ACCURATEin

PAB Cups: What Did You Get?

Do either of the Toronto stores have a PaB wall? If they do, do they have a good selection, or is it just basic bricks? What are the dimensions and prices for the various sizes of cups? I've never been to a LEGO store or LEGO land, but hopefully will get to Toronto around Thanksgiving. What I really need for a MOC I'm working on is about 250 each of red and white 1x1 plates. Is it likely that I could find them?

Edited by Sid Sidious

I've been to the Fairview one, but their selection is very basic. All I saw was a wide assortment of 2x? and 1x? bricks in various colours, and wheels and steering wheels. Not that great, especially compared to some walls like NYC Rockefeller. The large cup is $19.99 and the small is $10.99. They are the same size as other cups world wide as far as I can tell.

Do either of the Toronto stores have a PaB wall? If they do, do they have a good selection, or is it just basic bricks? What are the dimensions and prices for the various sizes of cups? I've never been to a LEGO store or LEGO land, but hopefully will get to Toronto around Thanksgiving. What I really need for a MOC I'm working on is about 250 each of red and white 1x1 plates. Is it likely that I could find them?

Since Fairview just opened, their wall is pretty basic. You won't find white or red 1x1 plates on any PaB wall, though.

Since Fairview just opened, their wall is pretty basic. You won't find white or red 1x1 plates on any PaB wall, though.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to pay Bricklink prices or get lucky at a yard sale now. :(

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to pay Bricklink prices or get lucky at a yard sale now. :(

For buying bulk parts, sometimes the online Pick-A-Brick is useful. In this case, there are a number of Bricklink sellers offering large quantities 1x1 plates in white or red for cheaper than the online PAB price (5 cents apiece as opposed to 9 cents apiece). But if you ever need rarer and more specialized parts in bulk, the online PAB can often offer better overall prices than you would find on Bricklink. For this reason it's a good place to check if physical PAB walls don't offer the parts you need but Bricklink prices are too expensive.

For example, 64727 in green (a useful piece for plants or grass at various scales) is available on the online Pick-A-Brick at 13 cents apiece, cheaper than any of the Bricklink lots currently for sale. Seeing as the part has appeared only in two sets in quantities of one or two, I imagine many of the Bricklink sellers got theirs on Pick-A-Brick and are charging higher prices hoping to score a profit with unwary customers!

I understand this probably doesn't help with your current project, but perhaps it will prove useful to you in the future. I hope you can acquire the plates you need without too much difficulty!

By the way, on a subject related to PAB walls, at what stores have Hero Factory parts been seen? I've been to the Potomac Mills store in Virginia and the King of Prussia Mall store in Pennsylvania without any success. I can't remember if we checked the Tyson's Corner store. I don't have any particular projects I'm working on that need those parts, but I had heard some PAB walls would be stocking Hero Factory parts starting this year and have been disappointed not to see any.

Sherway Gardens does have a PaB wall, though I've never seen 1x1 plates there. When I was there last week they did have 1x2 plates in black and 1x2 tiles in lime green, both very useful...

Our local PAB wall has 1x1 red translucent plates, as well as light blue and dark blue translucent 1x1 round plates. Also 1x1 clear translucent cheese slopes. These were great for me since I was stocking up on parts for including water in my MOC's.

Edited by Yucca Patrol

Just discovered there's a PAB wall in John Lewis (Oxford Street):

img00099-20111012-1526.jpg

A very small selection of regular bricks, but the small cups are GBP 4.95 and the large ones GBP 8.95. Not sure if they're the same size as in Lego stores.

Edited by SilentMode

Do any stores other than official TLG branded stores have PAB walls and/or Mini-Fig bars? Only there are no official stores near to where I live and would love to have access to these facilities close at hand. I've tried a Google but got nothing of any use. I am in the south west of the UK if it helps to narrow down a store. I think the nearest Lego store is probably either Cardiff or at Windsor?

For buying bulk parts, sometimes the online Pick-A-Brick is useful. In this case, there are a number of Bricklink sellers offering large quantities 1x1 plates in white or red for cheaper than the online PAB price (5 cents apiece as opposed to 9 cents apiece). But if you ever need rarer and more specialized parts in bulk, the online PAB can often offer better overall prices than you would find on Bricklink. For this reason it's a good place to check if physical PAB walls don't offer the parts you need but Bricklink prices are too expensive.

For example, 64727 in green (a useful piece for plants or grass at various scales) is available on the online Pick-A-Brick at 13 cents apiece, cheaper than any of the Bricklink lots currently for sale. Seeing as the part has appeared only in two sets in quantities of one or two, I imagine many of the Bricklink sellers got theirs on Pick-A-Brick and are charging higher prices hoping to score a profit with unwary customers!

I understand this probably doesn't help with your current project, but perhaps it will prove useful to you in the future. I hope you can acquire the plates you need without too much difficulty!

By the way, on a subject related to PAB walls, at what stores have Hero Factory parts been seen? I've been to the Potomac Mills store in Virginia and the King of Prussia Mall store in Pennsylvania without any success. I can't remember if we checked the Tyson's Corner store. I don't have any particular projects I'm working on that need those parts, but I had heard some PAB walls would be stocking Hero Factory parts starting this year and have been disappointed not to see any.

Thanks for the heads up. I never would have thought to look at the online PaB since their prices are usually high, but I might find some good rare stuff if I need it.

Our local PAB wall has 1x1 red translucent plates, as well as light blue and dark blue translucent 1x1 round plates. Also 1x1 clear translucent cheese slopes. These were great for me since I was stocking up on parts for including water in my MOC's.

Again, you won't find 1x1 red or white plates on the PAB wall. The small pieces tend only to be available in trans colours.

Just discovered there's a PAB wall in John Lewis (Oxford Street):

(pic)

A very small selection of regular bricks, but the small cups are GBP 4.95 and the large ones GBP 8.95. Not sure if they're the same size as in Lego stores.

D'ooohhhh, we walked past that John Lewis last week, seems like it would have been worth checking out. Next time...

I was at the Toronto Sherway Gardens Lego store this past Tuesday and unfortunately no red or white 1X1 plates at the pick a brick wall. Although they did have white 1X1 plates with the pieces sticking out that you can put a round stud on sideways. I don't know what the official name is.

It was my first time going there and the selection was ok but I doubt that I'll ever go in there and they'll have all the pieces I'm looking for. They also had a few pieces that I couldn't really see anyone having a need for many of the same one. I was really careful with how I packed the big cup I got and was there for a good 30 minutes putting common bricks together to maximize the space. The advice I've read on here was a tremendous help and I almost got the equivalent of 2 full cups I'm thinking by being careful. Definitely spend the time putting bricks together instead of just loosely dumping them in. The staff at the store were super friendly and when I asked how anal they are with the lid closing one of the girls working there said not to worry about it because they'll just tape the top down. They also weren't giving me any weird looks or anything for taking so long with the packing. When I was almost done someone came in and asked if they had any brown pieces in the back since they weren't on the wall and a staff member came back with 2 boxes of pieces for him. I wished I knew I could do that when I came in since brown was actually one of the colours I was looking for as well as plants. I should take a picture of what I got actually just so others can see some of what's there. I was trying to find info on current pieces there before I went and couldn't find anything. Might be a good idea for the admins to create a sub-board by store location so we can post our current finds.

The prices are $10.99 for a small cup and $19.99 for big cup.

I was at the Toronto Sherway Gardens Lego store this past Tuesday and unfortunately no red or white 1X1 plates at the pick a brick wall. Although they did have white 1X1 plates with the pieces sticking out that you can put a round stud on sideways. I don't know what the official name is.

It was my first time going there and the selection was ok but I doubt that I'll ever go in there and they'll have all the pieces I'm looking for. They also had a few pieces that I couldn't really see anyone having a need for many of the same one. I was really careful with how I packed the big cup I got and was there for a good 30 minutes putting common bricks together to maximize the space. The advice I've read on here was a tremendous help and I almost got the equivalent of 2 full cups I'm thinking by being careful. Definitely spend the time putting bricks together instead of just loosely dumping them in. The staff at the store were super friendly and when I asked how anal they are with the lid closing one of the girls working there said not to worry about it because they'll just tape the top down. They also weren't giving me any weird looks or anything for taking so long with the packing. When I was almost done someone came in and asked if they had any brown pieces in the back since they weren't on the wall and a staff member came back with 2 boxes of pieces for him. I wished I knew I could do that when I came in since brown was actually one of the colours I was looking for as well as plants. I should take a picture of what I got actually just so others can see some of what's there. I was trying to find info on current pieces there before I went and couldn't find anything. Might be a good idea for the admins to create a sub-board by store location so we can post our current finds.

The prices are $10.99 for a small cup and $19.99 for big cup.

Thanks for this, it's really helpful info. Are the prices in Canadian? I agree with the sun-forum idea, but it would have to be constantly updated since the PaB walls change.

Hi

i have been today at the Lego Store in Munich. Unfortunately they had no 1x2 and 2x2 dark tan tiles as brickbuildr mentioned. Also the 2x2 black plates have been gone. Instead of all od them they had many red pieces: small and long tiles and also small plates. Intersting for SNOT have been "converter plates" that have also studs on their sides, also in red.

Over all a bit disapointing for me, i just leaved the store with a single large cup for 15,99€.

Dino

The inventory list is actually on BrickBuildr:

PAB Wall Inventory for Sherway Store

The problem is that it relies on users in the community to update the inventory. I haven't been in a couple months...so am not sure what's there...but if you remember things that weren't there or that were...please feel free to update the inventory.

PAB is interesting...as like you said, many pieces you don't need a lot of...but many you do...it all depends on what kind of building you do. I wish they would have the small and large flat plant pieces...because you can never have too much foliage.

As you have also said, it is true, that they often don't have the variety of 1 wide bricks that many use for modular style building, or grey slopes for mountain and castle building...it's still fun though when they get interesting windows or containers and what not.

Welcome to PAB!

Thanks for this, it's really helpful info. Are the prices in Canadian? I agree with the sun-forum idea, but it would have to be constantly updated since the PaB walls change.

I'd have no problem updating every time I went :)

And yup, the prices are in Canadian.

The inventory list is actually on BrickBuildr:

PAB Wall Inventory for Sherway Store

The problem is that it relies on users in the community to update the inventory. I haven't been in a couple months...so am not sure what's there...but if you remember things that weren't there or that were...please feel free to update the inventory.

PAB is interesting...as like you said, many pieces you don't need a lot of...but many you do...it all depends on what kind of building you do. I wish they would have the small and large flat plant pieces...because you can never have too much foliage.

As you have also said, it is true, that they often don't have the variety of 1 wide bricks that many use for modular style building, or grey slopes for mountain and castle building...it's still fun though when they get interesting windows or containers and what not.

Welcome to PAB!

Thanks! That site is awesome! I'll definitely update the list with what I remember. I might be going again tomorrow with a buddy of mine too so I'll take note of everything.

I totally agree about the flat plant pieces. That was specifically what I was looking for and really disapointed they didn't have any. Knowing now though that you can ask for things from the back I'm going to see if maybe they have them and they're just not out.

I've been to the Fairview one, but their selection is very basic. All I saw was a wide assortment of 2x? and 1x? bricks in various colours, and wheels and steering wheels. Not that great, especially compared to some walls like NYC Rockefeller. The large cup is $19.99 and the small is $10.99. They are the same size as other cups world wide as far as I can tell.

Any plants?

I'd have no problem updating every time I went :)

And yup, the prices are in Canadian.

Thanks! That site is awesome! I'll definitely update the list with what I remember. I might be going again tomorrow with a buddy of mine too so I'll take note of everything.

I totally agree about the flat plant pieces. That was specifically what I was looking for and really disapointed they didn't have any. Knowing now though that you can ask for things from the back I'm going to see if maybe they have them and they're just not out.

Any plants?

If you want to be sure you remember everything for updating purposes, take a digital camera and then take photos... It can be a pain to do that a lot tho...

If you want to be sure you remember everything for updating purposes, take a digital camera and then take photos... It can be a pain to do that a lot tho...

Exactly. For Fairview, the initial data upload will be the hardest. For Sherway, less so as it just needs to be modified.

With Fairview and all new stores, they won't have a lot of "unopened" boxes in the back for you to peruse through, as they will just get the basic assortment that all new stores get. Over a period of months, the stores may request certain parts to add to the bins, but they may or may not get what they request. Sherway had the small flower bits which are good for grass or general landscaping...and great for cup loading as they are compressible...but I want the pearl gold window grills, and curved top windows found at other PAB walls, and also the flat plant pieces. Those are good scorew...or clear panels.

One "trick" that hasn't been mentioned here (or recently) to updating the Brickbuilder or whatever the database is called, is to (if you can spare the room or the wall is mostly small parts) is to start a cup with 1x each piece in the wall, then fill.

When you sort at home, log each unique piece.

This seems the easiest way, but you do sacrifice some room in the cup to update with this method.

I suppose if you are really knowledgable you could write it all down or take pictures... :shrug_oh_well:

I write down the parts on the walls (with the help of BrickBuildr's sheet), then start filling the cups. Examining all the parts first helps me figure out what I want to get and prioritise, as well as how many cups to use.

I just take pix when I'm done. 12 bins per pic. Some shapes may run out when I'm picking bricks, and get replaced with others, so I wait till the end.

By taking pix, I also can update the Brickbuildr database in the correct order.

Any plants?

I don't think so. I think the wall will start improving as time passes. Most new Lego stores have crappy PaB walls.

I don't think so. I think the wall will start improving as time passes. Most new Lego stores have crappy PaB walls.

PaB walls seem to run in 'bursts' as well, the day of or right after a shipment of fresh boxes the selection improves. I believe that selection various based on whats available in their order cycle as what they can order does change periodically.

I've done a partial BrickBuildr update of the Minneapolis LIC tonight and will finish later this week. Bear in mind I collected my photos late on Sunday afternoon so the selection has a number of duplicates that will likely be consolidated when they get a chance to refill the bins on a less busy day/fresh shipments come in.