Lwol564

(moc) EP08 (first moc!)

I just finished my first moc and based on the polish EP08.

The EP08 or Świnia (Pig) as its called is an improvement on the polish EU07 and British EU06 with its main upgrade over the 2 being improved motors.

I chose the EP08 because when I was young my favorite thing to do was to go down to the local station near my grandmas and just sit for hours admiring the trains.

I plan on recoloring it and lightly modifying it to build similar locomotives like the EU/P07 and 6, ET41, and EU07A .

I'm not really satisfied with the pantograph and I know I'm going to need stickers for the front.

of course and and all feedback is appreciated!

ep08 Prototype_2.jpg

ep08 Pre Prototype.jpg

Very good indeed for first MOC.

Pantographs are always difficult especially scissors type, and making them bright red distracts the viewer from the rest of the loco. You could try making them "weathered" dark grey instead of "fresh from the factory" red. The LEGO Krokodil scissors pantographs are quite a good design for a 7 or 8 wide model. Single arm pantographs are a bit easier to realistically model in LEGO. Was your prototype ever fitted with these?

I've been working on a (6 wide) DR E17 electric loco and I've spent more time on the scissors pantographs than anything else, and I'm still not happy. I've worked on a few alternative designs which when I have a minute I'll post on here. 

1 hour ago, idlemarvel said:

Single arm pantographs are a bit easier to realistically model in LEGO. Was your prototype ever fitted with these?

No because I wanted to be as realistic as possible and the real thing unfortunately has scissor pantographs 

bright red distracts the viewer from the rest of the loco. You could try making them "weathered" dark grey instead of "fresh from the factory" red. 

I recolored too grey on one side and I'm not sure I like it. I would send an image but I cant find a way too get it under 20 kb. I might artificially weather the parts with something to make them darker.

The LEGO Krokodil scissors pantographs are quite a good design for a 7 or 8 wide model.

Yea the 6.6 L bar on the top of the pantograph is something I'm not happy with too. I will need to try this thanks for the idea.

53 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Instead for the pantographs I would advise you to keep them as low as possible.

Now that I look at them they are slightly tall.

Another thing about the pantograph is that it can slide the legs inwards and fold down if the makes sense.

Thank you for the feedback
Lwol

Edited by Lwol564
dumb mistake

4 hours ago, Lwol564 said:

I just finished my first moc

Holy smokes.

Man, even after my 30th MOC I would not be where you are - ingenious!!!

The OE carriages may look very OE'ish (I learned that this is a more of a philosophy than a train). And to top it off: I believe changing the blue you used to the OE blue - man. 8-wide, unique loco ... :pir-love:

Thank you very much for sharing!

All the best,
Thorsten 

Edited by Toastie

29 minutes ago, Lwol564 said:

I will need to try this thanks for the idea.

So I just tried to make a new pantograph this time (folded) and it definitely looks a lot better and less goofy.

ep08-13 Prototype Power Functions_4

ep08-13 Prototype Power Functions_3

Thank you idlemarvel for the suggestion

Lwol

A great MOC (never mind the fact that it is your first train) and congratulations on hitting the front page on Eurobricks!

1 hour ago, Lwol564 said:

Yea the 6.6 L bar on the top of the pantograph is something I'm not happy with too. I will need to try this thanks for the idea.

You could try a 4L bar or cut down 3mm tubing to a different length. While I'm not familiar with the prototype, what about bringing one pantograph down a LITTLE bit, as if it were on the wire but the wire was closer to the top of the locomotive and then put the other pantograph folded all the way down?

FWIW, I like the bright red for the pantograph, but it's all a matter of personal taste

I was planning on having one up and one folded when i build it I just couldn't be bothered to work with the angles in studio to build it without any clipping.

As always I thank you a lot for the feedback

Lwol

Welcome to an expensive hobby ;-)

As others have said, that's not a bad start at all. If you haven't already, check out the Flickr groups for train MOCs and train ideas. You'll find a lot of inspiration there.

Are you going to build some cars for your engine? Freight or passenger?

Well its technically not my first moc as I've built many discolored trains when I was younger along with some Mindstorms stuff more recently. Its the first one I've planned on my computer and dedicated to detail instead of making it in one afternoon. 

5 minutes ago, Duq said:

Welcome to an expensive hobby ;-)

Are you going to build some cars for your engine? Freight or passenger?

Thankfully I have a massive pile of old sets I can use for parts but yea I will be blowing big bucks on bricklink for those older and rarer parts.

For this specific one its meant to be a passenger train and I will make some passenger cars for it though with some minor modifications it can be a freight train and I also wanna make some of my own rolling stock!

I have taken some feedback into consideration and made the structure sturdier and made it so that can be easily modified into a different paintjob. I have a almost completed alternate version though I still need to change the snow plough.

ep08-13 Prototype Power Functions5

I am so much happier with the new pantograph

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Lwol

19 hours ago, Lwol564 said:

I would send an image but I cant find a way too get it under 20 kb.

(Please ignore) Eurobricks does not provide storage for larger pictures. You have to store your pictures on flickr or imgur or similar and provide a link. There are tutorials on how to do this on here. I find it very annoying to have to do this but I can understand why.

Edited by idlemarvel
Sorry somebody else already told you this

I think I have come to a point where I can build it with the parts I have in the wrong colors to see its mechanical performance.

I really want to thank everyone for the ideas.

ep08 Power Functions 3 Versions!

Lwol

if this is your first moc i am screwed. next years octrainber (if it will be a thing next year) will be very tough (assuming you also participate). but either way, very nice moc.

Is this the OE blue on the left??? I am sorry for asking, as I am a little ^^ color-blind.

This locomotive so deserves it to pull the OR carriages - as a beautiful locomotive. I have just learned that OE is now "owned" by Accor, just living on people with a lot of - in my world way too much - money, so "OE" - for me - has become even more so totally uninteresting. Let TLG and Accor do what they want. 2025 is apparently the new launch of the Accor OE Express. What a coincidence and: What-ever. 

It must be a blast to see your 8-wide beautiful locomotive pulling the beautiful LEGO OE carriages.

Tipping hat, a bow - and a slide nod - to your locomotive.

All the best,
Thorsten

Hey Guys

Ive been working on the train a bit and am undecided when it comes to the roof at the moment. The Irl roof is lightly curved with a steep curve on the sides so im not sure which version I like more. I really

here is a referance

EP08-001 wróciła do obsługi pociągów PKP Intercity - Kolejowy Portal

Old Prototype

ep08 Power Functions 3 Versions!Copy

New Version WIP

EP08-1 2

would appreciate some help/ideas.

Lwol

11 hours ago, Darkkostas25 said:

Astounding replica! Cool idea with headlamp brick modified for studs on both sideways !

Thanks!

I've spent some time on the windshield and did some retexturing to the side walls, moved some windows, and made the door more pronounced and I can say I'm happy to have the orange cheese slopes gone.

Here is the new and old version comparison

Lwol

New

EP08-1 2 front progress

Old

EP08 1 front

I have finally come to the true final version which I am quite proud of.

I guess its time to make some passenger cars so that its not so lonely.

Thank you to everyone for all the advice and if you have something new to share don't hesitate to leave a reply!

Lwol

EP08-1 2Final

Good work. You captured this locomotive well. NPU with the rotating hinge elements for the lights. I was more a fan of the other roofline version, but both are excellent.

23 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Good work. You captured this locomotive well. NPU with the rotating hinge elements for the lights. I was more a fan of the other roofline version, but both are excellent.

Thank you for leaving a reply! As for the roof I too liked the other one more for some time but it was just too blocky and I felt like I was losing the detail of the roof being curved.

Lwol

Edit: I just realized I forgot to install the top light

Edited by Lwol564