GrandPixelMan

[MOC] Sächsische I K

Hey everyone!

A month ago I showed you my Sächsische IV K. Now I want to show you its smaller predecessor, the Sächsische I K.
This locomotive was used in the early days of the Saxon state railways, and were built between 1881 and 1892. They served on various narrow gauge railways up till the late 60s, when all of them were scrapped.
In 2006 a plan was made to build a new I K, which was finished in 2009. Sadly in September of 2022 the locomotive was heavily damaged in a collision with a road vehicle. Reparations are still ongoing.

LEGO Sächsische I K + Flachwagen OmmrLEGO Sächsische I K + Flachwagen OmmrLEGO Sächsische I K + Flachwagen Ommr

To go with it I made a crude Ommr Flatbed railcar.

LEGO Sächsische I KLEGO Sächsische I K

Please tell me what you think!

-GPM-

The model is highly recognisable and the thoroughness of the detailing is impressive, especially with how I don't see any obviously illegal or particularly dubious connections. I particularly like the use of bucket handles as shades over the windows, and the side rods are quite nicely built too.

However, some of the shapes are pretty blocky, especially near the lower front. For the cylinders I'd consider using 3386 brick round 1x1x2/3 with side stud with a 1x1 cheese slope on top to represent the characteristic shape of the I K, although this would make the cylinders all black.

The size of the central buffer also seems similar to the cylinders in the prototype, so the 1x2 rectangle looks a bit big and square. A piece like 79194 plate 1x1 with bar handle (held in a clip by the handle) or 20482 tile round 1x1 with bar (bar inserted into a jumper hole) might give you a closer representation of the prototype in this regard.

Yet another stunning engine! The green and red color combination makes such lively locomotives. All the details in such a small space make it even livelier! The flatbed wagon is great as well.

Thank you all for the kind words!

On 9/7/2023 at 11:21 AM, witchy said:

The model is highly recognisable and the thoroughness of the detailing is impressive, especially with how I don't see any obviously illegal or particularly dubious connections. I particularly like the use of bucket handles as shades over the windows, and the side rods are quite nicely built too.

However, some of the shapes are pretty blocky, especially near the lower front. For the cylinders I'd consider using 3386 brick round 1x1x2/3 with side stud with a 1x1 cheese slope on top to represent the characteristic shape of the I K, although this would make the cylinders all black.

The size of the central buffer also seems similar to the cylinders in the prototype, so the 1x2 rectangle looks a bit big and square. A piece like 79194 plate 1x1 with bar handle (held in a clip by the handle) or 20482 tile round 1x1 with bar (bar inserted into a jumper hole) might give you a closer representation of the prototype in this regard.

Thanks! The cylinders were difficult to get right with the pieces I had at hand. Maybe I'll have to experiment with it some more.
I did actually have that exact design for the buffer, only it looked too small. I liked the look of the larger plate more, so I stuck with that!

20 hours ago, Ferro-Friki said:

Yet another stunning engine! The green and red color combination makes such lively locomotives. All the details in such a small space make it even livelier! The flatbed wagon is great as well.

I love the green colour on smaller engines especially! It makes them stand out so lovely.