nerdsforprez

42146 - Liebherr LR 13000 MODs and Improvements

6 hours ago, Aleh said:

Hello! IsĀ it possible to operate this set using PS5 gamepad? How to do this?

I wanted to add an extra motor to move the ballast like in the real crane and configured a profile in BrickController2 with a PS4 controller. I think it would work with a PS5 controller as well but havent tested it yet as my PS5 was downstairs :-)

Edited by Marno
add link to Play Store

Based on the TD-sheets from Liebherr and the Lego instructions I calculated some 1:[x] scales of the 42146 dimensions:

track width 2.400: [60]
tracks center-to-center 19.830: [52,7]
total width 16.400: [62]
tracks height 3.840: [42]
tracks total length 21.900: [49]
sprockets center-to-bottom ~1.091: [39]
tracks length of upper horizontal part ~9.400: [45]
main boom and derrick width ~4.000: [73]
main boom thickness ~3.500: [63]
derrick thickness ~2.800: [50]
main boom pivot center-to-bottom ~6.300: [48]

The main scale seems to revolve around 1:50 and as the conclusion was when the first photos leaked: the proportions are (way) off.
The tracks optimum width is 6 studs in 1:50 so I myself might MOD my version more towards a 1:55-60 scale. The side profile of the 13000 undercarriage is determined by the relatively small sprockets. They give the tracks a long slender look which I miss in the bulky LEGO version. It's the thing that annoys me the most at the moment.
The 57519 sprockets are better proportioned and would equal a 1:55 scale. Not available in DBG and also 5 studs high like the motors so that will be a nice challenge.
An even bigger challenge are the booms. The new lattice pieces are not only single purpose but also single scale. You can only make a square 7x7 boom which is totally inadequate for a realistic model of any make. In 1:55 the main boom should be 9x8 studs and the Derrick 9x6-7 studs.

Of course there are tons of other issues to solve. Feel free to add more scales to my list or correct any mistakes.

7 hours ago, LegoM4 said:

Notļ»æ available in DBG and also 5 studs high like the motors sļ»æo that will be a nice challenge.

You can probably just use the black ones, cover them up with round DBG tiles and plates and it'll more or less look fine

Has anyone 3D printed the new lattice sections rather than buying additional sets? I havenā€™t seen any mods with conventional lift arm sections yet.Ā 

1 hour ago, matthewloew said:

Has anyone 3D printed the new lattice sections rather than buying additional sets? I havenā€™t seen any mods with conventional lift arm sections yet.Ā 

I don't have a 3d printer unfortunately. I extended it using several 7x11 and 5x7 beam frames which is sturdy enough. Might not look as great obviously but it's a lot bigger now which makes it more fun to play with :-)

Got to playing around yesterday. Removed one section from the jib and stuck it in the crane lift arm. It kind of makes the prospective better without incurring an extra expense. I did have to add a couple 6632 pieces but that was all.

Before

After

I am contemplating doing something similar with the boom, removing one section and sticking it on the lift arm. (Hope I'm using the proper terminology!)Ā 

Having just finished the build of the undercarriage, apart from disliking the shape of the tracks, I also dislike the way the drive motors are attached. They, along with the battery box, hang between the tracks on one side where the original only has air.

I'm unsure how this could be fixed though. Certainly the planetary hub would have to be dropped. Most likely this would involve a gear train similar to what 42100 had. Though hiding an angular motor inside the tracks should be easier than doing the same with an XL motor. Also, moving the battery box to the centre of the undercarriage would either weaken it structurally, or eliminate all semblance of ground clearance.

On 8/27/2023 at 11:01 PM, matthewloew said:

Iā€™m printing it now in PLA. Iā€™ll post an update when it is finished and assembled.Ā 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwwJkATxEHd/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Edited by matthewloew

On 9/3/2023 at 12:03 PM, matthewloew said:

Iā€™m printing it now in PLA. Iā€™ll post an update when it is finished and assembled.Ā 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwwJkATxEHd/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Update: I printed and assembled 8 sections for a new boom. The original sections are redistributed to the mast and jib. I need to re-string the entire model as the provided strings are all too short. Iā€™ll post pictures soon.Ā 

On 9/9/2023 at 8:25 PM, matthewloew said:

Update: I printed and assembled 8 sections for a new boom. The original sections are redistributed to the mast and jib. I need to re-string the entire model as the provided strings are all too short. Iā€™ll post pictures soon.Ā 

:thumbup::thumbup:Ā  Ā  I know I, for one, would love to see them....Ā 

On 9/13/2023 at 5:40 AM, aminnich said:

Excellent work! Did you consider including the pin into the track pad print so you wouldnā€™t have the pin sticking out the other side like you do now?Ā 

Yes, tried incorporating the pinā€™s snap-fit feature into the printed part but the results were poor. Altered the design to use a light press-fit on the pins and have them do the snap-fit retention. Worked really well. I may go back and sand off the protruding studs at some pointā€¦

Nice work! I've contemplated trying to build this set from my inventory, but in order to do so, I'd have to find more track, work PF motors in, and then 3D print all of the frame sections, which honestly just sounds like too much work for a model that'll be too compromised.

Anyways, I love your application of 3D printing to modify the model cheaply!

1 hour ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Anyways, I love your application of 3D printing to modify the model cheaply!

LOL - not if you don't own a 3D printer!

6 minutes ago, Lego Tom said:

LOL - not if you don't own a 3D printer!

Oh, do you not? Yeah, that wouldn't be so cheap then!

Iā€™d love to print these parts on my printer but I have no use for them. Iā€™m waiting for the LR13000 to go on sale.Ā 

Any plans to upload them to thingiverse? Also, which yellow filament did you use? The print color matches LEGO yellow pretty yet.Ā 

5 hours ago, Davidz90 said:

Not a mod, strictly speaking, but I suppose it may be relevant here.

Ā 

Saw this on FB.Ā  This is the version I would like to build.Ā  No special truss pieces needed.Ā  Boom seems to be out of regular LA.Ā 

I built boxes to add counter weight. They currently have an extra 2.3lbs of lead per box which helps tremendously when lifting heavier loads:

20230916_085541%20-%20Copy-X4.jpg

20230916_085527%20-%20Copy-X4.jpg

On 9/14/2023 at 5:24 PM, aminnich said:

Iā€™d love to print these parts on my printer but I have no use for them. Iā€™m waiting for the LR13000 to go on sale.Ā 

Any plans to upload them to thingiverse? Also, which yellow filament did you use? The print color matches LEGO yellow pretty yet.Ā 

Truss parts are already on Thingiverse (I didn't design them):Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā Lego Technic 42146 new parts frames by Michael535 on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6113344

The material is SUNLU 1.75mm PLA "Pure Yellow" from Amazon. I'm very happy with the material.

The original CAD design for the track treads I designed are on Onshape.com but I didn't upload the STL to a sharable site like Thingiverse. I'll create an account the next time I have something to share and upload then.

Hi,

I am building LEGO tech models for a lot of years, waiting for a big crane like the Liebherr 1300. And then, in my opinion, LEGO failed on realisation of the set :-(

Playing with it wasĀ very boring because a the small size and lowĀ load.

So it was the first time a decided to buy a set for a second time to make it more playable. Here is the result, and I am very satisfied with the result and the playability.

(I am wondering why I can only upload these small fies? Sorry for that.)

GB_1.JPG

36 minutes ago, Minitiguan said:

Welcome to Eurobricks, nice mod!

This forum isn't the place to host your photos, you should use another service like Imgur or Flickr to do that, and link the photos in your posts.

15 hours ago, Minitiguan said:

Hi,

I am building LEGO tech models for a lot of years, waiting for a big crane like the Liebherr 1300. And then, in my opinion, LEGO failed on realisation of the set :-(

Playing with it wasĀ very boring because a the small size and lowĀ load.

So it was the first time a decided to buy a set for a second time to make it more playable. Here is the result, and I am very satisfied with the result and the playability.

Ā 

Looks great. Use a photo host, then embed links using this line:
Pic%20Insert-X2.jpg

Edited by Lego Tom