Yatkuu

[ENTRY] Big Kahuna's Atoll

Aloha everyone!

I am happy to present my entry in the category "Design a new Classic-Style set" - Big Kahuna's atoll

53073605958_2dd3e58e2a_c.jpg

Big Kahuna's atoll - Main view 2 by Gregory Coquelz, on Flickr

53073505425_57bacc11e9_c.jpg

Big Kahuna's atoll - Main view 1 by Gregory Coquelz, on Flickr

800x600.jpg

53073101486_9058a46367_c.jpg

Big Kahuna's atoll - the Moai by Gregory Coquelz, on Flickr

I wanted to give the old Islanders sub-theme a proper homage, and this is the result or at least what I wish LEGO would do, if they ever wanted to revisit the theme and make a set that would look good next to the Barracuda Bay and the new Eldorado Fortress.

I went all in with the colors, the wildlife... and tried to depict a little slice of island paradise.

Thanks for watching, and best of luck to all in the contest!

Edited by Yatkuu

This is such a lovely build! I really like the hut and the statue with the offerings. Great idea and technique for the crap trap/cage.

Theme

The build looks like a fine islander location, with a lot of life and play opportunites-but no enemies, no pirates or even crocodiles! I also dislike the fact that there's a kind of statue (in dark gray) that appears made to have some sort of play feature but just sits there, unused. At least there's an octopus underneath the island, but it doesn't appear to be defending anything...

Build

This is the part where your build shines, with a nice mix of lively colours and play+display elements (like those cages, for instance), I have no complaints here, which says a lot, except for that statue, which should have proper ears and a face (or, alternatively, a play feature like mentioned earlier), the build is very minifig friendly, which is a nice plus, good job! 

P.S. this is the most aesthetically pleasing entry I've seen to date, and it looks much better than the spludges of brown-grey most mocs use.

I like this entry a lot, islanders is very underrated and it is hard to find many good builds on the internet. One thing I would add would be some more colour to the building, since there was a lot of colour in the original sets

This is a creative and a great addition to Lego Pirates. I like how the two islands are connected with a bridge. The Fish trap is intelligent and well built. I also like the hut with the palm fronds on the roof.

The statue should be upgraded or simply replaced with rocks. Are there only men on the atoll? A woman should be there too.

35 minutes ago, NOD said:

Are there only men on the atoll? A woman should be there too.

Second picture from the top there's a gal with an axe :)

Impressive set, very well made! My first quick impression tho it that it's kinda blurry the way it;s presented. I'd propose to change that background from blue to something different, green, blue, orange, whatever, just so that Your creation would look more clear and would stand out, right now it's all one big stew for me, i need to sharpen my eyes to get all the details and inspect how it looks as a whole ;) 

May i suggest that You could use some sand or plant elements to cut those rocks from water? When i compare those two parts of Your set - the island with a house and that island with the statue, it's hard not to reflect on the fact that Your rock kinda blends with it's aquatic surrounding. So i would add some floral or sandy element to make it stand out from the water. 

Also, as there's so much happening and it's a big set indeed, i'd prefer to switch few pieces for more minifigs. I mean, at first i was quite sure there would be some pirates or soldiers trapped inside that net trap, instead of crabs and maybe that's an idea. Right now the whole place look kinda dull realy. And i believe simple changes such as placing fire under that fish rack could bring more life into it. 

I'm not sure if it's not too browny at the same time. There's so many of such elements that they do take attention from Your island/s which should be the main dish. And i'm not a fan of that bridge, so maybe it could be replaced by some rocky crossing? I've read that some tribesmen used this sort of a bridge, were there was a narrow walk way for feet, but there was also a line one had to hold on to to cross to the other side. Not sure if it would make much sense since Your islanders surely must carry all those offerings for their goods somehow, but it;s just a thing i'd like to see in a Lego set someday and i think it would look better in here. Well, anyting else instead if that strange hollow bridge would be better in my honest opinion ;) 

As for the statue, You said You wanted to go full color with this set, so maybe she could use bit more colorful elements too? Like diamonds for eyes and bones for teets perhaps? And as the statue is quite big, is there some secret compartment inside it? Looking at those round elements i got a feeling it could be openable? 

11 minutes ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

Second picture from the top there's a gal with an axe :)

You're right. A woman with an axe!  :pir-oh: There is no such thing as going out for a drink with buddies after work! It's better for the man to come home immediately after work.

Wonderful build!  I love the lobster trap, the octopus underneath, the red frog, and all the other great details crammed in here.

I think it needs a bit more color, some more red would be great.  The canoe with the ama needs a sail.  And I'd love to see some kind of statue to fit the original islanders theme.  Really great work overall, though, this is a terrific design.

Overall a great build with lots of nice details like the coconuts, the hut and the catamaran.  A couple suggestion I might add,

• Maybe color the extended arm of the catamaran to be red instead of the brown.
  • The rock island seems a bit odd that it doesn't have sand around the rocks especially since it is right next to a sandy island. It would be hard to do at this point but putting sand underneath the rocks would fit or at least some sand on a side of the rocks. Again, probably hard to do at this point but it would increase the cohesion of the two islands being right next to each other.

Très jolie construction mais pas assez sur le thème pirate car ce sont des indigènes/insulaires qui sont représentés.

Hormis ça, j'aime beaucoup la hutte et son toit de feuilles !

Edited by omby54