Khargeust

Are classic themes dead ?

6 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

Presumably the same as trans-neon orange on a slightly later timescale, the colour appears to be being phased out.

Lego do have the ability to bring back any colour they want, should the need arise (I still have hope for a Sand Purple return) so the discontinuation of the trans-neon green/orange colours means probably no faithful M-Tron release next year - but shouldn't preclude them releasing an M-Tron set in an unspecified future time.

It seems very unlikely to me they bring back a colour once it is retired. They might rather bring a new, similar one in that case. If they would bring an M-Tron Set, I think they would just use transparent bright orange. I mean they did the same with the Lightyear Spaceship.

6 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

It seems very unlikely to me they bring back a colour once it is retired. They might rather bring a new, similar one in that case. If they would bring an M-Tron Set, I think they would just use transparent bright orange. I mean they did the same with the Lightyear Spaceship.

Unlikely but crucially not unprecedented - Dark Turquoise successfully returned after an exile of several years, and while I believe it's the only colour to return after being formally discontinued, it does set the precedent that Lego can bring back a colour if they feel the need is there.

I agree with you that Lego aren't likely to bring back a colour just for a tribute set (be it trans-neon green for M-Tron, or blue-violet for Knight's Kingdom, or medium dark pink for the people who really loved that one Basic bucket back in the 90s) but I do think there remains the possibility that the colour could be returned independent of its use in a tribute set.

The trans-neon colors were pretty cool, especially neon orange. I hope they're just on pause for some reason. Maybe to get the dye mix right with the new transparent plastic?

4 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

It seems very unlikely to me they bring back a colour once it is retired. They might rather bring a new, similar one in that case. 

Teal says hi (to be fair, it is a slightly new shade, but it is effectively the same colour). 

4 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

I think they would just use transparent bright orange. I mean they did the same with the Lightyear Spaceship.

The Lightyear ship uses the same trans-yellow that has existed since Classic Space began; it may look a bit different due to the switch to MABS, though. 

On 10/27/2023 at 12:34 AM, Classic_Spaceman said:

Teal says hi (to be fair, it is a slightly new shade, but it is effectively the same colour). 

I don't think it is a new shade, at least beyond the natural variation that all Lego colours have even within a set. I've basically spent the last four years sorting constantly, to the point where I can tell even very similar colours like old/new light grey or the two variants of the original pink apart even in poor lighting - I still can't separate old and new turquoise parts unless the moulds were only produced on one side of the colour's hiatus.

If it is a different shade, the difference is so slight that - functionally, to the extent it matters to the consumer - it's no difference at all.

19 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I don't think it is a new shade, at least beyond the natural variation that all Lego colours have even within a set. I've basically spent the last four years sorting constantly, to the point where I can tell even very similar colours like old/new light grey or the two variants of the original pink apart even in poor lighting - I still can't separate old and new turquoise parts unless the moulds were only produced on one side of the colour's hiatus.

If it is a different shade, the difference is so slight that - functionally, to the extent it matters to the consumer - it's no difference at all.

OK; I did not realise that! BrickLink has them listed as different colours, but I suppose that may just be another of their odd decisions regarding colours. 

3 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

OK; I did not realise that! BrickLink has them listed as different colours, but I suppose that may just be another of their odd decisions regarding colours.

They don't, though? BrickLink lists Bright Bluish Green parts as Dark Turquoise, whether from the 90s/00s or from from 2018–2023. Unless by "teal" you meant a different color — but Bright Bluish Green is the only specific color on the current palette that LEGO retired and then later brought back.

He might be mistakenly referring to the color known on Bricklink as "Light Turquoise", which is a similar-but-different color that fell out of use after 2004.

Edited by Canticleer blues

20 hours ago, Aanchir said:

They don't, though? BrickLink lists Bright Bluish Green parts as Dark Turquoise, whether from the 90s/00s or from from 2018–2023. Unless by "teal" you meant a different color — but Bright Bluish Green is the only specific color on the current palette that LEGO retired and then later brought back.

18 hours ago, Canticleer blues said:

He might be mistakenly referring to the color known on Bricklink as "Light Turquoise", which is a similar-but-different color that fell out of use after 2004.

Ah - I definitely got those confused! 

Classic sets are targeted for those who just want to build something with Lego without preference for any particular theme, and are very sensitive in price, and have to get most from the Lego they get, classic sets are for these people, for example, you get three designs for 3in1 sets and you usually get the most bricks from them, after that of Icon sets.

On 11/26/2023 at 12:12 AM, ks6349 said:

Classic sets are targeted for those who just want to build something with Lego without preference for any particular theme, and are very sensitive in price, and have to get most from the Lego they get, classic sets are for these people, for example, you get three designs for 3in1 sets and you usually get the most bricks from them, after that of Icon sets.

The modern sets sold under the name Classic are very different to Classic themes. Someone wanting Classic Castle, Space or Pirates typically has a very strong preference for what they want.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

The modern sets sold under the name Classic are very different to Classic themes. Someone wanting Classic Castle, Space or Pirates typically has a very strong preference for what they want.

But this is now

Ten years ago, there were bricks and more sets based on pirates, Castle, princesses,...

3 minutes ago, El Garfio said:

But this is now

Ten years ago, there were bricks and more sets based on pirates, Castle, princesses,...

There are still many bricks produced that can be used for pirates, castle, etc. if you are imaginative about where to look. And the last few years have brought some excellent sets for all three Classic themes. Of course, they are big and somewhat expensive, but then they are aimed at nostalgic adults rather than kids.

40 minutes ago, MAB said:

There are still many bricks produced that can be used for pirates, castle, etc. if you are imaginative about where to look. And the last few years have brought some excellent sets for all three Classic themes. Of course, they are big and somewhat expensive, but then they are aimed at nostalgic adults rather than kids.

Yes

Due to it when I see, in bricklink, a local seller that have stock of doors or windows that can be used for pirates or medieval buildings I buy them all