Zzz

Indiana Jones theme discussion & speculations

Why don't you build one yourself, since you have pretty much all the necessary minifigs (and the crusaders you can make from Castle figs)? Isn't that the purpose of LEGOs, that you can build anything you want?

And for instance Nepalese and Indian people can be made from the Adventurers Orient Expedition sets. The minifig parts from 7414 Elephant Caravan and 7418 Scorpion Palace for instance make excellent Indiana Jones style Indian people with some minor changes. while the figs from 7417 Temple of the Mountain make excellent Nepalese citizens.

I can vouch for the fact that the tank set WAS made, as a prototype at least. It was vetoed by the company though before it could go into production. This has been corroborated by many set designers in different avenues. I either heard about it through work or at one of the panels they did at the conventions. Ultimately I think being a Danish company it was odd to create a Nazi vehicle, even without the obvious references to the Nazi regime. So, obviously given this, there will NEVER be a tank set.

they've already made "nazis" so why not tank belonging to Hatay republic (well it is half-fictional place- there were country named Hatay- but it was not like it is shown in the film) it wasn't so clearly nazi as stuka just appeared 2009... :sceptic:

I can vouch for the fact that the tank set WAS made, as a prototype at least. It was vetoed by the company though before it could go into production. This has been corroborated by many set designers in different avenues. I either heard about it through work or at one of the panels they did at the conventions. Ultimately I think being a Danish company it was odd to create a Nazi vehicle, even without the obvious references to the Nazi regime.

They've already done that with the nazi biplane and the nazi flying wing and various other nazi vehicles - why is a tank different?

I don't understand why they insist on maintaining this façade of anti-violence. How is a WW2 'enemy' tank different from a WW2 'enemy' biplane? How is a WW2 tank different from a Star Wars killing machine? They're all vehicles of war.

Where do I sign the petition to get this set releases? Even if it's a S@H exclusive or something so it never tarnishes the lego toy shelves.

If Lego does indeed have a no-violence policy, I think it was shown the door long ago. These days, you can't sell a toy to Lego's target group if it doesn't have opposing factions, guns, swords, action features, etc. The evidence against this policy is quite strong: Pirates, Wild West, Agents, Batman, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and just about every medieval theme since the early 1980s. Indiana Jones already has three clearly German wartime planes (the first of which cuts a large Nazi in half at one point), a sword-fight in a Russian camp, a sword-wielding Egyptian maniac who is shot dead in cold blood, a Soviet thug with an Uzi (who is eaten alive by big freaking ants, I might add), multiple vehicles with mounted machine guns, a minecart race against a couple of sadistic Thuggee cultists who strap people into metal cages and lower them into boiling lava for fun, etc. I see no reason why we cannot have an enormous, fully-armed tank manned by a full crew of Nazi soldiers.

I think 'cause there are relatively so few sets for Indy (about 17 I think?)...while Star Wars has over 200 sets at least(?).

After Star Wars' first two years they only had a total of 22 system sets so it wasn't much more.

Plus with Indy there aren't as many characters as Star Wars.

Not true since the Star Wars movies merely revolve around the same characters while the Indiana Jones films typically introduce new characters in every film (especially the villains). The only reason Star Wars may seem like it has more characters is because most are unimportant background characters which EU crap and fanbois have named and elevated to prominence unworthy of their screen time.

Kids are still into the Clone Wars cartoon.

A valid point though talking with a few Star Wars fans I know (not all agree), stuff like that cartoon continue to drive their interest in Star Wars lower and lower. Ultimately people grow up and when they do they walk away from the increasingly juvenile Star Wars (a position I share as well). The thing that you have to remember though is that Lego sells non-licensed themes as well. Those do fine without films or TV shows to support them. If Lego produces quality Indiana Jones sets they'll sell on the basis of the content alone without support of a new film or TV show.

SW has sooooooo many vehicles. It's limited with Indy.

So? Lego doesn't have to concentrate on vehicles nor have they done so with other themes. Look at Harry Potter, a licensed theme which mainly revolved around non-vehicle sets. Additionally, Lego has been resorting to recycling vehicles, often times unnecessarily (Slave-1).

Those are some very good points prof1515 and those are some of the reasons why I think we will see Indy again in the near future. Lego had to pay a fortune for that license and I imagine that they are planning to reap the benefits from it. I remember Lego saying that they wanted the Indy line to be like their SW line when the Indy sets first came out so I have a hard time believing that Lego is just going to pull the plug on Indy after two years. :classic:

a sword-wielding Egyptian maniac who is shot dead in cold blood

EXCUSE ME. As a trained professional who works with deadly weapons on a daily basis, I must dispute this part. If you're cofronted by a sword-wielding maniac, you have been presented with a clear reason to fear for your life and a threat to same, and in civilized places we recognize that under those conditions self-defense means using deadly force. Indy's outward composure means nothing--I've seen video of pros in action who've told me afterward that you couldn't see it, but they felt like they were shaking like leaves.

Respectfully submitted.

My vote...Grail Temple. A MUST!!! for the last set...BUT, with Indy 5 still a reality as far as I hear, I think they'll relaunch the line then. Crossing fingers.

After Star Wars' first two years they only had a total of 22 system sets so it wasn't much more.

I hear what you're sayin'. I was speculating/giving a lamens view of sales... from a previous post asking why Star Wars is more profitable than Indy (something to that effect). I'm a huge Indy fan but I was looking at the overall line of Star Wars with it's rabid following...the main characters, all the different Jedi, the creatures, etc.(which is a much bigger cast of characters than Indy to pull from, regardless of how popular they are-Star Wars fans collect everything from a line)and kids following with Clone Wars still fueling it.

One thing though, according to Brickset, the first 2 years of Star Wars had 34 sets. I think 14 the first year and then 20 the next? Again I could be wrong on that #. Brickset has 34 set between the first 2 years.

Edited by LegoDad42

One thing though, according to Brickset, the first 2 years of Star Wars had 34 sets. I think 14 the first year and then 20 the next? Again I could be wrong on that #. Brickset has 34 set between the first 2 years.

Star Wars had 34 sets if you count the Technic, Mindstorms and UCS sets. I was only counting system sets since there have been no similar lines with Indy (and Star Wars has sporadic non-system UCS sets and Technic sets since that large initial release in 2000).

Technically, I should have said 27 system sets since the four mini-figure packs and the podracer bucket are also system.

Edited by prof1515

I know it's dreaming but I would buy immediately a Grail Temple Exclusive set (if well done, of course...).

A

I don't think it's likely - a Grail Temple set would be a playset like the other Indy locations, Exclusives are always complete models instead of just playsets.

An Indy exclusive might be... the submarine from the first Lost Ark, the train from the Last Crusade or possibly the German castle holding Indy's father from the Last Crusade.

Since the Imperial Flagship wasn't technically part of the Pirates line, and it was released after the line had technically finished, I'm still hoping that a good Indy Exclusive will be released, even though the Indy line has (allegedly) also finished.

Edited by David Thomsen

Personally, I reuse to believe this is over untill I see proof. Not flimsy evidence like no news or missing catalauge info. I don't care If I have to break into LEGO, I'm going to find out. Once I see hard evidence that LEGO Indy's ending, then I'll buy into it. Not untill.

EXCUSE ME. As a trained professional who works with deadly weapons on a daily basis, I must dispute this part. If you're cofronted by a sword-wielding maniac, you have been presented with a clear reason to fear for your life and a threat to same, and in civilized places we recognize that under those conditions self-defense means using deadly force. Indy's outward composure means nothing--I've seen video of pros in action who've told me afterward that you couldn't see it, but they felt like they were shaking like leaves.

Respectfully submitted.

I don't mean to start an argument, I was simply listing that as an example of the violence in the Indiana Jones movies and which is thus inherent in the Indy toy line.

It really surprises me that it wasn't profitable enough for LEGO, they charged the same ridiculous prices they do for the SW sets, wo I fail to see the problem.

I guess we'll never fully understand how TLG works.

Where'd you read that it wasn't profitable? Everything I've read indicated quite the opposite (and you think the prices are ridiculous? I actually think the Indy line has had some of the better LEGO values, even if not the very best)...

I know LEGO Indy sets have been clearanced. So have LEGO Star Wars sets, and LEGO City, and LEGO Darn Near Everything Else. That doesn't mean the whole line is a money loser; it just means the individual sets from the existing waves have been out a while, and are no longer considered some retailers' main attractions for the LEGO aisle. The most recently-released Indy sets are still selling at full price in a number of outlets.

That said, I certainly don't think it's a given that the line will be back in 2011; it really could go either way. My understanding is that it's been put on hiatus to make room for Prince of Persia in the line-up, as the two licenses are considered to cover similar thematic territory. In wild speculation mode, I'd guess the Indy line has probably been one of the more profitable licensed themes, and I kind of doubt PoP will be anything more than one of the more fleeting, ephemeral licensed themes (

Edited by Blondie-Wan

The title says it all. No new sets in 2010, probably discontinued. But if we get some 500+ votes and some attention, maybe they make an exclusive S&H set.

The Himalaya bar?

66791995.jpg

Lao Che's plane?

Temple%20of%20Doom_Lao%20Che.jpg

or the tank?

tn2_indiana_jones_and_the_last_crusade_4.jpg

You would like to get that? Then please sign!

(Please post your wishes for sets and rumours in the threads where they go and please refrain of telling me I am too optimistic or stupid.)

Just sign if you like!

:classic:

1st: Zzz

It's angering Lego didn't give Bionicle one last shot, unless there will be some sort of out-of-nowhere surprise.

I think Indy deserves one super set to finish it off, but I doubt it will happen.

Signed-Darth Legolas.

You have my support, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll come out with some more Indy in a year or so, unlikely but it could happen :classic: