Clone OPatra

Jurassic Properties 2024 - Rumors & Discussion

3 hours ago, Lion King said:

I just like idea of expanding Jurassic Park universe jsut like Harry Potter and Star Wars universes (Fantastic Beasts for Harry Potter, Han Solo, Rogue One for Star Wars).

so I’m not worried about new characters or settings in that new movie. I do not think it’s Jurassic World 4 anyways. 

Anyways, I’m really glad that we know we will get more sets and more new dinosaurs beyond 2024!

I believe they're called spin-offs lol, or soft reboot as some have said before, so thats good then i suppose, and i hope it turns out successful! 

I still can’t believe they haven’t done a thing for Battle at Big Rock set yet. I would understand that we might get the Lost World and JPIII sets later but not Battle at Big Rock?? 

46 minutes ago, Lion King said:

I still can’t believe they haven’t done a thing for Battle at Big Rock set yet. I would understand that we might get the Lost World and JPIII sets later but not Battle at Big Rock?? 

Given how TLG is not bound to anything in particular this year, A Battle at Big Rock set is something I'd pay good money for

13 hours ago, Lion King said:

That might be because it doesn't seem too marketable. A set based on a youtube short from 2019 that would have a campervan, an Allosaurus with minifigures being some generic family doesn't really sound like something general consumers would be that interested in. And also we have 2 movies from which we had no sets from (except for some studios sets from 23 years ago, which were like only accurate in concept) so TLG would more likely made sets from them before this. Maybe we could see a set based on that after that, but I don't really know. Especially when we could still be getting new movies. I could also see them doing something like with the CC sets, with including the JW characters while they are not accurate to the set.

5 hours ago, mantax said:

That might be because it doesn't seem too marketable. A set based on a youtube short from 2019 [...]

Exactly. Releasing a set based on a YT short would be an incredibly strange move :laugh:

Looks like we are finally gonna get a different Dino mould in the magazine, the medium raptor!

12 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Looks like we are finally gonna get a different Dino mould in the magazine, the medium raptor!

I guess it will be the same like in 76963: Baby Dinosaur Rescue Center?

48 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

I guess it will be the same like in 76963: Baby Dinosaur Rescue Center?

So just the beta mold?

43 minutes ago, Time Dragon said:

So just the beta mold?

That is what the medium raptor would be for me, yeah. Still very good for the magazine IMO, since I can´t remember getting any other dinosaur in the magazines than the baby raptor.

Not really concerning the sets, but David Leitch has dropped out of the negotiations rather quickly due to creative differences.

The worrying part of this news is that Universal isn't actually looking for an artist to make a cool movie, but a shooter to fast-forward its production.

Get ready for more generic, soulless films. :moar:

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

36 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Get ready for more generic, soulless films. :moar:

Yeah, that doesn‘t exactly inspire confidence, but at least the sets will most likely be worthwhile! I mean, as flawed as JWFK and JWD were, the sets were awesome :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Yeah, that doesn‘t exactly inspire confidence, but at least the sets will most likely be worthwhile! I mean, as flawed as JWFK and JWD were, the sets were awesome :thumbup:

That's true, the Dominion wave was surprisingly huge. So many sets with a lot of different dinosaurs.

Still, I don't care about sets for movies that I don't, at the very least, like. Already sold all my Dominion sets (mind you, I've had only two of them), even though I thought they looked rather well on my display — but I still have all my Jurassic Park sets, one of which I've had since 2018.

I do think T-rex Rampage and T-Rex Breakout sets are hideous thanks to the buildable T-rexes. But other than that, I’m okay with the iconic gates and muddy trail dioramas. 

Minifigures are not always accurate so i don’t buy any singles but I only care for dinosaurus myself, period.

17 minutes ago, Lion King said:

I do think T-rex Rampage and T-Rex Breakout sets are hideous thanks to the buildable T-rexes. But other than that, I’m okay with the iconic gates and muddy trail dioramas. 

Minifigures are not always accurate so i don’t buy any singles but I only care for dinosaurus myself, period.

With the t-rex from the T-rex breakout I do agree, but the buildable T-rex form the T-rex rampage is an amazing build, both in design and posability.  like I could see some people not being the biggest fans of it, but to call it hideous feels a bit too much. Like I don't understand how you don't like it, but that is just your opinion and I can respect that I guess.

Controversial opionion, but I think the T. Rex diorama is the best Jurassic set by a long mile thanks to the buildable T. Rex.

Even more controversial — I wish all dinosaurs were brickbuilt. The moulds are inconsistent, the joints look horrible in some cases, the prints are totally random (example — there's a set with a Dilophosaurus which has claw and tooth printing, but the same sized Pyroraptor has neither), and the posability is extremely poor in some places.

4 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Controversial opionion, but I think the T. Rex diorama is the best Jurassic set by a long mile thanks to the buildable T. Rex.

Even more controversial — I wish all dinosaurs were brickbuilt. The moulds are inconsistent, the joints look horrible in some cases, the prints are totally random (example — there's a set with a Dilophosaurus which has claw and tooth printing, but the same sized Pyroraptor has neither), and the posability is extremely poor in some places.

The 2001 Dinosaurs theme says hello! Those brick built dinos were something ever Dr. Frankenstein would abhor. (in my opinion!)

Edited by Murdoch17

5 hours ago, Lion King said:

Honestly, I kinda disliked the Breakout set because of the buildable T-Rex and wished it would have been a moulded one - though its size would have been to small probably. Second issue are the stickers ofc. So anyways I once saw it in a Lego store and since then I own it - some sets just look much better in reality than they do in pictures

The dinosaurs from that theme don't count as brick-built, in my opinion. They used a family of highly specialized pieces that may not have been individual to each particular dinosaur in every case, but they weren't building from basic parts like the T-rex in the JP T-rex Breakout set. I like the T-rex in that set, but I also like the modern molded T-rex. I like both molded and brick-built dinosaurs, so I'd be happy to see more sets like the Breakout set with brick-built dinosaurs aimed at adult builders - as long as that didn't sacrifice any spots in the product line for playsets with molded dinosaurs aimed at kids.

Edit - shortly after building the Breakout set I bought the JW:Dominion T-rex and Atrociraptor set so that I could have a choice of brick-built or molded T-rex in my JP T-rex Breakout. I like them both!

Edited by icm

I would say that dinosaurs from the older theme are considered as build-built because they have many parts than the modern molded ones. However, I agree with Jim - they are not made out of basic pieces.  

Personally I prefer the molded dinosaurs, i think they fit a lot better amongst the builds, figures, and other animal molds, i think with molding we can get more uniquely shaped bodies/heads at that smaller scale. Brick built is good too, but for this theme i believe the molded work better.

I would personally think that the best option for dinosaurs in Jurassic sets would be a mix of brick built an molded. Just like the Ninjago dragons or the creatures from Avatar. The dinosaurs would have molded heads and the rest of the body would have been brick built, with maybe some extra molds for other small details. That would also lower the cost of the sets and make the building proces a bit better I think. The only problem with that would be the fact that the dinosaurs in 4+ sets would look terrible, just like the 4+ ninjago dragons.

But I'm comletely fine with how the dinosaurs are, there is something about opening a set with big molded parts that I absolutely love.  

5 hours ago, AxolotlPlays said:

Personally I prefer the molded dinosaurs, i think they fit a lot better amongst the builds, figures, and other animal molds, i think with molding we can get more uniquely shaped bodies/heads at that smaller scale. Brick built is good too, but for this theme i believe the molded work better.

Agreed that big molded creatures blend with small molded ones (lion, elephant, alligator, Thersal, etc) easily, so it will look right to me. In good ol days, I used to have molded Fluffy, Baslisik, and Hungarian Horntail from Harry Potter, a giant frog-worm alien (i forgot what it is called, lol) from Star Wars. In my personal opinion, they looked amazing. There was a cave troll and giant eagles from 2012’s Lord of thee Rings and I wanted to have them but missed out.

Today, both buildable Fluffy and Baslisk are….meh  I had a brick buildable Hungarian Horntail from 2018 and I don’t like it immediately but I loved its molded head and wings.  Ninjago dragons look okay but just bulky and kinda blocky in my honest opinion. Plus, small pieces cold pop off buildable creatures  as they age or being used a few times. I could undertand that they have strict budget for Star Wars, Harry Potter, Avatar and Ninjago when it comes to big molded ones and they have to stick to building them out of basic pieces. Sure, buildable creatures can be posable. Sure, molded creatures are not that much. Sure ones are not printed right like Dilo has teeth and claws printed but not Pyro. But buildable creatures have their own flaws too. 

Since there are no molded dragon (except for baby Riyu from Ningo and  baby Nobert from Harry Potter), Quezta does seem to be dragonic so I placed it in medieval era.

I’m just trying to say - I simply appreicate molded creatures for good old days’ sake. Buildable creatures never appeal to me. 

15 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Honestly, I kinda disliked the Breakout set because of the buildable T-Rex and wished it would have been a moulded one - though its size would have been to small probably. Second issue are the stickers ofc. So anyways I once saw it in a Lego store and since then I own it - some sets just look much better in reality than they do in pictures

That would literally ruin the whole set.

It's a diorama — it's supposed to be a dynamic display set. If you used a moulded T. Rex, it would just be... standing there, awkwardly. No posable tail. No posable arms. No posable legs and feet. It couldn't even be able to stand on the car with one of its legs, which is a pretty big part of that set.

11 hours ago, mantax said:

I would personally think that the best option for dinosaurs in Jurassic sets would be a mix of brick built an molded. Just like the Ninjago dragons or the creatures from Avatar. The dinosaurs would have molded heads and the rest of the body would have been brick built, with maybe some extra molds for other small details. That would also lower the cost of the sets and make the building proces a bit better I think. The only problem with that would be the fact that the dinosaurs in 4+ sets would look terrible, just like the 4+ ninjago dragons.

Honestly, that wouldn´t look great at all. They made the same with fluffy in the Harry Potter series and I am really no fan of that one. Also it would be very hard to build dinosaurs with bricks especially the smaller ones but even the T-Rex. Anyways I´d prefer Brickbuild over a mix in many cases, though for the Dragons in Ninjago I would actually say the mix is great.

Another thing is that many buy those sets for the dinos only, and I do belive without the moulded dinosaurs, the sales would be a lot worse and the theme likely already retired.

3 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

That would literally ruin the whole set.

It's a diorama — it's supposed to be a dynamic display set. If you used a moulded T. Rex, it would just be... standing there, awkwardly. No posable tail. No posable arms. No posable legs and feet. It couldn't even be able to stand on the car with one of its legs, which is a pretty big part of that set.

Yeah as I said a moulded dinosour wouldn´t fit size wise anyways, The issue is just that the bigger the size the better and more detailed you can build an dinosaur/brickbuilt creature in general. The T-Rex from the Rampage set looks way better than the breakout one for instance. And I my issue wasn´t that the breakout one wasn´t a moulded dinosaur but that it, while generally beeing a great built it had some major issues. One thing for sure are the grey parts or the stickers for the eyes but I think what I most dislike about it is the feet. They don´t look like T-Rex-feet at all, more like he is wearing shoes :)

10 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Honestly, that wouldn´t look great at all. They made the same with fluffy in the Harry Potter series and I am really no fan of that one. Also it would be very hard to build dinosaurs with bricks especially the smaller ones but even the T-Rex. Anyways I´d prefer Brickbuild over a mix in many cases, though for the Dragons in Ninjago I would actually say the mix is great.

Another thing is that many buy those sets for the dinos only, and I do belive without the moulded dinosaurs, the sales would be a lot worse and the theme likely already retired.

Persanally I do like most of the creatures build in that way (even that fluffy). Maybe in some things that doesn't work, but for example the dragons from Elves are like so smooth(and they are 8 years old now), if the dinosaurs were build like that they might be matching the molded ones a bit. Molded parts would no matter what look better then brick build(unless the thing is huge), but the posability in the molded dinosaurs is quite bad. Like the brachiosaurus has an only posable neck and head, if it was brick built there wouldn't be a problem with that, and also they could make it even bigger if it was like that. 

At the end I do have to say that the dinosaurs are fine how they are, there definitely is a charm to them. And like lego won't change them no matter what either way. But I'd personally would prefer them if they were like the Elves dragons.