Aanchir

[ENTRY] 6267 Lagoon Lock-Up/Soldiers’ Tavern Remake

21 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I think the trickiest thing sometimes is coming up with urban buildings and scenery that will have fun potential for pirate/nautical stories on their own, especially since the further inland you go, the further you get from models that can interact directly with boats and ships, like docks, shipyards, and lighthouses.

Of the sorts of buildings previously seen in sets, taverns are an obvious staple of the pirate genre, jails are great for escape scenes, and colonial treasuries are an obvious target for pirate raids (since banking hadn't really caught on in the Americas at this point). Military forts and outposts also naturally serve as a base of operations for the pirates' law-abiding pursuers. But too much repetition of that same subject matter in a unified town display could get kinda boring, which is exactly why I didn't want this model's titular "lock-up" to be just a jail like the one in Eldorado Fortress, but smaller.

Outside of those options, an inn is also always a possibility, since this tavern is too small to include one. Market stalls are naturally also a good fit for any sort of historic setting (or even small-town modern settings). A smithy could be used to supply both pirates and soldiers with weapons, and a courthouse would create an opportunity for piracy trial scenes. And I suppose nearby, you could also build a public square with a stocks and pillory or even a gallows or gibbet, if you don't mind going in much darker and more morbid direction than LEGO would ever be likely to do in a set).

I always imagine a corniche with some docks/jettys and behind that a row a prestigious/representative buildings as the start of an pirate or imperial coastal town. Maybe i draw my ideas to much of buildings like the ones that surround Plaza Vieja in Havana (There are even some buildings in the classic color sheme of white and yellow!) or buildings from the city of Recife and others. But i don't know when these houses were built. But even the historic paintings of the aforementioned Plaza show some nice buildings of the same architecture that could be models for mocs. But i guess all of that is for an other topic :pir_laugh2: (But i am thinking about it a lot haha).

On 8/18/2023 at 7:13 PM, Aanchir said:

53124707087_7a08963c09_c.jpg

@Aanchir just had a second look at your build, and it made me wonder - how did you build those tan chairs? what's the piece used for the legs? are they "just" sitting on top of the black plate or are they attached somehow?

also you mentioned before that you may share the Studio file - is that still possible?

Edited by zinnn

On 1/31/2024 at 1:27 AM, zinnn said:

@Aanchir just had a second look at your build, and it made me wonder - how did you build those tan chairs? what's the piece used for the legs? are they "just" sitting on top of the black plate or are they attached somehow?

also you mentioned before that you may share the Studio file - is that still possible?

Still curious about this also!

Would love a copy on my shelf!

On 1/30/2024 at 12:27 PM, zinnn said:

The chairs are just sitting loosely in place, though the studs around them somewhat keep them from sliding around freely. The seat and back rest are made using a simple 92411 bracket, while the legs use part 3131. The latter piece was introduced in last year's Minecraft sets, and I think it works great for the legs of for small furniture items like chairs and side tables! And if you do wish to attach it to a base more securely, that can be done by attaching a bar to the hollow stud on "bottom" of the chair.

On 1/30/2024 at 12:27 PM, zinnn said:

On 2/6/2024 at 6:05 AM, thewatchman said:

Still curious about this also!

Would love a copy on my shelf!

Oof, apologies for the delay! I was going to upload it sooner, but then I thought "but what if I made instructions for it also?"… and then trying to figure out how to break it down into steps got so frustrating to me that I avoided it for months and very nearly forgot about it entirely. :blush:

Here is the link to the stud.io file. Hope that it meets all your expectations (or that if it doesn't, that you're able to mod it to your liking)!

On 1/31/2024 at 1:27 AM, zinnn said:

All on you now mate 😁
 Let’s see that studio file turn into a rebrickable entry.

Edited by thewatchman

16 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Here is the link to the stud.io file. Hope that it meets all your expectations (or that if it doesn't, that you're able to mod it to your liking)!

Thank you!

I must admit, seeing your studio file made me realise how INCREDIBLE your set is. For how small it is, it's packed with details. Amazing job!!!

Here is a comparison shot next to Eldorado.

BTrTFmP.png

This was built from parts on hand, so there are some very minor changes.  I did notice that the 1x4 panel (part 30413) in the hidden stash caused the trapdoor to bind, so I replaced it with a tile.  Also, the clutch strength on the Technic steering wheel is very poor, the palm leaves can easily fall off.

I created some PDF instructions, as well as an updated IO file with these instructions and a Bricklink wanted list with minifigures removed to make building this easier.  With permission from @Aanchir, I will post this to Rebrickable as well.  The BL total cost without minifigures is under $100, so given the quality of the model I highly recommend adding it to your collection.  I enjoyed the build much more than Eldorado, there were no boring parts, and it's packed full of amazing details.

15 hours ago, iragm said:

This was built from parts on hand, so there are some very minor changes.  I did notice that the 1x4 panel (part 30413) in the hidden stash caused the trapdoor to bind, so I replaced it with a tile.  Also, the clutch strength on the Technic steering wheel is very poor, the palm leaves can easily fall off. 

I created some PDF instructions, as well as an updated IO file with these instructions and a Bricklink wanted list with minifigures removed to make building this easier.  With permission from @Aanchir, I will post this to Rebrickable as well.  The BL total cost without minifigures is under $100, so given the quality of the model I highly recommend adding it to your collection.  I enjoyed the build much more than Eldorado, there were no boring parts, and it's packed full of amazing details.

Beautiful work! *oh2* Some of the design faults you mention are things I'll definitely try to keep in mind with future digital models (since usually my aim is to create something that could work in real life, even if I don't end up purchasing the bricks to build these models myself)

And the fact that you preferred its build to that of the new Eldorado Fortress is very high praise indeed! Of course, I wouldn't have been able to do nearly as good a job with this design if I hadn't had the new Eldorado Fortress for reference. The rocks, sand, piers, and weathered brick walls of my model all borrow heavily from that set. Plus, it's much easier to redesign a mid-size set like this than a large set like Eldorado Fortress without the build becoming tedious or repetitive.

The modular design of the new Eldorado Fortress is admittedly much more ambitious than anything I set out to do with this model. Truth be told, I'm still a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to incorporate more modularity into this build (either in terms of being able to separate the model into multiple segments, or being able to connect it to any of the Eldorado Fortress modules in a way that feels logical/coherent). This is an area where I feel some of the other

I also wish I had been as successful as Pierre Normandin in providing rooftop access for the minifigs. Certainly, Eldorado Fortress lacked a ladder to the roof of the governor's office, but it still provided ladders for the other three rooftops AND the underground storerooms — whereas even with just two rooftops in this model, it still somewhat frustrates me that I was only able to provide a means of access for one of them.

I feel like this is a good place for a shout-out to @CaptainLocke, who redesigned 6267 in a way that CAN connect quite beautifully to Eldorado Fortress, and managed to turn the otherwise purely decorative arch in the original set into a more practical bridge between the two rooftops (though it lacks roof access when not connected to Eldorado Fortress).

That model also played around with the height of the docks in some very interesting ways, which makes their redesign feel a lot less "flat" compared to the original set. I feel like next time I try to redesign a classic Pirates set, I should think about taking more of these sorts of creative liberties myself instead of adhering quite so strictly to the original set's proportions.

18 hours ago, iragm said:

BTrTFmP.png

Fantastic! I'm planning to build this one too at some point:)

I'm also working on an expansion of this set, adding the back to the "tavern" plus a small grocery seller stand. It's all still in progress, but you can see photo below. The only thing I'm not sure is if I keep the black panels for the ground, since they're supposed to be wood, I don't think the tavern would be built on them?

WAqehOv.png

2 hours ago, zinnn said:

Spoiler

WAqehOv.png

Looks great!  The rockwork is a bit smooth on the back, the front is much more "rough" which is more visually interesting.  The window from Eldorado is nice, but two of them is a lot for such a small build, and there's a LOT of white and dark red here, with not much yellow (not to mention losing the Caribbean "open air" feeling of the original set.  And I would put another red and blue awning over the vegetable seller, to add a bit more color to the rear view.  And it would be cool if the arch was made into a bridge like the other build linked above.  But these are just minor, your build looks really nice!

I'll put my instructions up on Rebrickable in the next couple days.

Edited by iragm
formatting

1 hour ago, iragm said:

The rockwork is a bit smooth on the back

You mean under the dock? If yes, that's a work in progress, I've just filled the hole now for this render, my idea is that the back of this set is leading to the port town so you can add more modules to it.

Thank you for other suggestions, I'm still experimenting with it :)

On 2/23/2024 at 8:30 PM, zinnn said:

I'm also working on an expansion of this set, adding the back to the "tavern" plus a small grocery seller stand. It's all still in progress, but you can see photo below. The only thing I'm not sure is if I keep the black panels for the ground, since they're supposed to be wood, I don't think the tavern would be built on them?

That looks great! Good job!

On 2/23/2024 at 2:30 PM, zinnn said:

Fantastic! I'm planning to build this one too at some point:)

That's looking very nice so far! for my part I used black for the tavern floor just 'cuz I figured that even if it has a stone foundation, it might have a wooden floor over top. But honestly, a different colored floor for the tavern itself is not the worst idea — a warmer color like Sand Yellow/Dark Tan might help brighten up the interior in a tasteful way. And in hindsight, there's no reason to think that a wooden floor inside would match the tarred dock outside.

If you end up adding on to your port town even further I'd love to see what you come up with!

This Lagoon Lock-Up/Soldiers’ Tavern Remake is hands down the best thing i ever saw on the forum. I often come back to this thread and watch the pictures :wub:

Seeing it build in real life @iragm makes it even better!

Posted (edited)

Finally got around to finishing my build of this up. 

53571434063_5420ded1d1_c.jpg

Just wanted to thank you again for making this available, it was a great build that I had a lot of fun with!

53571236691_3f933173c8.jpg

I used the BB palm tree method as the wheel clips just don’t hold, but kept the plant pot base section. 

Edited by thewatchman

4 hours ago, thewatchman said:

Finally got around to finishing my build of this up. 

53571434063_5420ded1d1_c.jpg

Just wanted to thank you again for making this available, it was a great build that I had a lot of fun with!

53571236691_3f933173c8.jpg

I used the BB palm tree method as the wheel clips just don’t hold, but kept the plant pot base section. 

Super cool. Can you post more photos, I would love to see it from all sides. So neat!

On 3/7/2024 at 2:30 AM, MightyThorngren said:

Super cool. Can you post more photos, I would love to see it from all sides. So neat!

Sure can.

53578111406_f5a36a82b9_z.jpg

53578436874_ec2191622c.jpg

53578556845_acc1b35e13_c.jpg

53577248097_a2ae15caac.jpg

53578111396_bfcd97d0cb.jpg

53578111366_7609e2164c_z.jpg

Update on my expansion, still in the works. Thanks to @iragm for the awning idea.

t0lJNkb.png

On 3/17/2024 at 9:49 PM, zinnn said:

Update on my expansion, still in the works. Thanks to @iragm for the awning idea.

t0lJNkb.png

Looks awesome!

On 3/17/2024 at 4:49 PM, zinnn said:

Beautiful work! It feels very seamless while also incorporating some different motifs from the ones I used, such as the brick window frames (as well as a ladder which solves the roof access problem from my model). That little market stall makes great use of the remaining ground space.

Have you come up with any fun or clever uses for the extra interior floor and wall space in your expansion? It seems like it should provide enough space to add some stuff I didn't end up finding room for: for example, an interior dining table or some barrels/cabinets/shelves for meal ingredients, and maybe a maritime painting on one of the walls. And I wouldn't be surprised if you can come up with other ideas of your own that I never thought of!

Yes, it's a great addition to the set the moc! I really like the awning and the red bricks around the window. I only feel, the bigger the black ground gets, the more it looks 'unnatural'. What do you guys think?

On 3/23/2024 at 7:14 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

I only feel, the bigger the black ground gets, the more it looks 'unnatural'

I agree, but I've been snowed with other work to have time to reconsider this design. Project TBC ;)