Sign in to follow this  
T-86(swe)

Sanctuary of light [Dandelume, Avalonia]

I continue with my quest to do builds and cross-posting my Dandelume-story and the Summer Joust. This is a build centered around the heroine Dand El Alume in the lore of my settlement. 

53045876754_63d04b3ab1.jpg

"Members of the elven company used to stay at the sanctuary of light during recovery periods depending on how injured they were. Spending time in this revered location was filled with light, kinship and union. The sanctuary bestowed every visitor with a possibility to heal; in heart, body and soul.

For an entire year after defeating the spirit of the druids Dand El Alume lived in the sanctum. She saw light reentering her loyal elven comrades. They prayed to the gods, sat and watched the waves slowly moving against the small cliffs. But Dand couldn’t, even after a year, bring herself to forget…or to dispel the dark haze that lingered inside her. She still needed a cane to walk, her leg had not yet healed. 

A cane that had been lathed out of a branch from the very tree towering over her. 

The light from the house with the green dome shimmered and the ancient stone podiums were warm even in night time. As Dand remained enlaced by her inner shadow under the ancestral tree she saw Valedor embraced with light, he was smiling once more…"

Edited by T-86(swe)

This is excellent! I really like the tree and sanctuary area, and the round building with lighting is great!

17 hours ago, LordDan said:

This is excellent! I really like the tree and sanctuary area, and the round building with lighting is great!

Thanks Dan, im glad you like it and took your time to respond to the post!

Very nice.  I like the SW planet half as a dome.  I think my favorite part is the tree.  It looks very organic, and the 3 leaf stems on the smaller limb pieces really break up the planarity of the small limb, which helps it look natural.  Is the tree trunk sturdy?  It looks like it is.  The two tone leaf colors work, and add some texture. You did a good job keeping the lighter color layered underneath, too, sort of a color blocking in the tree.  The tower looks good, and I like how you alternated the masonry bricks with the cylinders to add to the rounded feel and avoid sharp corners at the joints.  It helps sell the illusion of an octagon as a round tower.  Did you photoshop the light coming out of the tower?  If not, the photography is crazy, and I don't know how you did it!  The rockwork looks pretty decent, the snot helps a lot, although in a few points it looks a little too regular to me.  I think rockwork is an exceedingly difficult thing to do and make look natural.  The ocean, however, with the color layering underneath, is superb, and really sells itself.  I really like the sparse vines twisting in and out of the fence on the dais.  It looks just like a plant doing its best to grow in a rocky area.  Keep up the awesome work!

5 hours ago, Grover said:

Did you photoshop the light coming out of the tower?  If not, the photography is crazy, and I don't know how you did it! 

Jep, looks like Photoshop, but that does not take away from the magic of the build.

I wish i had one of those Star Wars planets but i found only the cloudy ones :laugh: in a local shop about 10 years after they had been released! And that tree! I can not stop looking at that tree. So good!

5 hours ago, Grover said:

Very nice.  I like the SW planet half as a dome.  I think my favorite part is the tree.  It looks very organic, and the 3 leaf stems on the smaller limb pieces really break up the planarity of the small limb, which helps it look natural.  Is the tree trunk sturdy?  It looks like it is.  The two tone leaf colors work, and add some texture. You did a good job keeping the lighter color layered underneath, too, sort of a color blocking in the tree.  The tower looks good, and I like how you alternated the masonry bricks with the cylinders to add to the rounded feel and avoid sharp corners at the joints.  It helps sell the illusion of an octagon as a round tower.  Did you photoshop the light coming out of the tower?  If not, the photography is crazy, and I don't know how you did it!  The rockwork looks pretty decent, the snot helps a lot, although in a few points it looks a little too regular to me.  I think rockwork is an exceedingly difficult thing to do and make look natural.  The ocean, however, with the color layering underneath, is superb, and really sells itself.  I really like the sparse vines twisting in and out of the fence on the dais.  It looks just like a plant doing its best to grow in a rocky area.  Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks Grover! The tree is very sturdy thanks to technique-pins inside. The lighting is actually a combination of real lights for direction of the light and then a digital edit for brightness, warmth and glow! Glad you noticed the small vine in the fence 😃

I can agree on the rockwork, I focused on the other parts of the build and in retrospect I should have taken my time with the cliffs as well!

16 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Jep, looks like Photoshop, but that does not take away from the magic of the build.

I wish i had one of those Star Wars planets but i found only the cloudy ones :laugh: in a local shop about 10 years after they had been released! And that tree! I can not stop looking at that tree. So good!

Thanks! I know that my fellow swede builder Gideon has a nice collection of quite a few domes, perhaps he can ship one or two your way 😉

2 hours ago, T-86(swe) said:

Thanks! I know that my fellow swede builder Gideon has a nice collection of quite a few domes, perhaps he can ship one or two your way 😉

Haha Thanks but no thanks :thumbup: That was not my intention :wink:

On 7/18/2023 at 4:15 AM, Yperio_Bricks said:

I agree, it does not detract at all. I was mostly curious, since if he managed to get that glow with a camera only, I wanted to know how!

On 7/18/2023 at 4:37 AM, T-86(swe) said:

Thanks Grover! The tree is very sturdy thanks to technique-pins inside. The lighting is actually a combination of real lights for direction of the light and then a digital edit for brightness, warmth and glow! Glad you noticed the small vine in the fence

I think the real lights blends with the photoshop, making it look more realistic.  In any case, it is well done. :classic:

4 hours ago, Grover said:

I agree, it does not detract at all. I was mostly curious, since if he managed to get that glow with a camera only, I wanted to know how!

I think the real lights blends with the photoshop, making it look more realistic.  In any case, it is well done. :classic:

Would have been an amazing skill to have to be able to get that final result without digital edit 😃. Unfortunately Im some galaxies away from it! 

Nicely composed MOC in my opinion!

The tree here is fantastic and I like the lighting effects. :thumbup:

On 8/30/2023 at 10:08 PM, mrcp6d said:

Nicely composed MOC in my opinion!

The tree here is fantastic and I like the lighting effects. :thumbup:

Thanks man! Many people like the tree, Im satisfied with the outcome but think that I could have made it more dense on the low right branch.

I saw this a long time ago on flickr and now I saw it here in the forum and have finally time to comment on it :-). As others have mentioned, the lightning is really cool and makes this build stand out. Especially because it would be not so colourfull without it. The tree looks also great! Nice work man!

On 12/6/2023 at 10:21 PM, Simon_S said:

I saw this a long time ago on flickr and now I saw it here in the forum and have finally time to comment on it :-). As others have mentioned, the lightning is really cool and makes this build stand out. Especially because it would be not so colourfull without it. The tree looks also great! Nice work man!

Thanks Simon for taking time to comment the build 😃 I agree that the lighting balanced the lack of color in the final result!

Great job incorporating the round shapes into the stone - it makes it look fit into the plants of the scene.

On 1/31/2024 at 3:05 AM, jtooker said:

Great job incorporating the round shapes into the stone - it makes it look fit into the plants of the scene.

Thanks man!