Murdoch17

XL two track railway locomotive shed (finished in real bricks 10/4/23)

This model was originally built by my father around 2005 / 2006 for an old 9v-style MOC steam engine we built together based off set 7722. It was three tracks long and one track wide at first, but I reworked it to be five tracks long and two tracks wide in late 2015. Both of these earlier models were almost totally black with a little splash of red. Fast forward to 2023: I have remodeled the MOC almost entirely. I've changed most of the black to tan, blocking up the lowest row of windows, and changing the red doors to light gray. The roof remains untouched except for twelve parts above the doors / back wall.

53234724765_c9dbdb4a95_z.jpg

The building is a little under 5 tracks long, or about 75 studs in length. The maximum side clearance is good enough for a 10 stud wide model (no overhang at that width) while the trains can be no more than 11 bricks tall.

53234724770_0d2ff7b97d_z.jpg

Here we see the rear of the MOC. 

53234598689_f57d9ff685_z.jpg

The roof comes off and the inside has a new raised platform to allow for maintenance to the engines. (before it was just totally empty) This model can hold most of my steam engine designs (not all at once of course!),  although it is probably too short in length for some of my diesel units.

The  dismantled 2015 version is in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

53027329016_793c45612e_z.jpg

The older version of the model on my layout. It's a little dusty, it had been sitting unused for several years in a open-top wooden box. It donated a lot of parts to the new build. 

EDIT 10/4/23: Real pictures added, entire post restructured.

Thoughts?

Edited by Murdoch17

Nice one Murdoch17. Will fit in well with the rest of your designs!

This is awesome! Great, now I have another project to start! Thanks!

Just kidding, this is an amazing design. I love the way it has been designed to maximise the same common types of parts, Keeps the costs down whilst also looking the part. Now my Son has seen it I have been tasked with designing one for our layout!

10 hours ago, JopieK said:

Nice one Murdoch17. Will fit in well with the rest of your designs!

Thank you @JopieK!

8 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Nice indeed. I like those big doors.

Thanks @Man with a hat. Those doors were a later addition, probably around 2017 or so. They currently use click hinges, so they are a bit finnicky and break often. I'm going to use regular clips on the new doors, which should reduce the strain when moving them.

2 hours ago, Toxic43 said:

This is awesome! Great, now I have another project to start! Thanks!

Just kidding, this is an amazing design. I love the way it has been designed to maximise the same common types of parts, Keeps the costs down whilst also looking the part. Now my Son has seen it I have been tasked with designing one for our layout!

Thanks! However, if you do build you own, I would highly suggest making your version shorter, @Toxic43. Whatever your engines longest dimension is, add a few studs and their is your length. My version needs a wooden crate with metal handles to be carried properly for long distances, and when turned sideways will not fit though doors. (with or without the crate!)

So I finished the deconstruction of the original shed, and started finding parts for the rebuild. I decided to change the redone version to tan (instead of red), as I have more of that.

53079211429_0fb0753aab_z.jpg

I've got 1,065 parts found or assembled (the roof was never taken apart) for my train shed. All of what you see here is from my own collection.

53079512823_94d5c60735_z.jpg

Only 534 parts left to order out of the 1599 on the entire model! This model will be be finished in early November or mid-October.

Thoughts?

On 7/31/2023 at 4:07 PM, Shiva said:

Looks interesting :)

Sorry for the late reply, but it's done!

53234724765_c9dbdb4a95_z.jpg

More pictures can be seen in the first post!

I'm also tagging @Darkkostas25, @JopieK, @Toxic43 , and @Man with a hat because they had posted here already and might want to see the finished product!

Edited by Murdoch17