Sign in to follow this  
Xfing

Please rec some hybrid (studded/studless) MOCs!

Posted (edited)

As an enthusiast of Lego Technic, I definitely appreciate all the benefits that have come with the studless system, but we can't pretend like studded models can't be intricate either, which is well known from some legendary big sets from the studded era. Still, what really gets me going are sets which are hybrids of studded and studless. While I appreciate some benefits of the studded system, such as strength, robustness, rigidity and triviality of combining them with System pieces, what I really like about studded first and foremost are the aesthetics.

My favorite example of that is the primarily studless set 8275 Motorized Bulldozer - where the designers used studded bricks pretty much arbitrarily and primarily for decorative purposes, and in most if not cases they would have been entirely interchangeable with studless beams. And yet, studded pieces make for a not inconsiderable part of the aesthetics of this model's exterior, which is a net positive IMO. If that set was designed today, I'm pretty sure it would have no studded pieces in it whatsoever, or in negligible numbers. While Lego have been pretty crazy with using studded Technic for play features of primarily System sets, ones marketed as Technic have pretty much made it a point to not use studded at all.

And I think it's regrettable - as apparent from my sentiments about set 8275, I really think that set kind of embodies the healthiest approach to set aesthetics: use studless where needed, use studded where you can get away with it. Real shame Lego have moved away from this, even though when that set was designed back in 2007, a fully studless building system was already well in place, so it wouldn't have cost them anything to stay the course.

So my request to you guys would be to rec me some sets, probably MOCs that successfully combine studless and studded building schools. Not necessarily in the same proportions as 8275 and not necessarily in the late 90s style (pre-beam but heavy on liftarms). I'll take anything where I can admire some nice studded/studless hybridization :D

Edited by Xfing

I'm very much a System enthusiast, I have a few models although I'm not sure this is the combination you're looking for. The bodywork is exclusively system while Technic is used on the innards to provide the functionality.

53519969492_d1e781cac7_c.jpg

51107267884_ef597715ee_z.jpg

I agree that mixing the two styles is a good option and can result in much nicer look for technic models. I mostly add only plates/tiles and slopes here and there, but not liftarms, or only small ones to hold those parts (official models tend to do the same too). But more complex mixing gets more difficult due to the spacing differences between the two systems (brick/plate height vs width).

Anyways, my first thoughts were exactly the models of @eric trax and many more construction machinery often seen in exhibitions. So you might enjoy looking at videos of such exhibitions!

Ok, that Doosan is pretty amazing. Light on technic bricks, but makes fantastic use of System for the bodywork. I agree it's hard to combine the two systems, but for example that humvee made by a competing company with a name starting with "c" contained a huge number of technic bricks, in addition to combining liftarms with System for the bodywork. Pretty sure the model could be built with all Lego pieces without too much trouble.

Posted (edited)

About ten years ago the historic F1 models of @RoscoPC got me into LEGO again. They are a good mix of system and Technic although maybe more system than Technic. I also like the Technic and System mix. Actually the GBC machines I have build (inspired by Akiyuki) are also such a mix. Something else than vehicles. For all of them are free instructions available. For me the new Technic is just putting functions behind (ugly) Technic panels and trying to minimize gaps while doing so, but it never works. In the end it is what you like to build and if it is your best effort/design/build it beats every other top design out there because it is your own! So don't look at others too much and make your own MOCs.

46490131462_1471a8533b_b.jpg

Edited by Berthil
typos