Sign in to follow this  
Comrade Commander

Your LEGO pirate's life

Upon searching this forum, one sees everything from stunning MOCs, to vast lego armies. Even people who have multiples of every pirate set ever made.

So my question to you is, what do you do with all your Lego pirates?

Does your valiant Red Coat stand guard over your shelves of displayed creations?

Does a swashbuckling buccaneer roam the dark abyss of a Lego bin storing parts for your building desires?

Do your ships clash on the high seas in games such as brikwars or Evil Stevie's Pirate Game?

Do Blue Coats soil themselves and scream like little girls as you strap them to firecrackers and light them?

Etc, Etc, Etc.

Personally, I have all my legos mixed together in large bins and when I feel like building something, I dig through them for all the parts I need. Once I am done building I usually let it sit out for a bit before taking it apart and putting it back in the bin. I am also interested in trying out Brikwars since I came across the game.

(Brikwars was the inspiration for this post as I was wondering if anyone had tried to do a game using some of the large armies I had seen on this forum)

Personally, I have all my legos mixed together in large bins and when I feel like building something, I dig through them for all the parts I need.

Same here, I just kept the 10210 built during 5 months, but it now joined my bags of parts^^

Very good question!

Personally, I like to collect sets and I am not doing MOCS, so I put all my LEGO sets in separate plastic bags (some already built). I wish I could display them on shelf but:

1- There are many! :pir-classic:

2- Dust.

Someday, I wish I could have a kind of glass shelf to put all the sets on display and protected from dust.

I don't build often, so in the far future I will dig my sets from the basement and show them to people! Maybe old sets will be even more rare and prestigious!

Edited by JeKyll

I like to sort all of my Lego to keep it under control. I do keep a few prized MOCS and sets together though. Here's a picture:

9992.jpg_thumb.jpg

picture = link

I have just put up some new shelves in my room, and there's a special spot reserved for my new ship I am working on. I have 1 container just for pirate figures, and I keep all the hull/rigging/misc ship parts in another bin. I have started sorting out certain types of lego pieces into different bins.

Oh, and im currently using my Bluecoats to humiliate Redcoats. :jollyroger:

No I break my sets about two months after I get them and throw the parts into one of my gigantic LEGO boxes :pir-laugh:

I really couldn't be bothered sorting my LEGO so I dont :pir-classic:

I wish I could display them on shelf but:

2- Dust.

I display my on shelf and dust is definitely a problem. An airtight display case would be would be really useful although you'd need something custom built if you've got a large collection.

Right now they're in giant bins in my parent's attic. Before I left home they were displayed on wrap-around shelves in my old bedroom. I had a few with me for a few years that were in a display case with sliding glass doors. Now they're in the bins. Should be dust free, they're those big rubber maid bins. Someday they'll find their way back out and onto some shelves in a Lego room.

I wish I could display them on shelf but:

1- ...

2- Dust.

I'm agree with you, but is another chance to spend lot of time cleaning my legos! :pir-tongue:

Great post.

Well currently, my masses of Lego are about a 1000 miles away at my mom's, where my whole collection is slowly being disassembled when I visit and put into storage containers. I have more than a van-full in my main collection, so I really can't bring them to me until I finish my PhD and find permanent employment. My mom and sister were really nice, and have been de-masting, and shrink wrapping all of my ships which used to be on display in my basement (last time I counted I was up to 30+. Here my Lego has not been opened since I moved... I only have some of the last castle line and exo-force. I finally got a second job and can buy Lego again... but of course it is nearly impossible to find the new pirates now! So I missed out on them (I did just order the Imperial Flagship 10210) Which makes me pretty sad... I don't want to pay way over original price so I am hoping some TRU's and Shop@Home will restock them. (crossing fingers).

However, I do wargame with my armies when I have other people that are interested. I have played Evil Stevie's pirate game, and brickwars. However, I have been developing my own rules for quite some time. I wanted to make a game that could be easily converted from small unit play to large army play, while spanning from ancient mini-fig time to far-future realistically. Brickwars just assumes all technology is pretty much the same, and everything can fight everything... which is good for a pick up game and for novice gamers... but I wanted to create something more in depth. My brothers and I have come up with a basic set of rules and are working on scaling. The last time I was home my pirate hordes fought my brothers town / modern minifigs and we were relatively happy with the balance. The big problem is, other than horses, we don't really have vehicle rules yet. Some day I will finish it...

Anyway, long winded answer, but currently I store my pirates.

I am glad I am not the only one who breaks their models down into a bin.

Shame some great creations get lost, but the good thing with legos is that new ones will always get made!

I would love to have an arrangement like you have Techno McKorley!

I tried sorting all my bricks once but I am at that stage where it is too much to leave together but not enough to break apart to individual styles.

The primary concern I had with displaying my creations was that often the sun would shine on them. This led to a large portion of my white bricks becoming yellowed. A huge disappointment considering that it is a prime building color.

@SkaForHire: I agree, brikwars does simplify things down a bit. I would be interested in seeing your version at sometime. Though at this time I am more interested in just getting started! lol

I haven't kept my pirate sets intact. The pieces are sorted into various part containers. The mini-figs are here and there on my display shelf.

4427466601_94b773d42c.jpg

I have soft bristle paint brush for dusting.

Most of mine are all stored out at the farm in boxes. I filled one of the bedrooms and half filled the shipping container. We pretty much build everything and let the 4 year old play with it for a while till the next new one comes along. It then goes into a high bedroom cupboard and every 6 months we clear the cupboards and take the sets out to the farm. Just did a clearout on saturday. Another 5 ships, couple of Eldorado fortresses and a heap of islander sets plus all the town and technic stuff. We leave all sets and MOC's built, if we run out of bricks for MOC's we just buy more. I use 2 metre long cardboard boxes from automobile bumper bars to store ships in fully built.

It's like a little plastic virus that you can't get rid of.