Ultimate 4WD Rally Drift Car - FIRST COMPLETED IMAGE_4

Hi everyone!

Not so long ago, I presented a WIP project I was working on, a 2WD Drift car. So the question is, why am I showing you this model. Actually, the best answer would be that I gave up too fast on the previous one and immediately move to the smaller scale.

During building this model, I came to the realization that the problem with drifting in the previous car was not with tires (although suited drift wheels are much better), but with the floor I was testing it on. From that moment on, I was testing the model in a different place, where the floor is made out of wooden panels.

Features

• Locked 4WD with different speeds on axles(front 1:1, rear 1:1666)
  • Positive caster angle
  • Working front and rear lights suited for Lego
  • Regular Lego 49.5 mm wheels (15413+56145)
  • Opening trunk
  • Powered by RC setup (with gyro function - helps counter-steer)

Design

After the first failed attempt to build a drift car fully out of Lego bricks, I still wanted to use rubber tires and achieve my goals. In the time I was starting to build the model, there were at least two similar cars posted, which reminded me about @Anto Hoonicorn MOC. I wanted to preserve his idea of front axle in my MOC and enhance my model by giving its rear axle faster rotation speed, thus making it slip faster. The source of power still remained in A2212 BL motor, in the drivetrain you can see that it was geared down by planetary wheel hub. Model is steered by geek-servo directly connected to the axle, which controls the steering rack.

Ultimate 4WD Rally Drift Car DRIVETRAIN

Legend (explanation on stud.io bricks presented in the picture above)

• 4x yellow stacked 28-tooth gears are in fact a A2212 motor
  • Grey bricks shaped in 5x3x3 are in fact a geek-servo

More renders and pictures below

Ultimate 4WD Rally Drift Car BACK

P1150820

Ultimate 4WD Rally Drift Car ANGLE

P1150816

Non-Lego parts usage

• RC setup (DumboRC X6FG, 35 ESC SurpassHobby, SOARIN2 S 1300mAh 7.4V 30C, A2212 1000kv brushless motor, geek-servo, Lucas Oil for lubrication)
  • 1x metal U-joint
  • 4x 1x3 trans-red plates from CADA

Finally, I got a short video presenting the model :wink:

Mass 770g
Dimensions 30 x 15.2 x 12.1 cm
Scale 1:12.5
GALLERY

Edited by Krxlion

Nice job! It's cool to see the BL setup in a small, on-road car, rather than just in the trial-truck format that we see most often!

Very nice! 👍😊 

In my opinion (and my little drift experience) you don’t need a gyro with the 4wd version. Of course it gets easier.

I think with rubber tires it is very difficult to control the car when the front and rear axles have got different speeds. With „drift“ tires (or some tape on it) it is easier to control the drift when the rear axle spins faster than the front axle. 
But please notice these points are only my little experience with this topic 😊

Your video and also your build is awesome! Thumbs up!!👍 

cheers, Friedl

Nice model!

I just seen the part where you explained what were those yellow gears and light-bluish-grey plates, as I didn`t understand what they meant when I first looked at the topic.

Philo made the 2 Geekservo motors for Studio: https://www.philohome.com/studio/packs.htm The Geekservo`s are the last thing on the page and you can also find the BuWizz hubs and motors somewhere at the middle of the same page. Be sure to check the instructions on how to unpack the files, as I had some issues with that.

As for other things, such as RC motors, I didn`t found a way to make them as Studio part files. But I found a way to make Studio part files from 3D files........so if you have the 3D model for the motor, you can convert the file to a .dat file and add some connections in the Studio Part Designer.

I found the 3D file converter program on GitHub: https://github.com/Nexusnui/stl-to-dat-improved and here are the instructions for installing it: https://youtu.be/VchzPfKhmoE?si=UCpz4sGCmlNFeDSF

Edited by Lixander

13 hours ago, FriedlS said:

Very nice! 👍😊 

In my opinion (and my little drift experience) you don’t need a gyro with the 4wd version. Of course it gets easier.

I think with rubber tires it is very difficult to control the car when the front and rear axles have got different speeds. With „drift“ tires (or some tape on it) it is easier to control the drift when the rear axle spins faster than the front axle. 
But please notice these points are only my little experience with this topic 😊

Your video and also your build is awesome! Thumbs up!!👍 

cheers, Friedl

Thanks for your input, Friedl. I watched probably all of your models and not gonna lie, feel in love with smooth drifting in your Technic WRX, that you put a while ago.
Regarding gyro function, it really helps, because like you mentioned it is really hard to control where the car slips or have tracking, thus I need to make sure it slips most of the time to make it call a reasonable drift. And when it slips, it is kinda hard to control, so the gyro helps me counter-steer on curves. I was able to fit tight the receiver so it was very useful giro function, not like in my TROPHIC, previous brushless truck.

Aaaaand... I have now 58mm real drift wheels, just need some conversion to Lego system and hopefully the next drift car will have much better performance.

10 hours ago, Lixander said:

Nice model!

I just seen the part where you explained what were those yellow gears and light-bluish-grey plates, as I didn`t understand what they meant when I first looked at the topic.

Philo made the 2 Geekservo motors for Studio: https://www.philohome.com/studio/packs.htm The Geekservo`s are the last thing on the page and you can also find the BuWizz hubs and motors somewhere at the middle of the same page. Be sure to check the instructions on how to unpack the files, as I had some issues with that.

As for other things, such as RC motors, I didn`t found a way to make them as Studio part files. But I found a way to make Studio part files from 3D files........so if you have the 3D model for the motor, you can convert the file to a .dat file and add some connections in the Studio Part Designer.

I found the 3D file converter program on GitHub: https://github.com/Nexusnui/stl-to-dat-improved and here are the instructions for installing it: https://youtu.be/VchzPfKhmoE?si=UCpz4sGCmlNFeDSF

Thank you for your kind words, Lixander. Regarding putting 3rd party components in studio, I kinda don't want to do that. It is because I simply understand what is where and sometimes when I want to share the .io files with someone, he does not need to have all of that and can hopefully understand what is where thanks to provided Legend.

6 minutes ago, Krxlion said:

Thank you for your kind words, Lixander. Regarding putting 3rd party components in studio, I kinda don't want to do that. It is because I simply understand what is where and sometimes when I want to share the .io files with someone, he does not need to have all of that and can hopefully understand what is where thanks to provided Legend.

;))

Also, I understand what you are saying....it takes some while to make the custom parts and also the Studio Designer is pretty limited and hard to use :/