BrickJagger

Lego Icons 10332 Medieval Town Square Discussion Thread

16 minutes ago, Sir Dano said:

They'll probably just reuse this with a different hairpiece.

cas570.png

I agree.  I think they used the vest torso on the Blacksmith because it is gender neutral for a set with few minifigures.  On a set with ~10 minifigures, that's not as critical for play value.

40 minutes ago, Mopasali said:

I agree.  I think they used the vest torso on the Blacksmith because it is gender neutral for a set with few minifigures.  On a set with ~10 minifigures, that's not as critical for play value.

Probably because of budget restraints, Ideas set normally have a crappy budget:def_shrug: They made a new horse and black falcon figs after all..

1 hour ago, Sir Dano said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the hairpiece turns up again too, tbf. Hopefully not on the same minifigure as the torso though.

The green lady is a nice minifig when you have a low budget left and only can print the torso, but looks rather plain compared the 3 ladys on the previous page 12-14 years old *huh*

I wouldn't mind. I deliberately didn't buy an extra torso of this type with the upcoming Medieval Village in mind.

1 hour ago, Sir Dano said:

Lego has changed over the past 12-14 years.

I don't know what happened but the quality of some parts/prints has gone down. Missing those 1-3 year lifespan original themes like agents, power miners, and Pharoh's quest. But hey at least it seems they are somewhat listening to fans more by partially restoring castle, space, and pirates and some of the new figures are incredible.

12 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I honestly don't even recognise the first two, didn't know they existed. The first one is perfect, though the second imo doesn't quite fit (it feels more Piratey, I guess it could work but it's not what I envisaged)

The third fig is one I desperately want but it feels more generic peasant/farmer's wife to me.

(Now to look up the price of the first one and regret everything :pir-wench:)

I've got all 3 of those torso's but I don't have the MMV set ifself.  I have 2 of the second one, can't remember exactly how I got them.  They are all very nice and very useful for common folk.  I don't have the skirt piece for the second one but I think it still works for peasants or a barmaid.  Hopefully the new Market village set has some new prints but we will see soon I hope.  

21 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

though the second imo doesn't quite fit (it feels more Piratey, I guess it could work but it's not what I envisaged)

8 hours ago, zoth33 said:

I've got all 3 of those torso's but I don't have the MMV set ifself.  I have 2 of the second one, can't remember exactly how I got them.

The torso was also used in several Pirates set so you might have got it there :pir-wench:

Do you think Dragon's Keep: Journey's End will be in scale with MTS etc?

12 hours ago, Sir Dano said:

cas570.png

10 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the hairpiece turns up again too, tbf. Hopefully not on the same minifigure as the torso though.

We need far more of these.

This is not a hairpiece, it's a linen cap. Something like this. Every single woman on a medieval street would have worn one (and men would have worn other types of hats, no one went bare-headed). Not that historical accuracy matters much when it comes to official sets, but for MOCers building somewhat accurate medieval scenes, this new cap piece is a blessing.

2 hours ago, Mandalore_The_Indomitable said:

We need far more of these.

This is not a hairpiece, it's a linen cap. Something like this. Every single woman on a medieval street would have worn one (and men would have worn other types of hats, no one went bare-headed). Not that historical accuracy matters much when it comes to official sets, but for MOCers building somewhat accurate medieval scenes, this new cap piece is a blessing.

Yes, completely agree - it's the bit I was most excited for when 10305 was revealed. Lego's options for headgear for medieval women of all classes have been limited, especially since the loss of the hennin. Long may this one endure!

8 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

Yes, completely agree - it's the bit I was most excited for when 10305 was revealed. Lego's options for headgear for medieval women of all classes have been limited, especially since the loss of the hennin. Long may this one endure!

Funnily enough, it wasn't even a new mold for 10305 (even though it's the first time it's been seen in the Castle theme) — rather, it's an unprinted version of the headgear from the Minifigures Series 13 Egyptian Warrior and Series 19 Mummy Queen! It definitely showcases how much hidden potential even molds created for non-medieval themes/settings can have for Castle sets and minifigures.

For my part, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the civilian characters in this set share molds or prints with those in 10305, but I also don't expect so much repetition that characters end up copying their entire outfit from those they share parts with. After all, from what I can tell this is intended to work as sort of a companion piece to 10305, which wouldn't work so well if you wind up with several near-identical civilians walking around! Still, there are ways to repurpose some of these prints without it feeling totally "redundant". For example, the peasant/cart driver minifig's torso could be used on a child character, or on an older character with a molded beard in place of that figure's pannier (and of course, there's no obligation for LEGO to pair it with the same hat or same color trousers).

And just as 10305 reused the torso from the Minifigures Series 22 Troubadour for the prince/young master (and the shield from the Series 23 Knight of the Yellow Castle for one of its decorative coats-of-arms), this set could potentially reuse prints from Minifigures Series 24 or 25, so long as its development schedule has lined up correctly for the designers to take advantage of such options. Prints from other themes can sometimes also be used to great effect. After all, there's nothing about the design of the blacksmith from 21325 or the miller/chef from 10305 which would automatically clue you in that their leg print had been introduced seven years earlier for a LEGO City barista unless you were aware of those earlier uses!

9 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I would love to see new headgear for civilians in this set but wouldn´t really suspect it, since it kinda seems to me that the budget is quite tight there - but I really hope it was used on good prints on the minifigs. The more different new civilian pieces the better. 

1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

I would love to see new headgear for civilians in this set but wouldn´t really suspect it, since it kinda seems to me that the budget is quite tight there - but I really hope it was used on good prints on the minifigs. The more different new civilian pieces the better. 

I actually think the opportunity for a new hennin was in 10305 - they're associated with nobility rather than peasantry, so if they didn't plump for one in the big budget Castle set (where it would make sense), they're not likely to bring one into a more civilian-focused set.

15 hours ago, Roebuck said:

The torso was also used in several Pirates set so you might have got it there :pir-wench:

Do you think Dragon's Keep: Journey's End will be in scale with MTS etc?

Not sure if they will be the same.  Judging by the pictures they seem pretty close.  I'm really interested to see how they do the figs in the D&D set.  

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Funnily enough, it wasn't even a new mold for 10305 (even though it's the first time it's been seen in the Castle theme) — rather, it's an unprinted version of the headgear from the Minifigures Series 13 Egyptian Warrior and Series 19 Mummy Queen! It definitely showcases how much hidden potential even molds created for non-medieval themes/settings can have for Castle sets and minifigures.

For my part, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the civilian characters in this set share molds or prints with those in 10305, but I also don't expect so much repetition that characters end up copying their entire outfit from those they share parts with. After all, from what I can tell this is intended to work as sort of a companion piece to 10305, which wouldn't work so well if you wind up with several near-identical civilians walking around! Still, there are ways to repurpose some of these prints without it feeling totally "redundant". For example, the peasant/cart driver minifig's torso could be used on a child character, or on an older character with a molded beard in place of that figure's pannier (and of course, there's no obligation for LEGO to pair it with the same hat or same color trousers).

And just as 10305 reused the torso from the Minifigures Series 22 Troubadour for the prince/young master (and the shield from the Series 23 Knight of the Yellow Castle for one of its decorative coats-of-arms), this set could potentially reuse prints from Minifigures Series 24 or 25, so long as its development schedule has lined up correctly for the designers to take advantage of such options. Prints from other themes can sometimes also be used to great effect. After all, there's nothing about the design of the blacksmith from 21325 or the miller/chef from 10305 which would automatically clue you in that their leg print had been introduced seven years earlier for a LEGO City barista unless you were aware of those earlier uses!

Yeah I like both of those figs.  I have some of the warrior and a couple mummy queens.  It will be interesting to see what we get for prints and new molds from this set.  Hoping for new prints and possibly different hair or hats.  

5 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I actually think the opportunity for a new hennin was in 10305 - they're associated with nobility rather than peasantry, so if they didn't plump for one in the big budget Castle set (where it would make sense), they're not likely to bring one into a more civilian-focused set.

The innkeeper for the original Guarded Inn had a hennin, though, so I can see LEGO including a new one in the MTS; additionally, I am not sure where it would have fit in the LKC (maybe for the Lady?). 

13 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The innkeeper for the original Guarded Inn had a hennin, though, so I can see LEGO including a new one in the MTS; additionally, I am not sure where it would have fit in the LKC (maybe for the Lady?). 

True, though it was also included in the Maiden's Cart, so it could have been that since it was an active medieval mould they decided to include it rather than making a new mould for a cap (especially since the hennin was never frequently used even though it was the only medieval women's headwear mould during the golden age of Castle; two moulds wouldn't have been worth it). Nowadays it's not an active mould, and they do have the cap already so there's less need to make a new part. I suspect they could have found a use for a hennin in the LKC if they wanted to, possibly even as an accessory/alternate headwear option for the Queen.

1 hour ago, Alexandrina said:

True, though it was also included in the Maiden's Cart, so it could have been that since it was an active medieval mould they decided to include it rather than making a new mould for a cap (especially since the hennin was never frequently used even though it was the only medieval women's headwear mould during the golden age of Castle; two moulds wouldn't have been worth it). Nowadays it's not an active mould, and they do have the cap already so there's less need to make a new part. I suspect they could have found a use for a hennin in the LKC if they wanted to, possibly even as an accessory/alternate headwear option for the Queen.

They definitely reused it in the Guarded Inn because it was already in production, and so that the innkeeper looked Medieval (just using hair would have made her look like a Town Minifig).
Regarding the LKC, sets have change (print/recolour/mould) budgets, so if we had gotten a new hennin mould, it would have been at the expense of another new part; the MTS will have its own budget, so new elements are basically a given (and since the goat was made with the CMF budget, we have another potential slot for a new part in the MTS). IMO, we will see the return of the classic hennin (or an updated version thereof) in the MTS, as it is an iconic Castle part. 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

the MTS will have its own budget, so new elements are basically a given (and since the goat was made with the CMF budget, we have another potential slot for a new part in the MTS). IMO, we will see the return of the classic hennin (or an updated version thereof) in the MTS, as it is an iconic Castle part. 

The castle only had one new part and that probably had a bigger budget so not so sure :sceptic: That is the problem with one off sets they have a smaller budget than say a wave of City sets, so even if not all City sets have new parts several of them will. If we get one my guess/hope is that it is a goat kid :tongue:

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

The castle only had one new part and that probably had a bigger budget so not so sure :sceptic: That is the problem with one off sets they have a smaller budget than say a wave of City sets, so even if not all City sets have new parts several of them will. If we get one my guess/hope is that it is a goat kid :tongue:

That would be cool but I doubt that a goat kid is coming in that set.  I'm hoping for different prints on torsos and shields.  I'm sure a goat kid will come at some point probably not in this set though.  

5 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

IMO, we will see the return of the classic hennin (or an updated version thereof) in the MTS, as it is an iconic Castle part. 

I absolutely hope you're right!

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

If we get one my guess/hope is that it is a goat kid

Honestly if the only new mould we get is a baby goat I'll be disappointed. Now that goats are back in Lego form, it's inevitable that they'll show up in City sets sooner or later, and we can get the kid mould then. I'd much prefer that Lego prioritise Medieval-specific moulds with the MMV budget - stuff that we're unlikely to get in other sets any time soon. A hennin or something similar would be a far greater gain in the long run than something we'll probably have by 2025 anyway.

If we were to get a new female head dress, I'd prefer a completely new shape like a truncated hennin, or even one where the braids of a lady's hair are visible (though I know usually a hennin covered the scalp).

51 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

If we were to get a new female head dress, I'd prefer a completely new shape like a truncated hennin, or even one where the braids of a lady's hair are visible (though I know usually a hennin covered the scalp).

Like Anna’s braided hairpiece from Disney CMF Series 2?

8 hours ago, zoth33 said:

That would be cool but I doubt that a goat kid is coming in that set.  I'm hoping for different prints on torsos and shields.  I'm sure a goat kid will come at some point probably not in this set though.  

You might be right :classic: However prints are much cheaper than new parts  so we will get several of them regardless of a new mould or not. I wonder if it is possible to turn down a new part in the budget and instead include a lot more prints tough, if so how many prints to you get for a new mould :shrug_oh_well:

6 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

Honestly if the only new mould we get is a baby goat I'll be disappointed. Now that goats are back in Lego form, it's inevitable that they'll show up in City sets sooner or later, and we can get the kid mould then. I'd much prefer that Lego prioritise Medieval-specific moulds with the MMV budget - stuff that we're unlikely to get in other sets any time soon. A hennin or something similar would be a far greater gain in the long run than something we'll probably have by 2025 anyway.

You might be right :classic: The way I see it it that the goat was number 1 mould on the list for this set:wub: Question then is why did they use the CMF budget to bring it back, was it because they could not afford a mould or was it because they where smart and made something else instead for their budget?!

7 hours ago, Lion King said:

Like Anna’s braided hairpiece from Disney CMF Series 2?

Well, she doesn'y wear a hennin, but the idea is there