Peppermint_M

Post about Cartoons and Anime you like

Millenium Actress, now there is a film to watch. It is amazing. Satoshi Kon was a genius.

If you like Satoshi Kon, Tokyo Godfathers is a must. It's such an interesting film, and an excellent Christmas movie to boot. It hasn't been dubbed in english, but if you can find a subbed copy or stream, watch it. You won't be disappointed.

Alright, so I finished Xam'd: Lost Memories.

From what I gathered it's an often overlooked anime, but it was actually very good. It was almost cinematic where I could easily have seen this being a movie. Got some serious Ghibli vibes off of it. I watched it dubbed, and... It wasn't the best dub I've heard. The voices of the main characters were great, but several minor characters along with children and old folks were pretty poor. Not a deal breaker, though. I advise watching it dubbed simply because the story is super confusing and it'd probably be easier to understand if you don't have to read.

Speaking of story, I love stories that drop you in a world and don't explain anything causing you to figure things out as it progresses, and this anime was exactly that. I can't say I understood everything by the time the show was over, but it was still a fun ride.

So if that sounds like your sort of thing, definitely give it a go. I give it a 4/5.

Howel's Moving Castle was pretty but if you read the book all you can see is how rubbish the film is. (A straight up adaptation would have been awesome.) I find most of the Ghibli films meander around looking great with some messages waved at you and then a stop not an ending. The Cat Returns is good, Nausica, Porco Rosso and Laputa are too, but everything else I don't mind to miss.

Millenium Actress, now there is a film to watch. It is amazing. Satoshi Kon was a genius.

Actually, my two favorite Gibli films are really Spirited Away and Castle in the Sky. Castle in the Sky was actually the first Miyazaki film I saw ages ago and absolutely fell in love with his films at that moment. I wasn't as much a fan of his final film, however. The Wing Rises is a not a bad movie, but its too much of a political message that constantly interrupts the drama and adventure narrative just to say "Post WWII Japan Sucks..." that it really starts to detract from the film.

Alright, so I finished Xam'd: Lost Memories.

From what I gathered it's an often overlooked anime, but it was actually very good. It was almost cinematic where I could easily have seen this being a movie. Got some serious Ghibli vibes off of it. I watched it dubbed, and... It wasn't the best dub I've heard. The voices of the main characters were great, but several minor characters along with children and old folks were pretty poor. Not a deal breaker, though. I advise watching it dubbed simply because the story is super confusing and it'd probably be easier to understand if you don't have to read.

Speaking of story, I love stories that drop you in a world and don't explain anything causing you to figure things out as it progresses, and this anime was exactly that. I can't say I understood everything by the time the show was over, but it was still a fun ride.

So if that sounds like your sort of thing, definitely give it a go. I give it a 4/5.

Xam'd: Lost Memories. has an extraordinary large Ghibli vibe to it. Its pretty much like watching a 14 hour Ghibli film and it really does impress all 14 hours. It also has quite a bit a drama that seriously sucked me in. Over all, it is indeed solid (I rated it a 10 out of 10 on MyAnimeList) and definitely deserves a lot more praise than it gets.

Edited by KoolJBlack

I watched Dead Leaves.

And I say that despite not being entirely sure what I just watched. But I loved every second of it.

50-ish minutes of pure insanity. I think it may rival FLCL in that regard.

I watched Dead Leaves.

And I say that despite not being entirely sure what I just watched. But I loved every second of it.

50-ish minutes of pure insanity. I think it may rival FLCL in that regard.

Dead Leaves is good indeed!

With the arrival of a certain Ninjago contest, I was wondering if anyone could suggest some manga featuring a(or plural) strongly written tsundere character(/s)?

Angel Beats, Sands of destruction, Claymore, Fate/Stay night.

The best written tsundere I've seen so far is Asuka Langley Soryu in Neon Genesis Evangelion (although she doesn't enter until around episode 7). Like with any other character in NGE, her background and motives are explored thoroughly, simultaneously deconstructing and justifying her tsundere trope. We're shown just how unbearable a tsundere would be in real life but at the same time we're shown that she's a real person with real depths and real reasons for acting the way she does. This show is very confusing (especially on first viewing), has a lot of symbolism (a lot of it for flavor) and the plot takes a back seat to the characters and is well worth a watch.

Another tsundere character I'd say is written very well is Mein from Akame ga Kill!, she has her depths like Asuka (although they're not written to explain why she's abrasive to the MC, she's just giving him a hard time 'cause he's a newbie and she's generally not a cheery person) and is a very sympathetic character in a setting full of psychotic characters and assassins (although a lot are sympathetic, don't get me wrong, just she's more sympathetic than others). Her tsundere-ness isn't given much focus beyond her highlight episode early on so it just shies away behind her other characteristics. While the show can be a bit harem-y at times, the romance takes a back seat to the action and the drama and the characters make it a joy (and a heartbreak) to watch. Some criticize it for its edginess and its rushed anime-only ending (since the manga is still running), but I'd recommend either the anime or the manga wholeheartedly.

If you're into comedy, I recommend Yuyushiki. d: Wished they made a season 2. ;-;

Shows I have watched recently :

D-Frag, Funny

Majestic Prince, good show, great mech space battles

A Certain Magical Index season 1, all around good show

Jin-Roh the wolf brigade, didn't like the ending

I am currently watching, A Certain Scientific Railgun.

Well, Phineas and Ferb series finale is tonight at nine on Disney XD. Get ready to say goodbye to one of the greatest animated shows ever made.

I've introduced my son to Ulysses 31.....and he's singing the tune every day now. :D

downloads.jpg

Edited by Jedi-Bendu

Okay, I don't shout it from the rooftops but I like Friendship is Magic. AND, omygosh the latest episode is the BEST EPISODE in ages upon ages.

As you were.

Okay, I don't shout it from the rooftops but I like Friendship is Magic. AND, omygosh the latest episode is the BEST EPISODE in ages upon ages.

As you were.

Yeah, I also thought it was a lot of fun. And in spite of all the silliness they even managed to work in a nice, poignant friendship lesson at the end. It was a great little love letter from the creators to the fans who have supported them for the past 99 episodes.

I wouldn't call it the best episode in ages upon ages, though. Season four had a lot of winners, and I loved "Twilight's Kingdom". Though I guess that WAS over a year ago (yikes)!

Yeah, I'm going to hop onto the episode 100 love bandwagon and ride it until it dies. Which will probably be never.

So yeah, that whole episode was insane. The Big Lebowski references had me in stitches, including The Dude and Walter's Cutie Marks, The Dude holding a White Russian, and Walter bringing a coffee can with him to the wedding.

I wonder how the target demographic for this show reacted to this episode. :laugh:

The 100th episode was terrible.

Said no one ever. I loved it. Though I feel sorry for all the folks who aren't in the loop and missed out on all the references/jokes for the fans.

Also, did anyone else catch that split-second scene of all those guys wearing those creepy horse masks? It was when Octavia and DJ-PON3 and everyone else tripped on the Twilight staff and right before Gummy's monologue. It was disturbing.

One of my favorite shows from the Spring season has definitely been My Love Story. I'm not usually big into super cutesy anime but this show is super adorable and funny to boot. Absolutely love it. But on the flip side, I'm really not a fan of Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. I've never seen the original Fate/Stay Night, since I haven't heard very good things, but I decided to give this show a shot because I loved Fate/Zero. Unfortunately it's done nothing but disappoint and anger me. Shirou is arguably the most boring, blank slate character I've ever seen (apart from Kirito from SAO). The story is convoluted and messy, with no clear through-line. Also really disappointed with how the writers have handled Saber in this show, effectively making her a damsel and not letting her get in on the action. Ugh. Sorry for the mini rant, but talking about anime always gets me excited :blush:

Yeah, that 100th episode was certainly something. I wasn't sure what the hay I was watching half the time, but I loved it. :laugh: It's hilarious when this show goes insane like this and all the nods to the fandom (which pretty much comprise the entire episode) were great. But yeah, I also have to wonder what the target demographic and their parents must have been thinking during this episode. :grin:

I also loved it (oh, hey everyone; here's my first post in this thread!). Yes, I'm also a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and I was tickled by this episode, especially

Octavia and Vinyl being canonically established as sharing a domicile, and also finally getting to hear Octavia speak

King Arthur's Disasters is on the (UK at least) Netflix. It is a real hoot, I miss cartoons like this.

I've introduced my son to Ulysses 31.....and he's singing the tune every day now. :D

downloads.jpg

When I was a kid, I thought that guy was Jesus Christ.

Like "The Adventures of Jesus in the Future" or something :blush:

If anyone has heard of it, I love the anime Death Note that was released a few years back. It handles a lot of morality issues that is rare for anime...

I also love Death Note. If you want another anime with gray vs. grey morality, I recommend Shiki. It's about vampires but it's not a shoujo vampire romance series, it is vampires played very much for horror. It takes a while to establish gray vs. grey (first one side is portrayed as innocent but then the waters are muddied). I definitely consider it worth watching. Another anime that has morality in question a lot is Parasyte, but not quite to the extent of Death Note. An anime I haven't seen yet but I've heard is very much like Death Note is Code Geass. From my friend's recommendation, it sounds really good and very riveting, like Death Note.

Last anime I watched was Girls und Panzer. Goofy, innocent moe fluff with WWII tanks. It was fun. :tongue:

I'm sitting through Great Teacher Onizuka, and it's alright. The Vice-Principal is my new husbando, what with his Crezna. :laugh: I can see why people enjoy it, but I'm having trouble focusing on it at times. I mean, sometimes it's ridiculous to a point I can't keep my eyes off it, but others I find it hard to not do something else. I'm going to try and get back into it, though, since I do enjoy most of the characters.

That and I watched a bit of Star vs. The Forces of Evil. Star is my new favourite Disney Princess. :grin: It's a raucously humorous little show with a surprising amount of bite and a good amount of continuity. Colour me impress, but this is a show I may have to keep up with. :thumbup: