img0.png

Hello everyone,

this model of a Tower Crane is made only with 1166 pieces and controlled with either smart device or physical remote. In order to all functions of that model, you get a complete overview in this article how to build and how to control this crane.

You can find instructions here if you're interested in building this model.

Summary of Functions & Features

• remote controlled with PoweredUp
  • 2-way-gearbox to select between functions
  • motorized hook, trolley and 360° crane rotation
  • Hub with batteries as counterweight
  • modular building with extendable tower
  • Minifigure scale to fit City layouts
  • openable cabin
  • 83cm superstructure length
  • 70cm tower height

Impressions

img4.png

img1.png

img3.png

img5.png

img7.png

img9.png

img14.png

Electronic components

The crane uses the newest PoweredUp electronics to power all the functions. In order to remotely control this model, a physical remote pad is not mandatory because the crane is also controllable with optional smart device and PoweredUp app.

img10.png

Shaped with some system pieces, the PoweredUp 2-port hub with batteries included fits perfectly as counterweight and is easily replaceable.

img6.png

Simply turn on the hub by finger press and connect them to either PoweredUp app or physical remote to let the fun begin.

img8.png

The official set 76112 Batman RC Batmobile offers all electronic PoweredUp components they are needed to control this Tower Crane.

batmobile.jpg

Trains (60197, 60198, 60336, 60337) from the City theme are also nice and welcome starting packs for electronics, because they all include one PoweredUp hub and a physical remote pad, which then requires only 2 additional medium motors.

Controlling the crane

Heart of the design and probably the most interesting part building this model is the controllable gearbox behind the cabin. Where motor A controls the movement of the trolley, the functions of motor B are selected through gearbox.

img2.png

The following configurations are possible when playing with this crane and two motors together:

Motor A - Motor B

Trolley - Hook

Trolley - neutral

Trolley - 360° rotation

For the crane it is very important to have a neutral position for rotating the superstructure. In case this function is unselected, the crane can freely rotate and prevent from falling. This is a feature that can be also seen on real Tower Cranes.

img13.png

All functions are secured with clutch gears to prevent damage. The winch for the hook has also a safety mechanism included. This holds the cargo even when the function is unselected.

Controlling the crane is thinkable easy. In the PoweredUp app it just requires a profile with two slider - one for motor A and one for motor B. That means that this crane is controllable with a custom profile or even with the available one from Batmobile.

pu1.png

pu2.png

Keep in mind that controlling the model does not require a smart device by using the physical remote pad.

Building the crane

Splitted in separately parts, building this Tower Crane feels like constructing the real thing. Official strings (part 37597, 56823) are used in this model that are widely used with many lengths in other Technic sets. Of course you can use any other strings you want.

img12.png

The crane uses a modular building style where each part of the tower fits to each other. The inventory includes all parts that are required to build exactly one middle section, but it is still possible to omit and to create a crane with a lower height of the tower.

img15.png

Furthermore the height of the tower can be extended by replicating a middle section stacked to each other. A higher tower then requires a longer string for the hook for sure.

img11.png

The following inventory shows only the parts they are needed to build one more middle section:

parts.png

Made with Minifigure

The cabin can be opened to put a Minifure (without hair or hat) inside. Since this Tower Crane is made in Minifigure scale, it matches perfectly each layout with Trains or Construction vehicles also in the City theme.

img16.png

img17.png

Instructions

Premium instructions for this model consists of 283 pages with high quality images and building steps very close to the Lego Technic ones. The instructions helps alot on how to connect strings and wires correctly. Following are some example pages to show the quality of instructions:

i110_1x.png

i133_1x.png

i195_1x.png

i212_1x.png

i257_1x.png

Goal with this model was to create a Tower Crane that is not that big and expensive and buildable for everyone. Tons of hours are spent to experience with balancing and stability. The end result is pretty neat, the crane works just perfect but dont expect too heavy loads on it. The model fits all standards for easy building and color-coded components.

If you're interested in building this model, you can buy instructions here and support me and my future work.

Have fun with this Remote Controlled Tower Crane.

Follow me on Instagram for updates and news

Very well looking tower crane. For a moment you had me thinking the first MOC for the LR13000 was already finished.

Do you have any real build photo's/video, or is it just a digital model? I could imagine anyone wanting to build (and buy) it would first want to see it working.

Edited by Mr Jos

19 minutes ago, Mr Jos said:

Do you have any real build photo's/video

The model is a better and updated version of the licensed Tower Crane for Reobrix #22013 from me. They made some mistakes in manual and stability unfortunately. For example their battery pack is too heavy, where the PU hub with batteries fits way better as counterweight. It works better with Lego parts and programmable interface of the app and was initially designed with Lego parts and PoweredUp in 2019 and yet updated to use some newer parts.

Here is a short demonstration:

Edited by Timorzelorzworz