Sign in to follow this  
Khorne

[OL - FB] The Secret War

This is a story divided in different chapters dispersed throughout this topic. For ease of navigation, you can find a list of current chapters below:

Chapter I. - New Beginnings
Chapter II. - Burn After Reading
Chapter III. - Blusmangs
Chapter IV. - Into Darkness

Interlude I. - Love (For The Cause) Will Tear Us Apart
Interlude II. - This Is The Way

Chapter V. - Predator
Chapter VI. - Prey
Chapter VII. - Haji
Chapter VIII. - Standoff
Chapter IX. - Civilization
Chapter X. - Sunny Side Up

Interlude III. - Bitter Morning

Epilogue - The Head Of The Snake

Chapter I. - New Beginnings

53095513189_70809ac5dc_c.jpg

Captain Lysandre Duchamps took in the fresh air as he disembarked in the docks of Fort Arltrees. He immediately noticed the humidity of the area, which greatly contrasted to the dry air and dusty nature of New Oléon, where he had just finished his tour and from whence he and his gendarmes were then shipped off to El Oleonda on orders coming straight from the top.

Lysandre was to report to the eponymous fort of the settlement to receive further details, but he could already guess what was to be expected of him. The gendarmes were oft nicknamed "the King's Gardeners" and since El Oleonda was in the middle of a war, there were certainly plenty of weeds that would needed to be rooted out in order for the Oléonese lilies to grow.

-----

Inspired by @Ross Fisher's neat series of small builds concerning Nola Mar and wanting to advance some plotlines I have in my mind, I wanted to try my hand at something similar. So there you have it! I have several builds lined up already, so I will continue to update the story here.

Even though all builds will be the same (tiny) size, I still hope you will enjoy these.

Edited by Khorne
Updated table of content

Great small scene! I really like it! The size may be tiny but i think it is even harder than a bigger scene because you have to concentrate on the heart of the matter (I don't know how to say it in English :pir_laugh2:).

18 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

A lovely build. They're really quick to throw together, huh?

Indeed! I was able to build several scenes in a short amount of time, which will allow me to tell a story. Instead of focussing on larger MOCs, which take me a ton of time to build and for which I often lack the pieces to finish them.

17 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Nice build. I hope you continue !

Thanks! I have several builds ready. Some have been photographed already as well. I'll upload a next one after the men's WC cycling race in Glasgow is over, later today :laugh:.

15 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Great small scene! I really like it! The size may be tiny but i think it is even harder than a bigger scene because you have to concentrate on the heart of the matter (I don't know how to say it in English :pir_laugh2:).

I get what you're seeing. There's indeed an added challenge of trying to find the focus of the MOC/story and then translate that into a corresponding build on a small scale.

Chapter II. - Burn After Reading

53097650420_05edc47e9c_c.jpg

Lysandre quickly made his way from the docks to the fortress, where he was expected by lieutenant-colonel Andromeda of Oléon's home office thirteenth section. Secret police, sent to the outskirts of the Empire in order to keep Oléon's internal opponents in check.

"Your reputation precedes you, captain Duchamps. I am glad you were able to make it to El Oleonda in such timely fashion. I've read up on your dossier and your exploits in Guelph. We need men thorough and loyal such as yourself."

While Lysandre was pleased with the compliments of his superior, he merely smiled politely. "I live to serve the King, ma'am. What is required of me and my men here, if I may be so bold to inquire?"

"As you might heard on the voyage here, or read in the KPA, but we have the Lotii in the ropes after the offensive. While our boys in blue continue to keep up the pressure, it's up to use to make the best of the situation and mop up."

Together, they continued to walk in the hallways of the fortress, speaking in hushed voices to avoid eavesdropping.

"You are probably aware of the presence of the Brigade Rouge in this conflict? The armed part of the Society of Héracles... They came here to make some money of this war, earn combat experience and fight us - the evil imperialists - in the process. Hah, can you believe these guys?"

"Anyway, as the war is not completely going the way they probably expected, cracks are apparently starting to show in their so-called united front. Our intel has it there's a rift forming in the group, which affects their combat performance and readiness. Coupled with the Lotii rout, it leaves them in a precarious position. An opportune moment for us to strike and take the head of this snake. Spies and local scouts have confirmed the location of the lead group, with Nicolas Pierrot - Dorée's right-hand man and one of the most militant of the members."

Whilst walking, Andromeda slid an envelope in Lysandre's hand.

"You'll find everything you need in there. Obviously, your eyes only and on need-to-know basis. Bring him in alive. The Spider wants him for questioning. I don't care about the rest. Take them out of you must. Search the camp for valuable information. I have arranged for a local scout to meet you at the stables. He will take you and your men into the jungle."

"Oh, and Lysandre: be sure to burn your orders after reading. We wouldn't want those red dogs to be alerted of your arrival."

"It will be done, ma'am. For the King."

Andromeda smirked. "For the King."

2 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

Probably should moc some initial panic on DuQuesne's end.

Do it. We're all building 8x8s. Get involved 

Chapter III. - Blusmangs

53097430304_97d9a6e8eb_c.jpg

After a succinct briefing by the lieutenant-colonel, Lysandre retreated to his quarters where he further studied the documents had received in-depth, memorizing the information before destroying any evidence of the briefing having ever existed. Before he hit the hay for a well-needed good night's rest, the captain took an evening stroll to the stables to check up on his horse which had also been brought over from New Oléon. As he tended the white stallion, one of the Tyree'dee walked up to him. Dressed in tribal robes mixed with a surplus military Oléonese shirt, the man was clearly part of an officially sanctioned ad hoc unit of Tyree'dee auxilia, mostly consisting of local scouts and interpreters.

The islander saluted Lysandre. "Manaaki sir, interpreter. Rapòte pou devwa. (Reporting for duty.)", he introduced himself with a thick accent which made his tongue closer to a sort of patois language than actual Oléonese. Still it was comprehensible enough for Lysandre.

"No need for the formalities," the captain replied and waved away the salute. He put out his hand for a handshake. Manaaki raised a surprised eyebrow at first, but then firmly decided to acknowledge the gesture and returned the handshake."

"I take it you know the land? You know where we need to go and to stay out of sight?"

Manaaki smiled cheekily and replied in basic Oléonese, peppered with his own exotic accent: "I know it better than you, blusmang".

"Blusmang?", repeated Lysandre intrigued. Now it was his turn to raise an eyebrow.

Manaaki pointed at Lysandre's uniform and then tugged his own shirt. "Yes, you's all blusmangs. Blue. You men wear de blue shirts"

Lysandre chuckled. It was obvious what the word meant, once you knew it.

"Come here prepared at dawn. Me and my other blusmangs ride out in the morning, ready to hunt."

-----

On 8/6/2023 at 9:35 PM, Ross Fisher said:

Looking good, looking good. Can I anticipate an undercover mission?

Off the books, that's for sure.

On 8/6/2023 at 10:56 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

Great build and story! I also checked all the posts you linked. I really like your small mocs!

Thanks! I like that I can tie together a myriad of things of the past in this way.

22 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

Fantastic stuff! I thought you were on to me. Probably should moc some initial panic on DuQuesne's end.

Nah, I would never MOC anything pertaining to other people's PC's without a head's up first :wink:.

Like Ross said: DO IT. Jump on the train.

Nice to see some Tyree'dee. I'm curious too see where the story will lead us! Also another fine vignette (only the blue cap distracts a little bit from the horse :pir_laugh2:)

I only now noticed that it is a serial story in only one topic. I find Chapters II and III exciting. The story is starting to get interesting and I'm looking forward to a sequel.

Especially with the first build and the short introduction I wasn't convinced at first. I also see the builds with different eyes now. The 8x8 studs are cleverly made and help with reading and understanding the story.

On 8/8/2023 at 8:20 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

Nice to see some Tyree'dee. I'm curious too see where the story will lead us! Also another fine vignette (only the blue cap distracts a little bit from the horse :pir_laugh2:)

Thanks for the feedback. You're right about the blue cap. Perhaps I should've put it on the post so the horse wouldn't be as obscured.

The update will probably only come over the weekend. I have the next part built and ready, but I want to tweak the next chapters to have it more "body" to them. I think the next part would be rather anticlimactic otherwise.

9 hours ago, NOD said:

I only now noticed that it is a serial story in only one topic. I find Chapters II and III exciting. The story is starting to get interesting and I'm looking forward to a sequel.

Especially with the first build and the short introduction I wasn't convinced at first. I also see the builds with different eyes now. The 8x8 studs are cleverly made and help with reading and understanding the story.

Thanks for the honest feedback. I didn't want to separate each chapter into a topic of it's own like @Captain Braunsfeld does with his own stories, because my MOCs aren't as elaborate as his. Maybe I should add links to the different posts in the first post.

As I've said above: the next chapter will probably be uploaded over the weekend.

32 minutes ago, Khorne said:

Thanks for the honest feedback. I didn't want to separate each chapter into a topic of it's own like @Captain Braunsfeld does with his own stories, because my MOCs aren't as elaborate as his. Maybe I should add links to the different posts in the first post.

You found a fine way of story-telling using those vignettes and the text to go along with it. 

And having it all in one post is also a good idea. (I have to do all this chaptering... :pir_wacko:  And after each new chapter, I edit the old one to have a link to the new chapter, etc. ...)

Those links to the further parts might be helpful - but then you'll be updating too all the time.

You're pictures are fine: posing, lighting, details. :pir-huzzah2:  And be happy that you can go with just one picture. For my chapter 7 I took more than 100 pictures, from which I downselected those that would support the story in the best possible way. But it takes so much time :pir-grin:

Chapter IV. - Into Darkness

53127244093_8ab166ec32_c.jpg

It was early in the morning when captain Lysandre left Fort Arltrees with his squadron on Gendarmes, accompanied by Manaaki - the Tyree'dee guide. They left at the crack of dawn when most of the settlement was either still asleep or only barely getting up, in order to avoid raising too much suspicion and thus diminishing the chance of a rat in the settlement reaching out to members of the Brigade Rouge.

As a mounted force, the Gendarmes made quick work of first kilometers into the hinterlands of El Oleonda. It was only when the jungle became too thick, dark and difficult to traverse in a mounted fashion that the group left their horses behind and continued afoot, carrying only what was needed. A handful of soldiers remained behind to protect the horses and safeguard the way out.

Lysandre, Manaaki and the others continued, albeit at a much slower pace now. Warily, they crept through the exotic plants and vegetation of the jungle. Despite the relative darkness of the forest's interior, it was still a sensorily overwhelming experience as the jungle was buzzing with life and color. The group either communicated in hand signals or hushed voice, as to not give away their presence too much. After all, they weren't the only hunters here and their goal was to approach their prey undetected.

After the Lotii siege of Seawatch had broken down, many Lotii and Monomontachi wandered the forest in ragtag bands looking for a way out. Locating and sneaking around these men was nerve-racking and time-consuming, but Lysandre and his men pressed on nonetheless. Stashing their carbines, they took out their sabers in case it would come to a standoff, but luckily for them Manaaki was an expert guide and safely led them through the jungle undetected.

-----

Phew, it took me a bit longer than expected to post this, even though I had the MOC ready some time ago. Unexpectedly busy weekend and week.

I've added a table of contents to the first post now, for ease of viewing.

One more today, because I missed my own deadline last week...

Interlude I. - Love (For The Cause) Will Tear Us Apart

53127607199_3e57f4dd66_c.jpg

"Your turn is over, Nicolas. I have the high ground now," smirked Nestor Antonin as he stood atop a turned-over crate. "I am the speaker now."

Begrudgingly Nicolas threw his hands in the air and admitted defeat in the matter. Nestor was right, those were the rules of the soap box. The speaker's corner, consisting of naught but an empty soap box - ammo crate, in this case - was a ritual true to the roots of the Red Brigade's popular origin and egalitarian values as per Dorée's and the Heraclian teachings.

"See, fellow comrades. Brothers in arms," Nestor began, "this is what is has come to - the cause we are supposedly fighting for! Our esteemed leader would even outright refuse our right to parlay. To what right? We are supposedly all equals here, are we not?"

The crowd muttered. Since the failure at Seawatch and a string of military failures on the side of the Lotii alliance, the morale of the Brigade Rouge's fighters was slowly ebbing away. A great believe in the cause and a sense of unity against the imperialist aggressors of the Old World was starting to give way to dissent.

"We've been stuck on this miserable island for years now, with no progress in sight! The Alliance has El Oleonda surrounded, making it even more difficult for us to leave this place alive. And for what? Why did we come here?", Nestor eyed Nicolas, who was fuming.

"They told us we would make money here to support the Cause on the home front. That we would gain valuable military experience to enable and strengthen the uprising in Oléon. That El Oleonda would be the first step in smashing the imperialists' power!"

Nestor was wildly gesticulating to accentuate his anger. He paused briefly and took in his audience of fellow soldiers. All tired and dirty of fighting this war and living in the forest for years.

"How is the death of our comrades a learning experience that will help the struggle in Oléon? How is siding with Oriental imperialists in this kings' conflict any aid to those families who cannot afford to buy food? We should be in Oléon, not here. We should be helping our own, not killing them in this pointless struggle! We have merely traded in one set of leaders and kings for others. How is fighting for Nicolas any different than fighting the King's war?"

At this point Nicolas intervened. "Enough! You are a disgrace to the Cause, Antonin", he barked.

"No! Your Cause is the disgrace", Nestor riposted. "You long for freedom of the individual and abolition of the classes, yet you uphold a system of castes of your own. You mock the wars of the royalists, yet you have us in one of your own. No more!"

As he was about to end his speech, Nestor thought of the Lotii teachings he had read during his time fighting alongside them. "The Lotii believe in the Elements. Air being one of them. They say it is the element of freedom, because it is unrooted and detached from the world. So should we become detached from these worldly problems and concerns and find true freedom in life."

He stepped of the soap box as he raised his fist in the air. "Down with the system."

Nestor packed his gear and with a handful of deserters - followers who were also sick of the current state of events, he left the camp; ousted by Nicolas.

-----

Turned out way longer than intended. The Interlude is longer than the actual chapters :laugh:. Kudos to anyone reading this!

Two more fine vignettes of yours! Your stories are so well written, i assume you must be a professor of literature by trade :pir_laugh2:

Manaaki is such a unique character and great minifigure, i hope to learn more of his adventures. That Lotii soldier also looks very good. Where does that torso come from? Speaker's corner also a very nice idea :thumbup:

15 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Manaaki is such a unique character and great minifigure,

Seconded. Love the horizontal feather. A really classy touch. 

16 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Two more fine vignettes of yours! Your stories are so well written, i assume you must be a professor of literature by trade :pir_laugh2:

Manaaki is such a unique character and great minifigure, i hope to learn more of his adventures. That Lotii soldier also looks very good. Where does that torso come from? Speaker's corner also a very nice idea :thumbup:

Haha, thanks! I'm in no way a literature professor though. I'm a graphic designer IRL. I don't even use English all that much any more in daily life. I used to be better at it when I was in school, because then you use it on a weekly basis in class. Nowadays, I only need it sporadically during a call with an international client, for example. So, yeah, thanks for the compliment :thumbup:.

The torso is from one of the Chinese New Year sets. Those have lovely oriental designs. I just bought mine on Bricklink.

1 hour ago, Ross Fisher said:

Seconded. Love the horizontal feather. A really classy touch. 

Funny how Manaaki is drawing attention, since I never really intended him to be more than a minor side character. Glad you like the minifigure!

Great set of stories. The story is really good and developping just enough for the small builds to show. Great work

I like Chapter IV and Interlude I from the story and builds. The links on Interlude I are interesting and I've read them all. I like La Brigade Rouge, maybe I could recruit 2 company for the NOD army? They would look different in the NOD army but would be good for telling a story. Do I have permission? The NOD army was involved in the successful visit and and free souvenirs to Mooreton Bay in 623. :pir-grin:

8 hours ago, NOD said:

I like Chapter IV and Interlude I from the story and builds. The links on Interlude I are interesting and I've read them all. I like La Brigade Rouge, maybe I could recruit 2 company for the NOD army? They would look different in the NOD army but would be good for telling a story. Do I have permission? The NOD army was involved in the successful visit and and free souvenirs to Mooreton Bay in 623. :pir-grin:

Thanks, NOD!

The Red Brigade functions primarily as a unit of mercenaries, to fund their revolutionary activities in Oléon. As such, you can hire them to fight for you, but you can't recruit them into your army as a regular unit. After all, they are not Sea Rats :tongue:. They are still Oléonese and believe in the country and a government, they just want a different type of government.

So if you want to hire them and use them in a build, go ahead! Just try to stick to their background lore :sweet:.

Interlude II. - This Is The Way

53287274298_c3cd7c66ff_c.jpg

Some time ago, before currents events.

The breeze rolling over the sea and into the port city of Tarzout barely made it to its medina and was only a slight consolation in the sweltering heat of a Guelphian afternoon. Despite the high sun, the souk was bustling with people. It was one of the many shopping districts in Tarzout's city center. The banners above fluttered ever so slightly in the wind and did their best to keep most of the sun out.

Noorah and Andromeda pushed their way through the crowd, Noorah being visibly more used to it than the lieutenant-colonel - who was largely annoyed by the location of this impromptu meeting. If one could even call it that.

"I have reason to believe we have located the position of one of the Brigade Rouge's key men on El Oleonda," Noorah said, trying to raise the volume of her voice above the noise of the bazaar, yet not make it too loud and draw attention or eavesdroppers. "I'm entrusting this operation to you. The tide on El Oleonda is currently is turning in our favor. The net around the Brigade's units still there is tightening and I want to make sure we use the situation to our utmost advantage. We could learn valuable information from the subject."

As she moved through the souk and talked, Noorah took a look at the wares and sometimes stopped to smell some of the spices for sale - gesturing her servant to buy some. Even though she lived in the casbah, or fortress, above Tarzout - the eponymous Roche in her surname, she often ventured into the lower city to hear the latest rumors and gossip. And do some shopping, of course.

"It's wholly unbecoming of the proletarians to arm themselves and dare question the legitimacy of our great king and institutions. Politics are not meant for peasants. There is a system in place and it is up to us to make sure it stays that way. Ours is the way of Mount Aplynacus, with our king on top and we as his servants. And in turn, we do as is expected of us and the plebeian masses serve us."

"The King does not care for their minor grievances. I don't care. We each have our part to play. The eagle mourns not the hare it hunts. Nor will I shed a tear when I kill the eagle and take it as a trophy."

Noorah stopped and turned to Andromeda. "Do you understand, lieutenant-colonel? Aplynacus, Andromeda. And it is us who are part of the summit. Make the rabble understand."

"This is the way," the Spider said. Andromeda raised an eyebrow. Noorah chuckled and motioned towards an archway. "The way out of this bazaar."

-----

Waaaaay later than expected and not quite the update I had planned, but at least here's something. I shuffled the story around a bit and made some extra MOCs, which I have now also shot. I expect this to go a lot smoother again now. The end is certainly near!

Sorry for the long wait!

Extra picture:

Spoiler

53287274303_46c974169f_c.jpg