Hi! I just finished working on an alternative model of the 42114 set. I add large 107mm agricultural wheels to make the model look better but its possible to build it only with bricks from the set. Below are a few words about the model CAT 627K!

Dimensions: Length 69cm, width 19cm, height 21cm
Number of bricks: 1901

800x450.jpg

Photo of real machine for comparison:

800x533.jpg

The idea to build a scraper was born almost a year ago. The project failed then, but I came back to it this year. I started the construction with a "boul" to make sure that the Volvo A60 - 42114 set has enough panels and liftarms. The next stage was the modification of the gearbox. I wanted the model to work with the official Control+ application profile. The scraper tractor has very little space for mechanics, so I split the gearbox in half and built a front axle into it.

The real challenge was the bowl lifting mechanism. After a whole day of testing, I managed to build a linkage mechanism that imitates this function very well, even though it uses only one actuator.

I used the second actuator to control the ejector. There is a second manually operated gearbox in the rear of the vehicle. In the first mode, the ejector moves while driving so you can empty the bowl automatically. In the second mode, the ejector is controlled manually. To change this, you just need to move the z16 sprocket.

At the beginning, I was worried about whether I would have enough bricks to build all the details. So I was initially working on a scraper number 621K which does not have an engine at the back. However, it quickly turned out that I would be able to build all the details of the 627K model, such as the dummy engine or fuel tanks above the rear axle. I was very surprised that the available bricks managed to create a very nice looking cabin and front wheel mudguards.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Building Instructions: https://reb.li/m/171046

Custom sticker pack: https://forwartsticker.com/termek/fws98-moc-171046/

Gallery:

128x72.jpg 128x72.jpg 128x72.jpg 128x72.jpg 128x72.jpg 128x72.jpg 128x72.jpg 128x72.jpg 128x72.jpg 128x72.jpg 128x72.jpg 128x72.jpg 128x72.jpg 128x72.jpg 

Video:

Edited by eric trax

WOW that is something that I wanted to make, or at least scraper implement to 4wd tractor but it never fit the scale I make my models, so I had to make compromise and choose something and forget something else. Looks very realistic and I always prefer technic solution.

107mm tires look to be more acurate if only size matters.

When I drive to work, there are preparing work for roads and some industry conplex and I always see Liebher dozer(s) and then instantly think of your Litronic 776. After several years it is great model.

That is a fantastic B-model, the technical details are astonishing! 

1 hour ago, 1gor said:

WOW that is something that I wanted to make

I also thought about it, or rather a Volvo AH40 as a tractor for a scraper trailer :thumbup:

It is an awesome scraper and even more being a B-model, congratulations for a fantastic work, I also preffer the small wheels. All the details in a Technic style are done very good.

3 hours ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

Looks better with the original tyres if you ask me. Nice job - we really don't have enough scrapers in Technic.

Agreed.

Very nice model of an interesting vehicle. Top execution as always. Well done!

Looks awesome - have been waiting for a twin scraper for years after earlier attempts never quite made it.

I really like this creative MOC of an extraordinary machine!

After reading your descriptions and watching the video I still have some questions:

- What's the purpose of the gearbox? Are there different driving speeds? (Like in official 42114 (???))

- What happens after the ejection, i.e. when the linear actuator's full extension? I assume the linear actuator will stall - and because it's connected to the propulsion, the whole vehicle will stop, wouldn't it?

Edit: Oh, I just checked rebrickable: The ejector moves forward and backward. How did you manage to achieve this periodic movement?

Edited by Timewhatistime

On 1/31/2024 at 1:25 AM, Timewhatistime said:

I really like this creative MOC of an extraordinary machine!

After reading your descriptions and watching the video I still have some questions:

- What's the purpose of the gearbox? Are there different driving speeds? (Like in official 42114 (???))

- What happens after the ejection, i.e. when the linear actuator's full extension? I assume the linear actuator will stall - and because it's connected to the propulsion, the whole vehicle will stop, wouldn't it?

Edit: Oh, I just checked rebrickable: The ejector moves forward and backward. How did you manage to achieve this periodic movement?

I have just completed this MOC - an interesting build and use of the available parts - my hope that Eric could solve the gooseneck problem I was unable to solve in my efforts was disappointed as this one is rigid in the vertical plane. Definitely looks good and great attention to detail. 

To answer your queries - as far as I can see there is only one speed regardless of what the Control+ screen indicates (!, 2, D).

Alas, when the ejector reaches its limit the rear wheels lock up, and only reversing the scraper (seldom done in real life) will return it, or using the manual option.

Wonder if Eric will do something similar in CADA with no part restrictions at some stage. Truly hope so!

Edited by Ric079
omitted manual option

On 1/30/2024 at 1:25 PM, Timewhatistime said:

The gearbox has the same functions as in the base model. The most important reason why I used it is the fact that the model works with the original application and there is no need to build complicated PU profiles.

When the ejector is in extreme positions, the rear axle stops. Thats why I add neutral position/gear. I know it's not a perfect solution. It would be good to put the clutch there, but there were no suitable bricks and enough space. This is a simple additional function that I managed to create. To achieve realistic ejector operation, I would have to place an additional motor there, which the 42114 does not have.

On 2/5/2024 at 12:04 AM, Ric079 said:

I have just completed this MOC - an interesting build and use of the available parts - my hope that Eric could solve the gooseneck problem I was unable to solve in my efforts was disappointed as this one is rigid in the vertical plane. Definitely looks good and great attention to detail.

Wonder if Eric will do something similar in CADA with no part restrictions at some stage. Truly hope so!

The gooseneck is not perfect, but I managed to strengthen it enough that it works and looks realistic. I would probably build it differently if it wasn't an alternative model. However, I am so satisfied with it that I decided to publish the model. This machine could be built much better if it were pure MOC. Then I can put all the functions needed and significantly improve the way ho it looks. However, I decided that many more people would want to build Scraper if it will be an alternative model :)

There is no chance that this machine will appear as a CADA set. LEGO currently has a CAT license, so it's not possible.

Edited by eric trax

As an alternative build for 42114 this is brilliant and if you ever decide to pure MOC it, I would certainly be a starter. In a previous life I was more familiar with the Terex TS-14, a rather smaller beast also with twin engines, hence the interest in creating a working model. My build is on the shelf beside the Liebherr 776 dozer and your skid steer, so am definitely a fan for your designs.