Sign in to follow this  
5150 Lego

ok, i know i'll get shot for asking this....

Ok, before you start throughing megablocks at me, let me expain...

While at wallmart the other day with some family. As i always do, i leaserly made my way to the toy isle to see if by chance they had any LEGO on sale, or had any 1:18 scale diecast dub cars. While in the LEGO section i just happened to look down and there i saw it. A 1:12 scale model of the McLaren F1 car! I picked up the tin box (yup, tin box) and gave it a once over. Then i saw who made it... MEGABLOCKS!!! :sceptic: Being the LEGO guy i am, i was instantly struck with a bit of disgust. Why, oh why is it that my favortie F1 team has to be made by the ememy of my favorite hobby?? I put the box back, and continued my shopping.

For the next few days i thought alot about the said megablocks set. I have even went on megablocks site to see it again. While there, i noticed that they had a few more McLaren related sets.

Now, just so were clear, i DON'T think megablocks is even remotely as good as LEGO. The quality doesn't compare, niether does the building experiance cause as many have said in the past, they use many large one peice parts. (many parts are complete hulls, and body parts that are unusable other than for the sets they come with). But i know that there are others like me, that are big fans of theme's, or licences that only megablocks hold. For me its Mclaren/Mercadeces. other it might be spiderman, nascar, Pirates of the Carabean, Catapillar tractors, etc.. I wouldn't be buying this set to play with, just a mer display item to show my support for the team i like. It does do a very good job of grabbing the curves of the McLaten chassis. It actually isn't a bad looking set. It acttually looks preety good.

So here's my question. Would you cross over to the dark side? I'm seriously considering the 1:12 Mclaren F1 car. I mean after all, when all is said and done, It is just a childrens toy right? I mean i know i'm posting this on a lego fan website, so some might see it different. So would i be a traitor if i did by the McLaren set?

http://www.megabrands.com/en/products/desc...;cat=1&age=

Megablocks topics go in the Community forum. The LEGO News forum is for LEGO topics. Thanks. :classic:

That's indeed a fine set. I also was about to buy a Megablocks set (the planes and cars), but I could get it out of my mind. My father wanted those Probuilder series, but I said: they are almost made out of one part and I can make that also with LEGO. And I will stay with the LEGO brick, but the urge to buy some Megablocks sets will always be there. But I just don't want to mix LEGO with others, and I want to keep the good quality of LEGO. It sounds weird, but I just can't buy other brands.

You should know for yourself want you want to do with it, indeed: it's cheaper and they have cool sets, but you can always make your own cool planes or cars. You can order the bricks you need or those that look like the ones in the F1 car and search for the building instruction, or you can just use your fantasy. Yes, it wil cost more: but the result will be way nicer than the Megablocks version, it will be sturdy and it will look better, and, above all: it's LEGO. Sometimes I don't understand that, because for me, Megablocks is the same like the custom pieces some people make. It isn't LEGO.

Edited by Matn

*Starts loading gun*

Just kidding....

I say if you want it buy it. Feel free to support your team by having it as a display piece. Heck you can even play with it if you want. Don't let a bunch of people you don't really know on the internet make this, or any, decision for you. If you want some form of Mclaren construction toy then this is the best you're going to get. Lego or not, I say do whatever you want and don't be discouraged by anyone else. :classic:

I've never bought megabloks out my hand (i've received them as gifts though). I will admit though i do buy some clone brands, some are better then you think. (in my opinion one company as done Batman better then TLC did).

(in my opinion one company as done Batman better then TLC did).

Now, the question is is it Batman or is it FlyingMouseMan(Please dont sue is it really just looks like batman) ?

Stauder.

It really was Batman sets, well actually it wasn't just, it was alot of DC characters.

Edited by Pencoin

5150 Lego :cannon::tongue:

You can buy whatever you want, and I don´t think that the purchase of some MB sets would affect your

love to LEGO that much at all.

There´re only a few MB sets in the TRU I visit mostly, but I once glanced at a helicopter from their

Probuilder line I guess too. I thought it could be interesting to use that special cockpit piece for a MOC.

However, in the end I decided that I would prefer to put the money rather in more LEGO... :grin:

I´m with Matn on this one.

I would buy one because it´s really cheap (and can therefore be torched afterwards :devil: ), to get the stickers and see what LEGO parts that you need to get/construct, and then make it in LEGO. That way you use it like any other thing that gets us inspired, and the stickers are like using custom made ones.

So as long as you do it like that and PROMISE to burn it after using it I´ll have to give you a :thumbup: - go for it!

MB

animated-flame.gif

CopMike

I have

two of these B00007BK7M.01.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

and one of these 5779441a2d7e1ab970298807e6164d31.image.100x63.jpg

And I for one can say I'm quite happy with them. :classic: They were cheap, the sets looked cool and IMHO they delivered what I expected of them. They even had some cool pieces and building techniques to boot! The carrier for one had a 2x2 plate with studs on either side.

As for the quality issue, besides a small colour difference I couldn't tell which is which. The colour difference actually adds a bit to a final LEGO-Megabloks model too. If you do it tastefully it gives it a bit of a weathered look IMO. And if you don't want a colour difference then hey, use megabloks on the inside or don't use it at all! Simple, right?

Convert to the dark side? I am on the dark side. Or whatever you'd like to call it. I advise you to pick up the set, it's what I'd do.

Edited by Hairy Ruben

Just buy it that's what I say.

If it's from the pro builder series you don't need to worry too much about large one piece parts.

And as my brother already said, the quality issue is non-existent IMO. (this only works for the PB series though)

I avoid using them in Lego based mocs because there is a slight difference in size between MB and Lego.

Other than that there is nothing to worry about and even more so because you're thinking of it as a display set rather then a part-pack.

Or am I wrong? :tongue:

And best off all, Megablocks is easier on your wallet.

For me there isn't something like a "dark side" just an infinite grey zone :tongue: But I must admit I like Lego more.

Lego just has too many really cool features that MB can never accomplish IMO.

Greetings,

Errorist

Edited by Errorist

we never bought sets, but with 2nd hand LEGO from Germany we now and then get some MB and other non-LEGO parts. In NL for a really long time MB was forbidden to sell anything that resembled normal LEGO but TLC recently lost a case about their monopoly so I guess more MB sets will become available here too. I like some of the sets but the quality is even worse than the recent LEGO parts I'm afraid.

Thanks for not hanging me at the stake guys! :tongue: Nice to see that others aren't closed minded and aren't afraid to pick up some other clone brands if there to there liking.

*Starts loading gun*

Just kidding....

I say if you want it buy it. Feel free to support your team by having it as a display piece. Heck you can even play with it if you want. Don't let a bunch of people you don't really know on the internet make this, or any, decision for you. If you want some form of Mclaren construction toy then this is the best you're going to get. Lego or not, I say do whatever you want and don't be discouraged by anyone else. :classic:

Well said. To be honest, i think i had my mind up even before i made this thread. Guess i just needed some encouragement! :classic:

Next time i'm at wallmart, or i'm in the fecenity, i'll be picking up the 1:12 F1. I'm also going to look into the transport truck. heck, i might even role it around,and bring it out and play with it while i'm watching the races!

*Raises gun and shoots 5150 Lego*

Now we dumb him in the nearest river. :tongue:

Edited by Adam

Ok, before you start throughing megablocks at me, let me expain...

While at wallmart the other day with some family. As i always do, i leaserly made my way to the toy isle to see if by chance they had any LEGO on sale, or had any 1:18 scale diecast dub cars. While in the LEGO section i just happened to look down and there i saw it. A 1:12 scale model of the McLaren F1 car! I picked up the tin box (yup, tin box) and gave it a once over. Then i saw who made it... MEGABLOCKS!!! :sceptic: Being the LEGO guy i am, i was instantly struck with a bit of disgust. Why, oh why is it that my favortie F1 team has to be made by the ememy of my favorite hobby?? I put the box back, and continued my shopping.

For the next few days i thought alot about the said megablocks set. I have even went on megablocks site to see it again. While there, i noticed that they had a few more McLaren related sets.

Now, just so were clear, i DON'T think megablocks is even remotely as good as LEGO. The quality doesn't compare, niether does the building experiance cause as many have said in the past, they use many large one peice parts. (many parts are complete hulls, and body parts that are unusable other than for the sets they come with). But i know that there are others like me, that are big fans of theme's, or licences that only megablocks hold. For me its Mclaren/Mercadeces. other it might be spiderman, nascar, Pirates of the Carabean, Catapillar tractors, etc.. I wouldn't be buying this set to play with, just a mer display item to show my support for the team i like. It does do a very good job of grabbing the curves of the McLaten chassis. It actually isn't a bad looking set. It acttually looks preety good.

So here's my question. Would you cross over to the dark side? I'm seriously considering the 1:12 Mclaren F1 car. I mean after all, when all is said and done, It is just a childrens toy right? I mean i know i'm posting this on a lego fan website, so some might see it different. So would i be a traitor if i did by the McLaren set?

http://www.megabrands.com/en/products/desc...;cat=1&age=

I don't have that model, but go for it. MB uses the same computer software for its car designs as General Motors and for those cars which are not <insert that tiresome argument>, you get a build that is as solid as a die cast metal model.

5150 Lego :cannon::tongue:

You can buy whatever you want, and I don´t think that the purchase of some MB sets would affect your

love to LEGO that much at all.

There´re only a few MB sets in the TRU I visit mostly, but I once glanced at a helicopter from their

Probuilder line I guess too. I thought it could be interesting to use that special cockpit piece for a MOC.

However, in the end I decided that I would prefer to put the money rather in more LEGO... :grin:

If it was the Italian mountain rescue helicopter (red) the released last year you should go back for it. They introduced a number of new curve pieces that tlg has never done and now due to patent laws can't do for 25 years.

MegaBloks also has released the licensed model of the Eurofighter. To die for.

If it was the Italian mountain rescue helicopter (red) the released last year you should go back for it. They introduced a number of new curve pieces that tlg has never done and now due to patent laws can't do for 25 years.

Na, it was some kind of military attack helicopter, but the one you mentioned sounds also pretty interesting.

There´re some people outside who´re really making some very fine MOCs with a certain use of non-LEGO pieces,

and why not? It´s a construction toy in the end, and if someone wants to receive a certain look for a model by

combining elements from different brands I sense no problem. It´s the building fun that counts, and I´m a LEGO

fan because TLC serves my needs on that matter the best. I´m pretty sure that using some other parts from time

to time, if I think it could work out well, wouldn´t change this at all...

I like some of the sets but the quality is even worse than the recent LEGO parts I'm afraid.

Once again, I don't know about any of their recent sets but the three aforementioned sets I bought myself a few years ago had nothing wrong with them. Apart from the slight colour difference the quality was outstanding I'd say.

MegaBloks also has released the licensed model of the Eurofighter. To die for.

I just checked the model on their website, while it's pretty good I still prefer their F-16 model. I was actually lucky enough to witness a demonstration by a Spanish Eurofighter on an airshow here in Belgium. Very impressive indeed, if only TLC came out with a military line.

It´s the building fun that counts, and I´m a LEGO

fan because TLC serves my needs on that matter the best. I´m pretty sure that using some other parts from time

to time, if I think it could work out well, wouldn´t change this at all...

Exactly. I love TLC the most because they invented the toy that we all love and cherish, they started it. I can understand some members incredible loyalty but even though TLC produces the widest range of bricks by far, I am not shy to pick up a MB set and mix these with Lego when I think it adds to the overall look.

Even though TLC is my principal favorite, in the end I value the toy and the building fun more than the company.

I believe TLC is better.

When I compare Lego with Megablocks I believe Lego is a much better product. (quality)

perhaps that's why Lego is more expensive.