Huigberts Builds

Disney Properties 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

31 minutes ago, hikouki said:

Is there an existing monkey mould that can be used for this? I feel like Lego will either re-use existing minidoll line moulds or vice versa. So far, I don't mind. Little Mermaid and Moana companions seem to work.

I think you could get away with the latest City monkey to be honest. New eye printing, and ideally a waistcoat print too? But the problem with all of them is the hat. Could you get away with trying to create Abu without the hat? Disney might not even allow it. So you'd need to create some kind of new mould regardless.

Just got my Up House and the Disney Anniversary Train.

I order the Up House without having watched the film, as I like most things Disney. LOL

Just watched the film last night. Now, I do wonder why Kevin was not included in that set.

1 hour ago, hikouki said:

Just got my Up House and the Disney Anniversary Train.

I order the Up House without having watched the film, as I like most things Disney. LOL

Just watched the film last night. Now, I do wonder why Kevin was not included in that set.

Hope you're enjoying the sets. I think they've done a good job with the exterior of the house, but there are a few missing things that bother me like the lack of Ellie's armchair, no handprints on the mailbox, and no stairlift with stairs.

I wonder if there will perhaps be a D2C Up set in the future with a much larger house that could include Kevin and potentially Ellie as well. Maybe even a young Carl and Ellie as newlyweds.

52 minutes ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Hope you're enjoying the sets. I think they've done a good job with the exterior of the house, but there are a few missing things that bother me like the lack of Ellie's armchair, no handprints on the mailbox, and no stairlift with stairs.

I wonder if there will perhaps be a D2C Up set in the future with a much larger house that could include Kevin and potentially Ellie as well. Maybe even a young Carl and Ellie as newlyweds.

Someone already made a back section of the house on Rebrickable!

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-144424/rykfield/up-house-addition/#details

No interiors though on that addition.

I think that as it is, this set has too many stickers to be considered 'premium' or for AFOLs. Way too many stickers. I think perhaps Lego was testing the waters with this release. 

Wouldn't it be too soon to re-release this? Maybe the Airship as a next release?

3 hours ago, hikouki said:

Someone already made a back section of the house on Rebrickable!

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-144424/rykfield/up-house-addition/#details

No interiors though on that addition.

I think that as it is, this set has too many stickers to be considered 'premium' or for AFOLs. Way too many stickers. I think perhaps Lego was testing the waters with this release. 

Wouldn't it be too soon to re-release this? Maybe the Airship as a next release?

Thanks for sharing!

A YouTuber already bought two sets and combined them into one as seen in the video below. The back of the house is just the front of the house flipped though. However, I thought the video might be of some interest to people on here because it shows how the house looks if you add more balloons to it as well as instructions on how to add them.

With all the stickers, it's a shame they couldn't come up with one more for the mailbox with Carl and Ellie's handprints but I guess the mailbox is so small that it would be almost impossible to apply a sticker to it.

I'm thinking of the Harry Potter line where we're getting a new playline Hogwarts Express train after the last one just retired a few months ago while a D2C train is still more or less newly available. Then we're getting a playline Weasley's Wizard Wheezes set even though the D2C Diagon Alley already features that. And then there's also the survey leak of a new D2C Burrow when there was one on shelves not too long ago. Disney is a separate IP obviously, but considering how the Up house has already been labeled a bestseller, I could see Lego capitalizing on its popularity by making a larger version in the future. I know some people have been speculating about the airship being the next Up set that could release but I feel the airship doesn't really have the same level of recognition or pop culture relevance like the house does. 

Edited by JeanGreyForever

Little Mermaid Castle leaked. It’s minifigures and based on the new live action.

looks like a bit of a mess IMO but I’m sure some people will be happy

Huh. I fully expected this to be a minidoll set, so that‘s a surprise! Looks pretty cool. Also, interesting that they brought the old mermaid tail back! 

This is such a cool set! Very surprised that it's minifigures but thrilled that it is! Definitely a day one purchase for me, The Little Mermaid is my favorite Disney movie and I've been looking forward to the remake for a long time.

Ehh not super thrilled with the set. As mentioned by others, seems all over the place. HOWEVER, getting minifigs in the set seems to give a great deal of hope moving forward with Disney sets IMO. 

Have to admit, reallllly wanted them to be the animated characters, specifically for King Triton but can’t have it all I guess.

Also, kills me that poor Sebastian is just a basic crab piece lol

Edited by DisneyLego

Wow I totally didn't expect Lego to go this way with this set. My initial reaction was a huge pass. It's from the new film ( and I literally don't care who is playing who ) but this isn't classic Disney to me. The large clam shell looks bulky and a bit of a mess, the set seems very all over the place. I saw on another image the 5 minifigures included .. five ?? FIVE .. are you having a laugh Lego. Also in the minifigure lineup because the mermaids all use 'tall' tails it makes Ursula look like she's small !! Clearer images will help me decide and I'll wait until a double VIP event for this one .. and even then it's a maybe ! There are some that will love this though .. we're all different :)

I'm glad they did the remake rather than just giving us the CMF Ariel and Ursula again (plus I love the extra details the minifigure printing gets when it's based on live action source material). The overall build is a bit funky, but I'm betting this is one of those sets that looks better in person. I actually have a pretty good feeling about the quality of the movie remake, so I think this was worth the tie-in.

I actually wouldn't mind if the upcoming Peter Pan set was based on the remake as well, the last trailer looked pretty good.

Edited by strangely

I love how they show the red crab in the minifigure line up and call it Sebastian. :roflmao: Okay so he's a live crab (ish) not animated, but he's hardly a minifigure.

Edited by BacktoBricks

I'll reserve judgement for when we get the 360, but I'm a bit disappointed this isn't more similar to Elsa's Castle, at least for consistency's sake.

EDIT: Just realised it's based on the live-action remake and... skip.

Edited by CodFather1

21 minutes ago, CodFather1 said:

I'll reserve judgement for when we get the 360, but I'm a bit disappointed this isn't more similar to Elsa's Castle, at least for consistency's sake.

EDIT: Just realised it's based on the live-action remake and... skip.

Same, actually was planning on this forcing me to buy the ice castle to display aside of it. Disney recently did a “castle” product line not long ago and thought LEGO was about to do the same thing. This will likely be a hard pass for me unless I come across it with a hefty discount on it. 

Odd to me that they went more towards adult collectors with this set who grew up with the animated original yet went the live action minifig route. Aside from that, it really isn’t that “display shelf” worthy (obviously that’s just my opinion).

Edited by DisneyLego

Would rather have all of her sisters included instead of Triton and Ursula but 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ll still get it, very excited for the remake although I was looking forward to an actual castle. 

24 minutes ago, strangely said:

I'm glad they did the remake rather than just giving us the CMF Ariel and Ursula again (plus I love the extra details the minifigure printing gets when it's based on live action source material).

Well, apart from minor tweaks like facial expression updates and using the new mermaid tail, Triton and the other two mermaids would’ve sufficed for me to get the set IF it was both based on the classic and it was actually a palace haha. They could’ve also thrown in small out-of-the-sea scenes so we could get human Ariel, prince Eric and even Ursula in her human form.

The way they went for this design is weird to me. A big funky display piece like this, specially considering the price, is only justifiable for actual iconic well-known movies IMO, meaning it needed to be based on the classic one at least. I’m trying to say this kind of icon set doesn’t fit a live action remake which isn’t even out yet. 

For a set this size not to include all of Ariel's sisters is a bit frustrating. It's annoying how LEGO continues to skimp out on minifigure selection in their larger sets. Glad this exists though, hope this means more large Disney sets in the future! Would love a D2C Beast's Castle or Rapunzel's Tower.

28 minutes ago, Brickity said:

The way they went for this design is weird to me. A big funky display piece like this, specially considering the price, is only justifiable for actual iconic well-known movies IMO, meaning it needed to be based on the classic one at least. I’m trying to say this kind of icon set doesn’t fit a live action remake which isn’t even out yet. 

I agree that the classic one makes more sense for this type of set. But I'll say the remakes are kind of rule defying at times.

The Beauty and the Beast remake was middling at best, but ended up making over a billion in theaters and who knows how much in merchandising. I think the nostalgia of the original carried the remake and it's possible that'll happen again with the Little Mermaid. So from Lego's vantage point, it kind of makes sense to jump into the remake merchandising pool. Even if the movie sucks, they'll still likely sell a lot of toys.

And based on the amount of large sets they've been putting out, it seems like Lego is confident there's a market for these price points.

Edited by strangely

For kids growing up now, many of the remakes ARE the definitive version. I can see why they wouldnt resonate with adults that grew up with the originals, but I'm not shitting on kids that love the remakes. The set looks great to me.

Edited by bricksandabear

1 hour ago, BacktoBricks said:

I love how they show the red crab in the minifigure line up and call it Sebastian. :roflmao:

OMG! That's such a big miss. That crab mould could have been updated to something more modern, and more in-keeping with the rest of the set, but no. What a shame.

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

OMG! That's such a big miss. That crab mould could have been updated to something more modern, and more in-keeping with the rest of the set, but no. What a shame.

They've actually done Sebastian in the past as well. Sure it was more in the minidoll style, but it actually looks like Sebastian. :facepalm:

3 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

I love how they show the red crab in the minifigure line up and call it Sebastian. :roflmao:

Peak comedy from their part, I love it so much. It's just like when they added 3 random lego city bystanders to the Daily Bugle and gave them names to make them look like actual characters.

2 hours ago, EdWebhead said:

For a set this size not to include all of Ariel's sisters is a bit frustrating. It's annoying how LEGO continues to skimp out on minifigure selection in their larger sets. Glad this exists though, hope this means more large Disney sets in the future! Would love a D2C Beast's Castle or Rapunzel's Tower.

Not that I disagree with you, but I genuinely have no recollection of Ariel having any sisters. Is this a thing for the sequels or am I just getting old?