17 hours ago, zblob said:

Hello ! 

I'm french sorry for my english ;-)

Do you think it's safe to store a Lego box in my cellar during some months before building if the box is sealed, and protected by a largest cardboard ?

It's not a problem if the box is a little damage, i just want to protect the bricks.

Thank you !

It should be safe yes. Especially if it's a sealed set the bags inside the box will keep the Lego safe. The things you want to watch out for are water, sun exposure, and extreme temperatures.

I also generally store my unopened sets in the basement. My basement is dry, and temperature controlled. I haven't had any issues with the bricks upon opening.

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but with 67 pages of posts and 15 years of history, I don't think I'm going to find a good answer quickly.

BrickLink suggests there are 81,448 unique Lego parts (excluding color options, I believe). I'm looking to sort the 30 gallon tubes of Lego (including many Technic) I have into drawers. Anybody have an idea of how many unique Lego parts I'm likely to find (not sorting color) in enough quality that I'll want to dedicate a compartment for? Exclude minifigure storage. I'm interesting in easily locating different types of bricks, plates, tiles, beams, connectors, etc.

I'm trying to determine how many drawers, and dividers in each, I can expect to consume. My goal is to maximize drawer size, but want to ensure I can adequately sort by type (again, not sorting by color) with room to grow. Big parts can be a limiting factor, so I'll have to make a SWAG about how much I'll actually be able to divide the drawers.

Not an answer to your question but you are provably better off by starting to group parts in categories. For example gears, pins, axles, liftarms etc. 

11 hours ago, westphald said:

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but with 67 pages of posts and 15 years of history, I don't think I'm going to find a good answer quickly.

BrickLink suggests there are 81,448 unique Lego parts (excluding color options, I believe). I'm looking to sort the 30 gallon tubes of Lego (including many Technic) I have into drawers. Anybody have an idea of how many unique Lego parts I'm likely to find (not sorting color) in enough quality that I'll want to dedicate a compartment for? Exclude minifigure storage. I'm interesting in easily locating different types of bricks, plates, tiles, beams, connectors, etc.

I'm trying to determine how many drawers, and dividers in each, I can expect to consume. My goal is to maximize drawer size, but want to ensure I can adequately sort by type (again, not sorting by color) with room to grow. Big parts can be a limiting factor, so I'll have to make a SWAG about how much I'll actually be able to divide the drawers.

I use bigger drawers for parts I have lots of, or parts that take up a lot of space like larger plates.

Then I use smaller drawers for everything else.

You could sub-divide every part out there, but I find it's more helpful to separate based on your building style. For example, I build a lot of terrain so all my earth tones 1x2 plates get stored together because I tend to use lots of them at the same time. But all my 1x2 d.grey and l.grey plates get stored separate because when I build something grey (rock work or space ship) I tend to color block. 

It also depends on how many tubs you have to sort... You'll probably need more than you think.

I agree with Jim, coming back to the question; it's almost impossible to predict how many different parts you might have.
I have around 71.000 loose parts, in 4.000 different lots. How many of these lots are the same but in other color I don't know, and my database (Brickstock) cannot tell me.
My way of storing is based on categories, and when I have a lot of the same item, then I seperate them in an idividual drawer, or I have deviders in the drawer to keep them separated.
Then the drawers are placed in such a way that items belonging to the same category are closed together, so that I know where to search.
On the outside of the drawer there are pictures to show me what is in.
Over the years I have changed the contence of a number drawers several times when my collection was growing.
In the Brickstock database I can find in which drawer I can find each part.

Thank you for the responses. Watching how others have their collections sorted and how many drawers they've used, as well as digging through some of the previous posts here, I feel like I'm looking at 2500-3000 unique part types to sort, and then all of the larger items I'll only have one or two of. I've identified how I can fit 1078 drawers, divisible into 3432 separate compartments, on the wall I have above my workspace. I'll probably put some large drawers underneath for overflow, large pieces, MOC's, and such. I think that will be sufficient for a while.

I was able to finish setting up a storage and build area recently in my basement. Having no corner walls to work with was a real challenge but I think I've made the best of the available space. I have been building a MOC recently and grabbing pieces has been a total breeze, way easier than it ever has been. Ditching the craft organizers for something more robust and with more sorting capacity was the best storage decision I've made.

53639399645_81c14b7ae2_c.jpg

The build table slides in between the storage chest and the black wire shelf when I'm not using it, so as to keep the walkway clear. 

53638059042_8d6b4bcfcd_c.jpg

Amazingly I was able to find two of the exact same metal cabinet (in different colors) from separate estate sales last year. They were made in about the 1950s by a company called Steelmaster, built very well, and have a nice aesthetic too, which is important depending on which area of your living space you must dedicate to your Lego. I mean, these things have been a game changer. I fill them with drawer inserts as needed made from cardboard, Lego set boxes, cereal boxes, etc and tailor the size according to which pieces need to go in there, making highly efficient use of space.

53639281134_9e4669e4e9_c.jpg

53639171363_815be90c97_c.jpg

The white units are the Simply Tidy wide mobile chest from Michaels, which I think are superior to the Ikea Alex drawer units. The box insert system is similar.

53638945241_5ef690f001_c.jpg

Judging by the Rebrickable count of my total parts, there are well over 100,000 parts inside these 4 units and the 3 plastic tubs on top (which I use for disassembled sets and overstock parts). Not bad yeah?

I had a question about how people prefer to store their minifigures,

I've been concerned a lot about torso cracking that I've had in some figures between 2013-2019 mostly, and am trying to take the best course of action to prevent or minimize it.

In theory keeping minifigures disassembled, or the legs not fully attached reduces the amount of pressure on the torso and can help prevent cracks. But I wonder if you stored them that way, but frequently assembled and disassembled them when wanting to use them, would frequency or infrequent assembley more likely to increase cracks than just leaving them assembled would? I'm curious if anyone has experience with the subject?

Storage; I've scaled through this thread i've been volun-tasked with organising my collection; In truth my sets suffered from repeated "high velocity unscheduled rapid dissassembly" courtesy of my delightful kids, SO I now have the task we all love; sorting/organising my (now) parts..

My current 'solution' is a a mix of multi-drawer organisers, small/medium/large size clear boxes (gotta love Temu), a hard christmas bauble case. and several Stanley Organisers (both 'standard' and 'FatMax Deep Pro'). 

As I'm UK based and finding the multidrawer organiser cabinets (I would hope you know the type actually quite therapeutic to label and organise, I'm wonder if any of my UK based breathen can direct me to the best value organiser cabinets/cases?

A side note for this thread, If not already attempted/suggested; Can i float the idea of a similar thread but with country/region specific suppliers/shops listed? I see several US/Canada store references (Lowes, Target, Home Depot etc), a few UK outlets mentioned (B&Q, Screwfix, The Range etc) and region specific instances of Amazon. The aim of such a thread would be a single place that newbies to sorting can combine with this thread, and have an informed idea of where to pick up such solutions.

Back on point, UK fellows; best place to get part organiser multidrawer cabinets - I already use Screwfix/Toolstation/CEF for Stanley cases (Electrician by trade) as they tend to be best value for the aforementoned Stanley organisers..

Many thanks. 

On 4/16/2024 at 12:56 AM, HatBricks said:

I had a question about how people prefer to store their minifigures,

I've been concerned a lot about torso cracking that I've had in some figures between 2013-2019 mostly, and am trying to take the best course of action to prevent or minimize it.

In theory keeping minifigures disassembled, or the legs not fully attached reduces the amount of pressure on the torso and can help prevent cracks. But I wonder if you stored them that way, but frequently assembled and disassembled them when wanting to use them, would frequency or infrequent assembley more likely to increase cracks than just leaving them assembled would? I'm curious if anyone has experience with the subject?

I think it depends on what you intend to do with the figs. If you're going to display them then keeping the torso and legs attached is probably best. As you said constant assembly and disassembly could weaken the torso. If you're going to do minifigure customization I'd store them separate. That's what I do. Parts will break every now and then, but I think keeping them stored separate has been best.

9 hours ago, Lister said:

Storage; I've scaled through this thread i've been volun-tasked with organising my collection; In truth my sets suffered from repeated "high velocity unscheduled rapid dissassembly" courtesy of my delightful kids, SO I now have the task we all love; sorting/organising my (now) parts..

My current 'solution' is a a mix of multi-drawer organisers, small/medium/large size clear boxes (gotta love Temu), a hard christmas bauble case. and several Stanley Organisers (both 'standard' and 'FatMax Deep Pro'). 

As I'm UK based and finding the multidrawer organiser cabinets (I would hope you know the type actually quite therapeutic to label and organise, I'm wonder if any of my UK based breathen can direct me to the best value organiser cabinets/cases?

A side note for this thread, If not already attempted/suggested; Can i float the idea of a similar thread but with country/region specific suppliers/shops listed? I see several US/Canada store references (Lowes, Target, Home Depot etc), a few UK outlets mentioned (B&Q, Screwfix, The Range etc) and region specific instances of Amazon. The aim of such a thread would be a single place that newbies to sorting can combine with this thread, and have an informed idea of where to pick up such solutions.

Back on point, UK fellows; best place to get part organiser multidrawer cabinets - I already use Screwfix/Toolstation/CEF for Stanley cases (Electrician by trade) as they tend to be best value for the aforementoned Stanley organisers..

Many thanks. 

I'm in France and the best option I've found is Stanley. I buy them off Amazon when there's a good sale.

On 4/20/2024 at 12:53 AM, Lister said:

Many thanks. 

I use these from B&Q 

you can take the top off and connect them together, just be careful when taking the top of that you don’t break the connector bit on them 

it won’t let me add a pic for some reason but here is a link to them

https://www.diy.com/departments/form-kontor-clear-grey-stackable-plastic-3-drawer-unit/3663602763529_BQ.prd

On 4/20/2024 at 12:53 AM, Lister said:

I tend to use CPC (https://cpc.farnell.com/c/tools-maintenance/storage) - I prefer to use compartment boxes and they've always had consistency and availability of my preferred sizes. They do pretty much any style you can think of and free delivery (over £20) too.

On 4/22/2024 at 10:03 AM, Lister said:

For those in the UK; Aldi have got some DIY Specialbuys coming up that may be of interest at £9.99ea;

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-accessory-drawers/p/832342777515400

I use the 32+1 drawer cabinets for minifigure parts, and also one for technic parts. They are pretty good quality, although they were only £7.99 when I last bought them.

For building parts, these drawers are not really big enough.

They work well for small parts like tiles or small plates, but indeed for bricks they are less handy (not deep enough)