-DoNe-

[MOC] DB Class 01 Steam locomotive w/ passenger car

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

I was thinking of suggesting this part for the roof at the end of the car

3535.png

But it is a constant radius curve so it would not transition smoothly to anything (easily done) on the rest of the car

In any event, looks great

Nice part proposal 👏 Such roof ending would certainly make it look much "lighter"/slimmer... Also I fancy the LBG colour, that may be an improvement itself over DBG. 

Isn't it easy to propose changes to other people's designs ...?(!) 😂

13 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

I was thinking of suggesting this part for the roof at the end of the car

3535.png

But it is a constant radius curve so it would not transition smoothly to anything (easily done) on the rest of the car

In any event, looks great

Might be worth giving it a go either way!

11 hours ago, Selander said:

Nice part proposal 👏 Such roof ending would certainly make it look much "lighter"/slimmer... Also I fancy the LBG colour, that may be an improvement itself over DBG. 

Isn't it easy to propose changes to other people's designs ...?(!) 😂

LBG is preferable to DGB you say? :dwacko:

9 hours ago, -DoNe- said:

Might be worth giving it a go either way!

LBG is preferable to DGB you say? :dwacko:

I'd definitely prefer a LBG roof for a DkGreen coach. It's just a better looking colour combo IMHO 😉

On 12/25/2023 at 7:30 AM, Selander said:

I'd definitely prefer a LBG roof for a DkGreen coach. It's just a better looking colour combo IMHO 😉

I'll give it a try!

The loco is now coming to life! I had a surprisingly large portion of the required parts at hand so I got quite far! Quite a bit of detail is lacking tho and the CMF-stands will not be used on the tender. 

Lego DB BR01 Dampflok WIP

4 hours ago, -DoNe- said:

I'll give it a try!

Why not start with a 4 long or 8 long stack of 1x bricks to simulate a section of the wall. Put it on enough of a base (bricks too?) to vertically align it with the locomotive. Then you can get a good feel for what the colors of the cars really look like behind the locomotive.

21 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Why not start with a 4 long or 8 long stack of 1x bricks to simulate a section of the wall. Put it on enough of a base (bricks too?) to vertically align it with the locomotive. Then you can get a good feel for what the colors of the cars really look like behind the locomotive.

I do like DBG myself, so I like to see it all in full detail when someone suggests a color. :grin:

2 hours ago, -DoNe- said:

I do like DBG myself, so I like to see it all in full detail when someone suggests a color. :grin:

Of course. The stack of 1x bricks is the 1 min preview before you build anything requiring any skill. But since you have it digitally, you could do that even quicker. Why not a render it both ways? (yeah, the obvious suggestion, presumably you already have)

Went ahead and tried a new design for the coaches. Now based around affordability as I would like to build 2 or three of them. These aren't based on any real passenger cars, sadly. Two areas need improvements; first of the black base corners under the doors don't harmonize well with the roof. Secondly I'm not 100% satisfied with the reddish brown striping. Should I remove it completely or re-color it?

DB Passenger carDB Passenger car

It's been 60 minutes so its time to present V2 of the passenger car... Apologies for the spam. 

Rounded corners on the bottom plate as well as plain green sides. I think will look the best with some additional stickers.

Lego DB passenger Car V2

Posted (edited)

I prefer the 2nd, all-DkGreen version with LBG roof 🤗. But, I'd make the wagon longer for better proportions.

Edited by Selander

I agree with @Selander, make the passenger car longer.  But I also prefer the first version with the brown stripes!

Can you actually buy the dark green train windows?  I didn't think think they ever made those (but I bet a cloner did).

1 hour ago, Selander said:

I prefer the 2nd, all-DkGreen version with LBG roof 🤗. But, I'd make the wagon longer for better proportions.

17 minutes ago, ivanlan9 said:

I agree with @Selander, make the passenger car longer.  But I also prefer the first version with the brown stripes!

Can you actually buy the dark green train windows?  I didn't think think they ever made those (but I bet a cloner did).

I hear I hear. Not sure I oblige tho, as the slightly chubby look is growing on me. :pir-laugh:

As fir the doors; you are both correct. However when I ordered the XL-drivers from BlueBrixx, wheels might not have been the only thing that made it into the shopping basket...

13 minutes ago, Darkkostas25 said:

Better with brown striping

I tend to agree - it adds a little something to the chubbiness ...

1 hour ago, ivanlan9 said:

Can you actually buy the dark green train windows?

Yes. 25 for €4,95. OK, you need the glass as well; 50 for €6,95. Hmm, that totals to €16,85 for 50 windows = 4.16 cars of this type.

Very nice cars, these are!!!

All the best,
Thorsten

What about brown striping surrounding black bricks? (Basically a black box, with brown stripe around it) Would that look good?

Edited by Murdoch17

Purely personal taste, but I don't like the look of the brown stripes on dark green. What about yellow stripes for something bold or maybe normal green stripes for something a little subtle?

On 1/10/2024 at 1:55 PM, Feuer Zug said:

I prefer the plain variant. It reminds me of the old DB coaches.

For a start I think it will be the plain variant. Mostly due to costs... :pir-murder:

On 1/10/2024 at 5:21 PM, Murdoch17 said:

What about brown striping surrounding black bricks? (Basically a black box, with brown stripe around it) Would that look good?

On 1/12/2024 at 2:18 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Purely personal taste, but I don't like the look of the brown stripes on dark green. What about yellow stripes for something bold or maybe normal green stripes for something a little subtle?

Would you prefer to see some custom stickers in there to break it of?

There have also been major updates done! As always the photo-quality is absolutely awful, but hopefully you'll get the idea.

Lego DB BR01 updatesLego DB BR01 updates

My current thoughts goes as follows: I want to add brakes between the drivers. Not only will it add some more detail but also give it slightly better proportions. I'm also considering making the cab 1 stud longer, yes/no? Furthermore the blast pipes/cylinders are, well, not so done. Other than that I think it's nearly done!

20 hours ago, -DoNe- said:

Would you prefer to see some custom stickers in there to break it of?

There's nothing wrong with brown stripes on dark green, it is purely a matter of personal taste. To my eye there isn't enough contrast between brown and dark green so the stripes might disappear at a distance in medium light. A high contrast, e.g., yellow/gold, or medium contrast, e.g., normal green, would make the stripes more pronounced. But there is a time and place for subtlety and this might be such a case.

A few more updates. I have cleaned up the details around the boiler (still got some pipes to add before it is complete). The cabin got a slight rework as well. With part #60592 being a placeholder until I can get my hands on a pair of #7026. A final touch which was added is the stickers for set #7750 (from Brickstickershop). Which added some welcomed contrasting color. 

Lego DB BR01 updates

Lego DB BR01 updates

Edited by -DoNe-

I like it, very much !! Decals from brickstickershop, I dare assume....? They contributed a lot.

40 minutes ago, Selander said:

I like it, very much !! Decals from brickstickershop, I dare assume....? They contributed a lot.

Thanks! Haha yes indeed from brickstickershop.