Sign in to follow this  
JimBee

IJ: River Chase Truck MOC

Hello everyone, I just made a MOC I wanted to share here. It is of the truck that appeared in the river chase scene of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but never actually appeared in the River Chase set. Sorry, I can't find any reference pictures, but if you'll remember, this is the vehicle that Irina Spalko was on for most of the scene, and was sword fighting while riding this, while Mutt Williams was riding the "duck" vehicle.

Without further ado, here it is:

3617628369_d47ceef442.jpg

3617628907_29e259061e.jpg

3618451054_cffc7d69ec.jpg

3617630061_8457d88dbe.jpg

And one without the minifigs:

3617630551_7ba5491069.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments are always welcome. :classic:

Wow, that looks great! One thing though, not a biggy though. If possible, could you get a pic of the actual truck from the movie?

It is exactly how it looks in the movie , except for the pointy front :sceptic: but other than that great job :classic:

Yes, I agree, very well done!

Wait, am I missing something? The only Spalko Jeep I see is this one:

(Click, 2nd at the very top from the left.)

And, if that's supposed to be it, it really looks nothing like it at all in any way shape or form. But since there is so much good feedback, there has to be another jeep, right? :tongue:

Please show me which one that's supposed to be.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :classic:

Darth Legolas, yes, that is the jeep on the right side of the picture. From a different view, I think my MOC would look similar to the actual thing, but I agree Admiral Rodgers that the front is too pointy. In all modesty, I thought the rest was alright, though. Thanks for pointing that out. :classic:

Interesting. Aside from the unbalanced front, this is very well made. I think if you bade just a bit more well roundedm it could be great. Because the front is really killing it for me.

It looks great, but I just think the front wheels should be moved further forward to represent where the axle was on the real car.

Also, if the wheels were moved forward, the front ''fenders'' would then need to be moved upward some, while keeping the same distance between the rubber of the wheels and the fender well.

If that doesn't make sense, I could explain in simpler terms.

EDIT: From looking at it again, the front isn't really too pointy. It just needs the big rounded fenders to make up for it.

Edited by booger540

Hello again, I've upgraded my Indiana Jones: River Chase Truck from IJ: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Here's an edited overall shot:

3791162728_c302d60e59.jpg

Additional shots:

3790351709_6ef8649e93.jpg

3791164072_fc3cbd5bbd_b.jpg

Here's the reference shot again (Thanks to Darth Legolas and theraider.net):

302.jpg

And the alternate beds:

New:

3791165618_9447677fdc.jpg

Original:

3790354285_00a7b8ac2f.jpg

Thanks for looking, and there's more on my Flickr. :classic:

You've created a very interesting vehicle here, but I don't think it looks like either vehicle in the shot. If you're going for the one on the right (and I think you are) then the front wheels need to be moved forward until the wheel wells attach to the bumper. Also missing is the spare tire on the right side and the headlights which are a vital part of the car's appearance. Lastly, it's not an amphibious craft, and doesn't need to have the front raised as such.

If you're going for the vehicle on the left, then you need uniform sides, a flat top, and no front grill.

Personally I like the look of the vehicle you've created, I just don't think it achieves your goal of MOCing the vehicle in the shot.

Much better, the shape is clear, and it's obvious which vehicle you're trying to portray.

Personally I'd edit the first post with new pics, as well as the pictures of V1.

I have issues with the bottom, and the fact that it rises from the back to the front.

If you could add head lights, that'd also be great.

The windshield is also flat, and if you could add a hinge, get rid of the than, but keep the color, I think it'd look better.

I like the mudflaps in the back.

[-TA-]

You've created a very interesting vehicle here, but I don't think it looks like either vehicle in the shot. If you're going for the one on the right (and I think you are) then the front wheels need to be moved forward until the wheel wells attach to the bumper.

Thanks for the constructive feedback, Eilif. :classic: I am trying to recreate the vehicle on the right side of the reference picture, because the other one is the "duck", which is already created into a Lego set (River Chase). I tried to make part of the front section look like it was part of the wheel guard, but now that I look at it, its way too long. I'll try to think of a better solution to making those fancy mud guards when improving this MOC.

Also missing is the spare tire on the right side and the headlights which are a vital part of the car's appearance.

I realized that I was missing the side tire as soon as I was uploading the pictures. :blush: It will be easy to move the back tire to the bottom stair on the right side. As for headlights and rear lights, I attempted to incorporate them into the design, but there wasn't really any place for them at the time. I'll try to add them in my next version.

Lastly, it's not an amphibious craft, and doesn't need to have the front raised as such.

I know, I didn't mean for it to appear that way. I was focused on making the front high enough to reach the windshield. Again, I'll work on improving this next time.

Much better, the shape is clear, and it's obvious which vehicle you're trying to portray.

Personally I'd edit the first post with new pics, as well as the pictures of V1.

Thanks, The Alchemyst. All in due time. :wink:

The windshield is also flat, and if you could add a hinge, get rid of the than, but keep the color, I think it'd look better.

I'm definitely getting rid of the tan pieces, but I'm not sure about adding a hinge to the windshield. In the reference picture, the windshield appears to be at an angle of only about 30 degrees, so adding a hinge wouldn't change much, and complicate the design. Thanks for the suggestion, though, I really appreciate it. :thumbup:

I definately like the new version better! :thumbup:

But seeing the truck from the movie, it also seems like the car from the Raiders Truck Chase set would work too..

Nice work!

While i can appreciate the moc, it looks nothing like the truck used in the movie. The front is to long and pointy. You need to connect the front wheel wells to the bumper and lower it a bit. Then at least it would be more recognizable.

5150 Lego, do you mean the first version that's in the first post? If so, take a look at the new version a few posts down. :wink:

Just a quick update, I've almost completed my third (and final) version of the truck, I just need to add some finishing touches. The reason that it's going to be final is that it uses a lot of pieces from other built sets, and I really want to rebuild my collection after most of it's been destroyed for over a year. I hope this one fits the movie version better.

5150 Lego, do you mean the first version that's in the first post? If so, take a look at the new version a few posts down. :wink:

I saw both versions. Neither looks much like the real thing to me. If you can move the front axle forward that would make a world of difference and would make it much more accurate. Not trying to me mean or bring you down, just some constructive criticism.

I saw both versions. Neither looks much like the real thing to me. If you can move the front axle forward that would make a world of difference and would make it much more accurate. Not trying to me mean or bring you down, just some constructive criticism.

I know, I just wasn't sure if you saw both of them. Thanks, feedback is always appreciated. :thumbup:

Looks good, and very accurate! Nice work. :)

-Nuju Metru

Thanks. :classic:

Update: Version 3

Here is my third and final attempt at the River Chase Truck.

3832260490_bfb5f3d7ce.jpg

I mainly modified the front, but I also added the side wheel and rear lights. No, I didn't add headlights so don't kill me. :tongue: I attempted to, but there wasn't a place for them, and they ruined the look of the front.

More pictures:

3832258540_ae43b1a101.jpg

3831461795_16e0343c3f.jpg

3832254892_cabc03883c.jpg

And a close-up of the front. I'm quite satisfied of the outcome on this part this time.

3831458265_d1c6607ca8.jpg

Again, feedback is welcome and you can see all of the photos on my Flickr, or you can view all three versions on my Flickr set.

Much, much better!

Thank you. :classic:

And I just realized that I forgot to add a 1x1 plate to the inner right slope piece (on the very front, next to the grill). :laugh: I'll add this and retake pictures.