RoodakaHK

Bionicle-2010?

yeah, i was thinking we could have an altnernate storyline for these guys kind of like the throwbots vs slizers but instead of north america vs europe, have it little kids vs older fans. we could continue the bionicle story through these sets or just have an alternate story. it is true though that Greg doesn't want to deal with sets and they might not be compatible as bionicle so the latter is more possible. the problem is i don't think enough people will care to get into this alternate storyline.

the best idea would to have alternate models for the hero factory sets that will be the bionicle charcters. this would give us fans of bionicle a reason to buy these HF sets. Greg will probably still wan't to stay from sets though. we will have to wait and see how compatible these sets are.

I think the sets are compatible with BIONICLE- Bink said so on BZP, and even then, it makes no sense for LEGO to make a new system that isn't compatible with their other brands.

I think the sets are compatible with BIONICLE- Bink said so on BZP, and even then, it makes no sense for LEGO to make a new system that isn't compatible with their other brands.

mm...Galidor?

The new sets will be compatible, but expect some changes to the fundamentals in the future

mm...Galidor?

Galidor parts can be used with other parts, it just doesn't always look good. However, Galidor was an attempt to create a new system; action figures that could swap limbs. Not the usual constructible figures. Besides, we already know it's going to be similar to BIONICLE.

when i eant compatible, i maean how the sets look as sets. if they look like they could fit in to the bionicle world. example ben 10 sets wouldn't work with the bionicle storyline because while they have some compatable peaces they don't look right as something in bionicle. the hf sets wouldn't work if they had human faces and such. most likeley the will look just like bionicle sets.

Not related to the current issue you guys are discussing in this topic, but Greg just posted a whole bunch of info relating to the Bionicle 2001 storyline bible in this BZP topic. And I'm really glad too, because it finally smashes the myth that Bionicle was ruined by Greg's supposed overcomplications, and that it wouldn't have gotten so complex if Bob Thompson had stayed in charge. I've been saying for years that Greg wasn't totally responsible for the drastic change in style like some here thought he was, and this confirms that belief. :wink:

Wow, that stuff is all really useful. Awesome to know Makuta was always planned to win. ^,,^

This also gives me another reason to justify my hate of '05 xD

Edited by ShaddowCroc

Wow, that stuff is all really useful. Awesome to know Makuta was always planned to win. ^,,^

This also gives me another reason to justify my hate of '05 xD

This.

Nice info. I would have loved to see Inika/Mahri-Phantoka. :P

-Mesonak

I'm loving these answers myself. Some of it we had already heard, but there was no resource compiling it. BioSector01's "BIONICLE" article would be a good place for it if that page weren't an untouchable pile of rubbish. :hmpf_bad:

It's most intriguing for me what wasn't planned from the start. For instance, the Toa Hordika not being planned is an interesting note, and while I kind of feel it was a letdown (the story was chaos, and that "In Metru Nui" at the beginning of the commercials became really grating after two years of it), I have to admit that 2004's story might not have stood on its own-- not enough character development, IMO. But I wonder, if 2005 weren't planned might 2004 have been written differently? What an enigma...

Still, it's nice to see the skeleton the story was built around.

I agree. They were hints for MU = MM since 01 but some of the other stuff is crazy. The Brotherhood from the begining really shocked me!

Perhaps they could have taken the 2004 storyline and expanded it into two years, with the fight against the Morbuzahk ending 2004 and the showdown against Makuta ending 2005. That would give room for a lot more character development, although how they would accomplish this is beyond my comprehension. :sceptic:

Then again, 2005's real failure wasn't that the ideas were bad - it's just that they were never fully meshed together well. The main problems for me were that the Toa Hordika had far too many tasks to accomplish (building airships, searching for the mask of Life, searching for Keetongu, defeating Sidorak and the Visorak Horde, capturing Visorak towers, etc), and that there was no real obvious timeline which all of these things took place in. Whereas in 2004 there was a clear path through the comics and books, 2005 just had all sorts of events taking place without any sense of what came first and what came later.

Of course, Vakama being the Toa to turn bad didn't help the situation either - really, this is one thing we probably can all agree Greg was right on. Matau would have made a better traitor, as his only reason for being a Toa in the first place was so that he could have fun and be honored for it. When he didn't get either of those things, his obvious path would have been to turn bad - but nooo, the movie-making executives had to have the leader of the Toa be the bad guy, just because he's the leader. :hmpf:

Edited by Grevious

Of course, Vakama being the Toa to turn bad didn't help the situation either - really, this is one thing we probably can all agree Greg was right on. Matau would have made a better traitor, as his only reason for being a Toa in the first place was so that he could have fun and be honored for it. When he didn't get either of those things, his obvious path would have been to turn bad - but nooo, the movie-making executives had to have the leader of the Toa be the bad guy, just because he's the leader. :hmpf:

But I did like that fight between Matau and Vakama. That was good, and to be honest, I really did think it made more sense.

But I did like that fight between Matau and Vakama. That was good, and to be honest, I really did think it made more sense.

Yes, that fight was good. But it would've worked better if Matau was the traitor.

Yes, that fight was good. But it would've worked better if Matau was the traitor.

Nevertheless, I like the whole traitor incident the way it played out. Even if 2004 story would have hinted at Matau being the one to turn, Greg did a magnificent job of justifying the reason Vakama went bad (a combination of guilt over Lhikan's death, feelings of inadequacy as a leader and as Lhikan's successor, and frustrations with his team). Even better was the fact that this change was gradual, and even later on Vakama was frightened of what he had become, what path he had chosen. I'd love to read a fan-fiction illustrating how it could have played out, because while it should make more sense I still can't quite grasp how it might have been effectively handled.

Nevertheless, I like the whole traitor incident the way it played out. Even if 2004 story would have hinted at Matau being the one to turn, Greg did a magnificent job of justifying the reason Vakama went bad (a combination of guilt over Lhikan's death, feelings of inadequacy as a leader and as Lhikan's successor, and frustrations with his team). Even better was the fact that this change was gradual, and even later on Vakama was frightened of what he had become, what path he had chosen. I'd love to read a fan-fiction illustrating how it could have played out, because while it should make more sense I still can't quite grasp how it might have been effectively handled.

I agree, and on the same note, he did a good job of justifying why Matau stayed good.

But not that Bionicle's coming to a close, what are you guys' favorite years? I really liked 2006 :classic:

I agree, and on the same note, he did a good job of justifying why Matau stayed good.

But not that Bionicle's coming to a close, what are you guys' favorite years? I really liked 2006 :classic:

Mine was 2007. First year with non-clone canister sets, creepy villains, Matoro's epic death,......, Gadunka. :tongue:

OK, maybe not Gadunka.

2008. The sets were good, we got the Nuva back, and the story revealed the MN robot.

We should make this into a new topic though, and not spam this one up. :grin:

Bricklink got the new Hau mask confused with the old one, though they haven't created a new part.

Tahu Stars on Bricklink

They even have the picture right for the red Hau, but now there is no way to tell the difference without asking individual sellers. :hmpf:

Bricklink got the new Hau mask confused with the old one, though they haven't created a new part.

Tahu Stars on Bricklink

Bricklink gets stuff wrong on BIONICLE all the time. For instance, they list Ehlek's head as lime rather than as a trans. green and solid yellow blend, and list Carapar's parts as marbled black rather than marbled trans. black. To sum up, I hardly ever see a blended piece labeled correctly on Bricklink. Can't remember the last time I saw them mess up with labeling an actual part rather than just a color or blend, though.

Bricklink gets stuff wrong on BIONICLE all the time. For instance, they list Ehlek's head as lime rather than as a trans. green and solid yellow blend, and list Carapar's parts as marbled black rather than marbled trans. black. To sum up, I hardly ever see a blended piece labeled correctly on Bricklink. Can't remember the last time I saw them mess up with labeling an actual part rather than just a color or blend, though.

It is really difficult to label a color when it is blended. And Trans on Bricklink is Transparent. Carapar and Ehlek armor pieces are not transparent, they are translucent, almost opaque.

Besides Bricklink's color coding isn't official, it is just how they sort out pieces.

-Omi

It happened a lot with the Phantoka and mini-me Avtoran masks.

===

I now have four of the six Stars... a few thoughts on them for those considering purchasing them...

Piraka: Nice little set. The face is similar enough to Vezok's to be a remake, but unique enough to be that of Nektann. In terms of MOCing parts, this guy isn't so great. The feet and body you probably have a bazillion of already. The limbs are in a new color, but I don't see those on MOCs very much. The Golden Armor piece is cool, I can see it being useful. The head also has a lot of nice connections and some personality. If you're a collector/displayer, Piraka looks very cool indeed. If you want a Stars for parts only, pass him up.

Takanuva: Looks pretty cool, I guess. Quite bland on the whole. Mask looks very out of place being silver. I get why they didn't use gold, I'm okay with that, but they had to recolor the mask anyway, why not make it white? Regardless, a decent set for pieces of for just setting on the shelf. The new feet are fantastic and he comes with a couple of those new armor pieces, one white, one gold. White Nuva shoulders only came in a hockey set before this, methinks, so the pieces were pretty rare before now. The Avtoran head looks awful, but I'll get over it, I guess. The mask just isn't long enough...

Tahu: Bland. Poorly organized colors. Pass him up unless you want nostalgia (but then why not just buy the original Tahu for the same price off Bricklink, or something?) or if you like to MOC. Lots of nice parts in this set. Two red armor pieces, an orange armor piece, recolored firesword, feet, and two Hau. I find Tahu looks much better if you take off his should armor pieces (they just weren't made to be shoulder armor, and it shows) and make his chest plate red. Makes the colors look much more... I dunno, cohesive. The layers are weird on this set. As is the green head. Orange would be better, methinks, but I haven't tried it out yet. Some black would really help this set as well, as it's all bright colors and it's kind of eye searing. The superbent arms don't work on this guy, IMO. They look fine on Rahkshi and Gresh 'cause the weapons they're holding. But it doesn't look good on Tahu. We know Lego knows this, since they bent his arms on the packaging and all the promo pics. >_>

Speaking of pre-bent limbs, I thought we beat those for canister sets back in '03? Now we have both the Stars and the main line of Hero Factory using pre-bent Avtoran limbs. Way to take a step back in the evolutionary process, Lego.

Gresh: Gresh is my favorite Star. No long head, perfect colors, a healthy amount of recolors and the new armor mold looks nice to boot (I think it would match Vastus rather well). There isn't much I can say about Gresh, except, buy him. Even if you already have the big one, I think minigresh actually looks better. Though I don't have biggresh in hand to compare.

===

What would you guys ideal Stars line-up be? Mine would be...

Tahu Mata (I just wish they did him better...)

Rahkshi (yellow)

Zaktan (since they never revealed Nektann's element before the set came out, they could just call the Zaktan Star Nektann. Zaktan was just so much cooler, not to mention more important, than Vezok.)

Hahli Mahri (we need a female in this group. And Hahli is awesome.)

Takanuva (with a white mask. Takanuva is probably the most important individual in the Bionicle saga, except perhaps Mata Nui. Perhaps.)

Dunno about slot six. It'd be the black set. Maybe Skrall. Maybe Oohnorak (sp?). I like the Gresh set a lot, but it seems strange to reintroduce him so soon. Especially since Skrall is also included. I wouldn't include Skrall at all in my dream Stars lineup but for the fact that 2010 will be on Bara Magna, and it makes sense to have the Skrall come back as villains.

Edited by Bundalings