Clone OPatra

Disney Properties 2024 - Rumors & Discussion

It looks beautiful. It will be a day one for me. It's just nice to have a sort of "one stop shop" for Snow White in this set which as other have pointed out, is really only missing the Evil Queen, Huntsman, and Magic Mirror but two of those are currently available via CMF. It does make me hope we get more sets like this for other films but I don't think my budget would be able to handle so many sets like this.

22 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Probably one of the most complete packages in TLG's history! Not many sets out there that include the entire cast of a movie minus one character (or two, if you count the magic mirror) :laugh: I'm pretty happy with the animals included, even though I wouldn't have said no to more rabbits and squirrels! 

And at least the Queen and Mirror were in a relatively recent CMF (still on shelves in a few places), and not locked behind a really expensive set.

19 hours ago, hikouki said:

Lego is probably also testing the waters - comparing the sales of this item (based on a classic) with the much-maligned clamshell (based on the modernized/ retelling of a classic.)

To me the issue with the clamshell is not so much which movie version it was based on, but that the object itself is not related to the films. It's trying something new, to come up with a way to string various scenes and characters together, but the end result requires so many pieces to go into the gimmick, that it feels like you lose the characters and scenes that it was supposed to showcase. And it feels like the play possibilities are somewhat surpressed in this compared to many other sets, which puts people off buying it even more. I might get it if it were at 50% off, but even then, I'm not sure I'd want it, which is a shame.

19 hours ago, Yoggington said:

Eeep, the roof looks a hot mess (imo) and with it taking up so much of the model on display it's a hard pass for me. The original submission had a much better balance. A few nice parts though, hopefully enough of them make it to PAB.

I'm hoping that it's the style of photo and that it will look better in real life. It also feels overdone to me too.

6 hours ago, Jarreth2 said:

@nicknack116 .. yeah I can see the hinge too .. I also think that there may be a roof section that unclips to reveal the bedroom .. but they don’t tend to show that sort of thing on the box ( I don’t think ? ) 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit .. in fact of course the whole bedroom section is enclosed .. looking at all the pics .. both large sections of ‘thatch’ cover the bedroom .. they’re on the front of the box. d’oh ! 😂

But now I’ve just realised which way the hinge operates .. it ‘opens away from the viewer’ rather than towards ! So the back is flat and open. 

I'd very interested to see what it looks like from the front when hinged back. You're revealing the internal wall at that point, and it looks like it's all just space, so will look very strange indeed. I wonder why they didn't go for the style of the Winter Village Santa's Visit, that achieves a lovely front with great access to all the internal stuff.

It's still pretty funny to me that a set based on the very first feature-length animated film - that made Disney into what it is today - was not released as part of the 100 year anniversary, but rather a year later :laugh: Sure, there were certainly some strategic decisions behind that (like releasing the witch and the prince in other sets first to help with the budget), but it's still quite funny. This blows many other Disney sets out of the water, and very easily so! 

I'm not saying it just yet, but there's a good chance this may become my new favourite Disney set (as in set based on a classic animated Disney film)!

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

To me the issue with the clamshell is not so much which movie version it was based on, but that the object itself is not related to the films. It's trying something new, to come up with a way to string various scenes and characters together, but the end result requires so many pieces to go into the gimmick, that it feels like you lose the characters and scenes that it was supposed to showcase. And it feels like the play possibilities are somewhat surpressed in this compared to many other sets, which puts people off buying it even more. I might get it if it were at 50% off, but even then, I'm not sure I'd want it, which is a shame.

Agree with those points.

But the Clamshell designer mentioned in an interview that they were featuring “the new” Little Mermaid which he eventually suggested will take the place of the original. 

I am not against featuring the remake. But fans will not buy large sets of a new movie because your audience are all still kids! LOL

Someone made a good point in the LOTR forum that kids who used to buy the small LOTR sets years ago, are now adults with jobs and their own money to buy the larger sets that have some sentimental value to them.

Case in point, you really can’t expect adult Little Mermaid fans to come buying products that feature the retelling that perhaps they haven’t quite ‘digested’ yet. Ditto Snow White remake.

End of the day, I’m very happy that Lego has decided to feature the classic Snow White Disney movie. This is going to be a ‘Disney Rivendell’ of sorts.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

It's still pretty funny to me that a set based on the very first feature-length animated film - that made Disney into what it is today - was not released as part of the 100 year anniversary, but rather a year later :laugh: Sure, there were certainly some strategic decisions behind that (like releasing the witch and the prince in other sets first to help with the budget), but it's still quite funny. This blows many other Disney sets out of the water, and very easily so! 

I'm not saying it just yet, but there's a good chance this may become my new favourite Disney set (as in set based on a classic animated Disney film)!

Clamshell was released during the 100th celebrations but without the 100th branding. Turned out to be a good decision after it ended being the flop that it was. LOL

But I also agree with your point, and this could have been their crown jewel! But we don’t know what economic / strategic or political decisions Lego made that led them not to release this earlier.

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Even while they do release multiple big sets for some themes per year, they surely wanted the castle to be the major Disney 100 set and give it breathing room for sales.

I don't know why they aren't carrying on the Disney 100 branding for another year though. Feels like they might as well.

10 hours ago, Jarreth2 said:

I imagine lots of us will be adding and customising the set 😁

Wonder if the little baby rocket raccoon they did would fit in ? I know there’s a friends one too, but they eyes 🙄

The wash basin comes to mind since there's a whole song featuring that. Luckily that's an easy make.

I was looking up racoons as well. The friends one is way too cartoony. The baby Rocket Raccoon seems like it would fit in better and it's also a more accurate color being brown. Only thing is it doesn't have a white/light gray face like the ones from the movie. It's too bad we didn't get Meeko with Pocahontas.

4 hours ago, jjr_2009 said:

it's a shame they couldn't find a way to include the staircase, but I get it--staircases take up a lot of space and pieces, and there is already a lot going on here.

I agree, I wish they had included that. Especially since the staircase in the movie isn't just ornamental but has an entire scene set on the stairs as the dwarfs are afraid of going up to see the "monster" sleeping in their beds. I've noticed Lego doesn't include staircases as often now in their playsets, which is a pity, since it takes away from the dollhouse experience. The Up house has the same problem with no stairs.

The fact that they are releasing this now clearly indicates there wont be a set based on the live action next year. Lets remember the live action was going to be released on march 2024. THIS is the tied-in set they had planned.

And Im not surprised after the Little Mermaid 2023 underperformed at the box office. Pinocchio and Peter Pan were not exactly praised either. 

Overall I feel there is a oversaturation of Disney live action remakes and people are over them which doesnt bode well for Snow White, Hercules and Moana. 

34 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Overall I feel there is a oversaturation of Disney live action remakes and people are over them which doesnt bode well for Snow White, Hercules and Moana. 

I‘m not usually rooting against movies since so many people put hard work into them, but I‘m glad the live-action remakes seem to be on the way out :laugh: None of them were terrible IMO, but also nowhere as iconic and memorable as their animated counterparts :tongue:

The only potential loss I could see in terms of LEGO sets is that they might not release tie-in sets they otherwise would‘ve, but the classic animated movies are so popular, I‘m sure they‘ll sell well without indirect support from remakes or anniversary celebrations.

I mean, this year alone we‘ll have the Snow White cottage, the buildable Stitch and Simba figures, plus the NBC and Sorcerer Mickey Ideas sets (and maybe the Maleficent dragon diorama and Donald Duck figures). Not bad at all for a non-anniversary year! :thumbup:

Seeing the detailed Snow White cottage and the large amount of figures it has, I wish the new Madrigal house set coming later this year has minifigures too (Mirabel, Luisa, Isabella, Bruno, Abuela and Antonio).

It has just been announced that Moana 2 is the next Disney animated film and is being released at the end of this year. I imagine we'll get more sets based on the franchise then.

5 minutes ago, Aramar said:

It has just been announced that Moana 2 is the next Disney animated film and is being released at the end of this year. I imagine we'll get more sets based on the franchise then.

The Moana film was originally a show. If they were making sets for the show they might be able to fast track them! 

1 hour ago, Soupperson1 said:

The Moana film was originally a show.

Flashbacks of Cinderella II/Tarzan and Jane/Atlantis: Milo's Return/Belle's Magical World

Oh, goodie...

9 hours ago, Aramar said:

Seeing the detailed Snow White cottage and the large amount of figures it has, I wish the new Madrigal house set coming later this year has minifigures too (Mirabel, Luisa, Isabella, Bruno, Abuela and Antonio).

Minidolls, probably.

5 hours ago, Aramar said:

Minidolls as well, probably.

5 hours ago, Aramar said:

I can't believe they are releasing Moana 2 in November and then a few months later the Moana live action

Is Moana really that much of a hit? 

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

I can't believe they are releasing Moana 2 in November and then a few months later the Moana live action

Moana was the most streamed film of 2023 across all streaming platforms. It is very much a hit.

After the dreadful box office for their 100th year, I see this as Disney really clinging to sequels, remakes, and reboots until their coffers are large enough to take a risk on more original stories again. And I would be more than happy to help if they chose to put out some quality Lego minifigure sets on some older IPs if they are so inclined.

27 minutes ago, OttoRiver said:

Moana was the most streamed film of 2023 across all streaming platforms. It is very much a hit.

After the dreadful box office for their 100th year, I see this as Disney really clinging to sequels, remakes, and reboots until their coffers are large enough to take a risk on more original stories again. And I would be more than happy to help if they chose to put out some quality Lego minifigure sets on some older IPs if they are so inclined.

It seems like after every film of theirs flopped last year, minus GOTG Vol. 3, they're desperate for a surefire hit so they just took their Moana streaming show and packaged the episodes together into a film. Apparently the animation wasn't even done at Disney but was sent out to another studio in Vancouver because it was never meant to be a feature film. I don't think it's a coincidence that this has been announced after Wish was one of their biggest flops and their previous animated film scheduled for 2024 has been delayed if not cancelled.

It's not just Moana's sequel, they've also announced dates for Frozen 3 and Zootopia 2. And keep in mind that a few months back they also confirmed that Frozen 4 is in the works as well. Disney is in dire straits so they're doubling down on sequels to their hits, the same way Toy Story 5 was announced after Pixar's films started flopping/underperforming. Word on the street is they're trying to get Brad Bird back for Incredibles 3.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

In theaters it only made as much as Big Hero 6 did, around $600 million and was eclipsed by the earlier release of Zootopia which was their $1 billion film. 2016 was a very lucrative year for Disney between Rogue One, Finding Dory, Captain America: Civil War, Zootopia, and The Jungle Book, which were the top five grossing movies of the year and all billion dollar hits (or in Jungle Book's case, very close to a billion). So Moana got lost that year amongst Disney's releases but as pointed out, it's been a streaming favorite.

For the last few years, it's always been in the top ten most streamed movies, usually at the top or #1. Even the first Frozen doesn't rank as high as Moana, especially after Frozen II came and went and sorta damaged the brand despite its box office success. Frozen merchandise, while still popular, also isn't selling as well as it used to especially when it comes to merchandise from the second movie. The funny thing about Moana is that while it's one of the most streamed movies and I hear stories all the time about how popular it is with young children who rewatch it over and over, I don't think it's a huge merchandise seller. It sells enough to make Moana be included in the Disney Princess franchise, but she's not a top selling princess like Rapunzel who is one of the most popular princesses in terms of merchandise but her film isn't as popular as Frozen or Moana. There were brief talks for a Tangled sequel but Disney claimed they couldn't figure out a story of what to do next.

12 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

It seems like after every film of theirs flopped last year, minus GOTG Vol. 3, they're desperate for a surefire hit so they just took their Moana streaming show and packaged the episodes together into a film. Apparently the animation wasn't even done at Disney but was sent out to another studio in Vancouver because it was never meant to be a feature film. I don't think it's a coincidence that this has been announced after Wish was one of their biggest flops and their previous animated film scheduled for 2024 has been delayed if not cancelled.

It's not just Moana's sequel, they've also announced dates for Frozen 3 and Zootopia 2. And keep in mind that a few months back they also confirmed that Frozen 4 is in the works as well. Disney is in dire straits so they're doubling down on sequels to their hits, the same way Toy Story 5 was announced after Pixar's films started flopping/underperforming. Word on the street is they're trying to get Brad Bird back for Incredibles 3.

In theaters it only made as much as Big Hero 6 did, around $600 million and was eclipsed by the earlier release of Zootopia which was their $1 billion film. 2016 was a very lucrative year for Disney between Rogue One, Finding Dory, Captain America: Civil War, Zootopia, and The Jungle Book, which were the top five grossing movies of the year and all billion dollar hits (or in Jungle Book's case, very close to a billion). So Moana got lost that year amongst Disney's releases but as pointed out, it's been a streaming favorite.

For the last few years, it's always been in the top ten most streamed movies, usually at the top or #1. Even the first Frozen doesn't rank as high as Moana, especially after Frozen II came and went and sorta damaged the brand despite its box office success. Frozen merchandise, while still popular, also isn't selling as well as it used to especially when it comes to merchandise from the second movie. The funny thing about Moana is that while it's one of the most streamed movies and I hear stories all the time about how popular it is with young children who rewatch it over and over, I don't think it's a huge merchandise seller. It sells enough to make Moana be included in the Disney Princess franchise, but she's not a top selling princess like Rapunzel who is one of the most popular princesses in terms of merchandise but her film isn't as popular as Frozen or Moana. There were brief talks for a Tangled sequel but Disney claimed they couldn't figure out a story of what to do next.

The tangled series was surprisingly well thought out for a disney channel show with great lore. I think because of that it’s too late for a tangled sequel. I wouldn’t be surprised if they turned the Tiana series into PATF 2, since most disney plus originals have flopped. For how popular rapunzel is I’m shocked we haven’t gotten a high end tower set yet! 

On 2/5/2024 at 6:28 AM, hikouki said:

The only thing new in this set are the prints and the beard for the dwarves.

Three of the dwarves have also a new hat piece.

1 hour ago, stroud1492 said:

The tangled series was surprisingly well thought out for a disney channel show with great lore. I think because of that it’s too late for a tangled sequel.

What I remember reading about the Tangled sequel, because I can't find the link now, is that it was considered after the original movie's success because although it was the most expensive movie of all time when it debuted, it was also Disney's biggest hit since Tarzan more than a decade prior (Dinosaur and Chicken Little were box office successes but critical failures and while Lilo & Stitch was a success, it was a smaller film so a smaller hit). But when there was no story for a sequel, that's how it ended up as a TV series instead.

On 2/7/2024 at 9:51 AM, BrickBob Studpants said:

I mean, this year alone we‘ll have the Snow White cottage, the buildable Stitch and Simba figures, plus the NBC and Sorcerer Mickey Ideas sets (and maybe the Maleficent dragon diorama and Donald Duck figures). Not bad at all for a non-anniversary year! :thumbup:

Is there an estimated release date for that Target Ideas set? 

There's also the Inside Out 2 set although it looks like we may not get any minifigs for that.

3 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

Three of the dwarves have also a new hat piece.

Yeah, I didn’t realise it was a new piece until the reveal of the Medieval Town Square! I just assumed it was the swimming cap, but this is much better of course :thumbup:

On 2/7/2024 at 11:46 PM, JeanGreyForever said:

I see this more as a weakness than a strength

If it is a movie people are used to watch on Disney+, why would they go to the theather and pay extra money for something they will have on their streaming service a few months later? Even more knowing this "movie" is actually a bunch of episodes from a series mashed together and they were getting it for "free" with their subscription to begin with  

Anyway, cant wait for the Maleficent set reveal

18 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

If it is a movie people are used to watch on Disney+, why would they go to the theather and pay extra money for something they will have on their streaming service a few months later? Even more knowing this "movie" is actually a bunch of episodes from a series mashed together and they were getting it for "free" with their subscription to begin with  

I think yes and no. Unlike many other streaming favorites such as Encanto or Elemental which came out in the middle of the big streaming vs. theaters war happening right now, Moana came out in 2016 when streaming wasn't as massive. It could be interpreted as Moana being viewed that much is people watching a favorite movie of theirs over and over (saying this as someone who watches the 1989 Little Mermaid at least twice a month...no judgment) Disney could be banking then on people who saw the original going to see the sequel with their kids or others and if Disney stresses or delays a streaming release could drive up sizable tickets for what I am imagining is a shoe string budget.

I did however realize that it releases the same day as Wicked and I'm pretty sure this will go the same way as Winnie the Pooh releasing the same day as Deathly Hallows Part 2 and be absolutely annihilated no matter what. 

10 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Disney+ has definitely trained audiences to not bother watching their movies in theaters and wait for them to stream for free. It's partly why last year all of their films failed minus GOTG Vol 3. So much for Disney's 100th anniversary. 

That being said, some of those films which failed were original IPs which audiences have no connections to that would induce them to go to the theater and pay to see. The children who keep streaming Moana year after year are the target audience for the sequel and will probably tell their parents they want to watch this film when they see trailers and advertising. So I guess it comes down to how many of those families will bother to go and how many will just wait at home for the Disney+ release. Another factor is that many families have lost trust in Disney, which has been evident in their last few animated movies flopping, so I do know that some don't even feel it's safe to take their kids to watch a Disney movie anymore and others wait to stream it themselves before showing it to their children. Bob Iger, the hack himself, admitted that this was a mistake on Disney's part so we'll see if they can win back audience trust or if they've lost it for good.

The Maleficent set having a lower piece count worries me a little. 

9 hours ago, OttoRiver said:

I did however realize that it releases the same day as Wicked and I'm pretty sure this will go the same way as Winnie the Pooh releasing the same day as Deathly Hallows Part 2 and be absolutely annihilated no matter what. 

I don't think Wicked is that big of a threat, certainly not in the vein of Harry Potter. Movie musicals seem to be a hit or miss these days and much of the hype for a Wicked film was in the last decade. The decision to split it into two movies has also been controversial because audiences can see it's a blatant cash grab.

4 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

The Maleficent set having a lower piece count worries me a little. 

Someone on the LOTR forum posted that the budget cuts for the Medieval Town Square should worry us...

He has a point.

Sometimes I don’t think we can make heads or tails of how the Lego group / designers make their decisions. Remember the survey leak of 23 ( I like how this seems to be an event in lego history now 😁 ) .. how Rivendell sort of leaked at the same time, that blurry image and some people were saying - there’s no way we’re gonna get all those minifigures .. but we did .. and .. there’s no way it’s gonna look like that, that will be the concept design .. but it did look like that.

Then there was the Snow White Cottage .. possibly the leak was meant to be based on the live action .. thank goodness the catastrophe regarding the film changed their minds on this .. but I’m happy that we’re getting the set we are, is it perfect, probably not .. but I always figured Lego would only put in the ‘required’ minifigures .. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs .. but we got two more than we bargained for. I do think this is gonna sell reeeeallly well.

I think IF they dum down Baradur they wont see the sales that Rivendell saw .. people will buy it for sure but who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Jarreth2