Ngoc Nguyen

42179 Planet Earth and Moon in Orbit

Posted (edited)
On 3/10/2024 at 10:37 AM, SJMarty said:

What a great build...I really enjoyed it.

Has anyone else toyed with the idea of motorizing this?

Quick and dirty for demonstration purposes. I used 88017... Not quite permanent.

I like the little crank. I sit here on video calls, cranking away, and everyone wonders what my left hand is up to. :pir-laugh:

JWo6kwN.md.jpg

Edited by shroomzofdoom

I got the set. Very pleasant build. Unfortunately, my Earth prints are also slightly displaced, Africa experienced catastrophic tectonic shift.

After studying the gearing, I can confirm the earlier findings about gear ratios:

1 lunar month = 27 days (should be 29.53059 solar days)

1 sun rotation = 27 days (technically OK, some parts of the sun rotate at this speed)

1 hand crank rotation = 3 days

Regarding the year, earth is atached in such a way that without input, it will remain stationary in relation to the base (not the arm). So it will gain an extra solar day throughout the year (from the perspective of earth, sun will do 1 full rotation). This means that the year length is 364.5 sidereal days (2:729 gear ratio, rotations in relation to fixed base/stars) + 1 solar day. 

Since the earth rotations are in relation to the fixed base, all the days in calculations are sidereal days, which are shorter than solar days (they are 23 hours, 56 minutes long, so approx. 0.997222 of a solar day). Therefore, the final periods, in solar days, are:

1 lunar month = 26.9249 days (should be 29.53059 days)

1 year = 364.4874 days (should be 365.2425 days)

In short, year length is a little worse than the earlier calculations.

18 minutes ago, Davidz90 said:

I got the set. Very pleasant build. Unfortunately, my Earth prints are also slightly displaced, Africa experienced catastrophic tectonic shift.

After studying the gearing, I can confirm the earlier findings about gear ratios:

1 lunar month = 27 days (should be 29.53059 solar days)

1 sun rotation = 27 days (technically OK, some parts of the sun rotate at this speed)

1 hand crank rotation = 3 days

Regarding the year, earth is atached in such a way that without input, it will remain stationary in relation to the base (not the arm). So it will gain an extra solar day throughout the year (from the perspective of earth, sun will do 1 full rotation). This means that the year length is 364.5 sidereal days (2:729 gear ratio, rotations in relation to fixed base/stars) + 1 solar day. 

Since the earth rotations are in relation to the fixed base, all the days in calculations are sidereal days, which are shorter than solar days (they are 23 hours, 56 minutes long, so approx. 0.997222 of a solar day). Therefore, the final periods, in solar days, are:

1 lunar month = 26.9249 days (should be 29.53059 days)

1 year = 364.4874 days (should be 365.2425 days)

In short, year length is a little worse than the earlier calculations.

While 'stickers' don't bother me, earth should have been painted on this model, in my opinion. As for the discrepancies, that is a total shame. The model teaches the principles OK but the accuracy (or lack thereof) ruins it. I haven't read through the entire thread, but if I remember correctly, I believe someone worked out the proper gearing needed. Too bad LEGO didn't follow that path.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Lego Tom said:

I believe someone worked out the proper gearing needed

Actually, I did XD In fairness, it is quite a bit more convoluted and makes use of multiple differentials, but for me that's a plus. The, moon is the most puzzling - a simple 1:28 would be better. I'l definitely make a mod implementing better gear ratios & limiting the color vomit on the model. 

Edited by Davidz90

Posted (edited)

One error in my previous post: everything is sidereal (rotations relative to fixed base), moon too. This means that we need the sidereal lunar month which is 27.32 days. So 27 is remarkably accurate after all!

Now if we want some serious accuracy, I've done some more calculations and here are the results:

53598086729_71630c988f_c.jpgcalculations by David_Z1, on Flickr

Edited by Davidz90

Any of my fellow North American Technic fans noticing the set doesn't quite line up for the April 8 eclipse?

Not complaining...but I just noticed this and was thinking I'd 'reset' it, assuming it to be related to the margin(s) of error mentioned above.

1 hour ago, shroomzofdoom said:

Any of my fellow North American Technic fans noticing the set doesn't quite line up for the April 8 eclipse?

I think that in the instructions, only the earth axis is lined up more or less properly, with proper seasons and equinoxes. I haven't checked but I believe that the initial moon position was whatever. In general, the set would benefit from some slip clutches allowing for easy correction of the relative positions.

Bought today litllebit under 60EUR. Can't wait to build.

We designed a very nice motorized kit for this set. Using customerized motor, with touch control speed, and showcase it at your preferred speed.

Need your comments, friends.

Has anyone had success recoloring this thing yet? I just made a quick Bricklink wanted list for every non-black part included in this set that's available in black, except for the element used for the moon and a few dark bluish grey substitutions when black wasn't an option. I will have to go through the instructions and see how much non-black I can get away with, considering the rarity of some of these parts, but it's a start.

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 4:40 PM, BrickRally217 said:

Has anyone had success recoloring this thing yet? I just made a quick Bricklink wanted list for every non-black part included in this set that's available in black, except for the element used for the moon and a few dark bluish grey substitutions when black wasn't an option. I will have to go through the instructions and see how much non-black I can get away with, considering the rarity of some of these parts, but it's a start.

I replaced a bunch of the easily reached parts with black (or less bright) equivalents - looks good. I might tear it down fully to finish the job with parts I have. Would probably break out the black 3L pins in that case. 

I also did a number on the pointless white decorative elements. Local pick-a-brick wall had some gold parts that I bought at random without having this in mind. I am a few curly elements short so the other side is unfinished. 

GprX6vp.jpg

Edited by DrJimbo
tidy up

@DrJimbo Looks good. The candle flames are a bit weird but gold and black looks good. I would just use a black marker to color the ends of the blue pins. Not worth the hassle to disassemble everything imo.

4 hours ago, R0Sch said:

@DrJimbo Looks good. The candle flames are a bit weird but gold and black looks good. I would just use a black marker to color the ends of the blue pins. Not worth the hassle to disassemble everything imo.

They are there to warm up the sun! :pir_laugh2:

18 hours ago, DrJimbo said:

I replaced a bunch of the easily reached parts with black (or less bright) equivalents - looks good. I might tear it down fully to finish the job with parts I have. Would probably break out the black 3L pins in that case. 

I also did a number on the pointless white decorative elements. Local pick-a-brick wall had some gold parts that I bought at random without having this in mind. I am a few curly elements short so the other side is unfinished. 

WOW that looks amazing! I might have to steal your idea of using those gold Elves pieces for decorations because that makes me recall this really incredible brass orrery with the constellations that I saw when visiting the Frederiksborg Slot in Denmark. 

On 4/9/2024 at 5:45 PM, BrickRally217 said:

WOW that looks amazing! I might have to steal your idea of using those gold Elves pieces for decorations because that makes me recall this really incredible brass orrery with the constellations that I saw when visiting the Frederiksborg Slot in Denmark. 

Thanks! Brass decorated orrery was the vibe I was going for. With the flames around the sun as a whimsical element. Saw some lovely instruments in Greenwich recently.