Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2024 - Rumors & Discussion

12 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Didn't she already come in this outfit in the previous Beauxbatons set?

10 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Yes

Uh, no, she did not. 

She was in this outfit in the last set. 

_20200406_102223

Fleur also wears the Beauxbatons jacket, as Gabrielle was wearing in the original post at times. 

ce50d5885966e8d6e7a32c2ebe298bce

Since we're talking about Gabrielle, I'll mention something I meant to share last year re: the Second Task set. The Gabrielle minifig from the previous Beauxbatons set had a face option showing her eyes closed. Using that Gabrielle minifig with closed eyes works nicely for display of the Second Task set. If you put Garbielle rather than Hermoine in the floating chain, you can depict the moment when Krum has swum off with Hermoine (I put them on the ladder) and Harry is faced with only Ron and Gabrielle remaining. This removes the need for characters missing from the Second Task set (Fleur, Cedric, Cho) since they are no longer in the scene at that point.

8 minutes ago, Xenophilius said:

Since we're talking about Gabrielle, I'll mention something I meant to share last year re: the Second Task set. The Gabrielle minifig from the previous Beauxbatons set had a face option showing her eyes closed. Using that Gabrielle minifig with closed eyes works nicely for display of the Second Task set. If you put Garbielle rather than Hermoine in the floating chain, you can depict the moment when Krum has swum off with Hermoine (I put them on the ladder) and Harry is faced with only Ron and Gabrielle remaining. This removes the need for characters missing from the Second Task set (Fleur, Cedric, Cho) since they are no longer in the scene at that point.

Except, the clothes she wears in the 2019-Beauxbatons-set are not what she wears in the second-task scene.

Gabrielle is a very niche character. In 2019 I remember many casual fans not remembering who she was until reminded that she’s Fleur’s sister who went under the lake. I didn’t remember what her outfit for the second task looked like before seeing the image and I’ll be honest and say I have no recollection of ever having seen that arrival outfit. It must’ve been onscreen for like 10 seconds or something (revisiting the scene, it’s actually onscreen for about 9 seconds and half of that is just her arm visible on the edge of a closeup, followed by it being kind of visible in the background of a 2 second shot of the Durmstrang kids entering, so my guess was close). Meanwhile the jacketed look isn’t particularly distinct from the outfit represented in the last set which featured her. What most people remember about the scene in this set are the main students entering in the uniforms we saw in 2019. I’d bet that even being generous, 90% of the people who are in the market for this set won’t remember that Gabrielle had a different outfit from the rest of the students. 

I’d like to see Gabrielle’s arrival outfit represented but just look at everything else we need for this set. A new torso print for Karkaroff, possibly a new head, and possibly a new hat. At least one new torso print for the Durmstrang students and again possibly a new hat. Madame Maxime has been out of production for a bit or they might want a new variant so that probably means a new dress, torso, and face print. I would guess that the old Beauxbatons torso, legs, and hat have been out of production too. All of that stuff definitely takes priority over Gabrielle. They may also want to use this opportunity to make a specific face that looks more like Fleur which was a criticism of the old figures, just like they made a new specific face for Krum last year.  This could also be their opportunity to make a Gambon Dumbledore for the first time since 2019, which would require a lot of new prints. 

So I’d be down for a scene specific Gabrielle but it’s not something I’m expecting to see and I won’t be disappointed if it doesn’t happen. There’s too much other stuff in the set which is more important for Lego to focus on than a minor variant with less than a minute of screentime for a minor character. 

So this is obviously a little further into the future than this year’s sets, but pictures of the first couple of 25th anniversary branded Star Wars sets recently dropped and it got me thinking about Harry Potter’s own anniversary of that same milestone being just a couple years out. 

The thing I really noticed is that Lego has changed tactics on the exclusive anniversary figs. The 20th anniversary figs were main characters with a gimmick (throwbacks for Star Wars, gold for Harry Potter) that ultimately meant the new figs were exclusively display pieces unable to integrate with regular minifigures in sets or MOCs. But for the Star Wars 25th lego seems to be pulling out all the stops and making the anniversary figs fairly detailed characters or variants that might otherwise be impossible to include in sets (for example, the player character from the Jedi: Fallen Order video game is supposedly the exclusive figure for the upcoming Death Star set). 

With that in mind, I’m wondering what it might look like if Harry Potter got the same treatment for its own 25th anniversary. If nothing else, it would be the perfect opportunity to finally give us Peeves. 

28 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

With that in mind, I’m wondering what it might look like if Harry Potter got the same treatment for its own 25th anniversary. If nothing else, it would be the perfect opportunity to finally give us Peeves. 

I wouldn´t count to much on them to make this happen in the same way since every anniversary the design teams of the respective theme will decide on their own what kind of figs (if they even do them, they could aswell make something else instead) they will add. However since the Star Wars Team made those figs it is ofc possible that they say cool, lets make this for Harry Potter - but I am honestly not sure if Harry Potter has that many Figures that are still missing and in the same place Iconic enough to get displayed - if we are talking about the film Figures only. Especially since there will be some Sets in the meantime till that Date and it would surprise me if Narcissa Malfoy would still have no Minifig till then.

That beeing said, with Star Wars they concentrated on Minifigures that would without this inclusion would likely never have become an own Figure which in the case of Harry Potter leaves not that many that recommended Characters in the end IMO.

11 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

but I am honestly not sure if Harry Potter has that many Figures that are still missing and in the same place Iconic enough to get displayed - if we are talking about the film Figures only. 

I mean, the entire reason I’m even thinking so much about this is that this clearly isn’t a film only thing. Of the two anniversary Star Wars figs revealed, neither has ever appeared in the movies - one has only appeared in the cartoons and the other is from video games. And as I already said, another of the rumored characters is also video game exclusive. 

And while there’s no guarantee that lego will celebrate a future anniversary with exclusive figs, it’s a safe bet since minifigures are more individually collectible than any other lego element. If their tactic of including niche characters and variants goes over well with Star Wars, then I don’t see why the Harry Potter designer wouldn’t try the same thing with their theme – especially since they’re already going out of their way to give us some more obscure characters. And with no visual media off the table I could easily think of a wave’s worth of characters that would make fun minifigs. Celestina Warbeck has made appearances at the theme parks and in Hogwarts Mystery, Phineas Black has now made an appearance in Hogwarts Legacy to compensate for being cut from the movies, portrait only characters like the Fat Lady or Sir Cadogan would definitely generate some interest, and while Fantastic Beasts never got off the ground as it’s own theme - Young Dumbledore and Nagini would probably be well received by fans on their own, not to mention Peeves and Binns. And that’s not even getting into game exclusive characters, or even niche characters/variants from the main movies that are unlikely to make it into sets like Auntie Muriel or Krum in his quidditch robes. 

4 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

I mean, the entire reason I’m even thinking so much about this is that this clearly isn’t a film only thing. Of the two anniversary Star Wars figs revealed, neither has ever appeared in the movies - one has only appeared in the cartoons and the other is from video games. And as I already said, another of the rumored characters is also video game exclusive. 

There is a difference in the licencing of Star Wars and Harry Potter though - we know they only have the rights for the Films and while displaying Figures from the Fantastic Beasts Films shouldn´t be that much of a problem I don´t see them including Figures from Hogwarts Legacy.

I think you could be onto something there. Characters who appeared in Hogwarts Legacy like Peeves, Professor Weasley and Phineas Black could definitely be included as anniversary figures. (Similar to how Cal Kentish and Malak were included). The Marauders from their school days would also be a good shout. You’ve also got Tom Riddle when he was still in the Orphanage, Professor Dippet, Nicholas Flamel, Tom the barkeeper, the Peverell brothers, Bathilda Bagshot, Gregorovich etc. 

Come to think of it there’s loads of yet unmade characters that could fit. 

9 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

There is a difference in the licencing of Star Wars and Harry Potter though - we know they only have the rights for the Films and while displaying Figures from the Fantastic Beasts Films shouldn´t be that much of a problem I don´t see them including Figures from Hogwarts Legacy.

I mean, even if Lego’s current contract does only cover the WB movies and not the WB owned games for some reason, both parties will be looking to renegotiate that with the upcoming Max show in the works anyway, so…

@Tariq j I didn’t even think of Flamel or Bagshot! Both are immediately recognizable names as they played small but very pivotal roles in the main plots of the first and final movies respectively, and they both have official movie appearances but will 100% never appear normally in a set. They’d be perfect as special celebration minifigures. 

Epilogue Ron and Hermione would be another option.

Also, in terms of rights, I'm pretty sure Waner Bros owns everything Harry Potter except for the original books, which are owned by JK Rowling and various publishers in different countries. Hogwarts Legacy and the other video games are WB, and I believe they have the rights to Cursed Child as well. Even if these aren't included in the contract with Lego, they should be able to change that. I think what it comes down to is whether Lego and WB think something like this would increase sales.

I’m not sure if I like the idea, as SW is a very different beast. With SW, there are just so many movies, shows, games, books, and comics to pull fan-favourite characters from. While HP is a big franchise too, its niche characters just don’t have the same draw :shrug_oh_well:

For instance, Malak and Fives are awesome characters, and even if you have no idea who they are, at least they look cool. I doubt the same can be said about many of the niche HP characters like Nicholas Flamel. To a non-fan, he’s just an old frail dude :laugh:

There may be exceptions, but I think a lot of the candidates for such figures would look pretty lame to most customers unless they happen to recognise them.

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

21 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I’m not sure if I like the idea, as SW is a very different beast. With SW, there are just so many movies, shows, games, books, and comics to pull fan-favourite characters from. While HP is a big franchise too, its niche characters just don’t have the same draw :shrug_oh_well:

For instance, Malak and Fives are awesome characters, and even if you have no idea who they are, at least they look cool. I doubt the same can be said about many of the niche HP characters like Nicholas Flamel. To a non-fan, he’s just an old frail dude :laugh:

There may be exceptions, but I think a lot of the candidates for such figures would look pretty lame to most customers unless they happen to recognise them.

Totally agree. Harry Potter’s expanded universe isn’t half as popular as Star Wars’ is in general and the LEGO HP collectors aren’t even slightly as invested in the EU as Star Wars fans are. For example I’m someone who has bought most of these sets and probably made hundreds of posts here and elsewhere about this line and honestly I still haven’t watched that last FB movie and wouldn’t really care about a figure from it. Taking young Dumbledore as an example, he’s really just a guy in a suit. Most of the missing characters/variants I can think of are just normal looking people in normal clothes that wouldn’t really be cool for people not interested (unlike the Sith and special clones from Star Wars). And for those of you who are interested, will you buy for example a $100 downgraded remake of a set you already own just to get whatever that figure is?

43 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Taking young Dumbledore as an example, he’s really just a guy in a suit.

Exactly my point. I‘m not saying the costume department did a bad job, but why do so many wizards in the FB movies wear normal 30s muggle clothes even in environments where they don‘t have to blend in? What inspired Dumbledore to completely change his wardrobe between SoD and the flashback in HBP? :laugh_hard: 

So yeah, a lot of side characters would be unrecognisable and/or boring-looking to casual fans.

It randomly struck me while half awake this morning that since the Beauxbatons Carriage set in 2019 Lego has actually introduced a fabric piece that’s the exact same shape as the shall in their uniforms (in the Disney 100 cmf with both Cruella DeVil and Prince John). Now I’m wondering if Lego will reuse the old torso print or if we’ll get the blazer with the shall overtop. 

I am very curious about amount of parts they will spend on Beauxbatons Carriage and for the Durmstrang Ship. Carriage from 2019 was about 450 pieces, that leaves around 800 pieces for Durmstrang ship, maybe it will be created from very big pieces, since I don't believe that the new carriage will be less detailed than the one from 2019.

8 minutes ago, Jaromir said:

I am very curious about amount of parts they will spend on Beauxbatons Carriage and for the Durmstrang Ship. Carriage from 2019 was about 450 pieces, that leaves around 800 pieces for Durmstrang ship, maybe it will be created from very big pieces, since I don't believe that the new carriage will be less detailed than the one from 2019.

The original Drumstrang ship was actually pretty light on piece count because the hull was constructed from two very large molded pieces. Not sure if they’d do that again, but I can see the outer hull being fairly low on parts. It’s also worth noting that the 2019 Carriage was designed to open up in a similar way to the Newt’s Suitcase set since it’s canonically bigger on the inside. That led to a lot of extra detail which theoretically the new version might streamline. 

Original Beauxbaton carriage was actually a bit too large for my taste, so im lookign forward to seeing a smaller one. the new Hogwarts express is smaller than the previous one and looks wonderful.     Wouldnt suprise if new one only has one "horse".

This is the set I'm most looking forward to seeing this year... At the moment. A bit different to most other HP sets

13 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

And for those of you who are interested, will you buy for example a $100 downgraded remake of a set you already own just to get whatever that figure is?

You mean like the diagon alley sets? Definitely.

14 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Idk about that, there's plenty of visually interesting characters to pull from that both regular and hardcore fans could love. Like others have already mentioned there's Peeves and Professor Binns, which visually would definitely spice up Hogwarts Castle's current roster of inhabitants. Professor Kettleburn from Hogwarts Mystery is another one that jumps to mind. So far all characters that appeared in the books or were at least mentioned. There's also Winky if they find a way to allow for book designs (and even if not, she might have actually had a blink and you miss it background appearance like florean fortescue, if not the concept art), or a couple of cool Goblins like Gnarlak from fantastic beasts or Ranrok from Legacy.

But they could also go a different route if they wanted to (or rather if they're allowed to), like using some of the book designs of existing characters. I think most people who read them are very familiar with the design of Dumbledore on the back cover. Could make for an interesting variant, especially when paired with a special printed deluminator. Or even his infamous unknown original edition counterpart.

But leaving the books asside, as that's the least likely scenario, give us updated versions of the original pre movie design minifigures from the warner bros illustration guide. Modern looking, light nougat versions of purple robe Dumbledore, Glow in the Dark Snape (ofcourse this one not light nougat). Gryffindor Scarf Hagrid etc. That would really fit with such a celebration.

And with Jedi Bob returning, one couldn't help but think of 2001 Peeves.

They could also do some of the designs from the wizard cards. Even non Harry Potter fans would be interested in a Merlin figure for example. I mean the big Hogwarts Castle already did it with the founders, this wouldn't be too out of place either.

And let's be honest, to non fans of both Star Wars and Harry Potter, many of these already look more interesting than a Young Leia figure, and that didn't stop lego either (even though as a fan I'm definitely interested to get that character.)

9 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Idk about that, there's plenty of visually interesting characters to pull from that both regular and hardcore fans could love. Like others have already mentioned there's Peeves and Professor Binns, which visually would definitely spice up Hogwarts Castle's current roster of inhabitants. Professor Kettleburn from Hogwarts Mystery is another one that jumps to mind. So far all characters that appeared in the books or were at least mentioned. There's also Winky if they find a way to allow for book designs (and even if not, she might have actually had a blink and you miss it background appearance like florean fortescue, if not the concept art), or a couple of cool Goblins like Gnarlak from fantastic beasts or Ranrok from Legacy.

Dunno, to me Minifigures based on Hogwarts Legacy still seem unlikely. I mean, sure many have played it but how many of the kids Lego is aiming for really have done so?

9 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

They could also do some of the designs from the wizard cards. Even non Harry Potter fans would be interested in a Merlin figure for example. I mean the big Hogwarts Castle already did it with the founders, this wouldn't be too out of place either.

Hmm, but aside from Merlin, how many famous Wizards were shown on the cards in the films, that would be recognizable enough to get a minifigure? Dumbledore of course would make no sense because we already got plenty minifigures of him. Of course they could just use several sources for those figures. I would actually like a Sir Cardogan one 

The Sorting Hat has been officially revealed! The sound brick looks pretty interesting. A lot larger than I expected, and lavender? :laugh_hard:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

33 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The Sorting Hat has been officially revealed! The sound brick looks pretty interesting. A lot larger than I expected, and lavender? :laugh_hard:

The size doesn’t surprise me, you need both a speaker and a chip with enough memory and programming for 31 sound combinations - 4x4 and slightly more than a regular brick’s height is fairly believable. 

The lavender color though - well, Lego has a habit of making parts that are supposed to be covered up bright colors, but not normally that one. Maybe there’s going to be a semi-exposed sound brick in an upcoming Friends set? It’s the right color palette and that theme often has music focused sets. 

What I like is that it seems small enough to fit inside a plant pot. Perhaps the buildable Mandrake in the summer wave will actually scream?

I would have expected them to look more like the old sound bricks - especially colour wise I would have expected grey or something.

However I hope they use the printed housebanner tiles for other sets, would be a waste if they would only be used here. I would actually have loved to get printed nexoknight shields though.

Well, the polybag got revealed, it's Draco in the forbidden forest. Definitely the least interesting polybag so far, or at least in a while. Pretty much just an extension to 76432. I was really hoping it would include a random portrait. Oh well. With this being the second part of the forbidden forest in that style, I think it's save to assume we can expect the same thing from the Aragog set. But now I do wonder if that one will simply come with just Harry and maybe Fang. Collect all 3 and you'll get all 4 students.

28 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Well, the polybag got revealed, it's Draco in the forbidden forest. Definitely the least interesting polybag so far, or at least in a while. Pretty much just an extension to 76432. I was really hoping it would include a random portrait. Oh well. With this being the second part of the forbidden forest in that style, I think it's save to assume we can expect the same thing from the Aragog set. But now I do wonder if that one will simply come with just Harry and maybe Fang. Collect all 3 and you'll get all 4 students.

Yeah, it’s pretty meh as far as polybags go. They could have at least used the new grey smowl from the Owlery instead of the barn owl (which was already in the 2021 polybag). There aren’t even any of the glow elements that make the set it attaches to interesting. It’s not even using a different Draco torso from the Hagrid’s Hut set, so it’s not like there’s a possibility this is the only uniformed Draco we’ll see this year. For a theme that’s been otherwise good about putting at least something interesting for collectors in most sets over the last few years, it’s definitely a letdown.  The lack of collectible portrait is definitely a letdown. 

Do we know anything about a Gift with Purchase for this year?