Sign in to follow this  
Sir Dillon

If TLG Were to Revisit a Castle Faction

Which Theme Would You Want to See Again?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

• Classic Castle
    • Crusaders
    • Black Falcons
    • Black Knights
    • Forestmen/Dark Forest
    • Wolfpack
    • Dragon Masters
    • Royal Knights
    • Fright Knights
    • KKI Lion Knights
    • KKI Bull Knights
    • KKII Jelly Bean Knights
    • KKII Scorpions
    • Other

All the discussion about the future of the current Castle line makes me wonder, if the LEGO Group was to revisit one of their past factions, either as a part of the current Fantasy line or as its replacement, what would you want it to be?

By revisit I don't mean a rerelease of earlier sets, but instead a new range of sets revolving around said faction.

So, what would you want to see? The return of the Black Falcons? Some more Wolfpack sets? Perhaps you'd like to see the Dragon Masters again?

First vote! :grin:

...And Lego may come with some new Forestmen or Dragon Master sets. These factions are outstanding! :sweet:

Just try to put some new heads from recent sets on those bodies, and you will have an amazing combination!

Since I missed most of the Fantasy Era sets, that lol.

Well obviously that doesn't count. I have an old castle minifig pack, 2 forestmen, 1 peasant, 2 black falcons, and 1 crusader. So I guess forestmen or black falcons.

Forestmen/Dark Forest got my vote. :thumbup:

They were perfect sets for landscaping and had great minifigs that are usable as civilians.

My second choice would be Wolfpack since they never got a big chance when they were out, only 3 sets. It would be interesting to see how that faction could evolve.

Black Falcons, Lion Knights and Black Monarchs are all excellent factions but too me they are dependent of each other to be interesting. A re-release of all three of them together would be great.

I voted for Forestmen. I'd love to see how new sets would stack up and what fantasy twist they would come with (if they were to be fantasy).

I would've voted for Dragon Knights, but seeing as how dragons are made these days, I wouldn't want to see 8992309 of those large dragons.

Just try to put some new heads from recent sets on those bodies, and you will have an amazing combination!

True, there are some are very neat combinations you can make through mixing parts from older and newer factions. One that comes to mind is using the Crown Knights' silver armour on Black Falcons or Crusaders. (example)

Forestmen and Wolfpack were always cool, but I voted Fright Knights.

Interesting choice! I don't care for the Fright Knights, primarily because I feel the sets were poorly designed. The line's premise was fine though, and it would be neat to see what it would look like if it were reinvented.

As much as I would love to see a return of Forestmen, I would love some new Ninja sets even more. It brought some great new pieces into the Lego world, and the sets overall were pretty well designed for the standards as of then.

I'm pretty surprised to see the Forestmen/Dark Forest as the runaway vote leader so far. I thought for sure that the Black Falcons or Black Knights would get the most votes. The Forestmen were slightly ahead of my time, but I did get all three of the Dark Forest sets and I thought they were pretty good, although they never did seem to be too popular. I wouldn't mind seeing another forest based castle theme.

I'm pretty surprised to see the Forestmen/Dark Forest as the runaway vote leader so far. I thought for sure that the Black Falcons or Black Knights would get the most votes.

It could be because Black Falcons and the Black Knights are relatively similar to the current Crown Knights, and therefore a new line of sets from those themes might be close to what we already have with a different colour scheme. Forestmen, on the other hand, would bring a completely different setting and feel.

This could be a relevant topic, with TLG reviving themes in recent years and subtly or not-so-subtly building on/copying from older sets. I see chances of this being picked up by TLG. I would be fine with any classic (80s/early 90s) faction being revived. I think its time they drop the fantasy element for a while and focus on medieval life and a bit more realistic castles.

My first dream faction revival would be Forestmen. Because I think they have a sense of an enigma surrounding them, and as Etzel points out they can be used as Civilians, and the sets would contain Foliage and usefull parts for Landscape. I think a revival of this theme, with the increased design and expectations of a 21st century Lego set, would be very interesting.

A close second would be Wolfpack, again for me they have a sense of enigma, and I find them interesting. Although I can see the problem of them needing another Human Faction to fight, which may be a problem for Lego.

I would be happy to see any of the classic 80's factions revisited, and I don't mind a Fantasy Element (as long as it does take over to be the dominant element of the series). As I am not interested in building an Army, I would be more than happy to see the Castle theme evolve again and be presented with a new palette of MiniFigs.

I think its time they drop the fantasy element for a while and focus on medieval life and a bit more realistic castles.

I do agree with this, but I do not think we would ever see a focus on Medieval Life. I would love to see a theme like this develop, but I think maybe the Fantasy Element is needed now to keep the Kids interested.

I am still in shock over MMV, an absorbing building expierence, lovely to look at, filled full of usefull small parts, and in my opinion a bargain price for them. Maybe one day I hope we might see another set like this, aimed at Adults/ Older Kids, which is based on Civilian Life.

I do agree with this, but I do not think we would ever see a focus on Medieval Life. I would love to see a theme like this develop, but I think maybe the Fantasy Element is needed now to keep the Kids interested.

I meant to add this. I also think the fantasy element is here to stay. But maybe something like forest men could be the 'fantasy element' for a while. TLG seems to want to strike a balance between what kids and AFOLs like in some recent themes, e.g. including more 'civilian' sets in City and including double-sided torsos and rare colors in Pirates.

Edited by Rick

That's a great and very interesting topic, Sir Dillon! :thumbup:

It was very hard to vote for only one option since all Castle sets til 2000 were imo great.

But the most I want to see a comeback of the

Forestmen :wub:

I see a great opportunity in this theme if TLG came back with it. There could be stuff included for everyone's taste: vehicles, catapults, castles, big trees, animals and a lot of different minifigures.

Do only think about how great a set would be that included a carriage with a princess, a coachman and a soldier driving in between two big brick-built trees and three forestmen coming down from the trees, attacking the carriage and taking away the treasure and the princess. :wub:

The Forestmen theme from the early 90s was great - but the buildings were partly too small and interior really lacked. So now TLG could really give us some awesome tree huts and carriages.

Plus the forestmen could/would necessarily include some regular knights, too, since the forestmen must have someone to attack.

And did you even think about that even the knights could attack the forestmen's village?

So plenty of playability plus a fabulous landscape with many brick-built trees and rocks. :thumbup:

This could be a relevant topic, with TLG reviving themes in recent years and subtly or not-so-subtly building on/copying from older sets. I see chances of this being picked up by TLG. I would be fine with any classic (80s/early 90s) faction being revived. I think its time they drop the fantasy element for a while and focus on medieval life and a bit more realistic castles.

I totally agree with you, Rick!

There has been enough fantasy in the Castle theme in the last years.

Even if a medieval theme is not possible since it would perhaps not be that interesting for many kids TLG could/should at least release more non-fantasy and realistic looking Castle sets.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

True, there are some are very neat combinations you can make through mixing parts from older and newer factions. One that comes to mind is using the Crown Knights' silver armour on Black Falcons or Crusaders. (example)

Here's a combination I tried with an older bodie and a crownie helmet, head, legs and sword:

Bowman

difficult choice to make. My first thought was the forestmen, but then again, what could be added without taking the mystery around these men away? Carts, catapults, houses al these are strange for them. I like the way they are now! Change them could make the theme less mysterious. (same goes for the wolfpack)

IMO the Royal knight were never really expanded. Ok, we have a castle, a Catapult, a draw bridge and the kings carriage, but I suppose there could me a lot more.

As they are "civilized" there could be a town (market, mill, houses, etc) or something like that. So I choose the royal knight, just for the possibilities of expanding

I voted Forestmen. They were so cool, and I totally missed them.

And if there was a poll about what theme NOT to revisit, that would be KKI (musch worst than KKII, imho).

With my avatar isn't that a difficult question.

Forestmen ofcourse (and Women also)

Although I like the Crown faction of this moment, I would a sort of Black falcons if they stopped with them

Why that would be Classic Castle - what else?

I just love the yellow castle and king's tournament.

A new version / update of those two would be great.

Plus the old torso designs were iconic :wub:

Bring back Classic Castle as legends or in 2009 updated versions - please :cry_sad:

And may I add that Forestmen and Dark Forest are NOT the same thing.

Here's a combination I tried with an older bodie and a crownie helmet, head, legs and sword:

Bowman

That shield choice is also good. Some of the coats of arms from the KKII theme were very nice looking.

And if there was a poll about what theme NOT to revisit, that would be KKI (musch worst than KKII, imho).

I'm curious as to why you feel that way about the theme? The sets weren't fantastic and were generally overpriced, but the lion soldiers in particular were quite good looking, and I like the tan highlights used on the buildings. Some better designed sets from the theme could be very cool.

And may I add that Forestmen and Dark Forest are NOT the same thing.

True, but the Dark Forest was basically a retooling of the Forestmen theme, so I think that a another range of sets from either line today would look basically the same. It therefore made sense to me to group the two together in this poll.

True, but the Dark Forest was basically a retooling of the Forestmen theme, so I think that a another range of sets from either line today would look basically the same. It therefore made sense to me to group the two together in this poll.

Touché :laugh:

I'll agree to that and accept that wise call Sire!

Just as Wout mentioned, and many others, I feel the strongest attachment to Forestmen, nothing cooler than getting a posse together and heading out into the woods to rob fron the rich and give to the poor. I love the possibilities that surround "roughing it" in medieval life and not paying taxes to the kingdom.

Surely with the end of the current line, perhaps TLC could release a Forestmen 10000 exclusive for AFOLS, something like a treehouse forest base. To me this would offer a chance to relive the nostalgia for AFOL's without the need to relaunch a whole line that needs to go through child-based market research etc. I think the success of 10193 has shown the appeal of an exclusive set of this nature to TLC, and would love to see one set a year focusing on classic themes. The excitement and expectation of wondering if next year will bring a new Falcon Castle or Dragon Knight set would continue the castle themes moving forward for years to come.

Lets be realistic here. Mikey has raised the point well. Theoretically speaking as far as the Castle theme for wide release is concerned, this topic should only consist of answer from children between 6-13, as this is what will determine whether TLC will release a new Castle line, probably the best AFOL's can hope for is to slightly influence the new chosen theme.

I am still in shock over MMV, an absorbing building expierence, lovely to look at, filled full of usefull small parts, and in my opinion a bargain price for them. Maybe one day I hope we might see another set like this, aimed at Adults/ Older Kids, which is based on Civilian Life.

Here here. I'm sure that TLC has done well with this exclusive set, I have no idea what the sales figures would be for MMV (10193) but it is still listed in the top 10 selling Australian sets, as well as in the top 25 of UK and US. So the set is still going well, just look at the multiples of this set that some AFOL's have purchased.

Apparently when Steve Witt mentioned at Brickworld 2009 that there would be no elves, every person in the room was saddened, so who knows, they may pay attention to the cries of AFOL's eventually.

I hope the Medieval line continues in some shape or form in the future, who knows what form it will take, time will tell.

Like a lot of everyone else, it's Forestmen for me. For one, I'll finally be able to make a moc of me dunking Hinckley's head down the toilet without obscuring practically the whole fig :grin: And for two, they were really a great theme with awesome pieces and I love those hats, even though I never got one!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Surely with the end of the current line, perhaps TLC could release a Forestmen 10000 exclusive for AFOLS, something like a treehouse forest base. To me this would offer a chance to relive the nostalgia for AFOL's without the need to relaunch a whole line that needs to go through child-based market research etc. I think the success of 10193 has shown the appeal of an exclusive set of this nature to TLC, and would love to see one set a year focusing on classic themes.

I really think this might be a viable product line for Lego. We might not see the Forestmen for a few years, but if such Mature Targeted Sets, such as MMV, the Redcoat Ship, Modular Buildings, prove to make Lego a profit I am quite sure they would pursue these concepts. Your statistics of the sales of MMV really gives me hope that they will see a need to continue to create a few Mature sets each year. And to tie this in with the Nostalgia Factor of a revival of retired themes, which the Adult collectors hold close to their heart, seems a perfect combination.

Even if we would only see one amazing exclusive set a year, that would be perfect for me (I doubt I could afford more than one per year anyhow!).