get a whole box).

One of the most common figs (5 per box): 12.0 purchases

One of the second most common figs (4 per box): 15.0 purchases

One of the second rarest figs (3 per box): 20.0 purchases.

A fisherman : 30.0 purchases.

An alien and a space pirate: 24.5 purchases.

Yeah, the difficulty to get a complete set has turned worse than last series, plus there are no barcodes anymore...

Edited by vexorian

TLG's not stupid... They'll sell a mountain of these guys in the U.S. if they can get 'em out by next Friday, and keep them stocked throughout the holiday season.

There's a chance that the moms out shopping won't really know what they are, especially if they don't show up in the weekly ads-- but I could certainly see this getting really intense trying to track an entire set down in the midst of the holiday toy shopping season.

Forgive me ahead of time if I have to take out a soccer mom to get myself a fisherman, haha!! :devil:

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

:angry: Sharing a case with 3 AFOLs isn't going to work this way. I wouldn't have mind missing the barcodes at all in series 3 if the distribution was at least 3 of the same figs in a case. It would have been the perfect compromise for AFOLs: Avoid picking cases based on barcodes but still being able to get complete series easily, by splitting a case among three people.

Ah crap. I was totally planning on buying a case, thinking I would keep one complete set to myself with two additional sets to sell online to help defray the cost, and then a few bags left over to sell/forget about. I'm not sure what I'd do now. I guess if we can actually find them in stores now I can go bag-fondling on my lunch break some time. Or just buy a complete opened set on eBay.

I have to say... I'm glad we can still at least feel. But it seems like if lego got rid of the barcodes, from their intention and perspective (prevent cherrypicking) they should've changed the packaging to a hard case or small plastic bubble thing (like Japan). I guess a foil bag is cheaper to produce. Well whatever. I hope the claims of increased production is true and there is enough supply.