Hello everybody! 🙂

According to brick clicker there will be three Space sets in 2024:

40712 Space GWP releasing in January

10391 Lego Moments: Space (black space ship (maybe Blacktron based) with two minifigs) with 966 pieces) for 100 $ releasing in April

40687 Space GWP releasing in May

I hope that these sets are all references to past, unlicensed Space sets. If so, this would be really nice and 10391 could likely be something similar to 6954 Renegade which was released (back in 1987) in April, too.

What do you think?

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Full list, plus a bit more info (from @Brick Clicker): 

10391 - “LEGO Moments Space”, 966 Pieces, $100, Release either October ‘23 or April ‘24 
 - Includes two Minifigs with alternate heads for customisation, the build is a large black spaceship, and LEGO Moments is a new subtheme of Icons (another LEGO Moments set (10392) is releasing in 2024, though its contents are unknown). 
40712 - Space GWP, Release January 2024 
40715 - Alien Pack, Release May 2024 
 - Normal set (not GWP), and could potentially be a Minifig pack. 
40716 - Alien Planet Habitat, Release May 2024. 
 - Normal (non-GWP) set 
40687 - Space GWP, Release May 2024 

I am very hyped for all of this - 10391 is almost certainly the Blacktron Renegade! I am curious about the Minifigs, since I could see them reusing the direct remake Blacktron torso from the GWP (still available from PAB, meaning that it is still in production long after the set went out of stock), but the head-swapping feature suggests some kind of update. On that note, I wonder if we will get classic yellow or real-world skin tones in the set; while I like the idea of letting people customise their Spacemen to reflect their own appearance, I would prefer that all available parts go to either the ship itself or a few more Minifigs. I do think that Space is the perfect in-house theme for fleshies, though, since the Minifigs have no exposed skin (meaning that they will not end up colour-restricted like the foosball ‘figs). 

The Alien Pack and Alien Planet Habitat sets have amazing potential, provided that the aliens are actual Minifigs and not just brickbuilt; my guess for 40716 is a set of small dioramas depicting different alien landscapes. 

The two GWPs are absolutely going to be remakes of classic sets, and with at least two new prints plus stickers available, they could be basically anything. 

I am particularly curious about the new LEGO Moments subtheme of Icons - Could it be a remake theme (LEGO Legends 2.0)? If so, what is 10392? Caribbean Clipper? Black Falcon’s Fortress? Guarded Inn? There is insane potential in such a line, and we seem to be getting 1-2 per year!! 

1 minute ago, Thena said:

I hope that they will not become some kind of exclusive.

The GWPs are exclusive to LEGO.com and LEGO stores, but the others should be available from at least Amazon, and likely other retailers as well. 

A few comments : On the principle that all this is confirmed, the arrival of the "Moments" sub-range at Icons looks like a godsend, because it means certainly that LEGO wishes to perpetuate the remakes of the classic sets that we have been lucky enough to have since 2020, in unifying them around a banner. "Moments" must be understood in the sense of "time of excellence", so if I understand correctly it is a question of emphasizing emblematic sets of the golden age LEGO like the short-lived Legends before.

Regarding the 10391 Lego Moments: Space, and insofar as it would be a reboot of the 6954 Blacktron Renegade, I find it surprising that it is 25% more expensive than the 10497 Galaxy Explorer. Indeed, the two original sets have the same number of parts but the reboot of the Galaxy Explorer includes more than 250 additional parts compared to the number of parts announced for the 10391 Lego Moments: Space. So why not charge this one up to 75€?
But what worries me the most is the potential presence of stickers because the 40580 Blacktron Cruiser had no printed parts, which would have been an advantageous indication of a future release of a new Blacktron set like 40567 Forest Hideout and 10305 Lion Knights' Castle with new shield and torso prints. Or there will be stickers, but in this case it will be without me because what is also the strength of these new vintage sets is the authentic "printed only" approach.
But the strangest thing is the apparent possibility of customizing heads and hair is really strange and does not sound at all Blacktron!
For me these two last points are really what cast doubt on a likely release of a new Blacktron set.

Regarding the two "alien" sets. Can't we imagine these being related to City 2024 sets as set 60431 is named Space Rover with Aliens? Unless they're completely different aliens...

Anyway, a lot of space related sets next year and I'm very excited that we can have new Space sets and classically inspired sets in general !!!

Edited by Khargeust

Ok this is the first time i get interested in unlicensed sets since early 2000s! I really don’t like Star Wars theme. Wow, we’ll get a bunch of sets in 2024, along with “Space” CMF. 

4 hours ago, Khargeust said:

Regarding the 10391 Lego Moments: Space, and insofar as it would be a reboot of the 6954 Blacktron Renegade, I find it surprising that it is 25% more expensive than the 10497 Galaxy Explorer. Indeed, the two original sets have the same number of parts but the reboot of the Galaxy Explorer includes more than 250 additional parts compared to the number of parts announced for the 10391 Lego Moments: Space. So why not charge this one up to 75€?

Number of Parts doesn´t really tell much, especially when you don´t even have pictures avaiable yet. And aside from that, the Galaxy Explorer was actually surprisingly low priced for a Lego set.

But what worries me the most is the potential presence of stickers because the 40580 Blacktron Cruiser had no printed parts, which would have been an advantageous indication of a future release of a new Blacktron set like 40567 Forest Hideout and 10305 Lion Knights' Castle with new shield and torso prints. Or there will be stickers, but in this case it will be without me because what is also the strength of these new vintage sets is the authentic "printed only" approach.

Well there is a difference in the Shield, which you can just use in the Lion Castle again. And a part of a ship, which will likely not be used in the other Set again. So having them printed in the GWP would only be comparable with the Forestmen shields, if they would need the same exact piece printed in the renegade (if it will be this set). 

But the strangest thing is the apparent possibility of customizing heads and hair is really strange and does not sound at all Blacktron!
For me these two last points are really what cast doubt on a likely release of a new Blacktron set.

Hair wasn´t mentioned, IMO. Head could mean actually quite a few things. What really surprises me here, that this is actually a little detail, that got leaked quite early. So would guess it is more than just an other face or something (in that case it would be one head with two prints anyways) Maybe you can choose wheter you have Human Lego Face, or choose to have an Alien as Captain of the ship.

Regarding the two "alien" sets. Can't we imagine these being related to City 2024 sets as set 60431 is named Space Rover with Aliens? Unless they're completely different aliens...

Anyway, a lot of space related sets next year and I'm very excited that we can have new Space sets and classically inspired sets in general !!!

Well if they were City Aliens, they should have the number range of City sets.

6 hours ago, Khargeust said:

I'll gladly pay a higher price to part ratio for Classic Space set remakes, but only if there are NO. FREAKING. STICKERS.

19 minutes ago, spongebrickpl said:

Customizing heads could be choosing between classic smile and modern face. 

Hmm that would make a lot of sense for Blacktron! That could just be a single head piece too.

17 minutes ago, danth said:

Hmm that would make a lot of sense for Blacktron! That could just be a single head piece too.

Agreed. I jsut don’t see the unlicensed set comes with many headpieces in different skin tones. Plus, if it’s a single head piece, then I guess it would be a dual-printed head. 

I think the two heads could either be:

• Yellow head with smiley face print + yellow head with modern face print
  • Yellow head with modern face print + unusual head colour with alien face print

The classic faces would help it gel better for people who want to display it with 10497 and the modern ones are more in line with the el dorado remake. I like the idea of the human factions having aliens in their ranks and the blacktron bounty hunter CMF had a blue face underneath the helmet.

On 8/11/2023 at 12:18 PM, Black Falcon said:

Well there is a difference in the Shield, which you can just use in the Lion Castle again. And a part of a ship, which will likely not be used in the other Set again. So having them printed in the GWP would only be comparable with the Forestmen shields, if they would need the same exact piece printed in the renegade (if it will be this set).

Honestly, the bigger factor in why the Blacktron Cruiser had stickers seems to have been the number of different parts it needed decorations for, not their potential for reuse in other themes. After all, 40581 was also released as a "throwback" GWP set just this year and was able to include two set-specific printed elements even at that sort of limited budget.

Presumably, if the Blacktron Cruiser had only needed one printed element besides the minifig torso, it could have likewise used new printed parts for both. But since even the exterior markings alone would require more decorations than that, the designer opted instead to use that new element slot for a sticker sheet, allowing them decorate seven different parts at the cost of one new printed element.

10 hours ago, AstroFalcon said:

I think the two heads could either be:

I do not think that we have any confirmation that the set will only include two swappable heads; we know that there are two Minifigs, and that there is some kind of head-swapping customisation feature. 

On 8/11/2023 at 2:04 AM, Classic_Spaceman said:

Full list, plus a bit more info (from @Brick Clicker): 

10391 - “LEGO Moments Space”, 966 Pieces, $100, Release either October ‘23 or April ‘24 
 - Includes two Minifigs with alternate heads for customisation, the build is a large black spaceship, and LEGO Moments is a new subtheme of Icons (another LEGO Moments set (10392) is releasing in 2024, though its contents are unknown). 
40712 - Space GWP, Release January 2024 
40715 - Alien Pack, Release May 2024 
 - Normal set (not GWP), and could potentially be a Minifig pack. 
40716 - Alien Planet Habitat, Release May 2024. 
 - Normal (non-GWP) set 
40687 - Space GWP, Release May 2024 

Per BrickMerge, via @Falconfan1414, sets 40715 and 40716 (Alien Pack and Alien Planet Habitat) are going to be GWPs. 😕
This is rather disappointing, both due to their (lack of) availability and to the possibility that they will be BrickHeadz-style display items (rather than Minifig-based). 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Per BrickMerge, via @Falconfan1414, sets 40715 and 40716 (Alien Pack and Alien Planet Habitat) are going to be GWPs. 😕
This is rather disappointing, both due to their (lack of) availability and to the possibility that they will be BrickHeadz-style display items (rather than Minifig-based). 

I saw list in Brick Fantatic while reading about a modular GWP.  There is nothing confirmed about BrickHeadz yet.  But good thing we have city set (Rover with Aliens)!

4 minutes ago, Lion King said:

I saw list in Brick Fantatic while reading about a modular GWP.  There is nothing confirmed about BrickHeadz yet.  But good thing we have city set (Rover with Aliens)!

I meant that the GWP alien sets could end up being like this or this, rather than something more traditional (as I had hoped that they would be). Nothing is confirmed yet, though, so they still could be Minifig-based. 

4 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I meant that the GWP alien sets could end up being like this or this, rather than something more traditional (as I had hoped that they would be). Nothing is confirmed yet, though, so they still could be Minifig-based. 

Ahhhh I swee what you are talking about - i didn’t realize there were BrickHeadz-style GWP.

well we will wait and see a bit more then. But thank you for sharing the updates!

Well I really hope for regular sets instead of GWPs that have anything with new minifigure aliens. If they're brickheadz, I really don't care tbh. 

One thing I was thinking for the swappable heads on the possible blacktron set is we could see normal human faces, as well as alien/mutant type faces like from the Galactic Bounty Hunter

8 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Well, Lego seems to cater a lot to the "have endless money" crowd lately and they can probably just buy 3 more galaxy explorers to get those GWP's and then trash them afterwards :)

6 hours ago, Merlo said:

Well, Lego seems to cater a lot to the "have endless money" crowd lately 

True! It also could be a profitability issue - Large sets like the Lion Knights’ Castle, Galaxy Explorer, and Eldorado Fortress may have wide enough appeal (and cost enough) that LEGO feels that they can make money from a standard release. Small-medium throwback sets might not be as profitable that way, so LEGO makes them GWPs with high thresholds to capitalise on the nostalgic-with-endless-money crowd. 

16 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Where did you get that information ?

Have you seen this article : https://www.brickfanatics.com/five-sets-lego-moments-10391-space-remake

Do you all think it would be a Renegade remake ? 

27 minutes ago, Khargeust said:

Have you seen this article : https://www.brickfanatics.com/five-sets-lego-moments-10391-space-remake

Do you all think it would be a Renegade remake ? 

I think that the Renegade is the most likely option - No other set fits the description of “large black spaceship” as well it does (the SP1 sets would probably be described as blue and black, while SP2 is mostly grey). The Battrax is not going to be a 966-piece set; not only is it too small a vehicle to be reimagined faithfully at that size, it would not have been described as a spaceship. I could see it being one of the GWPs, though. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman