def

What are you reading?

Currently reading Neil Shubin's Your Inner Fish. ... I also got my copy autographed! Woo!

Lucky you :grin:

I need to read his other books. TGSOE was great.

I can only recommend that, but have to warn you of "The Extended Phenotype". This is aimed mostly at scientist and could be quite a struggle for the layperson. Almost every other sentence Dawkins refers to the work or a paper of other scientists you might never have heard about before (the work, not necessarily the scientist). That made it bit boring for me, because more often than not I didn't know what he was talking about.

I highly recommend his "Unweaving the Rainbow" which is not so much about evolution but more about science in general. It also has one of the best first paragraphs of a popular science book I've read so far.

Right now I 'm reading "Your Body - The Fish That Evolved" by Keith Harrison. It gives an overview of the evolution of Homo Sapiens (that's us) starting with the first bilateria and explains which parts of our bodies come from which of our ancestors: fish, amphibians, reptiles, mammals. It does not go very much into details but still makes you look at your body with different eyes.

I said year 9 or 10, not 10 year olds.

That does explain a lot. :laugh:

Don't be personally offended.

I was just throwing in some humble bits of humor there. Sorry if that wasn't clear! :sadnew:

I am from Australia too by the way! ;)

NO! I AM NOT FROM AUSTRALIA! I AM NOT PUTTING UP WITH THAT! :tongue:

Seriously, you wouldn't believe how often Austria gets confused with Australia. That's so annoying. "I'm from Austria" - "Oh, you're from Australia, niceee!" :angry:

:classic:

Cheers!

Edited by Enpaz

NO! I AM NOT FROM AUSTRALIA! I AM NOT PUTTING UP WITH THAT! :tongue:

Seriously, you wouldn't believe how often Austria gets confused with Australia. That's so annoying. "I'm from Austria" - "Oh, you're from Australia, niceee!" :angry:

The reason I mentioned I was from Australia was because you mention I was from England! (see below)

@Cutlass:

PS: If the "pupil's torturers" of England are books like Orwell's Animal Farm then you should consider yourself lucky!

But I can see that it would be a common mistake for the slightly less uneducated people of the world to make. Just like Swiss and Swedish people always get confused. One has cheese and milkmaids, the other IKEA and blonde babes! Too easy! Hahaha! :laugh:

I just bought and started reading Terry Pratchett's- I Shall Wear Midnight. It is my first Pratchett book but it is promising so far.

I'm terribly sorry then. The too made me make the false assumption. How irresponsible of you to try to trick a poor old man like that! :laugh:

I am from Australia too by the way! ;)

I won't doubt your intellect ever again. :tongue:

IKEA and blonde babes... haha, that's a good one. So true, so true...

Aaand what am I reading at the moment? A literary Advent Calendar of 24 short stories and a very good History book.

I just bought and started reading Terry Pratchett's- I Shall Wear Midnight. It is my first Pratchett book but it is promising so far.

Aah I Shall Wear Midnight is a wonderful book, you will like it.

Reading Time of the Twins by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman

I will get that book for christmas. But you definitely wan't to read more books from Terry Pratchett. The books are always full of jokes and cross-references which you will mis otherwise.

Currently I am re-reading The Brain That Changes Itself from Norman Doidge, M.D.

Not quite popular-science, but very interesting if you're interested in how a brain works.

I finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (the last Harry Potter book) on Sunday it was a great read. :thumbup:

~buddy~

Aah I Shall Wear Midnight is a wonderful book, you will like it.

Reading Time of the Twins by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman

I hope so, it is really good so far.

I will get that book for christmas. But you definitely wan't to read more books from Terry Pratchett. The books are always full of jokes and cross-references which you will mis otherwise.

Currently I am re-reading The Brain That Changes Itself from Norman Doidge, M.D.

Not quite popular-science, but very interesting if you're interested in how a brain works.

After reading this, I will be buying some more of his books. It seems I have been missing out for years :thumbup::sceptic:

@ Burman May I suggest reading Guards Guards! By Terry Pratchett and Mort by same author also.. those are very good books of his also.

I am currently reading Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman, and The Adventures of Tintin: Curse of the Seven Crystal Balls (or something).

Cocoa Puffis the lulziest thing I've ever read.

Burman: Getting the last book so far of the mini-series can be a terminal mistake! I jumped into Discworld with a book half way into one of the many character series within and was so confused by it I didn't read another until the cover of Soul Music appealed to me. (At 15, a grim reaper on a motorcycle is awesome). Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky and Wintersmith all preceed that book, fleshing out some of the details one is assumed to already know before approaching the book.

At the moment, I myself am planning on rereading all the Watch books, then possibly the Witches.

I have just finished yet another Harris book, Enigma - the base for the same-titled 2001 film which you might have seen. I can only repeat: start reading Harris, fellas! :classic:

Cheers!

Got this for Christmas. It's pretty funny. "The Daily Show" is a comedy news show that probably only airs in the USA, and this book is co-authored by writers from the show:

20100830-231304-pic-988173555.jpg

It's kind of a coffee table book with a bunch of photos and such, but it's all geared to make you laugh.

Just finished "Imperium der Zukunft - Warum Europa Weltmacht werden muss" (Empire of the Future - Why Europe must become a Great Power, don't know if it has been translated yet) by Alan Posener. Very interesting read.

Now reading "Goldfinger" by Ian Fleming.

PM

Just finished 'Guards Guards' by Terry Pratchett

I'm now reading 'Storm Glass' by Maria V. Snyder

D

I've now moved on to 'Sea Glass' by Maria V. Snyder

D

Today I bought...

waroftheworlds.jpg

The War of the Worlds, Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies by H.G. Wells and Eric S. Brown. :laugh:

Oh I've been reading short stories lately... needed them to prepare for an English exam. :grin:

Cheers!

I've now moved on to 'Sea Glass' by Maria V. Snyder

D

and now I'm starting 'Spy Glass' by Maria V. Snyder, I don't know what is going on I don't usually have time to read much but I'm getting through loads at the moment

D