thomas_jenkins_bricks

[M4-23 - Nature is After You] - Yub Nub!

52954459705_f636ea16d1_c.jpg'Nature is After You' - Endor by Thomas  Jenkins, on Flickr

My entry for the Eurobricks May 4th Contest, Nature is After You category.

52954076756_afc25dc35a_c.jpg'Nature is After You' - Endor by Thomas  Jenkins, on Flickr

The prompt inspired me to try my had at terrain building- another building genre I've never tried before. I learned a lot form this little diorama and I think I'll try it again in the future. It was way more difficult to construct believable terrain, so props to the builders that make it look so easy! I went through a lot of different colour combos to emulate the Endor vibe but I was mostly limited by the bricks in my collection. My Bricklink wishlst has grown considerably over the course of this contest! 

52954217979_b8d83a0d3f_c.jpg'Nature is After You' - Endor by Thomas  Jenkins, on Flickr

I never thought I’d build myself an AT-ST. With some interesting shapes and a handful of greebles, it was a very fun little project and made even more so due to the fact I didn’t have to worry about how the thing would stand on two legs! There are so many incredible MOCs of the vehicle in the community, it was hard not to be influenced by a few of them, but hopefully I’ve produced something unique. 

I think you succeeded in creating a new AT-ST! Great job with all the angles. How did you get the tree to stay together so well without gaps?

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

I think you succeeded in creating a new AT-ST! Great job with all the angles. How did you get the tree to stay together so well without gaps?

Thanks :) im quite proud with how the AT-ST came together. I might have to try to make a version of this that stands up now!

A combination of these on the inside and these on the outside (and some 1x1 hollow round plates) keep the tree together and keep it standing upright. I hadn’t seen a tree made like that before- I tried to do something different there. 

On 6/11/2023 at 12:47 PM, elfprince13 said:

I take it you fall into the "Ewoks ate the Stormtroopers" camp ;)

Isn't that canon? They had Han roasting over a fire, I don't know what else we were supposed to draw from that.

Regardless, aside from the excellent tree and leafy terrain, you made one of the best AT-ST Mocs I've seen. Bravo!

COOL Diorama!!! 

Do you think to realize a not-disassembled version of the AT-ST? could be great as well

Edited by dmonti79

16 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Isn't that canon? They had Han roasting over a fire, I don't know what else we were supposed to draw from that.

I mean yes, but the Star Wars fanbase is pretty notorious for complaining about "plot holes" that were ...actually just addressed on screen - the whole "Stormtroopers have bad aim" meme comes from ignoring Obi-Wan and Leia both verbally lampshading the fact that the Imperial military is very effective so it should be obvious that Vader has ordered the troops to let them escape the Death Star so he can track them to the rebel base....which is exactly what happens. The next time we see them in battle is in Hoth where they are deadly effective. And after that is Endor where....they are also very effective but overrun by apex predators who casually eat humans.

6 hours ago, elfprince13 said:

I mean yes, but the Star Wars fanbase is pretty notorious for complaining about "plot holes" that were ...actually just addressed on screen - the whole "Stormtroopers have bad aim" meme comes from ignoring Obi-Wan and Leia both verbally lampshading the fact that the Imperial military is very effective so it should be obvious that Vader has ordered the troops to let them escape the Death Star so he can track them to the rebel base....which is exactly what happens. The next time we see them in battle is in Hoth where they are deadly effective. And after that is Endor where....they are also very effective but overrun by apex predators who casually eat humans.

And the "stormtrooper have bad aim" got so popular that in stuff like rebels and mando, they're shown to have bad aim. Despite the fact that in the OT, like you say, the only time they aren't effective is the death star... where they literally state that the falcon's occupants were allowed to escape to lead them to the rebel base.

And at the same time, no one complained about force speed until people started complaining about force heal.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

And the "stormtrooper have bad aim" got so popular that in stuff like rebels and mando, they're shown to have bad aim. Despite the fact that in the OT, like you say, the only time they aren't effective is the death star... where they literally state that the falcon's occupants were allowed to escape to lead them to the rebel base.

Yeah, the "our fans don't pay attention to dialogue so we're canonizing this dumb meme" thing in Rebels + Mando really annoyed me.