Clone Commander

Official Lego Military/War sets?

LEGO has a no violence policy. While more recent themes (Wild West, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Exo Force) have had modern war elements, an actual World War theme is out of the question. The great wars are not something that has become fantasy. Wild West has been romanticized. Star Wars is science fiction. Indiana Jones is a pulp action movie. But World War One and Two? There is nothing fantastic in thousands of soldiers being mowed down as they go over the top. The closest thing to those sets you'll see any time soon are the fighter plane models and Indiana Jones.

LEGO has a no violence policy. While more recent themes (Wild West, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Exo Force) have had modern war elements, an actual World War theme is out of the question. The great wars are not something that has become fantasy. Wild West has been romanticized. Star Wars is science fiction. Indiana Jones is a pulp action movie. But World War One and Two? There is nothing fantastic in thousands of soldiers being mowed down as they go over the top. The closest thing to those sets you'll see any time soon are the fighter plane models and Indiana Jones.

I feel the exact same way. After visiting the WWII memorial in Hiroshima less than three weeks ago, I feel more than ever there is nothing glorious and exciting about the tragedies of those wars. If TLC were to choose this theme, they'd ruin their image drastically.

Indeed! I've merged these so people don't feel the need to repeat themselves.

Thanks, Siegfried. :classic:

Anyway, I'm still against war sets. :laugh:

LEGO has a no violence policy.

--> Don't you think they walking on a thin line with their "no violence policy" ? Because almost every theme is about good and bad... so if a little kid plays with it, violence is present. Or do you think the bad guy survives at the end ?

While more recent themes (Wild West, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Exo Force) have had modern war elements, an actual World War theme is out of the question.

--> I agree on this,... we'll know the reaction of TLC on the Polish artist Zbigniew Libera.

The great wars are not something that has become fantasy. Wild West has been romanticized. Star Wars is science fiction. Indiana Jones is a pulp action movie. But World War One and Two?

--> Where do you draw the line then... if it's romanticized or fantasy ?

--> IMO violence is violence.

There is nothing fantastic in thousands of soldiers being mowed down as they go over the top. The closest thing to those sets you'll see any time soon are the fighter plane models and Indiana Jones.

--> Just a question... what do you think of Castle and Pirates ?

--> I just ask this because in the Medieval times thousand soldiers & knights are killed on the battlefields and in the Age of sail thousand slaves and soldiers died.

--> For example in the battle of Waterloo,... the British, Belgians, Dutch and Germans lost 15,000 casualties or 1 in 4 engaged. The Prussians lost 7,000. The casualties of the French army are estimated at 25,000 dead and wounded.

--> So what's at the end of the line the difference... nothing. The only difference is that WWI & II are wars that still lie fresh in our memory and it was a real global war. But like I said before, violence is violence... in the past, today or tomorrow.

The chances lego will make military sets are slim. All you need is decal makers like Cap'n Blackmoor and Hound Knight and Woody64, Brickforge, Brickarms making custom hats and weapons, and your issues are solved.

The Knights and Pirates are a romantacised fantasy version of events making it unreal, a fun game for children to play.

They may get "killed" but five minutes later the combatants are up and running around again.

Exo-Force was against malfunctioning robots and not one human was even hinted to be killed, the fantasy element of the giant robots made it unreal.

Agents doesn't have to be violent. They have guns, but so do many law enforcement agencies. The Agents are supposed to be bringing in larger than life fantasy baddies.

Star Wars is unreal

Indiana Jones has soldiers but in the context of the film, hunting down mystical treasures and trying to beat our hero, not waging war.

The World Wars were terrible events, not a game. Children play war, but Lego isn't going to make war toys.

I repeat the others: If you want war, buy a pile of parts (Dark Green, sand green, tan and dark tan are all there) buy a bunch of Indy sets and fetch a pile of rifles. Then all you need to do is get a cheap Best-Lock/Cobi army set and equip your guys.

The Knights and Pirates are a romantacised fantasy version of events making it unreal, a fun game for children to play.

--> Don't get me wrong Peppermint_M' and I understand what you're saying (or others).

--> But don't forget that the Middle Ages encompass one of the most exciting and bloodthirsty periods in English and European History (11th century untill 15th century). So IMO I see no diff. in the violence between a Medieval battle and a WW battle (only with different wapeons). If you read about the Hundred Years War between England and France, the Wars of the Roses or the Battle of Bosworth Field... I wouldn't like to be there.

--> But I think it al depends how far a certain periode is in the past. At this moment the middle ages are far far away for the present and nobody really knows what brutal time this really was. So we fantasise & romantisise it.

--> Maybe when we're in 4222 we fantasise & romantisise a WW ??? In fact we already romantisise it... see the old movies... it's full of heroes (certainly the WWII movies and to name one; Kelly's Heroes).

They may get "killed" but five minutes later the combatants are up and running around again.

--> That's the same if the play with soldiers (Axis vs Allies).

Exo-Force was against malfunctioning robots and not one human was even hinted to be killed, the fantasy element of the giant robots made it unreal. Agents doesn't have to be violent. They have guns, but so do many law enforcement agencies. The Agents are supposed to be bringing in larger than life fantasy baddies.

--> Like you said - doesn't have to be violent. But it will be for 90% always a game of good vs bad. So in away violence will always be present... fantasy or not.

Star Wars is unreal. Indiana Jones has soldiers but in the context of the film, hunting down mystical treasures and trying to beat our hero, not waging war.

--> I agree on this, but again is good vs bad... and violence is around the corner.

The World Wars were terrible events, not a game.

--> Also the wars in the middle ages or whatever period. I can't think of a war that was fun.

Children play war, but Lego isn't going to make war toys.

--> Of course TLC will never release WW sets... I only want to say that they walking a thin line. Because for me violence is violence (fantasy or not).

I repeat the others: If you want war, buy a pile of parts (Dark Green, sand green, tan and dark tan are all there) buy a bunch of Indy sets and fetch a pile of rifles. Then all you need to do is get a cheap Best-Lock/Cobi army set and equip your guys.

--> I agree.

Then what do you tell me about their F-14 and he Harrier they made for creator???

And the army ove here is only a place for poor people that get payed little by doing nothing. Corruption is the word.

^Ah, do you mean F-22 Raptor?

Anyways, yes, no war line of sets. It would shatter recent builder's urge to build military MOCs and that would just be no fun. My only need is that LEGO should mass produce more dark green and tan pieces. Then my problems would be solved. ;-)

P.S. Does anyone know how they managed to build the Sopwith Camel and Red Baron (I think that's right, I may be wrong) a while back? That's directly going against what they're saying in their policy.

Edited by MdrnMrvls

--> Don't you think they walking on a thin line with their "no violence policy" ? Because almost every theme is about good and bad... so if a little kid plays with it, violence is present. Or do you think the bad guy survives at the end ?

I agree, and I think LEGO needs to try to make its way back towards its older 'beauty in creativity' style than the current 'super hyper flick missile launcher mega fun pack' stuff.

Well, medieval Europe didn't have undead armies or magicians. Military campaigns didn't center around kidnapping princesses. Most war in colonial times did not center around pirate islands or stealing treasure. It's been romanticized in that way. Romanticized modern war would be something like Adventurers.

Interesting debate here.

Let's face the facts, humans always have been predators, that's nature. Compare recent world wars with ancient battlefields...

In the end there is no difference at all . Massmurders, wiping out entire civilisations! Violence = nature.

If Lego tells me they're having a no-violence filosophy, I disagree. Basically most themes are based on violence, wars.

I do notice tho there is no man-to-man war but either man-to-creature war except for maybe Pirates.

In that sense you'll never see realistic military nor roman themes. Take the Castle themes, it still is one yet annonymous royal army against a bunch of fantasy living evil skeletons with dragons and orcs feeding trolls that you get and not several entire Kingdoms in war for land nor political wars or crusades. I'm in :wub: with those orcs tho!

Point is, Lego offers a fantastic fantasy world, if you want realism you'll have to make it happen by yourself. Even better, it actually fits Lego's filosophy the best..

I feel like it has been said many times before and will be mentionned again later on :sweet:

--> Like you said - doesn't have to be violent. But it will be for 90% always a game of good vs bad. So in away violence will always be present... fantasy or not.

I think that oversimplifies it. As others have noted, the conflict or violence that is portrayed in Lego's various themes is firmly placed in a context of fantasy, mythology, and make-believe. Kids will latch onto that, and make up stories with good guys and bad guys, and act those stories out. And sure, there will be "violence" in their stories, as the two sides fight against each other, but that's harmless role-playing.

It's also worth noting that in almost all of Lego's conflict-driven themes, the good guys are depicted as arresting and locking up the bad guys. The Space Police, city police, Wild West, Agents, Pirates, etc. all have JAILS. The good guys presumably capture and arrest the bad guys. You couldn't do that with a military theme. Unless you had an Abu Ghraib set, complete with water-boarding feature??

Again, it's all in the context. A military theme is really inappropriate for a children's toy because it glorifies and trvializes current or recent real-world events. The conflict that Lego has in their themes is probably necessary from a marketing point of view (to make it more action-oriented), but I think it's generally pretty harmless. It's a really tough line to walk, but I think TLC does a good job of it.

i once had contact with TLC and they told me:

"LEGO doesn't produce any military or war themes....no violence..."

and thats why they turned down the Clone Wars theme and why there has never been a mini fig gun.....oh wait :tongue:

The difference between olden-time violence and modern day violence is that there is nobody left who was affected by those events. But producing modern military and WWI/II sets would be offensive to the people who have been deeply affected by those events.

Imagine a child had bought a lego, lets say a Japanese POW camp set. And then his war veteren grandfather comes for a visit. Lets say that the grandfather was in a POW camp during the war, and wasn't realesed until the war ended. Now lets say after the dinner, the child says "Grandpa, can I show you my new lego's?" and takes him to his room. How shocked would the grandfather be to see a bunch of little-yellow minifigs being tortured in a big barbed wired camp :sceptic:

Edited by Emperor Claudius Rome

Now this may sound a bit weird coming from me, but I hope Lego doesn't make a military theme. No it's not for that BS "anti-violence" policy. It’s because an army theme would kill off custom army making. Think about it if Lego released a military theme almost everybody would flock to it and purchase multiples of each set to build up “their” army. From then on most armies would basically be the same with each having the same soldiers weapons, and vehicles.

I hope you guys get the jist of what I’m saying.

Now this may sound a bit weird coming from me, but I hope Lego doesn't make a military theme. No it's not for that BS "anti-violence" policy. It’s because an army theme would kill off custom army making. Think about it if Lego released a military theme almost everybody would flock to it and purchase multiples of each set to build up “their” army. From then on most armies would basically be the same with each having the same soldiers weapons, and vehicles.

I hope you guys get the jist of what I’m saying.

I see the jist of it. I can also see an army/military theme greatly impacting Brickarms.

No one is asking for a WWII theme. Just modern military type vehicles like F-22 Raptors, M1 Abram tanks and Humvees. There's nothing wrong with producing these sets.

--> I agree on this,... we'll know the reaction of TLC on the Polish artist Zbigniew Libera.

--> I just ask this because in the Medieval times thousand soldiers & knights are killed on the battlefields and in the Age of sail thousand slaves and soldiers died.

--> For example in the battle of Waterloo,... the British, Belgians, Dutch and Germans lost 15,000 casualties or 1 in 4 engaged. The Prussians lost 7,000. The casualties of the French army are estimated at 25,000 dead and wounded.

--> So what's at the end of the line the difference... nothing. The only difference is that WWI & II are wars that still lie fresh in our memory and it was a real global war. But like I said before, violence is violence... in the past, today or tomorrow.

Excellent, excellent points Captina Kirk! Very well said!

The difference between olden-time violence and modern day violence is that there is nobody left who was affected by those events. But producing modern military and WWI/II sets would be offensive to the people who have been deeply affected by those events.

Completely not true. What do you think happened to these people relatives? There are many people alive that are related to many people that have done some not to nice things in history and to this day are still affected by there relatives past actions. Either way, even if someone was not directly affected by a said outcome/war, does not mean it is now OK (at least in your thinking) to act it out. It is no longer a "fantasy" war. But is still time in history that was filled with blood shed.

Imagine a child had bought a lego, lets say a Japanese POW camp set. And then his war veteren grandfather comes for a visit. Lets say that the grandfather was in a POW camp during the war, and wasn't realesed until the war ended. Now lets say after the dinner, the child says "Grandpa, can I show you my new lego's?" and takes him to his room. How shocked would the grandfather be to see a bunch of little-yellow minifigs being tortured in a big barbed wired camp :sceptic:

This is absolutly ridiculous. No one, at any point was asking to make such sets. Even companies that specialize in military toys don't not glorify POW camps. Com'on now.

But, if we use your line of reasoning, once it becomes a point in time that no one alive that was affected by this, it would then be OK to turn it into toy form? I don't think so.

As far as a war type theme coming about from TLC. It has already happened. Its called Agents. While it might not be modern, it is about a war between good and evil. All the signs are there. It seems every year TLC gets more and more violent in there themes. There so called "No violence" policy does not exist. The evidence is all around you. Its only a matter of time before TLC does the unthinkable....

As far as a war type theme coming about from TLC. It has already happened. Its called Agents. While it might not be modern, it is about a war between good and evil.

You mean Alpha Team? :wink:

I understand what you're saying, though. This military vs. "non-violence" debate seems to be never-ending and circular. But let's face it, the day Lego produced the first actual minifig weapon for a castle set, it's been going down a slippery slope. I don't how other kids played with their knights, but mine certainly were not going to faires or sitting around a table discussing the pros and cons of a monarch government. :classic:

My friends and I are trying to build a Lego military, and I was wondering if you guys would like LEGO to produce a military line for collectors and army builders. I wonder what you guys think?

i think it is a great idea! but i read something that said that we should respect the people who faught for our countries. I made a helecopter- black hawk but it broke and i don't have any pictures :cry_sad:

Thank you capt. Kirk I totally agree with you there are all of these people saying LEGO can't make anything that has to do with violence but

( thankfully) what are they doing right now with pirates, indiana jones, and knights i say we just tell those people to be quiet and start telling LEGO to give there fans what they want. :) :knight:

I feel the exact same way. After visiting the WWII memorial in Hiroshima less than three weeks ago, I feel more than ever there is nothing glorious and exciting about the tragedies of those wars. If TLC were to choose this theme, they'd ruin their image drastically.

There might not be anything glorious about people being mowed down but there is something cool about all military equipment and army's are

pretty cool and little kids will probably ( if there were WW1 and WW2 sets) would always have the good guys win and all the Nazis would be dead. :knight:

Exo-Force was against malfunctioning robots and not one human was even hinted to be killed, the fantasy element of the giant robots made it unreal.

Agents doesn't have to be violent. They have guns, but so do many law enforcement agencies. The Agents are supposed to be bringing in larger than life fantasy baddies.

Star Wars is unreal

Indiana Jones has soldiers but in the context of the film, hunting down mystical treasures and trying to beat our hero, not waging war.

The World Wars were terrible events, not a game. Children play war, but Lego isn't going to make war toys.

You said that in five minutes the combatants are up and running around again do think kids are gonna start chopping the heads off the military minifigs and put ketchup on them to look like blood i dont think so they will be up and running in five minutes. FYI LEGO has made war toys indiana jones had military vehicles and a jet that is Camo. The world wars where terrible events but does that mean you want toy company's to stop making things that have to do with wars i dont think so, and does it matter if kids are playing with a pile of plastic that resembles military theme's i don think so. :hmpf_bad:

Lego is a European company with many European customers. World War II was not that long ago and I doubt that there are many Europeans that have fond memories of it. I am an American living in Italy for a few years. As I travel around Europe and stick my head into toy stores, I notice a distinct lack of military related toys. Lots of police, fire, and racing die cast vehicles, etc. but almost no military items. We can find plenty of violence in the various Lego themes but a military theme -- no way.

I don't agree with this policy at all the men at arms are the people who defend us and drive off people like hitler so

why not make military sets to respect them and those who died? :sadnew:

Well, Finland is one of the few countries in Europe that still has an obligatory army for all men that lasts from 6 to 12 months. (you can choose the 12-month civilian service as an option, though). And all soldiers are considered heroes by their own right here, as well. We haven't been in a war for nearly sixty years, but still many people insist we keep our army big and our defenses high.

And the fear some people have for our neighboring country Russia is inconcievable, it's like they think Russia would just attack us any day now. :hmpf:

You can probably tell that I'm a pacifist, so I don't have much respect for the army-people. It's nice to be defended, but most of the times it's just blown out of proportions by people who are still caught up in their childhood soldier-plays. I can't believe adult people think that the countries of the world can still be divided into "good countries" and "evil countries", when each country has it's own problems!

But now I'm talking politics, which is a no-no here, so I'll shut up. :grin:

I just need to throw something in real fast it's driving me crazy. Pacifists have it totally wrong there against the people who defend them

sounds nice doesn't it? not. The countries of the world definitely can be defined as good or evil. The U.S. is the only good country and

it's on a slippery slope with this new president Barack Obama ( i hate saying that name ) just look at the laws of the countries other then the

U.S. Britain has ruined itself once a Government starts saying you can't even own a firearm anymore something is really messed up

and i will die before i see that happen the the U.S. :knight:

You mean like Indiana Jones? Because those technically have Nazis. But, while I would like a WWII theme, it will never happen. Maybe we could get large scale models of the planes, but I doubt it.

jifel

FYI those aren't Nazis those are Communist's there's a big difference but they both are horrible and stupid groups.

--> Don't get me wrong Peppermint_M' and I understand what you're saying (or others).

--> But don't forget that the Middle Ages encompass one of the most exciting and bloodthirsty periods in English and European History (11th century untill 15th century). So IMO I see no diff. in the violence between a Medieval battle and a WW battle (only with different wapeons). If you read about the Hundred Years War between England and France, the Wars of the Roses or the Battle of Bosworth Field... I wouldn't like to be there.

--> But I think it al depends how far a certain periode is in the past. At this moment the middle ages are far far away for the present and nobody really knows what brutal time this really was. So we fantasise & romantisise it.

--> Maybe when we're in 4222 we fantasise & romantisise a WW ??? In fact we already romantisise it... see the old movies... it's full of heroes (certainly the WWII movies and to name one; Kelly's Heroes).

--> That's the same if the play with soldiers (Axis vs Allies).

--> I agree on this, but again is good vs bad... and violence is around the corner.

--> Also the wars in the middle ages or whatever period. I can't think of a war that was fun.

--> Of course TLC will never release WW sets... I only want to say that they walking a thin line. Because for me violence is violence (fantasy or not).

--> I agree.

um you said that the middle ages where one of the most blood thirsty periods just to let you know the 20th century had more war and deaths then all the other century's combined.

Why in the heck would they make a POW camp they could just make they jets and ships and soldiers with the equipment no POW camps that's absurd :alien:

No one is asking for a WWII theme. Just modern military type vehicles like F-22 Raptors, M1 Abram tanks and Humvees. There's nothing wrong with producing these sets.

Excellent, excellent points Captina Kirk! Very well said!

Completely not true. What do you think happened to these people relatives? There are many people alive that are related to many people that have done some not to nice things in history and to this day are still affected by there relatives past actions. Either way, even if someone was not directly affected by a said outcome/war, does not mean it is now OK (at least in your thinking) to act it out. It is no longer a "fantasy" war. But is still time in history that was filled with blood shed.

This is absolutly ridiculous. No one, at any point was asking to make such sets. Even companies that specialize in military toys don't not glorify POW camps. Com'on now.

But, if we use your line of reasoning, once it becomes a point in time that no one alive that was affected by this, it would then be OK to turn it into toy form? I don't think so.

As far as a war type theme coming about from TLC. It has already happened. Its called Agents. While it might not be modern, it is about a war between good and evil. All the signs are there. It seems every year TLC gets more and more violent in there themes. There so called "No violence" policy does not exist. The evidence is all around you. Its only a matter of time before TLC does the unthinkable....

Thank you 5150 LEGO i don't even know where he would have got the idea for a POW camp that's kind of sick and i would never buy one

if LEGO went so low as to do that it's soo soo absurd.