Sign in to follow this  
eti

EBCTC: Village School

My entry for the Classic Town Contest is a village school. The school has a playground and in the back there are two classrooms, a hall, a cafeteria, a kitchen and a toilet. The floors of the classrooms and the cafeteria can be taken out so that it is easier to put minfigs in and out. The MOMC has 14 children, 2 teachers, a bus driver, a crossing guard, a cook and a father. The vehicle is a school bus.

A school, because that's the sort of building the official Lego cities are always missing. I tried to limit myself to colors and building techniques that were available around 1980, and most parts should be from around that time as well. The big change I made compared to the official Classic Town is children - Lego did not have children minfigs, so when I was little, I always made children the way I have done in this MOC. Simple!

I have a whole photoset with detail views on Flickr so you can watch everything up close if you like. But the contest entry consists of these three small images:

3465582340_34aa950901_o.jpg

3464767241_e8f554c600_o.jpg

3464767013_4234045eb5_o.jpg

What a beauty Eti! Great job. :thumbup: This really has the makings of a "top-notch" entry. All have been fantastic so far. I love the overall design reminiscent of the old red train station with the arch over the 2x2 windows, and the clock. The overall design works very well and your interior details are superb. I loving that cypress! And the yellow school bus, just excellent!

BLOGGED!

superb Eti, that's a wonderful creation ! I love the school design^^

Looks like were getting competition here, bring it! I havent started mine yet but it will be GREAT! :thumbup:

Nice Great job :thumbup:

Wonderful MOC, eti, I really like the school interiors and how you gave a nice atmosphere to the display just using primary colours :thumbup:

Eti, you have made my night, a very very lovely one, filled with beautiful nice rendition of your very own Classic Town version. :thumbup:

You have completely grasp the entire Classic Town feeling, and it's simply outstanding and breathtaking, to take on a very unique concept of building a elementary or primary school for the children. From the distinct red schoolhouse structure, with a matching black roof, combined with classic white windows is an awesome combination. What excites me more, is the detailed interior, of having 2 classrooms, filled with students and teachers. While on the upper level, there is a canteen catering for their meals. How thoughtful of you. I believe there is a restroom at the end of the second floor. Effective use of simple bricks elements to illustrate the furniture settings.

At the front of the school, a simple playground is created. The schoolbus concept is very nice indeed. Certainly looks classic enough to be part of an official setup, even though it looks more like those tram concept, due to its open air seating arrangement. Well, that's not something that we should mind, instead I will love to learn from this design.

The entire settings for this Classic Town scene is superb, and remarkable. Oh, there is this rare cypress tree at the right hand corner. :wub:

I enjoyed viewing this entry very much, and it sure heats up competition. By the way, Brickster, that is a very nice blog entry you made. :wink:

Thank you very much!

The bus has open sides because the classic town bus station set 379 (from 1979) has open sides, too.. and the same goes for its predecessor 696 from 1976. Normally I would not make a bus for minifigs 4 wide nor would I give it open sides, but I did both things in this case in order to make it more classictownish.

There is, indeed, a restroom in the school. You can find a detail shot on the Flickr page I linked to in my original post.

Oh the agony of the severed children! :tongue: You could've at least put a 1x2 plate under the torso for "legs" so that the kids wouldn't look so terribly mutilated.

Other than that, this entry is pure greatness! It really has that classic, oldschool (pun intended) feeling to it, and you managed to put in many great details despite the limits in the bricks. :thumbup:

Oh the agony of the severed children! :tongue: You could've at least put a 1x2 plate under the torso for "legs" so that the kids wouldn't look so terribly mutilated.

It's kind of surreal, like they were walking through tarmac :laugh:

Actually, I think it's a clever idea and no less freakish than those home sets from the late 70s featuring the older large figures with normal-sized minifigs pretending to be babies!

Great work, eti!

I don't like the red roof and red walls. I'm having a red overload. And, while I think it looks great, I'm not sure it quite has the classic-town vibe, but its very very close.

Steve

I made it red so that it looks like classic town... first red building I ever made, probably!

That's an awesome entry, eti! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

The interior as well as the exterior of the building is designed perfectly and very realistic! :oh: I really like the many details you included: that old lovely tree, a playground, a school bus, a kitchen and a canteen and two classrooms (although I miss the blackboard (or even newer: the whiteboard :hmpf: ) there).

The only thing I don't like is 1. that the kids have no legs and 2. that your entry is designed in a very minimalistic design - but that's how CC was.

Otherwise it's perfect!

Very, very well done! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter