I'm sure like many other  builders, I have been enamored with the 15 wide car scale ever since the 42098 Car Transporter came out. I have enjoyed all sorts of little cars by so many different designers, and have made a couple of them myself. The little axle base engines have been fun to see develop in many different applications, and make a great sound. Plus, being not too part intensive makes for a lot of accessible builds.

As a longtime Porsche fan, I have longed to MOC some of their cars, but I have not been able to come up with a decent Boxer engine, which is key. @steph77 came up with a nice little design with a 911 designed a while ago, but I wanted another idea.

I first came up with a little idea, but it did not save any space from the standard piston parts. And, visually, my eyes were drawn to the crankshaft and mounting, and not to the pistons.

800x600.jpeg

But I liked the rotating connectors. So after a little more tinkering, I came up with this:

800x600.jpg

There are three cams on the crankshaft, and an upper pivot for each "piston." Each piston is mounted on the connectors, and swings in and out, as the crankshaft rotates. It's not perfect, but the size is right, and it makes a nice little racket while moving.

Naturally, I needed to build a car for the motor. A 911 will happen at sometime, but there are not many Boxsters/Caymans out there, and I have a deep love for both. Also, after building the E30 series last year, I thought another car group would be fun. 

I stared with a simple mockup, with the engine in place and some other functions, and I like what I had enough to keep going. Steering with HOG is in, as is the rear differential.

800x600.jpeg

Then I realized I would need to have a convertible top. This may have been a step too far. I worked on a number of mechanisms using the draft table below. I think this is draft 3 of 8.

800x600.jpeg

The top is still not finalized, and might not be for a while. But I have enough of the placement of engine, axles, bodywork, to know the constraints I have for the top. I'll get there, but it may take some time. The idea is to have the HOG on the armrest when the top is down, and manually extended by an axle through the roof when it is up.

I tend to build a Studio file when everything is done, but this project is requiring a little more design/redesign, so I have a couple of drafts in Studio now.

800x600.png

And this is where the "final" draft currently stands. I'm not sure about the roll bars right now. I love the look, but the part is a little rare.

800x600.jpg

We'll see where this goes. Not everything is working great yet, so if I can't figure it out, maybe I'll just end with only a completed Cayman.

I welcome your questions, comments, and insults.

Edited by Thirdwigg

1 hour ago, Thirdwigg said:

first came up with a little idea, but it did not save any space from the standard piston parts.

I'm working right now on something similar, just using for crankshaft 2L halfbeams. Idea also was to use bars and axle pin perpenducular connector. Bar would go trough axle hole, so it can oscilate. But that woud be hard oscilation, I suppose. Then it is somehow smaller. Already pretty long time I want to build that small GT3RS, but, most probably not in that transporter size.

Anyway, your boxer is coming together pretty well.

8 hours ago, Jurss said:

I'm working right now on something similar, just using for crankshaft 2L halfbeams. Idea also was to use bars and axle pin perpenducular connector. Bar would go trough axle hole, so it can oscilate. But that woud be hard oscilation, I suppose. Then it is somehow smaller. Already pretty long time I want to build that small GT3RS, but, most probably not in that transporter size.

Anyway, your boxer is coming together pretty well.

Interesting idea. Do you have a photo of the current stage. I would be interested to see if I can incorporate some ideas.

Yeah, the long term idea is to do a tiny GT3 RS, but I want the engine idea to be sound first.

On 1/27/2024 at 2:11 PM, vascolp said:

Very cool!

Would two of these 71708.t1.pngmake good roll bars?

They might. Let me give them a try, and I'll post an update.

13 hours ago, Jurss said:

Classic bent flexaxle? 

I'll try it, but I tend to stay away from Flexaxles if I can.

2 hours ago, Rebel_Lego said:

Or maybe 42867? Don't know if they're available in lbg though

I can't find this piece in Bricklink. Is the number correct?

7 hours ago, Rebel_Lego said:

I'm sorry it is 48267, it is the tooth piece

Got it, thanks. Yeah, I have thought about that part too, but I have not yet found a way to mount it that I like.

Alright, the Boxster is finished!

53615777463_5c1504914d_b.jpg

The nose is a little off, and the area around the mirror could use some work, but I'm pleased with the overall look, and the functions that were implemented.

Features:

• Steering with HOG
  • Opening doors, bonnet, and rear deck
  • Rear with drive with Flat 6 engine
  • Convertible top
  • Front storage for HOG extender or rollbars
  • Lime!

53616018455_69967e9a27_b.jpg

Also, I wish I was able to round the rear a little better ...

53614698372_7cb7318ea4_b.jpg

53615777358_d715261994_b.jpg

53616018450_ed483cec9a_b.jpg

53616018440_eba9c74853_b.jpg

And a little video.

I have a draft of the Cayman, which will be finished when 42196 is released. The Boxster needs an orange partner.

I hope you all enjoy.

On 3/28/2024 at 8:59 AM, gyenesvi said:

That convertible top is pretty cute! Nice work.

Thanks again. It's not a great top, but it's better than nothing.