KimT

LEGO Star Wars 2010 Pictures and Rumors

I don't quite get the hate for the new AT-AT (or any new sets, for that matter). I was also hoping the new AT-AT would be a larger, improved set with space for 2 drivers. It's not what we're getting, but I can really find no real fault with the new set, except it looks a little scrunched compared to the original set (4483). I bought 3 of the original AT-AT set, just in case another was never produced. No regrets there.

I've never cared for motorized toys too much, and the motorized AT-AT, while a neat concept, and fairly executed, still never appealed to me, and is one of only a handful of SW sets I don't own. Compared to 4483, it's meh.

If I have any gripe about the new set, it's "Why C3PO?" Given the scale of the set, w/ no real base to mention, putting more snowies and Rebel troops to man the cannon would be ideal. (I love snowtroopers, and I dig the new Hoth Rebel trooper as well, so more of both is good) I'm actually surprised a snowspeeder wasn't included in this set, too. It'd be appropriate, and a chance to give us a new pilot fig, although the snowspeeder has been showing up alot in the last few years. The AT-AT and the snowspeeder are probably my two favorite vehicles in SW, and The Hoth scene in Ep V my favorite part of any of the OT. This could easily become a large battlepack.

I don't quite get the hate for the new AT-AT (or any new sets, for that matter). I was also hoping the new AT-AT would be a larger, improved set with space for 2 drivers. It's not what we're getting, but I can really find no real fault with the new set, except it looks a little scrunched compared to the original set (4483). I bought 3 of the original AT-AT set, just in case another was never produced. No regrets there.

I've never cared for motorized toys too much, and the motorized AT-AT, while a neat concept, and fairly executed, still never appealed to me, and is one of only a handful of SW sets I don't own. Compared to 4483, it's meh.

If I have any gripe about the new set, it's "Why C3PO?" Given the scale of the set, w/ no real base to mention, putting more snowies and Rebel troops to man the cannon would be ideal. (I love snowtroopers, and I dig the new Hoth Rebel trooper as well, so more of both is good) I'm actually surprised a snowspeeder wasn't included in this set, too. It'd be appropriate, and a chance to give us a new pilot fig, although the snowspeeder has been showing up alot in the last few years. The AT-AT and the snowspeeder are probably my two favorite vehicles in SW, and The Hoth scene in Ep V my favorite part of any of the OT. This could easily become a large battlepack.

I think you are looking at this wrong why would we want a midi scale at-at as the 3rd design

what really bothers me is that it could be along time if ever we will get a USC at-at I cant see lego doing 4 different at-ats in 10 years

so who really cares for the figures they are all dupes except luke gets the zev torso and han bespin ( new torso) is in the set why??? you tell me

this set was a great chance to put some other figures in

and when you look at the at-ats legs they are not even putting the printed discs in the new at-at

Edited by pugsx3

I think you are looking at this wrong why would we want a midi scale at-at as the 3rd design

what really bothers me is that it could be along time if ever we will get a USC at-at I cant see lego doing 4 different at-ats in 10 years

so who really cares for the figures they are all dupes except luke gets the zev torso and han bespin ( new torso) is in the set why??? you tell me

this set was a great chance to put some other figures in

and when you look at the at-ats legs they are not even putting the printed discs in the new at-at

I'm not sure why the "midi" term is being thrown around for this new Walker. There's nothing midi about it. It's clearly minifig scale, if a little smaller than 4483. The most apparent difference in size, going by the picture, is in the middle section. It's two studs shorter in height as the 12x2 plate found on 4483 is not part of the new Walker. The legs might also be shorter by two to four studs, if the shoulder discs remain small, although the legs are the same length as those on 4483 upto the bottom of the shoulder discs. The rest of the dimensions are very obscure. Currently all that exists as evidence of this new walker is a photo of a photo of the model in a catalogue, and that's it. It's not the clearest of pictures, and certainly doesn't reveal everything. The walker is at an odd angle, the head isn't in line with the body, looking more towards camera, and once again, our reference is a photo of a photo. It could be distorted. For all we know it could be a preliminary shot. The model as we've seen it so far, could go through changes. Who's to say the discs on the legs will remain bare? Hopefully a little detail will be added to the shoulders and knees. With a summer release date, there is still plenty of time for Lego to add some finishing touches to the AT-AT Walker. Compare early pictures of the new Slave 1 to how it looks now. Nothing is set in stone till release day.

the new at-at is not mifig scale it is system scale, my atat is mifig scale.

just wanted to clear that up.... :tongue:

I'm not sure why the "midi" term is being thrown around for this new Walker. There's nothing midi about it. It's clearly minifig scale, if a little smaller than 4483. The most apparent difference in size, going by the picture, is in the middle section. It's two studs shorter in height as the 12x2 plate found on 4483 is not part of the new Walker. The legs might also be shorter by two to four studs, if the shoulder discs remain small, although the legs are the same length as those on 4483 upto the bottom of the shoulder discs. The rest of the dimensions are very obscure. Currently all that exists as evidence of this new walker is a photo of a photo of the model in a catalogue, and that's it. It's not the clearest of pictures, and certainly doesn't reveal everything. The walker is at an odd angle, the head isn't in line with the body, looking more towards camera, and once again, our reference is a photo of a photo. It could be distorted. For all we know it could be a preliminary shot. The model as we've seen it so far, could go through changes. Who's to say the discs on the legs will remain bare? Hopefully a little detail will be added to the shoulders and knees. With a summer release date, there is still plenty of time for Lego to add some finishing touches to the AT-AT Walker. Compare early pictures of the new Slave 1 to how it looks now. Nothing is set in stone till release day.

on yakface.com they refer to it as midi

I think those discs are not very rare they are in 4 sets and the larger disc at the top of the leg is used for scale in my opinion

when you look at the new 8129 it is only 4 studs wide not 8 the look is I believe to give it more midi scale look if that is a word

it is not mini fig size and I would be suprised if any figures even go in it

why they can build a cafe corner with 2000+ pieces but still want to build a small at-at is beyond me

there is a market for the bigger sets not the little sets with repacked mini figs it is a way for lego to put the at-at back in reatail stores

like toys r us and put a 119.00 us price on it

personally will buy the han mini figure before I spend the money on a big (at-at with the 8083 battle pack in it )

Edited by pugsx3

That's great, but seeing as Yakface don't seem to know more than anyone else about 8129, nor do they pay a great deal of attention to Lego products, I'll not be taking their word as gospel.

I think those discs are not very rare they are in 4 sets and the larger disc at the top of the leg is used for scale in my opinion

I didn't say rare, I said BARE, as in not printed. Hopefully this will change and the discs will receive some printing.

when you look at the new 8129 it is only 4 studs wide not 8 the look is I believe to give it more midi scale look if that is a word

How can you tell how wide the new AT-AT is from the only picture of it? The picture shows nothing of the depth. 4483 is 8 studs across the top, ten if you count the extra width added by the side plates. But I wouldn't like to guess as to how wide 8129 is across the back. But seeing as the legs and feet on both walkers appear to be of the same dimensions, 8129 can't be only 4 studs wide. The left and right feet on 4483 are only 2 studs apart and it doesn't have inner toes. If 8129 were so narrow as you suggest, it would be tripping up it's own feet with every step.

As far as early indicators go, 8 minifigures are included with 8129. This could change by release day, but appears unlikely. I can't think of many Star Wars minifig scale sets that combines a vehicle/machine with minifigures that doesn't allow the figures to sit within the model, except maybe Spider droids and Vulture droids which don't need pilots anyway. I don't think Lego have released many sets like that since the late 70's/early 80's.

Going by the look of the head, I'm sure it has room for the pilot or Veers. I'm not seeing how both could fit together at the moment. The main body of the walker seems to open up like that on 4483, so should be able to accommodate the 2 Snowtroopers. And although 4483 only included two Snowtroopers, it had seating enough for four, plus enough room to hold a speeder bike. I'm thinking that 8129 should be able to accommodate it's included figures. But until further pictures come out, this is just speculation based on the previous walker.

SW_18_001.jpg

There is a market for the bigger sets not the little sets with repacked mini figs it is a way for lego to put the at-at back in reatail stores like toys r us and put a 119.00 us price on it.

There's a market for both, it would seem, or I doubt Lego would be releasing such sets all the time. Either that or Lego knows that regardless of what they release, or what price it is (within reason), it will sell very well. As for no market for "little sets with repacked mini figs"; What would you say a battle pack is? So far the only one of those that has truly introduced something new is the recent Hoth rebel set, and to be honest, they are just new looks for older figures, (how many different Hoth rebels since 1999?) The new designs are also about to be re-released in upcoming sets.

You're quite right, it is a way for Lego to put the AT-AT back on the shelves. And since it has been 7 years since the release of a minifig scale AT-AT, I can't see why another one can't be released. A new generation of Lego collectors can now get their hands on an AT-AT, and us old timer's might want it too, especially if we missed the first one.

Edited by afosl

Well said, afosl.

Seeing as this could be prelim, perhaps we arn't seeing the whole picture? There could easily be a hidden base in that picture :tongue: .

why they can build a cafe corner with 2000+ pieces but still want to build a small at-at is beyond me

there is a market for the bigger sets not the little sets with repacked mini figs it is a way for lego to put the at-at back in reatail stores

like toys r us and put a 119.00 us price on it

personally will buy the han mini figure before I spend the money on a big (at-at with the 8083 battle pack in it )

Pugsx3, please use punctuation and capitalization where appropriate; it demonstrates maturity and discipline, as well as making your thoughts clearer. If you look closely, the head is 4 studs wide at the top, and angles to 6 wide at the bottom, plus additional width for the side plating. The head is 4 studs tall at the front, angling to 6 studs high at the aft, and is 9 studs long from front to aft. The head can easily accommodate a mini-fig, or 2 in-line. The body, from the angle of the photo, is undiscernable for width. Also, as mentioned, it's far too early to judge the set by these pics, as far as details and printing go. As I said before, it looks a bit smaller than its predecessor, but still pretty decently sized, as compared to the minifigs featured in the pic. I personally have no problem with the look of the legs; if they remain the same in the production model, then rejoice, b/c it's made of LEGO and can be modified rather easily, and without the mess of modifying something like an action figure, which might require drilling, sanding, painting, etc. I did notice that the lower legs are only 2 studs wide, while the top part is 4. The main body of the feet are still 6 wide, 8 wide including the "toes". Big feet, little legs. :laugh:

I did notice that the lower legs are only 2 studs wide, while the top part is 4. The main body of the feet are still 6 wide, 8 wide including the "toes". Big feet, little legs. :laugh:

The lower legs on both walkers, old and new, are only two studs wide, not counting any plating on the forward/rear facing edges of the legs. Both models also use the arch piece at the ankle, but 4483 has much more detail on the inside lower leg and a lot of it is also hidden by this construction:-

16.jpg

8129 definitely has fewer bricks/elements at the ankle and the whole construction looks a lot more open. The more I look at the current picture of 8129, the more I can see where the 250+ pieces have been taken from, when compared to 4483.

Edited by afosl

I think if the AT-AT legs were any wider on any of the models, it would look very strange and blocky. :sceptic: It fits the size ratios well.

SW_18_001.jpg

Did anyone notice that R2 has the new dome print? :look: Probably just a mistake, but I just thought I'd point it out.

Did anyone notice that R2 has the new dome print? :look: Probably just a mistake, but I just thought I'd point it out.

Well lets see.......

sw217.jpg

This R2 is found in the Battle Of Endor and the new Luke's Landspeeder.

sw255.jpg

This one - only one set the yellow Y-wing (CW).

sw028.jpg

The X-wings, the sandcrawler, in fact any set needing R2 in it prior to 2006 came with this R2 unit.

So we can now compere to that page of that catalogue.

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Its probably just a misprint. R2's dome isnt supposed to be white but rather a grey-ish silver. If they do change all the R2's to that white it may cause a air bit of controversy.

Im surprised the set hasnt been discontinued yet as well.

Well I own both the X-wing (like I said) plus Battle of Endor, I know for a fact that both R2's are different and the newer R2's have a greyish dome with white body - why ? ......Only Lego and Lucas knows !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Its probably just a misprint. R2's dome isnt supposed to be white but rather a grey-ish silver. If they do change all the R2's to that white it may cause a air bit of controversy.

Im surprised the set hasnt been discontinued yet as well.

Maybe it's just the poster. :sceptic:

They've probably done this so that the 'old' white-head R2 that comes with the X-Wing looks less different to the new grey-head R2. It must just be for the poster, though: I've bought a 6212 recently and it has the old R2 head.

Well noticed Oky.

I think the new design (if it is not a mistake) is good, even though it is not accurate. But hey, that's LEGO. :classic:

The "new" R2 is included in the 6212 X-Wing fighter and this one still includes the old design from 1999 - 2007. As long as they don´t want to do a third rerelease of the X-Wing, they will include old R2 in this set until the end of time.

The "new" R2 is included in the 6212 X-Wing fighter and this one still includes the old design from 1999 - 2007. As long as they don´t want to do a third rerelease of the X-Wing, they will include old R2 in this set until the end of time.

Wait... now I'm confused. 6212 has the old R2 head. In the poster he has the new one, but the set has the old one. So I don't know what "this one" is. Can you please explain what you mean?

I think that it's just a misprint in the typo, but they could be putting the new R2 head into the sets. I was recently at ToysRus, and they had at least 40 X-wings stacked up, which was pretty weird to me.

Edited by Darth Legolas

No, see, the X-Wing is a much older set, released when they had the old Artoo. That is the old Artoo. This new horrid grey one is different. This poster has the older one

Anyone hear anything about Cad Banes speeder?

There seems to be a lot of confusion for some regarding the Artoo minifigure. I may aswell put my two penneth into the mix, and I think my thoughts are shared with one or two others.

Wait... now I'm confused. 6212 has the old R2 head. In the poster he has the new one, but the set has the old one. So I don't know what "this one" is. Can you please explain what you mean?

I think that it's just a misprint in the typo, but they could be putting the new R2 head into the sets. I was recently at ToysRus, and they had at least 40 X-wings stacked up, which was pretty weird to me.

The older style Artoo is found in 6212.

sw028.jpg

This Artoo is probably Lego's longest serving minifigure. It became available in 1999 with the release of the original X-Wing and Naboo Fighter sets. It has appeared in a set every year up to and including 2008, when it appeared in 7669; Anakins Jedi Starfighter and 7680; The Twilight. Clone wars sets with original style Artoo minifigures.

This minifigure is still available today as part of 6212; X-Wing Fighter which was released in 2006.

Lego could be putting the new Artoos in to late releases of 6212, as you say, but until someone confirms this, we won't know. I would imagine that after 4 years on the shelves (unusual for a Lego Star Wars set), 6212 is coming to the end of it's production run.

No, see, the X-Wing is a much older set, released when they had the old Artoo. That is the old Artoo. This new horrid grey one is different. This poster has the older one

The poster doesn't seem to show any Artoo that's been available. If anything the minifigure on the poster shows the new pattern, but on a white dome. It almost as if Lego printed the poster to show a transition from old to new. Maybe this design will start showing up in all recently produced 6212 X-Wing sets. But that is just speculation, and in all honesty, I do not see that happening.

I don't think there is anything horrid about the new Artoo style.

sw217.jpg

First seen in 2008 with the release of 10188; Death Star, I think this new Artoo is a more accurate rendition. The grey dome is closer to silver than the white ever was, and the detail printing gives a better representation of the actual droid it's based on. The printing is miles better than that found on the original Artoo minifigure, whose printing was only at the top of the dome, leaving a empty white band between the printing and the rest of the Artoo unit's body. I know it's all we had for 9 years, so we just accepted it, but this new one really is a big improvement that was a long time overdue. All we need now, is some printing on the back of the Artoo body and this minifigure will be as good as it can be.

Lego will likely be phasing out the old style head in 2010 rerelease of the x-wing, like they did with the astromech in the star destroyer when it was rereleased in 2008, yet even down to the inventory page and box still showed the old style head.

I don't think there is anything horrid about the new Artoo style.

>snip<

First seen in 2008 with the release of 10188; Death Star, I think this new Artoo is a more accurate rendition. The grey dome is closer to silver than the white ever was, and the detail printing gives a better representation of the actual droid it's based on. The printing is miles better than that found on the original Artoo minifigure, whose printing was only at the top of the dome, leaving a empty white band between the printing and the rest of the Artoo unit's body. I know it's all we had for 9 years, so we just accepted it, but this new one really is a big improvement that was a long time overdue. All we need now, is some printing on the back of the Artoo body and this minifigure will be as good as it can be.

Well said sir, I couldn't agree more :classic: The new head is in my opinion a much better rendition, creating a more convincing astromech. It's presumably harder to print, because the printing can be a bit wibbly, but I still prefer it.