EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

Two weeks ago for me at the cinema....HP7 part 1.....totally AWESOME :grin: and can't wait for part 2.....but poor Dobby ! :cry_sad:

Keep on watching COOL movies ! :grin:

I watched Scott Pilgrim for the second time tonight. It's really a remarkable film. The comic is enjoyable, but I think the movie really trumps it. I'm from Toronto, so the setting kills me (location two, Casa Loma, is awesome, and, when I was in T.O. there was no night watch, so you could hop the fence and walk the grounds at night, an awesome, awesome memory). The integration of vocals and CGI are really fluid, and totally unexpected from the director, Wright, who's never done this sort of thing before. Except for the gaudy colors of Ramona Flowers, I love it all. Though if I were Scott, I would've gone for Knives at the end.

I'll watch this every few years or so in the future. It reminds me of being 21.

Last night, I went to a double feature with my family for Christmas.

My uncle and I saw Tron, and it was amazing. I loved the story, and the games scenes were epic. The effects were pretty good.

Then we saw HP7 (I for the second time), and it was as good as ever. One of my favorite movies.

I watched Scott Pilgrim for the second time tonight. It's really a remarkable film. The comic is enjoyable, but I think the movie really trumps it. I'm from Toronto, so the setting kills me (location two, Casa Loma, is awesome, and, when I was in T.O. there was no night watch, so you could hop the fence and walk the grounds at night, an awesome, awesome memory). The integration of vocals and CGI are really fluid, and totally unexpected from the director, Wright, who's never done this sort of thing before. Except for the gaudy colors of Ramona Flowers, I love it all. Though if I were Scott, I would've gone for Knives at the end.

I'll watch this every few years or so in the future. It reminds me of being 21.

:wub: I watched it again with cast commentary last night, interesting and entertaining. I've seen that movie far too many times, and I still love it. :grin: I suggest you watch the deleted scenes, particularly the alternate ending. I watched them with commentary from Edgar Wright, and learnt quite a bit about the decisions and such that were made during the whole process of making the film.

Now, other movies I've seen recently:

The Punisher (2005 version) - Love it. Partly because The Punisher is a favourite Marvel character, partly because Thomas Jane plays him so well, partly because he's a total bad-ass.

How to Train Your Dragon - Gave this another watch, and still think it's a brilliant film. Good fun.

Mutant Chronicles - I watched this after getting The Punisher, because this also has Thomas Jane in it. It's also got Ron Perlman (Hellboy), so yeah. It wasn't bad, if a bit clichéd.

RED - Retired, Extremely Dangerous. :laugh: Another fun movie based on a graphic novel, with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich... Good cast, good movie.

Zombieland - Another great movie.

Grindhouse: Death Proof - Tarantino's half of the Grindhouse double feature. I watched this for 2 reasons, 1) I had seen Planet Terror and had been meaning to see Grindhouse's other half, and 2) It has Mary Elizabeth Winstead in it. :grin:

So yeah, I think I've finally exhausted my movies now... :tongue:

The last movie I've seen in theaters would have to be Tron. Really, really good movie.

Last movie I've seen on my good old TV had to be Resident Evil Afterlife. Again, pretty good movie. I think that's just because I love everything to do with Resident Evil.

I watched Toy Story 3 tonight with my son,gets a big thumbs up from me,had to hold back the tears at the end tho :cry_sad:

I just saw "American Gangster" on television and it is a pretty good film! En plus, it's based on a true story. Very thrilling at times, especially in the end, so I'd recommend watching it if you see it on TV sometime.

I watched 'New Kids Turbo' in our cinema yesterday. It's a Dutch film so I think most of you don't know it.

There was so much violence and cursewords in the movie that after a while it started to bore me and the story wasn't very good either..

But there were funny parts in it as well. (on a range from 1-5 and 5 is the best, I would give this one 3).

Star wars 4-6 then 1-3, novastar hadn't seen any of the SW films in 28 years no small achievement IMO

Pinks

Star wars 4-6 then 1-3, novastar hadn't seen any of the SW films in 28 years no small achievement IMO

Pinks

And now very much a fan :laugh:

Saw Tron - Legacy. Didn't live up to all the hype. I mean the visuals were excellent. Probably the best I've seen in recent memory, but the story, the pace of the movie... all lacked. Even got a bit boring at times.

Over Christmas when my mother was in town we watched "Temple Grandin". It stars Claire Danes as a young woman who has autism and ends up going to college and eventually comes up with some very interesting innovations for cattle processing (butchering), uh, farms I guess you would call them. It was pretty good, but the way the main character is always yelling becomes grating after a while. What can I say, it was a movie my mom brought with her. :)

We also saw Toy Story 3, which was definitely good, but was maybe a little too dark in parts. Creepy cock-eyed baby doll, anyone?

Fantastic Four- Ew.

:sad:

The first one wasn't too bad, was it? Having said that I'm a sucker for all Marvel movies...

On topic, I saw Ace Ventura 2: When Nature Calls again last night, for the first time in about 7 years. :laugh:

I also started watching Serenity, but stopped because when it finishes I'll have watched through all of Firefly again. :cry_sad: It had such potential too...

saw "True Grit" in one word...Awsome

Agreed! As my first Western flick, I was unsure of what to expect, but certainly not disappointed. The acting was great, I really liked the marshal character.

Agreed! As my first Western flick, I was unsure of what to expect, but certainly not disappointed. The acting was great, I really liked the marshal character.

I saw it with my brother and dad, and while we all agreed that Matt Damon did an excellent job, and Jeff Bridges did really well too, we thought that the girl was forgettable in a sense, she got to the point where she was rather annoying. The story was cool and there were bits of humor that I though enjoyable

"cut him down I might know him"

*woosh*

"I do not know this man"

all and all I thought it was good, but at the end we were regreting not seeing "the kings speech" instead, perhaps someone who saw both movies could tell me which they preferred.

For whatever it's worth, don't expect the same kind of movie from the other Coen Bros. movie that is in the same vain as Westerns (even though it takes place today), No Country for Old Men. While that movie is also quite good (in my opinion) it is very nihilistic.

Depending on what you liked about it, some other Westerns that are among the better ones I have seen are Tombstone, Silverado, and Pale Rider. Honorable mention to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. But I haven't watched a ton of Westerns (not a single John Wayne movie) so take that for what you will. Those movies aren't big on humor, for instance (though they have their moments).

I also recently watched True Grit and I thought it was pretty good. I was surprised that the Coen Bros made a PG 13 movie since most of the recent movies have been R (I think), but there were still the scenes of sudden and graphic violence that I have come to expect from them and it wasn't toned down as much as I thought it would be (the cabin scene).

I saw it with my brother and dad, and while we all agreed that Matt Damon did an excellent job

So well, in fact, that I didn't even know he was in it until the credits. default_laugh_new.gif

we thought that the girl was forgettable in a sense, she got to the point where she was rather annoying.

Agreed on that as well. Also, not to sound sexist, but I thought she was way too knowledgeable and snappy for girl of that age in that time. While not particularly annoying, I think that it was historically inaccurate. Not many people knew how to read or write during that time, especially women who were discouraged to learn. I think. It might've been earlier than when this took place.

For whatever it's worth

A lot, actually, thanks for your tips. I'll check into a few of those other Westerns you suggested.