:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I've been saying this for aaaagggeeeesss, it's a shame though, as it appears to have been forgotten by LEGO themselves. The pics of all of them together in 10197 Fire Brigade are missing Market Street. :sad:

Nevermind though, you and me know the truth. :tongue:

Edit: Oh, and Market Street is still my favourite of them all!

Hi Mr Hobbles,

We are very careful to only show sets on the box which will be available during the time of the launch. Consumers get very upset when you show them models which they cannot buy or build. It's a similar reason why we don't show inspiration models anymore. When consumers see an alternative model on the box, they assume instructions are provided for it. When they can't get/build a model that they want, it's a huge let down.

When the Fire Brigade came out, we almost didn't include the Cafe Corner on the box either because it was exiting the market soon after the launch. Now that both Market Street and Cafe Corner have exited the market, we unfortunately will not show the whole street in any visuals used to promote the line :( Well, that's not to say we couldn't do some sort of 'historical' overview some day. But it's extremely unlikely that would ever show up on a box or in building instructions.

Cheers,

jamie

But it's extremely unlikely that would ever show up on a box or in building instructions.

I don't think there will be a need for such a group shot as it will probably show up pretty quickly after the release of GE, which reminds me: Is the release scheduled for early, mid, or late March?

I like the CC tag that the staff created for you. Really unique!

cafecorneralt.png

Now that both Market Street and Cafe Corner have exited the market, we unfortunately will not show the whole street in any visuals used to promote the line :( Well, that's not to say we couldn't do some sort of 'historical' overview some day.

Cheers,

jamie

No worry, we'll take care of that! :tongue:

I don't think there will be a need for such a group shot as it will probably show up pretty quickly after the release of GE, which reminds me: Is the release scheduled for early, mid, or late March?

cafecorneralt.png

Lego usually releases there products at the beginning of the month. i'm sure that we will find out more in the next couple of weeks.

cafecorneralt.png

Good question as to whether this was created by Lego. It actually comes from the same non-public directory on Brickshelf as the tag used by member Svelte. Maybe they know each other.

Good question as to whether this was created by Lego. It actually comes from the same non-public directory on Brickshelf as the tag used by member Svelte. Maybe they know each other.

Brickshelf is just a holding position for the tag only :wink: It will find a home with all the others shortly.

Hello Jamie Berard,

First of all, I want to say thanks for all the nicely designed houses you are bringing to us.

Can you reveal a bit more on the Grand Emporium 10211, especially what's on the 2nd and 3rd floors?

We can't wait to get more news or pictures from it.....

I would like to say that 2 modular buildings per year would be just great.....

some future ideas:

post office

dentist / doctors practice

keep up the good works and share some of your ideas with us here please.

best regards,

Henri

Edited by Henri

We are very careful to only show sets on the box which will be available during the time of the launch. Consumers get very upset when you show them models which they cannot buy or build. It's a similar reason why we don't show inspiration models anymore. When consumers see an alternative model on the box, they assume instructions are provided for it. When they can't get/build a model that they want, it's a huge let down.

Jamie,

Has it ever been discussed at TLG to offer alternate instructions as .PDF downloads from the Web site, or perhaps as LDD files or something similar? I can understand not doing preprinted, bound, and packaged 3-in-1 Creator-style instructions for the modular line, but I suspect a fair number of MOC-challenged builders would be induced to purchase multiple copies of a set if there were easy to follow "official" build instructions for 'according-to-Jamie' alternate models, or even build instructions that combined sets beyond just restacking multiple copies of a floor.

Thanks!

Edited by richb

That's interesting. I didn't know that was the reason LEGO stopped putting alternate models on the box art. I always enjoyed looking at some of the creative ideas based on bricks originally used for building something else entirely - even if my few attempts to recreate some of those alternate models from the pictures failed miserably.

When the Fire Brigade came out, we almost didn't include the Cafe Corner on the box either because it was exiting the market soon after the launch. Now that both Market Street and Cafe Corner have exited the market, we unfortunately will not show the whole street in any visuals used to promote the line :( Well, that's not to say we couldn't do some sort of 'historical' overview some day.

Historical overview showing the whole street?

Yes, please.

Although I'm sure many Eurobricks members will be happy to provide some shots of their own. :wink:

Did Jamie drop us a hint in which direction the next one might take or not ?

quote - 'that's not to say we couldn't do some sort of 'historical' overview some day.' - unquote

What a book, a set that links them all together or another building in the series which is 'historical' like a museum !

Did Jamie drop us a hint in which direction the next one might take or not ?

quote - 'that's not to say we couldn't do some sort of 'historical' overview some day.' - unquote

What a book, a set that links them all together or another building in the series which is 'historical' like a museum !

How about a retro product any AFoL would really love, a Bill & Mary Idea Book (6000) updated for 2010? Bill and Mary celebrate their 30th Anniversary by moving to a modular town, where the houses have four walls and the sidewalks are paved! It could be done exactly like that classic book (this was easily my favorite LEGO product as a kid, and it wasn't even a brick!), pages of ideas with some call outs showing SNOT techniques, advanced building, and a few abbreviated floor plans/instructions to get people started.

If a rep from LEGO told me a Modular Idea Book was in the works, I'd preorder one yesterday.

If a rep from LEGO told me a Modular Idea Book was in the works, I'd preorder one yesterday.

So would I! :wub:

Great idea, richb!

Hi Mr Hobbles,

When the Fire Brigade came out, we almost didn't include the Cafe Corner on the box either because it was exiting the market soon after the launch. Now that both Market Street and Cafe Corner have exited the market, we unfortunately will not show the whole street in any visuals used to promote the line :( Well, that's not to say we couldn't do some sort of 'historical' overview some day. But it's extremely unlikely that would ever show up on a box or in building instructions.

Cheers,

jamie

I see, that's very interesting. I suppose it does explain why there are less alternate models in sets than there used to be. Also glad to see Lego doesn't hate Market Street. ;)

So, pardon me for reading between the lines, but part of the reason for this building being chosen for release at this point in time is that it's a corner building? What with Cafe Corner no longer in production, did Lego need a different corner building for photographic purposes, to help achieve those 60/30 isometric product shots without having to resort to showing a blank side wall? Or am I reading too deeply into it.

Edited by Mr Hobbles

I would like to say that 2 modular buildings per year would be just great.....

some future ideas:

post office

dentist / doctors practice

keep up the good works and share some of your ideas with us here please.

best regards,

Henri

Hi Henri,

I appreciate the compliments. Yes, I agree that the possibilities for future buidlings are endless. We'll all just have to hope they continue to sell well so that we can keep making more :)

Jamie,

Has it ever been discussed at TLG to offer alternate instructions as .PDF downloads from the Web site, or perhaps as LDD files or something similar? I can understand not doing preprinted, bound, and packaged 3-in-1 Creator-style instructions for the modular line, but I suspect a fair number of MOC-challenged builders would be induced to purchase multiple copies of a set if there were easy to follow "official" build instructions for 'according-to-Jamie' alternate models, or even build instructions that combined sets beyond just restacking multiple copies of a floor.

Thanks!

Hi Rich,

Yes this has been discussed, but no it's not likely to happen anytime soon. Even if the printing and packaging were free, it takes a lot of resources to create alternative models and instructions. The Ultimate Collector's Millenium Falcon took 1 year in man-hours just to create the building instructions. If we were to try and make an alternate model with instructions, that would not only double the time needed for building instructions, but it would also take a whole lot more time from the designer and all those who help approve the model in a model review process.

Long story short--Alternative models are great, but best suited to lower price points.

So, pardon me for reading between the lines, but part of the reason for this building being chosen for release at this point in time is that it's a corner building? What with Cafe Corner no longer in production, did Lego need a different corner building for photographic purposes, to help achieve those 60/30 isometric product shots without having to resort to showing a blank side wall? Or am I reading too deeply into it.

It is true that the Cafe Corner is no longer in production. The currently available modular street includes the Green Grocer and Fire Brigade.

Cheers,

jamie

The shop sign doesn't look so stable, considering it's only held up by two headlight bricks :look:

The shop sign doesn't look so stable, considering it's only held up by two headlight bricks :look:

If you look closer, it's actually supported on each end by a black 1x1 upright holder plate as well.

Hi Henri,

I appreciate the compliments. Yes, I agree that the possibilities for future buidlings are endless. We'll all just have to hope they continue to sell well so that we can keep making more :)

Jamie,

Can you share with us how many Cafe Corners were sold worldwide? And how many Green Grocers and Fire brigades sofar.

It is interesting to find out what would be considdered a succes at Lego for these kind of sets. I have no idea, is that a coule of thousands, 10.000s or 100.000s?

One more thing my son wants to know: where do those super-builders (like yourself) work, is that all in Denmark or are there builders everywhere around the world? I am sure some more people here would appreciate a few pictures of your workspace.....

regards,

Henri

I am sure some more people here would appreciate a few pictures of your workspace.....

I subscribe to the Office Snapshots RSS feed exactly because I love seeing stuff like this. Even just a picture of your desk/office would be great Jamie. :thumbup: (With appropriate stuff blurred out if necessary!)

Such a beautiful set... :cry_happy:

Just a few comments on the Market Street discussion:

-The colour scheme might not look nice on pictures, but in real life the navy and light blue look fantastic together, especially with the grey accents where the "paint" peeled off.

-It's fully modular AND you can separate the building from the "market". This offers plenty of ways to arrange your layout; I put the market next to the Green Grocer and I consider it the outdoor part of the store, plus the tan of the market fits great with the colour scheme of GG.

-I bought Market Street in a "panic rush" on e-bay when S@H announced it as sold out. I paid more for the set + I had to pay extra to get it mailed to Europe, but I never regreted buying it...

A few weeks later it was back on sale at S@H :hmpf_bad:

Anyway, as I was saying:

Such a beautiful set... :cry_happy:

Damn: Fire Brigade, Imperial Flagship, Grand Emporium (at least one :laugh:) ; So many sets still to buy :hmpf:

Must... safe... more... money...

But hey, do we really have to eat everyday? :tongue:

Jamie,

Can you share with us how many Cafe Corners were sold worldwide? And how many Green Grocers and Fire brigades sofar.

It is interesting to find out what would be considdered a succes at Lego for these kind of sets. I have no idea, is that a coule of thousands, 10.000s or 100.000s?

Interesting question... Don't know if TLC is going to share this info though :sadnew:

Anyhow, I'm going to do my share and add at least one Fire Brigade and one Emporium to the sales figures... in a couple of months probably :wink:

Edited by Brick & Mortimer

I sincerely doubt Jamie is allowed to comment on sales figures.

I know it's exciting to have him here, but let's try and keep questions reasonable :wink:

I know it's exciting to have him here, but let's try and keep questions reasonable :wink:

I don't see an issue with asking it, if he can answer it he can, if he can't he can't. :classic: I'm interested to know!

If you look closer, it's actually supported on each end by a black 1x1 upright holder plate as well.

Oh, okay I see them, but it still seems a bit unstable. Guess we'll have to wait for a review. :classic:

I really enjoyed reading your post Jamie Berard, well all of them, behind the scenes with LEGO is awesome :laugh:

The idea book would be cool but as mentioned that would need a tremendous amount of work to accomplish.

I wonder if there will be LEGO set boxes in the store like the ones in the LEGO Truck :laugh: