Sign in to follow this  
Barbaros

Lego collectors with children in the house

Hi all!

I'm just about to have my first born child and I was wondering if I can get some advice from other Lego collectors out there.

Now owning various Lego sets with their mocs around the house would always eventually intrigue the little boy or girl to try and get a hold of them thus possibly destroying the prized collectables since they don't understand their value, even if you do get them as many alternative toys as possible, they would eventually insist on playing with the ones which they see Dad collecting or assembling.

So what to do in this situation? Now I know it would take them some years to then try their best to get hold of those Lego sets, but when they do come to that age, what to do? Even if we do lock those sets up, eventually one day they would find themselves in and would try to get a hold of them, right?

Anybody with experience out there regarding this matter?

Thanks!

Edited by Barbaros

My nephew who is a bit over one year old is supervised while he from time to time has a good look at one of his parent's Lego models. He likes if you explain what all the parts are, he's still learning vocabulary though not speaking much yet apart from "Mama", "Dada", "Bob" (the builder) and "Indy" (from watching his Dad play Lego Indy computer game). He's occasionally let play with a minifig, motorbike, horse or such for a short time. His current focus is carefully replacing Indy's hat after taking it off (he will practice this again and again as he still doesn't get it in the right position first time), and getting the horse clip-clop sounds just right.

Of course he is far too young to play with ordinary Lego in general, but the short supervised spells keep him happy about his parents Lego and the rest of the time he is happy to play with his own large blocks (unfortunately they are currently Megabloks cause those were easier when he was younger, but he is getting Duplo for Christmas). He's happy to watch his parents building sometimes too.

I think it would be hard to completely ban a kid from interfering with parent's Lego - supervised "looking at" spells is probably the way to go until they are older and understand about parents having things too (and even then, if they become a Lego fan with Lego of their own, you'll probably still have to allow them to build with you and your more expansive collection).

I'm not a parent myself yet though - just an uncle!

I've quite a number of younger siblings too, so I can say you're in for all kinds of fun later on if you have more kids :) The younger kids will not be content to play with Duplo for long, nor stick to just their own Lego. I think the worse was the chewing - one or two of my brothers wreaked havoc on my Lego, for quite some years too. Fortunately my nephew learnt the concept early on of only putting food in ones mouth.

Edited by brickzone

This is a most interesting discussion and something I've already been thinking about. I don't have kids yet, but maybe in the coming years that will change. In my basement is a very big box full of Duplo already waiting for my kids. This will keep them busy for some time. When they grow older I will allow them to use my (carefully sorted) bricks to build. However, I would like them to understand how much time it costed me to sort all the bricks and to explain them they should sort unused bricks. I don't know if that's a realistic thing to ask from a kid. If it turns out that he/she is not much of a sorter, then I might buy my (future) kids some Lego collections (via eBay, garage sales, ...) so they can do whatever they want with those.

I don't think that I'll allow them to touch my MOCs or minifig collections unless they are of a reasonable age. I just spend too much time on them to have them destroyed by a stupid kid :laugh:. That last remark is of course just a joke (in case someone didn't get that :wink:). I won't stop them from playing with or building official sets when they are old enough not to bite the Lego and stuff like that.

Actually, I'm hoping to have kids who like to play with Lego. It would be awesome to build together and share the love for the bricks. I'm guessing kids like to copy their parents (up to some level), so the chances of my kid becoming a Lego fan are huge.

It brought a tear to my eye when my 2 year old daughter joined two lego bricks together. I totally encourage her playing with my built sets and she already has a favorite set which is the Coast Guard Helicopter 7738. She gets great enjoyment by swishing the blades around and putting a Lego man on top so he can twirl around. Even pulling off the windscreen to pull out the two pilots and place them in the back, closing the doors behind them. She can play there for over half an hour, totally supervised of course.

I have two daughters now the youngest only two months old and will never stop them from playing with my (their) Lego. The eldest has already got sets of her own which are a couple of Thomas duplo sets.

I received my first set 28 odd years ago now so i have collected allot of sets and some are priceless to me but i will always let my daughters play with them as i have always done with my 5 nephews. As long as they treated my Lego with respect they were always allowed full access to my collection which include every star wars system set.

My two year old can say gentle quite clearly now and she knows the Lego is quite special to me. To some extent i think she realizes just how lucky she is that she can spend this special time with her dad. Not once has she put a piece in her mouth and of course i would never leave he alone with it until she was old enough.

I've got three kids. A 9 years old daughter and two 10 year old boys (Twins). Of them it's mainly my daughter that's interested in LEGO (Spongebob Squarepants LEGO to be specific). Of course the boys are also somewhat into LEGO but not as much as my daughter.

I do let them use my LEGO to build their own MOC's. Therefore I've only got a very basic sorting. There are some rules they have to follow: I have to be present, no friends allowed, boxes/polybags that are unopened stays unopened, my WIPs are off limits, etc.

And get your kids their own LEGO. It's so much easier to keep them of yours then.

As I sit here, my middle and youngest are working on their own MOC. A house and garden from Spongebob pieces. The oldest also likes to build, but only sometimes...

They have their own stockpile. I may let them get into mine at some point, but mine are sorted and when not in use, I like to keep it that way.

Christmas is coming though, so we're prob ( :wink: ) all gonna get some new pieces!

Well I have 2 boys, one is 9 and the other is going on 6. They both love playing with lego and have access to all the family LEGO. The bricks are sorted in several bins/rubbermade containers. I have a bin for SPECIAL pieces, one for Doors and Windows, one for wheels, one for plates, one for angle/wedge pieces, one for long 1X? pieces , one for short 1X? pieces,and one for 2X? bricks, and one for minifigs, and one for technics/mindstorm stuff, and finally minifig accessories. The rules are simple: 1 You don't destroy what is built by someone else, 2 you put the legos back in the approriate bin, and you treat the legos with respect... ie they both know how expensive they are because they see the prices in the catalogues that come to the house... and the last rule is No amputations to minifigs... other then that I give them free range...

Every birthday, Xmas they ask for more....

:tongue:

Edited by Marc Gagnon

Wow, it's funy how topics come up around here and they conincide with real life.

My older kids are 8 and they have been playing with my built models for a couple years; Star Wars, Alpha Team, Dino Attack, Batman, Harry Potter, City and Creator. They both are careful but unfortunately end up "breaking" the sets and come to me downtrodden thinking I'm going to be mad.

They each have some system sets and basic buckets and even some creator stuff.

Just the other night I was sorting some of my stuff and the kids got theirs out and were building away..... Mom joked: "Careful kids.... Dad will sort your Lego stuf into his own....."

Then I was thinking about this very topic. For now because of my space issues, I will leave their stuff seperate but when we finalyy move and have the room I'll just combine it all and let them build from the bulk stuff. I'll keep my more "precious" sets built and off limits so to speak. But the random bulk stuff is up for grabs.

First of all,congrajulations! Now back to the topic...

Well you can hide them first than when they are at an age to obey and listen and understand you can take them out. I really suggest hiding them or keeping tham in a storeroom first as they do not know what they are doing at it might risk the baby. For example, your child may take a piece og lego and eat it. These are risks that you take when youa leave your lego around. And as said before you can take them out once they are able to obey and listen. However, you are right that if your child somehow manages to get into the storeroom and idsmantle all that lego. This is something you will have to face to if those MOcs break. This is for when your child is like just born or at age 2.

Now at age 3 if he is able to listen you can tell him what is yours and what not to touch. To distract him for a while, you can get Duplo blocks. That was how my love for lego stared... :wub:

You might have to be upfront with them even if they give you those cute puppy dog eyes. I am not saying to be mean but you know say like this is Dadies and daddy would like it if you dont touch it. But these things too can be avoided if you put it in a garage or storeroom where the child cannot reach.

At age 9 or 6, you might have to be prepared to lose some lego mocs as eventually they will find out. As said before, you can develop their love for lego and get them their own small set. If they ask you that they want to play with yours. Tell them like you can only play with this when you are older.

Lastly, congrats aain for your parenthood! The journey may be rough but it will be very satisfying in the end :classic:

A friend and I were just discussing this with my wife no more than a month ago (his wife was nowhere to be found at the time!). They are planning to have children soon, within two years, whereas we are looking more in the five year category.

We basically concluded that "daddy's legos" are hands-off until they reach a certain age where they can understand and appreciate the collection and the sorting involved. I have every intention however of purchasing them their own sizable collection that I will not supervise at all (well beyond obvious safety supervision). As a child I had no restrictions on what I did with my lego, and although I rarely did anything that was damaging (breaking, losing etc.), I would have been able to without a parent leering over my shoulder telling me how that minifig "might be worth something someday".

I think that sort of practice would probably stunt imaginative growth, and although in years to come they may regret chopping up a few figs here and there, the critical developmental play that they got as a result of being free to do this is more than worth it.

I'll almost certainly have to adapt my plan, and I am willing to share my collection if that is the right thing to do... but as it stands, my current plan is: "one castle for you, one castle for me" :tongue:

This a great discussion.

I have 3 kids, one boy (12) 2 girls (6 and 10) My son could care less about LEGO, my girls love them. My son has been receiving LEGO sets for Christmas since he was around 8. Arctic sets, Harry Potter, and Star Wars. I ended up putting them all together for him.

I kept all my LEGO put away until the kids were what I considered old enough to use them properly. This is when I started collecting again.

I do have some basic rules when they play with the LEGO.

1. Do not take apart anything I make or am working on.

2. Don't open bags or boxes that are sealed.

3. Pick up any LEGO that ends up on the floor.

4. No breaking or biting LEGO.

Any of their friends can use them too as long as they abide by the rules also.

If your kids are old enough to abide by these simple rules, let them have fun!

Great points badsneaker! :thumbup: Barbaros, you should set these rules for your kids or any rules that were in the above posts. Only do it when they are able to obey instructions though and that you are able to trust them. If your child becomes the cheeky type and likes to break rules, you can discipline him or get a room in your house that only contains lego. :classic:

mmm...

I don't have children (yet)

Don't know if I would let them play with all the LEGO I own.

My girlfriend wants the children to play with my LEGO Viking, I don't know.......

I have two sons, ages 4 and 6. We have a lot of fun playing with LEGO sets together. I let them play with whatever they want to, but if it's something that I've built myself, the rule is kinda that they ask me first, and usually I'll play with it with them if we want it to stay intact. There was a Batcave Disaster in 2007 that we still haven't recovered from. But really, LEGO started out for kids, and I want my kids to love LEGO, so why not let them play with it? It's interesting to watch their interest and their building skill grow--I want to encourage that.

I don't have any children, but I think my cat is even worse. He knocked over my Black Seas Barracuda, destroyed my Jungle Base, and chewed on a black ninja. I'm not sure wether to hug him or kick him.

I have 3 daughters (1@3 and 2@4) for almost a year now I let them play with my legos, they were just about out of the "I see it it goes in my mouth" stage. I have a small L gauge layout so I keep some out of reach. MOC on the edge get rebuilt ever few days. They are getting better at using the different bricks. Mostly I bring out the draws with the minifigs and wheels, and a few car models. I also run the train.

I have found at this age after a few hours we have to go back down stairs.

They do have Duplo of their own down stairs.

I only have a few rules no dumping, no eating and the bricks can not leave the room (wife).

I have two children, ages 5 and 20 months. The five year old has a few LEGO sets of his own, but he prefers to snitch my pieces and build his own creations with them. I usually allow him to take them, he treats the parts with respect, so I don't fear breakage. He knows that if daddy needs the pieces, his creation WILL be taken apart, and he is fine with this.

He is getting a small assortment of minifigs for Christmas, since they are what he truly enjoys playing with. I hope he likes them enough to leave mine alone.

The 20 month old has recently taken a liking to daddy's bricks as well. She needs to be watched more closely. She will put small pieces in her mouth. She has already crushed a Technic Pin. I usually let her take one or two large, easily findable parts, e.g. 6 x 6 plates. She'll try and put them together just like daddy does, but she hasn't succeded yet.

But really, LEGO started out for kids, and I want my kids to love LEGO, so why not let them play with it? It's interesting to watch their interest and their building skill grow--I want to encourage that.

I'm with you on this jedikermit. The skills my young ones are developing is amazing. I never had that understanding of LEGO when I was 6 or 10. In fact not till after my dark ages (23-36) did I really start getting to what I consider a decent LEGO builder. My kids come up with some cool stuff for their age. I wish I had the amount of LEGO I do now when I was there age.

But getting back on track-like you say-encourage them if they are enjoying it. LEGO WAS designed for kids wasn't it? Sometimes I forget that!

One thing I don't have in my kids rule book is sorting. I sort everything. At the end of a building session with the kids, its me doing the sorting. This keeps their interest alive as the sorting is tedious and mundane for kids (and me too).

Lastly-minifigs-

At first I was "No- don't take those arms off him!" but after a awhile I took 4 or 5 of my favorite minifigs and put them on a shelf and let the other 100 or so be dismantled, rebuilt, customized etc by my kids.

If you plan on letting a kid in on your LEGO, get a boatload of basic minifigs, hats, hairdo's, accessories and let them go nuts. Also short legs. They are a must have with kids. Nothing like a mini minifig for a kid. My kids will spend hours just making their people for our town. They all have names too.

I am not sure who I would give my Lego collection to. If I gave it to a future son, I would tell him not to ever sell my Lego collection and don't lose any pieces.

Yeah, I think most of us can agree with the fact we all want children that will once love Lego as much as we do and therefore let them play with it, but that it might be better to hide our precious parts, minifigs and especcialy our MOCs!

I don't have any kiddos either but I have an eleven year old nephew that comes here nearly daily and that has my permission to play with my Lego (I do hide my Napoleonic Army and some of my Pirate and Trains Lego though, even when I know he is very carefull with it - I made it clear to him old Lego is expensive and he's really a smart lad so he understands)

IMHO age eleven is a huge difference with age eight BTW, and eight is a world of difference with age five... At eleven they (should) understand all of our instructions and I think there isn't any kid of that age that still chews on Lego or destroys it for fun: the main reason AFOL's don't like sharing their Lego with kids.

Anyway, that's my not entirely different view on this case :classic: .

This is a most interesting discussion and something I've already been thinking about. I don't have kids yet, but maybe in the coming years that will change. In my basement is a very big box full of Duplo already waiting for my kids.

Then you better start making them... :grin: And Green Hair told me if you need some help doing so, you can always count on him! BTW: Can I play with your Lego? I be the good English and you be the evil wicked French ! :laugh: I promess to not leave that much bitemarks!

Edited by zorro3999

I am not sure who I would give my Lego collection to. If I gave it to a future son, I would tell him not to ever sell my Lego collection and don't lose any pieces.

Why restrict it to sons and not include daughters?

I'm not sure what I'd do with kids and Lego as I don't plan to have children anytime soon. By then, I'd probably have a lot more brick and I would give them an assortment including some figs to start them off, and buy them some little sets in various themes. After that, it would depend on their interest.

Thanks all for your advice and congradulating me on my first born, can't wait to see her!

Anyways keep on posting your experiences!

I have two boys, one is three and 1/2, and the other is one. The eldest loves the look of Lego and enjoys my little Indy jeep the most, but has been allowed to turn things on the Death star as well.

I think two of the most important pieces of advice I can offer any parent to be in regards to Lego sharing are;

1. If you think it is important to teach the value of sharing to your children, then you must be able to share your possessions with them too!

2. There is nothing wrong with having one or two sets that a child say 3 and over (who can be reasoned with fairly well) cannot play with, as they will have certain toys they do not wish to share that are special to them as well.

You should always supervise them, as we don't want any swallowed pieces etc.