Sign in to follow this  
Lego12

SES Restoration Project

I just got an SES from my cousin who lives out of the country and he's married. He gave me his SES, which is in bad shape, but he absolutely loves it. The sails are all wrinkled and there are some missing sails, 3, and its really dusty with a couple of missing pieces. :pir-sceptic: My plan is the restore the entire ship. I'm going to take apart the whole ship, put the bricks in water to dust them off and re-build it. I'm also going to get new sails. I plan to have this finished by June and he's visiting in December with his wife and I think he'll be pleased to see the ship in such a great condition! :pir-cry_happy:

I decided to share this with you as I thought you would all enjoy to see the process. :pir-sweet: I also wanted some advice if you have any ideas. I'm also looking for SES sails that are in good condition and I'm willing to pay or trade for them.

BEFORE:

Overall Pic:

p1000992.jpg

Cannons and Captain's Cabin:

p1000994.jpg

Cannons:

p1000995.jpg

Poop Deck:

p1000999.jpg

AFTER:

Overall Pic:

p1010020.jpg

Bow:

p1010023.jpg

Cannons:

p1010025.jpg

Poop Deck:

p1010026.jpg

Captain's Cabin:

p1010028.jpg

Stern:

p1010035.jpg

Crew's Sleeping Quarters:

p1010037.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by Lego12

Good luck with this. I dont think the sails alone should be too hard to get. Its too bad I missed getting these pirate sets.

I'm looking forward to seeing this!

I received some really dusty boat hulls from Ebay once and had to give those a pretty good bath. :pir-grin:

This will be interesting watching you restore your new SES. All I can suggest is looking on bricklink or eBay for your SES sails. I wish you luck on your hunt on finding those SES sails.

LegoKing

Sounds like a great project. I've enjoyed fixing up one or two sets I got off ebay that weren't just quite right, and the best was restoring my old Imperial Trading Post from pre-AFOL days (perhaps a few worn bricks still remaining that could do with being replaced, but it's important to get the right vintage of bricks too I think).

Thanks for the feedback guys! Pictures should be up in a few hours or so. I'm from the US. The boat is 15 years old and it hasn't been cleaned for 15 years......

Dear lego12,

the SES... :pir-wub: That's a real classic.

The washing of the bricks is a good idea. :thumbup:

Recently, I collected my old lego (including a SES) from my grandmothers addic to put on display in my home.

Most colored bricks were in good condition.

I did however have some yellowed white pieces. I used a mild cleaner; oxy-action, to whiten them.

It it took a couple of weeks and the color isn't as white as when the bricks were new, but close enough for my tatse.

But to be sure not to ruin / brittle the bricks I added just a little oxy-action per litre water.

This made the process take a long time, but the bricks are still perfect with good "clutching" power.

So if you have some yellowed bricks I would suggest putting them in a bath for some time.

If you want I can redo the process with some other yellowed bricks and post some photos.

I did not test printed bricks as for feer of ruining the print.

And I did not de-yellow other colors except white, as it might make them too light in color.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Thanks Teddy! Oxy-action per litre water, huh? Sounds like a good idea......I'll try it. It'd be great if you could redo the process! Thanks again for all the advice! The pictures will be up later in the afternoon, so stay tuned!

The SES is a beautiful ship, and something beautiful needs care to keep being beautiful. Good thing is you do take care of it! :pir-blush:

I put my dusty bricks in a bath tub and let it float for an hour so the dust will be removed.

I've discovered something too: white bricks will become yellowed when they are exposed to sunlight. I keep my MOCs away from sunlight by putting them in a shady place.

I also put the white bricks I don't need in a box so sunlight won't be able to ruin my white bricks.

This seems to be very excessively but I know how it is to see a completely white ship turning out in yellow. :pir-sceptic:

Hope this might help. :pir-blush:

Wow, you guys are really helping out! Thanks Cap'n Blackmoor! Well I just got it and my cousing seriously love's the boat, but its in bad shape, so I'm going to restore it to its natural beauty! He's coming to visit in Dec. and he says he wants to see it in mint condition, although the boat is still mine......I really need some SES sails though.......thanks again! Pictures will be up at around 3:00-4:00 p.m.

A couple of weeks ago I was reading a review on the Caribbean Clipper hear on the site. ImperialScouts stated that the ship had been very dusty/dirty and so he decided to clean it by soaking it in HOT, soapy water causing them to lose their grip power.The Hot water is what caused it to lose it grip. I have been dumb enough to do this before. Note whatever you do don't use hot water on Lego.

Edited by Broadside

That sounds like a great project to a great ship. I got a BSB from my cousin and it was in a crappy condition, the hull pieces were discolored, they were a light grey, black, and tan. Also all the hull pieces were morphed together, because he washed them, and then dried them with a hair drier, so they got melted together.

I wish I had cousins and attics with lost lego. :pir-look: Normally I clean my dusted lego with a brush (a big one not a toothbrush), but in your case I would wash it. :)

I can't wait to see your process of Restoring your Ship Lego12. :pir-cry_happy:

Edited by Neptune

Yuck! I just saw your pics on brickshelf. That has to be the dustiest thing I have ever seen made out of legos. I am coughing just looking at it. If I were you I would go over the ship with a small vacum(after removing pieces that might get sucked up). Then I would give the pieces a nice bath. If the white pieces still stay yellowish you might want to give them a bath in bleech. The sails look good to me. All you have to do is iron them or sick them under some heavy books for a day or two.

A couple of weeks ago I was reading a review on the Caribbean Clipper hear on the site. ImperialScouts stated that the ship had been very dusty/dirty and so he decided to clean it by soaking it in HOT, soapy water causing them to lose their grip power.The Hot water is what caused it to lose it grip. I have been dumb enough to do this before. Note whatever you do don't use hot water on Lego.

Ok thanks! I probably would have soaked it in hot, soapy water! :pir-look:

That sounds like a great project to a great ship. I got a BSB from my cousin and it was in a crappy condition, the hull pieces were discolored, they were a light grey, black, and tan. Also all the hull pieces were morphed together, because he washed them, and then dried them with a hair drier, so they got melted together.

Thanks! Morphed together? Yuck! :pir-sick: Don't dry them with a hair drier, got it!

I cant wait to see it! :pir-blush: I already know it will be great!

Thanks! :pir-blush:

I wish I had cousins and attics with lost lego. :pir-look: Normally I clean my dusted lego with a brush (a big one not a toothbrush), but in your case I would wash it. :)

I can't wait to see your process of Restoring your Ship Lego12. :pir-cry_happy:

Yeah, I seriously need to take it apart and wash it, good! :pir-grin:

Good look finding those sails...what's the going rate, $50 per set? Very expensive.

Yeah......I haven't has any luck.......actually the price for the SES in used condition is $120. Its expensive, but a great set! :pir-wub:

Yuck! I just saw your pics on brickshelf. That has to be the dustiest thing I have ever seen made out of legos. I am coughing just looking at it. If I were you I would go over the ship with a small vacum(after removing pieces that might get sucked up). Then I would give the pieces a nice bath. If the white pieces still stay yellowish you might want to give them a bath in bleech. The sails look good to me. All you have to do is iron them or sick them under some heavy books for a day or two.

Cheater! :pir-tongue: Yeah its really dusty! Remember it hasn't been cleaned for 15 years....... :kahuka: Where at? In my bath tub or a big container? Bleach, really? That sounds wierd..... :pir-sceptic: I was thinking about ironing them.........but I'm missing three sails. :pir-cry_sad:

If ANYBODY has any SES sails I'll pay a lot of money for the sails or trade a lot for the sails! :pir-sweet:

Btw, sorry for not posting the pictures when promised, I was a bit busy. The pictures have been posted now, though.

Edited by Lego12

Looking forward to seeing some progress! I always like these projects :pir-classic:

I have a similar one I will post soon. But it is is worse condition. It's a dwarves mine that has been through a beating. But alas I shall fix it!

Looking forward to seeing some progress! I always like these projects :pir-classic:

I have a similar one I will post soon. But it is is worse condition. It's a dwarves mine that has been through a beating. But alas I shall fix it!

Yeah, thanks bud! :pir-classic:

Holy moly that's a lot of dust. :pir-oh:

I wish you the best of luck in cleaning it! :pir-grin:

Shut up. :pir-tongue: I'll do it this Saturday and I'll post pictures. :pir-wink:

Wow! That SES is dustier than my knights castle from 1996.

Good luck cleaning that baby. You are going to need it. :pir-wink:

LegoKing

wow that is one dusty and yellowed ship! Even my dustiest lego can't beat that! But that aside, I really look forward to seeing your ship restored to its former days of glory! Keep us updated!

Shame on your cousin for letting such a beautiful set get in that condition. :pir_bawling:

Area with steering wheel (What's the name of that thing?)

I think it's call the "Poop deck"

Edited by Neptune

I would cry if i see my SES like that full of dust :pir_bawling: lol, good luck clean it well ... :pir_laugh2: